Strawberry Harvest Lager - Abita Brewing Co.

Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

Ratings: 1,200 | Reviews: 401

Frothy white head that retains an almost one-finger width. Lots of bubbles on the glass. The body is a hazy, orange-golden color.

Smells of real strawberries/strawberry candy.

Taste: grain backbone, but mostly forward strawberry. A little bread. Slightly sweet. A minute hop finish. Bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: fluffy, carbonated.

Finishes mostly dry, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall: this is the best fruit-infused beer I have had this far. This is a superior beer for its category, and a very excellent beer overall.

4.97/5  rDev +44.1%

This is my first review, so here it goes

A-Poured quickley down the center of a pint glass, had a thick white head that stuck around for a while. The beer was gold in color, transparent and lightly carbonated

S- Smelled like strawberry shortcake champagne. Fresh strawberry smell, nothing fake about it

T- Starts with a watery wheat with a litte grain. Small hint of citus in the hop profile. Finishes sweet strawberry, almost causes strawberry breath

M- Light in the mouth with light carbonation. Finishes sweet on the back of the tounge and dry on the palate

Overall this is a solid fruit beer! I am no a big fruit beer guy, but after drinking a 6 pack this will be my go to fruit beer. I actually called Pints o Plenty In forrest VA to see if they could get me a keg

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

I love this beer, strawberry flavor is more of an essence, delicious spring/summer beer, refreshing!

4.81/5  rDev +39.4%

The message, as I departed Boston in June 2007, seemed to be "Drink FRESH lagers!" Aye aye.

From the bottle: "Abita Strawberry Harvest is a lager brewed with pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. Real Louisiana strawberry juice is added after filtration, resulting in a crisp lager with a sweet strawberry flavor, aroma and haze."

The pour produced a good, thick, bone-white head with decent retention. The color was a slightly hazy deep-gold. The nose was somewhere between jam and the syrupy stuff that my Strawberry Shrimp at Auburn Ale House came in. Very strawberry. The mouthfeel was medium with a sweet strawberry taste on the tongue. The finish was like liquid strawberry preserves.

Okay, quick test - knowing that I am a self-avowed hophead, how is this going to fly with me? Check the drinkability rating! I have a thing for strawberries, dating back to when I was a wee lad and they made "Freckle-Faced Strawberry" Funny Faces Fruit Drink.

I used to feel like an outcast because of my red hair and freckles, but Freckle-Faced Strawberry empowered me and even led me to my first girlfriend at the age of four, a fellow redhead. Long live strawberries!

What the heck, I have another bottle, so I may as well revisit this to see if my mind has changed. Nope, not really. It is plenty sweet, though, so be aware of that part about it.

4.79/5  rDev +38.8%

This is my favorite beer by far. I drive 1400 miles to get it every year and fill my little car with all I can fit in and then I keep it cold in my second fridge. There's nothing about this beer that I don't like and my friends love it too! I wish they made it year round and got rid of the Pecan Ale which is not very good!

4.76/5  rDev +38%

A great seasonal beer, love it in the spring.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

many fruit strawberrys in beer, love hold and taste and drink! so Abita help beer with sweet also hopfruit, green label. ENJOY SO GOOD!!

4.73/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Call me a girly girl, but this is seriously one of my all-time favorite beers. I love the light airy quality of all of Abita's beers (as a Louisiana native, I can testify that it has a LOT to do with the amazing water quality in Abita Springs - where their other major industry is bottled water). The clean crisp refreshing flavor of an Abita Strawberry harvest is absolutely delightful. Not to mention the strawberries are fresh from one town over and leave a very strong strawberry aftertaste in one's mouth. I am thankful that this "seasonal beer" is usually lingering on the shelves for about half of the year.

4.66/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this on vacation in New Orleans, I found this brew uptown at in oyster bar. One of the best fruit flavored beers that I have ever tried. Very crisp and clean.

4.6/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious. Can never wait til it gets released each year.

4.59/5  rDev +33%

Awesome beer with a smooth finish

4.59/5  rDev +33%

A: Comes out a mild and slightly hazy amber with a very good amount of carbonation.

S: Smells of strawberry. Yes! I'm glad this actually smells of fruit. It has a very sweet and appealing scent to it. Has a familiar lager smell.

T: It's very mellow and wheaty. It tastes of strawberries but it's very light and airy.

M: It's very light and gentle.

O: Overall this is a really good beer. It tastes of fruit without being syrupy and is very clean. I would buy it again if I was looking for a strawberry beer.

4.58/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth taste. A nice mix of strawberries, but not over the top.

4.54/5  rDev +31.6%

I love this beer as a desert beer

4.53/5  rDev +31.3%

Really has a good taste from the aroma and hints of strawberry, actually seems to have a slight shortcake linger, definitely is a great beer. Draft seems to carry a better flavor profile than the shelf bought. My go to any time I find it on draft. It's not overpowering with fruit flavor a great balance!

