Strawberry Harvest Lager - Abita Brewing Co.

Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

(Beer added by: Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005)

4.97/5  rDev +44.5%

This is my first review, so here it goes

A-Poured quickley down the center of a pint glass, had a thick white head that stuck around for a while. The beer was gold in color, transparent and lightly carbonated

S- Smelled like strawberry shortcake champagne. Fresh strawberry smell, nothing fake about it

T- Starts with a watery wheat with a litte grain. Small hint of citus in the hop profile. Finishes sweet strawberry, almost causes strawberry breath

M- Light in the mouth with light carbonation. Finishes sweet on the back of the tounge and dry on the palate

Overall this is a solid fruit beer! I am no a big fruit beer guy, but after drinking a 6 pack this will be my go to fruit beer. I actually called Pints o Plenty In forrest VA to see if they could get me a keg

4.83/5  rDev +40.4%

The message, as I departed Boston in June 2007, seemed to be "Drink FRESH lagers!" Aye aye.

From the bottle: "Abita Strawberry Harvest is a lager brewed with pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. Real Louisiana strawberry juice is added after filtration, resulting in a crisp lager with a sweet strawberry flavor, aroma and haze."

The pour produced a good, thick, bone-white head with decent retention. The color was a slightly hazy deep-gold. The nose was somewhere between jam and the syrupy stuff that my Strawberry Shrimp at Auburn Ale House came in. Very strawberry. The mouthfeel was medium with a sweet strawberry taste on the tongue. The finish was like liquid strawberry preserves.

Okay, quick test - knowing that I am a self-avowed hophead, how is this going to fly with me? Check the drinkability rating! I have a thing for strawberries, dating back to when I was a wee lad and they made "Freckle-Faced Strawberry" Funny Faces Fruit Drink.

I used to feel like an outcast because of my red hair and freckles, but Freckle-Faced Strawberry empowered me and even led me to my first girlfriend at the age of four, a fellow redhead. Long live strawberries!

What the heck, I have another bottle, so I may as well revisit this to see if my mind has changed. Nope, not really. It is plenty sweet, though, so be aware of that part about it.

4.8/5  rDev +39.5%

This is my favorite beer by far. I drive 1400 miles to get it every year and fill my little car with all I can fit in and then I keep it cold in my second fridge. There's nothing about this beer that I don't like and my friends love it too! I wish they made it year round and got rid of the Pecan Ale which is not very good!

4.76/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Call me a girly girl, but this is seriously one of my all-time favorite beers. I love the light airy quality of all of Abita's beers (as a Louisiana native, I can testify that it has a LOT to do with the amazing water quality in Abita Springs - where their other major industry is bottled water). The clean crisp refreshing flavor of an Abita Strawberry harvest is absolutely delightful. Not to mention the strawberries are fresh from one town over and leave a very strong strawberry aftertaste in one's mouth. I am thankful that this "seasonal beer" is usually lingering on the shelves for about half of the year.

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.