Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Strawberry Harvest Lager - Abita Brewing Co.

Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

Reviews: 383 | Hads: 1,223

Frothy white head that retains an almost one-finger width. Lots of bubbles on the glass. The body is a hazy, orange-golden color.

Smells of real strawberries/strawberry candy.

Taste: grain backbone, but mostly forward strawberry. A little bread. Slightly sweet. A minute hop finish. Bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: fluffy, carbonated.

Finishes mostly dry, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall: this is the best fruit-infused beer I have had this far. This is a superior beer for its category, and a very excellent beer overall. (527 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +40.4%

This is my first review, so here it goes

A-Poured quickley down the center of a pint glass, had a thick white head that stuck around for a while. The beer was gold in color, transparent and lightly carbonated

S- Smelled like strawberry shortcake champagne. Fresh strawberry smell, nothing fake about it

T- Starts with a watery wheat with a litte grain. Small hint of citus in the hop profile. Finishes sweet strawberry, almost causes strawberry breath

M- Light in the mouth with light carbonation. Finishes sweet on the back of the tounge and dry on the palate

Overall this is a solid fruit beer! I am no a big fruit beer guy, but after drinking a 6 pack this will be my go to fruit beer. I actually called Pints o Plenty In forrest VA to see if they could get me a keg (774 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +35.9%

The message, as I departed Boston in June 2007, seemed to be "Drink FRESH lagers!" Aye aye.

From the bottle: "Abita Strawberry Harvest is a lager brewed with pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. Real Louisiana strawberry juice is added after filtration, resulting in a crisp lager with a sweet strawberry flavor, aroma and haze."

The pour produced a good, thick, bone-white head with decent retention. The color was a slightly hazy deep-gold. The nose was somewhere between jam and the syrupy stuff that my Strawberry Shrimp at Auburn Ale House came in. Very strawberry. The mouthfeel was medium with a sweet strawberry taste on the tongue. The finish was like liquid strawberry preserves.

Okay, quick test - knowing that I am a self-avowed hophead, how is this going to fly with me? Check the drinkability rating! I have a thing for strawberries, dating back to when I was a wee lad and they made "Freckle-Faced Strawberry" Funny Faces Fruit Drink.

I used to feel like an outcast because of my red hair and freckles, but Freckle-Faced Strawberry empowered me and even led me to my first girlfriend at the age of four, a fellow redhead. Long live strawberries!

What the heck, I have another bottle, so I may as well revisit this to see if my mind has changed. Nope, not really. It is plenty sweet, though, so be aware of that part about it. (1,394 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +35.3%

This is my favorite beer by far. I drive 1400 miles to get it every year and fill my little car with all I can fit in and then I keep it cold in my second fridge. There's nothing about this beer that I don't like and my friends love it too! I wish they made it year round and got rid of the Pecan Ale which is not very good! (324 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Call me a girly girl, but this is seriously one of my all-time favorite beers. I love the light airy quality of all of Abita's beers (as a Louisiana native, I can testify that it has a LOT to do with the amazing water quality in Abita Springs - where their other major industry is bottled water). The clean crisp refreshing flavor of an Abita Strawberry harvest is absolutely delightful. Not to mention the strawberries are fresh from one town over and leave a very strong strawberry aftertaste in one's mouth. I am thankful that this "seasonal beer" is usually lingering on the shelves for about half of the year. (614 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this on vacation in New Orleans, I found this brew uptown at in oyster bar. One of the best fruit flavored beers that I have ever tried. Very crisp and clean. (164 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +29.7%

A: Comes out a mild and slightly hazy amber with a very good amount of carbonation.

S: Smells of strawberry. Yes! I'm glad this actually smells of fruit. It has a very sweet and appealing scent to it. Has a familiar lager smell.

T: It's very mellow and wheaty. It tastes of strawberries but it's very light and airy.

M: It's very light and gentle.

O: Overall this is a really good beer. It tastes of fruit without being syrupy and is very clean. I would buy it again if I was looking for a strawberry beer. (511 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +28%

Really has a good taste from the aroma and hints of strawberry, actually seems to have a slight shortcake linger, definitely is a great beer. Draft seems to carry a better flavor profile than the shelf bought. My go to any time I find it on draft. It's not overpowering with fruit flavor a great balance! (305 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +27.7%

Finally, it's Abita Strawberry time again. I can't wait for this beer to come out every year.

When you open the bottle, you can instantly smell the fragrance of ripe strawberries. I love popping the top and savoring the smell before I start drinking the beer.

The taste is obviously strawberry, but not overpoweringly so. The fruit flavor is balanced just right with the hops and barley tastes.

The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, more so than most beers I have tried.

