Strawberry Harvest Lager | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
3.5

Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

Added by Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005

Reviews: 396 | Ratings: 1,268
3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Nice Beer! ... This one surprised me quite a bit!... very fresh real strawberry flavour and smell, the smell is delicous!....sweet and refreshing, with a light mellowness... if you enjoy fruit beers, this one is very drinkable! ..."about as funny as Sinbad..not the actor but the sailor"

3.32/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Light semi-murky gold that pours a light white head that disipates quickly leaving a medium lace.
S - Light and all strawberries with some sweet malts.
T - Sweet strawberry and a heavier yeast accent than I thought would be there. Nice and light with less fruity sweet then I the smell gave off.
M - Light carbonation with a slight milky accent with a fruity sweet.
D - Definately drinks smooth and chrisp. Would enjoy this as an alternative to sweeter lambics.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a bottle into an american pint glass.

The beer poured thin with a hazy golden blond with a1/4 inch white head that dissipated before I even set the glass down. No lacing to speak of.

The smell is not good. Reminds me of a Bartles and James wine cooler circa 1984. There is some kind of smell there but it's not strawberries. Like fruit left in the fridge too long.

The taste actually surprised me. After the smell I thought it was going to taste terrible. It did not taste great by any means but it was not horrible. Initially the wine cooler taste came through but when that subsided I picked up strong sweetness almost syrupy taste. I did not taste strawberry at all.

The mouthfeel was light and highly carbonated with a crisp finish. The aftertaste left my mouth sticky like there was an over abundance of saliva.

Overall unimpressed. I tried this beer because I liked the Abita Purple Haze but was completely let down. The smell was unpleasant and hard to place and the taste was decent at best. If you see this one out there keep on walking.

4.81/5  rDev +37.4%

I really miss the early days of The CANQuest (tm) on this site, when I was CANstantly being challenged as how/when/where I found a particular beer in a CAN. Now, every beer seems to come in a CAN, but serving style is no longer a CANcern. Sheesh.

The CAN is absolutely gorgeous! Purple, gold, green with red strawberries plus fleurs-de-lis abound! A picture of the CAN should replace the bland bottle.

I Crack!ed that bad boy open, revealing a brimful craft CAN. I could not bring myself to CANduct anything more than a gentle Glug, but once I got it into the glass, a vigorous swirl raised a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that did not seem to want to hang around. At this juncture, I would segue into color & clarity, but the swirl had released its esters to the point that the kitchen smelled like I was in a strawberry patch! Full disclosure: It is really no secret that I have a fetish for fellow redheads/gingers. When I was really young, my favorite fruit was blueberries, but at some point, I began to associate strawberries with strawberry-blondes & they have been my favorite since. This scent was about as much as I could stand! Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity and when the Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon showed up, I threw a selfish temper tantrum and kept it all for myself! Mouthfeel was medium, about the high end for a lager. The taste was like liquid strawberry preserves! It was a tad sweet, but man, it was nuthin' but strawberry. Finish was semi-sweet with the lagering having given the yeast a chance to take some of the cloying sweetness off of it. I'd love this in the cooler over the summer.

My original bottle review, dtd 28 Jan 2008, follows:

The message, as I departed Boston in June 2007, seemed to be "Drink FRESH lagers!" Aye aye.

From the bottle: "Abita Strawberry Harvest is a lager brewed with pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. Real Louisiana strawberry juice is added after filtration, resulting in a crisp lager with a sweet strawberry flavor, aroma and haze."

The pour produced a good, thick, bone-white head with decent retention. The color was a slightly hazy deep-gold. The nose was somewhere between jam and the syrupy stuff that my Strawberry Shrimp at Auburn Ale House came in. Very strawberry. The mouthfeel was medium with a sweet strawberry taste on the tongue. The finish was like liquid strawberry preserves.

Okay, quick test - knowing that I am a self-avowed hophead, how is this going to fly with me? Check the drinkability rating! I have a thing for strawberries, dating back to when I was a wee lad and they made "Freckle-Faced Strawberry" Funny Faces Fruit Drink.

I used to feel like an outcast because of my red hair and freckles, but Freckle-Faced Strawberry empowered me and even led me to my first girlfriend at the age of four, a fellow redhead. Long live strawberries!