4.52/5  rDev +31%

Finally, it's Abita Strawberry time again. I can't wait for this beer to come out every year.

When you open the bottle, you can instantly smell the fragrance of ripe strawberries. I love popping the top and savoring the smell before I start drinking the beer.

The taste is obviously strawberry, but not overpoweringly so. The fruit flavor is balanced just right with the hops and barley tastes.

The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, more so than most beers I have tried.

Drinkability is high - for those who like fruit-flavored beers, the taste is so good that the beer just goes down easy.

I always try to stock up on this one, but it never works out because I always drink these before anything else I have in the fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

Slight hints of strawberry flavor

4.49/5  rDev +30.1%

Pours a fairly clear pale yellow color with a fluffy white head that has decent retention and really nice lacing.

Nose is sniffalicious! Fresh strawberries are, of course, the main attraction with a few hints of light graininess and lagery sulfur. Clean and fresh smelling beer.

Wow, nectar of the gods? Strawberry flavor is subtle, yet omnipresent with a nice dose of light malt graininess. It would not surprise me if there was some wheat in here as well, as I get a bit of tartness near the end. This is one helluva refreshing beer. It's delicate, so drink it before any palate wreckers. Great job Abita!

4.47/5  rDev +29.6%

Being a fan of other Abita offerings, I thought I'd give this a shot. I'm glad I did. I find it to be very refreshing. I buy this everytime my local beer store carries it. It certainly isn't for everyone. If you don't like fruit beers, certainly avoid this one, because it is strong on the strawberry flavor. If you fancy fruit beers and would like to try something that would go down so smooth on a warm summer evening, then this is indeed your beer. I currently have some in the fridge, which I can't wait to get home to. I drank it last night and it was wonderful.

4.47/5  rDev +29.6%

First, I'm not much of a fruit beer person, not a real fan of the Abita purple haze but I really like this seasonal offering. My wife and I drove an hour and a half to Nashville to try the strawberry. Then we drove back to pick up 3 more cases.

Appearance: golden color no trace of red so it looks to be all natural, no dye

Smell: it is more bready and buttery with a hint of strawberry. That was a surprise

Taste: the initial taste is almost of shortbread and that aftertaste is the strawberry. Very nice progression.

Mouthfeel: consistent Abita carbonation. Very crisp.

Drinkability: my first bottle was paired with a spicy Cajun salmon. The Cajun spice pairs wonderfully, wonderfully with the strawberry lager. We bought the other 3 cases. We host a crawfish boil and can't wait to try the brew with the crustaceans. Looking forward to enjoying one on the lawmower tomorrow.

4.39/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a distinct strawberry aroma with some wheat
Appearance- Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a thick white head.
Taste- You can taste the strawberry, my first thought was that this would be a nice session beer on a hot day. Nice flavor.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Has a creamy texture.
Overall- A nice beer from Abita, I will drink this again.

4.39/5  rDev +27.2%

Wonderful bouquet that has a definite Abita feel and the fruit doesn't take away from the refreshing ale experience.

4.38/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very light straw colored with a perfectly wihte 2 finger head with very good retention

S - MMM...smells just like strawberries. Not much else there. Just sweet strawberries

T - I love the strawberry taste of this beer. Its not overdone at all and it tastes like actual strawberries not something artificial. Abita has found the perfect balance of sweetness, malts, and strawberries for this beer. Excellent job.

M - It is a very light beer. Great carbination as well. Feels smooth and silky.

O - I love this beer. I dont care what others think. I look foward to its release each year. Its an easy drinking beer. Its not overly sweet and the stawberries and done very well in it.

4.35/5  rDev +26.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a solid straw color with a finger of head comprised of big bubbles. This falls fairly fast to a film over top. Clarity is very good, and carbonation is not really active in the glass. Nose is definately all about the fresh strawberry. Its sweet strawberry, but not fake, with a light creamy aspect to it. I think it smells nice. Flavor is not as dominated with the strawberry. The lager base comes through as what I would call a pilsner without the hopping, but is very clean and unobtrusive. This fades into a slightly sweet and very fruity strawberry. I was not expecting to enjoy this one, but I'd rather be suprised this direction than the other. I think the strawberry and the mildly grainey, almost a touch of chalkyness of the base beer compliment each other very well and accentuate the fruit character without it being overbearing. Abita has my attention on this one. Mouthfeel is moderate with a lively moderate carbonation. I think the carbonation level is ideal for the brew. Its not too little, but its not anything that is providing a bite that would interfere with the flavor. Drinkability is great. This one just works for me. Flavors are well balanced and proportioned just right. Excellent.

4.34/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Recommend highly when available on tap. Bottle version does not provide same flavor.

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.