Drinkability is high - for those who like fruit-flavored beers, the taste is so good that the beer just goes down easy.

I always try to stock up on this one, but it never works out because I always drink these before anything else I have in the fridge. (726 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +26.8%

Pours a fairly clear pale yellow color with a fluffy white head that has decent retention and really nice lacing.

Nose is sniffalicious! Fresh strawberries are, of course, the main attraction with a few hints of light graininess and lagery sulfur. Clean and fresh smelling beer.

Wow, nectar of the gods? Strawberry flavor is subtle, yet omnipresent with a nice dose of light malt graininess. It would not surprise me if there was some wheat in here as well, as I get a bit of tartness near the end. This is one helluva refreshing beer. It's delicate, so drink it before any palate wreckers. Great job Abita! (610 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

Being a fan of other Abita offerings, I thought I'd give this a shot. I'm glad I did. I find it to be very refreshing. I buy this everytime my local beer store carries it. It certainly isn't for everyone. If you don't like fruit beers, certainly avoid this one, because it is strong on the strawberry flavor. If you fancy fruit beers and would like to try something that would go down so smooth on a warm summer evening, then this is indeed your beer. I currently have some in the fridge, which I can't wait to get home to. I drank it last night and it was wonderful. (567 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

First, I'm not much of a fruit beer person, not a real fan of the Abita purple haze but I really like this seasonal offering. My wife and I drove an hour and a half to Nashville to try the strawberry. Then we drove back to pick up 3 more cases.

Appearance: golden color no trace of red so it looks to be all natural, no dye

Smell: it is more bready and buttery with a hint of strawberry. That was a surprise

Taste: the initial taste is almost of shortbread and that aftertaste is the strawberry. Very nice progression.

Mouthfeel: consistent Abita carbonation. Very crisp.

Drinkability: my first bottle was paired with a spicy Cajun salmon. The Cajun spice pairs wonderfully, wonderfully with the strawberry lager. We bought the other 3 cases. We host a crawfish boil and can't wait to try the brew with the crustaceans. Looking forward to enjoying one on the lawmower tomorrow. (884 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a distinct strawberry aroma with some wheat
Appearance- Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a thick white head.
Taste- You can taste the strawberry, my first thought was that this would be a nice session beer on a hot day. Nice flavor.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Has a creamy texture.
Overall- A nice beer from Abita, I will drink this again. (428 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very light straw colored with a perfectly wihte 2 finger head with very good retention

S - MMM...smells just like strawberries. Not much else there. Just sweet strawberries

T - I love the strawberry taste of this beer. Its not overdone at all and it tastes like actual strawberries not something artificial. Abita has found the perfect balance of sweetness, malts, and strawberries for this beer. Excellent job.

M - It is a very light beer. Great carbination as well. Feels smooth and silky.

O - I love this beer. I dont care what others think. I look foward to its release each year. Its an easy drinking beer. Its not overly sweet and the stawberries and done very well in it. (694 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +22.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours a solid straw color with a finger of head comprised of big bubbles. This falls fairly fast to a film over top. Clarity is very good, and carbonation is not really active in the glass. Nose is definately all about the fresh strawberry. Its sweet strawberry, but not fake, with a light creamy aspect to it. I think it smells nice. Flavor is not as dominated with the strawberry. The lager base comes through as what I would call a pilsner without the hopping, but is very clean and unobtrusive. This fades into a slightly sweet and very fruity strawberry. I was not expecting to enjoy this one, but I'd rather be suprised this direction than the other. I think the strawberry and the mildly grainey, almost a touch of chalkyness of the base beer compliment each other very well and accentuate the fruit character without it being overbearing. Abita has my attention on this one. Mouthfeel is moderate with a lively moderate carbonation. I think the carbonation level is ideal for the brew. Its not too little, but its not anything that is providing a bite that would interfere with the flavor. Drinkability is great. This one just works for me. Flavors are well balanced and proportioned just right. Excellent. (1,228 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear light golden color with a small quickly dissipating head. Smells of strawberries - fresh strawberries, makes me really want to take that first sip.

Once taking that first sip, I instantly pick up a mild sweet strawberry flavor. The strawberries aren't overpowering which is nice and it doesn't taste artificial like some fruit beers do. I guess that's the fact that only "real fresh ingredients" are used in Abita's harvest brews. Other than strawberry pick up hints of wheat and a good amount of carbonation.

The beer is pretty one note, but it's a delicious clean, crisp, mild strawberry note. I could put back a few of these with no problem. Very drinkable. (676 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer tastes like its name. Actually should have been called strawberries and cream. While I'm not a fan of fruit beers, this is quite tasty, very light and very smooth. Props to Abita for a decent strawberry brew. (218 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +22%

I'm generally not a fan of fruit-infused beers, but Abita is my favorite brewhouse, so I decided to give this one a try. My selection was poured from the standard 12 oz. bottle.