What the heck, I have another bottle, so I may as well revisit this to see if my mind has changed. Nope, not really. It is plenty sweet, though, so be aware of that part about it.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a slightly clouded gold. Nose is a touch of strawberries over a firm metallic character. Flavor is kind of like a smooth lager with a creamy strawberry presence that is just slight. What ruins it for me is the somewhat harsh aftertaste of metal. Just too much metallic for my liking. Feel is thick with carbonation and fairly standard on the liquid. Overall it is drinkable, yes. Just not so much since there is a lack of firm strawberry and also with the presence of so much metallic.

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: clear yellow in color with a 1" head that falls apart immediately. No significant lacing develops.

Smell: nice aroma of strawberries comes out of the glass.

Taste: strawberries are up front with some green grape sweetness. Mild malt profile with barely any bitterness. Definitely one dimensional beer.

Mouthfeel: very crisp throughout. Strawberry filled aftertaste sticks to the tongue. Lighter side of medium bodied.

Drinkability: nicely refreshing and mildly pleasant. The strawberries are not fake tasting which is a big plus here. Not a bad beer, but not one you would drink all day.

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%

Twist-off bottle:

Pours straw yellow with thin white head that eventually (rather quickly) disappears.

The smell is of sweet grain and a touch of grass. Light strawberry comes through. Glad to smell a fruit beer that has "beer" aroma.

The taste is of sweet grain and light grass. Sweet strawberries are mixed in. At least it's not as artificial tasting as many other fruit beers, but...overall, the taste is mild and rather lacking. A vague hop bitterness balances out the sweetness and tartness.

Typical of the brewery this one is light-bodied. I don't fault it for that, as that is what they make. However, this one almost pushes it too much. There is a pleasant aftertaste and it is smooth.

This is a decent fruit beer. The strawberry is not quite as artificial as is found in so many of this style. It's rather weak, but maintains a "beer" quality, albeit light. Rated per style. Better than other fruit beers, but doesn't quite do it for me other than being rather refreshing on a hot day.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bottle (best by 9/11/07) into a frosted pub glass.

Appearance- light hazy golden color that poured with a very light white head that quickly dissipates to just a trace of lacing

Smell- Natural Louisiana strawberries hit the nose as well as faint grain aroma, very faint malt presence.

Taste- The front has a faint malt presence transitioning quickly to the natural strawberry in the middle and lingers pleasantly.

Mouthfeel- Watery. A very light brew.

Drinkability- It is very easy to knock off several of these on a hot summer night. The novelty of the Strawberry flavor fades off and one begins to crave other more traditional styles. Which is perfect as it is a seasonal offering, although production doubled this year over last, and I am still able to find this Spring seasonal on the shelves in mid-September). As a fruit beer, it is an excellent representative of the style. I favor it over Pete's Strawberry Blonde.

3.87/5  rDev +10.6%

I had just walked from the Audobon Zoo to a place in the French Quater on a 94 degree 90 percent humidity August day in New Orleans. (thats about six and a half miles) Needless to say, I was thirsty. I like to drink loca,l so when I'm in New Orleans I drink a lot of Abita and Dixie (although I think that Dixie is being contract brewed since Katrina). Anyway, the bartender told me to give this one a try and it was just right. The appearence of the beer was nothing terribly special, just a nice golden color with only a little head. Aroma is real nice, a very pleasant but not overpowering aroma of fresh strawberries. The taste wasn't awe inspiring, but it sure did hit the spot. Basically, I would say that its a very clean, crisp, drinkable beer and the strawberries come through perfectly in the finish. For a fruit beer, this beer isn't fruity, it is very nicely balanced and very refreshing. In terms of drinkablilty, this one gets high marks from me, I had four of them without even thinking about it. This is truly an excellent beer to drink ice cold on a steamy day.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- nice golden color with little head.

Smell- Strawberries!!! With a nice balance of malts and hops.

Taste- Again strawberries with a hint of hops and malts.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp with mild carbonation.

Drinkability- OK I found this beer to be actually good. I think this beer would be great on a nice hot, humid Louisiana day. Right after maybe doing yardwork or something. All I know is this beer rolls at work when we get it in. We sell it by the case and we sell everything priced by the bottle! People love this beer and I have to agree with them!!

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Mildly hazy straw color. Small head. Mild retention and lacing.

Smell: Strawberries, some mild malts and yeast.

Taste: Same as the nose. Strawberries mixed with a light ale. Thats the gist of it.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but will I have more?

3.72/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a nonic at fridge temperature. Best by 9/11, this label was affixed upside down on the bottle.

Appearance- Pours a luminescent gold with the slightest haze... a supple, two finger snow white head suds backwards of the course of this tasting. Minimal lacing and relatively quiet in the glass.

Smell- Exciting, intense aroma of fresh strawberries... as the beer opens up, elements of sugar and candy become evident. Strawberry creamsicles come to mind after a little while.

Taste- Bready, smooth malts back up the palate of strawberries and cream... there is a soda-like flavor that comes across too that takes something away from its pureness. Nice, dry finish showcasing just a smattering of hop presence.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- With a smooth yet prickly entry, this beer softly foams and goes down extremely well. For the style, this ranks near the top of my list for fruit beers. It's light, easy in the mouth, and has a more subdued flavor than Magic Hat #9, for example. I finished this beer with gratitude to have tried it.

3.97/5  rDev +13.4%

Well in my neverending search for new and intresting beers I come to this. The Abita Strawberry harvest lager. Now I am not usually ever a fan of fruit beers, they just always come off wrong to me, so I was a bit hesitant, but nevertheless, it deserved its fair try, so that it will get....

A - Poured a dull, hazy light golden amber, almost a yellow, with a big fizzy white head on top. Faded quickly and only left behind a thin film of lace on the top. Some visible carbonation was evident, very very cloudy looking.

S - So super strong strawberrry it was retarded. Smelled like a strawberry cake, soo sweet and fresh. Actually very very pleasant. A light citrus hoppiness could also be found, but just sickingly strong strawberry in a good way.

T - Actually very nice, not overwhelming like i thought. Definate grainey back to it, was clearly evident. But lots and lots of strawberry, and almost a sweet whip cream like flavor with it, strawberry shortcake beer, totally.

M - Crisp and smooth, very lingering aftertaste. Nice carbonation and good light feel to it.

D - Actually very good. I could drink this alot. Very light and not too sweet, just about right. Not overdone, which it could have been easily. Just a nice well rounded brew.

Overall I was very suprised. I really did enjoy this. It was very unique and not overpowering like it could have been. Overall just a really great summer brew. I will definatly purchase again.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Aroma of strawberries is evident as soon as you pop the top. Not too much head and it dissipates pretty quickly. Crisp and light with thin mouthfeel. Tastes a bit like strawberry soda. Pretty refreshing and easy to drink, but I prefer Abita Purple Haze for fruit beers.

3.62/5  rDev +3.4%

I was pleased with pretty much everything in this beer, except the mouthfeel. It was a bit too thin and wimpy for me. I'd like something a little more "coating" and lasting on the tongue. The smell was very nice, something like those little strawberry candies that your granny had in a bowl. The taste was similar, but also creamy, which made it unique. All in all a great beer to enjoy, especially on a hot day.

3.29/5  rDev -6%

Appearance - pale, hazy straw color on the pour. A finger+ of creamy white cover loooks nice and smooth, but melts down like snow in June. Throws a little lace around, just a little.

Aroma - has an initial grain sniff and an odd bit of yeasty sourness. The strawberry makes it through after a few seconds as well as some diacetyl. Hmm, butterscotch and strawberry, I don't know...

Taste - light, watery strawberry up front. Sweetness of the fruit is kept in check in fine fashion and thankfully the diacetyl isn't showing up. A trace of hops on the swallow to provide some semblance of a beer profile. It's less alco-poppish than many. Finishes with a touch of lemon. With this kind of beer, there are many places for it to go wrong, and lots of places for potential criticism. Abita has avoided the trouble spots quite well; kudos for what the beer is and for what it didn't become. It's unusual but I like it.

Mouthfeel - thin, crisp, a pretty light body.

Drinkability -if you're into strawberries, this is as sessionable a fruit beer as you'll find. It has a light body and toned down fruit influence, making easy to enjoy several.

3.57/5  rDev +2%

Not a bad beer. A refreshing treat for a hot afternoon. (95+ here today). The beer is a very light orange with little head. The strawberries are strong in the smell as well as taste. The beer does not have any strong harsh tastes that detract. Smooth all around. Easy drinking and at less than $7 a sixer I will likely buy a couple more for the hot weather predicted here.

3.47/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent along with a sweet strawberry aroma. The taste is decent also. It has a light malt flavor that is overwhelmed by a sweet strawberry taste. It goes down easy and finishes dry with some residual sweetness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied brew with adequate carbaonation. This is a good drinking beer. It's not that complex or even well brewed (cheap strawberry essence), but it hits the spot.