It made a respectable pour with a color that was a good bit lighter than Abita's flagship Amber offering. My hopes for this beer immediately rose when I noticed the smell to have a presence of, but not overpowering by, strawberries. This trend continued to the taste.

This beer is crisp and refreshing, with no bitterness to speak of (which could be good or bad, depending on your tastes). The strawberry flavor is ever-present, but don't assume that it's going to make you forget you're drinking beer. This is a fine fruit beer to try on a hot summer day even if you're not usually a fan of such selections. (793 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer is great for the summer. Very good aroma with a strawbery after taste that is very pleasant. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes beer but wants something with a little different taste.

They are also located close to home so that's nice as well. (267 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +21.5%

One of the best fruit beers I have had in some time. Very, very balanced.

Pours a light gold liquid with a slight hazy and a very generous white head.

Aroma is pleasant and malty with a tinge of strawberries.

The flavor - impeccably good. Not too sweet (like most fruit beers) but also with enough substance to be good. A nice blend of lager crispness and wheat ale tangyness. A little bit of hops. Strawberries are present but not dominant. Lingering aftertaste that moves in a more sweet direction.

Good medium mouthfeel. Not too carbonated. Feels very nice on the tongue.

Overall, a very surprising beer. I liked it! (624 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +20.6%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thin but persistent white head. The aroma is moderately fruity, definitely strawberry with a mild grain aroma. The flavor is moderately malty, a bit grainy and a bit sweet. The beer finishes crisp, dry with a nice reserved strawberry flavor. The body is medium and carbonation moderate-high. Overall a very refreshing well-made beer. Recommend. (386 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a very lightly hazey straw with a touch og light amber added to the color. A thick ring of foam settles afte the with two bubble columns rising to the top. The aroma reminds me of this particular strawberries and cream gummy candy I used to have when I was younger. I can't remember the name of the candy though. The flavor carries on the strawberry and cream smell with some very faint herbal hops jumping around in the background. The palate maintatins a slow recession of the strawberry fruit flavors. But its light, maybe a little syrpy. But still fantastic on the palate. Great for the summer. Relaxing , refreshing, flavorful, and unique. (650 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a stubby 12-oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A: Poured a very light, slightly hazy, yellow color with a sudsy, three-finger head of white carbonation. Slight wisps of yeast are seen floating throughout the brew.

S: Light, fruity aroma of sweet strawberry juice and a slight whiff of spicy hops.

T: Sweet, lightly toasted grains hit the palate first, but the strawberry juice is present right from the get-go. Lightly sweet and sticky strawberry juice imparts a slight candy flavor before a slight tang of wheat malts chime in, setting up for a mildly herbal and semi-dry strawberry finish.

M: Crisp, sweet and refreshing on the palate. Only a little stickiness from the strawbeery juice. Vanguard hops dry the feel enough and wheat malts add a spicy twang also.

O: A tasty, light, great smelling fruit lager, Abita's Strawberry Harvest is not too tough to handle and isn't artificial in any way I can sense. I liked the blend of wheat, light grains and faint strawberries throughout the brew. The 4.2% ABV is highly sessionable and I could see have a few on a sunny bayou. (1,095 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

The head is a gorgeous thick white foam, but it dissipated very quickly. The beer itself is a nice strong dark yellow color.

The first scent that hits is strawberry, along with some peach and a hint of lemon. There's also an interesting pastry scent to it. It smells great and inviting.

The taste is AWESOME. It tastes like a strawberry shortcake-- the strawberry and the bready/grainyness are the two most dominant flavors. It also has a very nice aftertaste, just a mellower version of the main taste.

Mouth feel isn't great. It's a little thinner than I like-- and for something as sweet as this is, I feel like a touch more body would be good. Still though, it IS an excellent mouthfeel for a summer beer-- nice, crisp, and fresh. It's a little low on the carbonation, but it's almost like a bear soda-- you could make a super beer float with this and some vanilla icecream. (882 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

I poured a bottle of a Strawberry Harvest Lager into a mug. It has a light golden color and is rather cloudy. The head is pure white and tended to be moderately thick. There is an obvious strawberry smell, but there is also a prominent yeast scent, which is prevalent in a lot of lighter lagers. It smells a little flowery too. It tastes almost exactly like eating a juicy, ripe strawberry. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth, and somewhat acidic.

This is a very drinkable beer. In fact, I would recommend this not only to fans of fruit beers or light lagers, but also for people who are not big beer drinkers that may like a sweeter beverage. This is definitely not for people who don't like strawberries. (706 characters)

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.