2.86/5  rDev -18.3%

My review score is from a bottle I purchased recently, however my review is from notes I took on last years batch. As I have said in other reviews of Abita beers, consistency in holiday beers (and this is a holiday beer, if you have ever been to the strawberry festival in Ponchatoula) is off from last year.

In 2006 I found a wonderful strawberry aroma matched with malt. It smelled like strawberry Special K. I call it breakfast beer. No warmth but there was a combination of crispness, creaminess, and strawberry sweetness that blew me away. Other than a Belgian wit, there was nothing I wanted to drink more every day when I got home. There was a slight pectin haze, hopefully from the use of real Louisiana strawberries in the ferment. It was tarter in the middle and finished sweet. I had this with plain cheesecake and nearly fell from the table.

This year’s rendition of Strawberry harvest was not so hot. It was more watery and less malty. It was much weaker in every aspect when compared with the 2006 batch.

Unless things change, go with Pete's Strawberry Blonde. It is not as good as last years Strawberry Harvest, but it is way better than this years.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Poured a slightly hazy lemonade-like light yellow color with a thin white head that faded quickly, but visible effervescence keeping the rim alive.

Smells as sweet as a strawberry cream soda. Light bodied, the mouth feel is well carbonated and slightly sour (without making you pucker).

The flavor is a sweet and subtle strawberry. Drinkability is good. A nice refreshing drinker on a hot day. I'm willing to bet that the ABV is low enough to pass as a session beer also.

4.32/5  rDev +23.4%

I'm generally not a fan of fruit-infused beers, but Abita is my favorite brewhouse, so I decided to give this one a try. My selection was poured from the standard 12 oz. bottle.

It made a respectable pour with a color that was a good bit lighter than Abita's flagship Amber offering. My hopes for this beer immediately rose when I noticed the smell to have a presence of, but not overpowering by, strawberries. This trend continued to the taste.

This beer is crisp and refreshing, with no bitterness to speak of (which could be good or bad, depending on your tastes). The strawberry flavor is ever-present, but don't assume that it's going to make you forget you're drinking beer. This is a fine fruit beer to try on a hot summer day even if you're not usually a fan of such selections.

3.08/5  rDev -12%

Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a mug
Recent brewing, picked 05/07

Poured a straw yellow (ironic!) with a moderate fizzy mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of moderate sweet strawberries and light grain.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet strawberry candy (like the strawberry candy with the gooey center and in the strawberry printed shiny wrapper) with some light sour fresh strawberry and faint bitter hops followed by a faint to light bread and strawberry dessert feel, and an awkard grain bitterness on a short finish.

Palate was light bodied, watery, fizzy and slightly astringent.

Overall, it's a nice strawberry flavor on an average to disappointing beer canvas. It's very pleasant to me as a strawberry lover, but not the best strawberry beer by far.

4.47/5  rDev +27.7%

Being a fan of other Abita offerings, I thought I'd give this a shot. I'm glad I did. I find it to be very refreshing. I buy this everytime my local beer store carries it. It certainly isn't for everyone. If you don't like fruit beers, certainly avoid this one, because it is strong on the strawberry flavor. If you fancy fruit beers and would like to try something that would go down so smooth on a warm summer evening, then this is indeed your beer. I currently have some in the fridge, which I can't wait to get home to. I drank it last night and it was wonderful.

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a mildly hazed pale brass with many bubbles present, and a frothy white head that holds up well and leaves streaks of lace after each sip. Has a very sweet nose of strawberry and cotton candy with lots of graininess and some odd white wine aromas as well. Flavor is a medley of pale malts, toasted malts, subtle strawberries, cotton candy, and some pleasant supporting grain. Mouthfeel is bubbly, but doesn't stick the tongue too hard. Body is light. This is one refreshing and tasty fruit beer and a great one from Abita.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer has a rather unappealing old lemon-flesh color with a thick,white head that reduces to one finger and leaves a stringy lace. It has a sour, musty aroma with strawberies and cracked grain pushing up.

Light citrus flavors cover a mellow strawberry flavor that lingers far below the surface. It adds an unexpected tang and is pushed up by herbal hops. The grain contribution is very soft and round, making this beer rather pilsner-like in that respect. Berry spritzes back up in the finish.

Mouthfeel is stingy with extremely fine pins and needles carbonation. Its slick and ligfht-bodied.

I really think this might be Abita's best offering and one of the best fruit beers I've ever had. The base style is a great pick for the fruit, and it scores big points with me for not being wheat.

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.