Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Strawberry Harvest Lager - Abita Brewing Co.

Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

Reviews: 386 | Hads: 1,228
3.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Mildly hazy straw color. Small head. Mild retention and lacing.

Smell: Strawberries, some mild malts and yeast.

Taste: Same as the nose. Strawberries mixed with a light ale. Thats the gist of it.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but will I have more?

3.72/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a nonic at fridge temperature. Best by 9/11, this label was affixed upside down on the bottle.

Appearance- Pours a luminescent gold with the slightest haze... a supple, two finger snow white head suds backwards of the course of this tasting. Minimal lacing and relatively quiet in the glass.

Smell- Exciting, intense aroma of fresh strawberries... as the beer opens up, elements of sugar and candy become evident. Strawberry creamsicles come to mind after a little while.

Taste- Bready, smooth malts back up the palate of strawberries and cream... there is a soda-like flavor that comes across too that takes something away from its pureness. Nice, dry finish showcasing just a smattering of hop presence.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- With a smooth yet prickly entry, this beer softly foams and goes down extremely well. For the style, this ranks near the top of my list for fruit beers. It's light, easy in the mouth, and has a more subdued flavor than Magic Hat #9, for example. I finished this beer with gratitude to have tried it.

3.97/5  rDev +13.1%

Well in my neverending search for new and intresting beers I come to this. The Abita Strawberry harvest lager. Now I am not usually ever a fan of fruit beers, they just always come off wrong to me, so I was a bit hesitant, but nevertheless, it deserved its fair try, so that it will get....

A - Poured a dull, hazy light golden amber, almost a yellow, with a big fizzy white head on top. Faded quickly and only left behind a thin film of lace on the top. Some visible carbonation was evident, very very cloudy looking.

S - So super strong strawberrry it was retarded. Smelled like a strawberry cake, soo sweet and fresh. Actually very very pleasant. A light citrus hoppiness could also be found, but just sickingly strong strawberry in a good way.

T - Actually very nice, not overwhelming like i thought. Definate grainey back to it, was clearly evident. But lots and lots of strawberry, and almost a sweet whip cream like flavor with it, strawberry shortcake beer, totally.

M - Crisp and smooth, very lingering aftertaste. Nice carbonation and good light feel to it.

D - Actually very good. I could drink this alot. Very light and not too sweet, just about right. Not overdone, which it could have been easily. Just a nice well rounded brew.

Overall I was very suprised. I really did enjoy this. It was very unique and not overpowering like it could have been. Overall just a really great summer brew. I will definatly purchase again.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Aroma of strawberries is evident as soon as you pop the top. Not too much head and it dissipates pretty quickly. Crisp and light with thin mouthfeel. Tastes a bit like strawberry soda. Pretty refreshing and easy to drink, but I prefer Abita Purple Haze for fruit beers.

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%

I was pleased with pretty much everything in this beer, except the mouthfeel. It was a bit too thin and wimpy for me. I'd like something a little more "coating" and lasting on the tongue. The smell was very nice, something like those little strawberry candies that your granny had in a bowl. The taste was similar, but also creamy, which made it unique. All in all a great beer to enjoy, especially on a hot day.

3.29/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance - pale, hazy straw color on the pour. A finger+ of creamy white cover loooks nice and smooth, but melts down like snow in June. Throws a little lace around, just a little.

Aroma - has an initial grain sniff and an odd bit of yeasty sourness. The strawberry makes it through after a few seconds as well as some diacetyl. Hmm, butterscotch and strawberry, I don't know...

Taste - light, watery strawberry up front. Sweetness of the fruit is kept in check in fine fashion and thankfully the diacetyl isn't showing up. A trace of hops on the swallow to provide some semblance of a beer profile. It's less alco-poppish than many. Finishes with a touch of lemon. With this kind of beer, there are many places for it to go wrong, and lots of places for potential criticism. Abita has avoided the trouble spots quite well; kudos for what the beer is and for what it didn't become. It's unusual but I like it.

Mouthfeel - thin, crisp, a pretty light body.

Drinkability -if you're into strawberries, this is as sessionable a fruit beer as you'll find. It has a light body and toned down fruit influence, making easy to enjoy several.

3.57/5  rDev +1.7%

Not a bad beer. A refreshing treat for a hot afternoon. (95+ here today). The beer is a very light orange with little head. The strawberries are strong in the smell as well as taste. The beer does not have any strong harsh tastes that detract. Smooth all around. Easy drinking and at less than $7 a sixer I will likely buy a couple more for the hot weather predicted here.

3.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent along with a sweet strawberry aroma. The taste is decent also. It has a light malt flavor that is overwhelmed by a sweet strawberry taste. It goes down easy and finishes dry with some residual sweetness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied brew with adequate carbaonation. This is a good drinking beer. It's not that complex or even well brewed (cheap strawberry essence), but it hits the spot.

2.86/5  rDev -18.5%

My review score is from a bottle I purchased recently, however my review is from notes I took on last years batch. As I have said in other reviews of Abita beers, consistency in holiday beers (and this is a holiday beer, if you have ever been to the strawberry festival in Ponchatoula) is off from last year.

In 2006 I found a wonderful strawberry aroma matched with malt. It smelled like strawberry Special K. I call it breakfast beer. No warmth but there was a combination of crispness, creaminess, and strawberry sweetness that blew me away. Other than a Belgian wit, there was nothing I wanted to drink more every day when I got home. There was a slight pectin haze, hopefully from the use of real Louisiana strawberries in the ferment. It was tarter in the middle and finished sweet. I had this with plain cheesecake and nearly fell from the table.

This year’s rendition of Strawberry harvest was not so hot. It was more watery and less malty. It was much weaker in every aspect when compared with the 2006 batch.

Unless things change, go with Pete's Strawberry Blonde. It is not as good as last years Strawberry Harvest, but it is way better than this years.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured a slightly hazy lemonade-like light yellow color with a thin white head that faded quickly, but visible effervescence keeping the rim alive.

Smells as sweet as a strawberry cream soda. Light bodied, the mouth feel is well carbonated and slightly sour (without making you pucker).

The flavor is a sweet and subtle strawberry. Drinkability is good. A nice refreshing drinker on a hot day. I'm willing to bet that the ABV is low enough to pass as a session beer also.

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

I'm generally not a fan of fruit-infused beers, but Abita is my favorite brewhouse, so I decided to give this one a try. My selection was poured from the standard 12 oz. bottle.

It made a respectable pour with a color that was a good bit lighter than Abita's flagship Amber offering. My hopes for this beer immediately rose when I noticed the smell to have a presence of, but not overpowering by, strawberries. This trend continued to the taste.

This beer is crisp and refreshing, with no bitterness to speak of (which could be good or bad, depending on your tastes). The strawberry flavor is ever-present, but don't assume that it's going to make you forget you're drinking beer. This is a fine fruit beer to try on a hot summer day even if you're not usually a fan of such selections.

3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a mug
Recent brewing, picked 05/07

Poured a straw yellow (ironic!) with a moderate fizzy mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of moderate sweet strawberries and light grain.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet strawberry candy (like the strawberry candy with the gooey center and in the strawberry printed shiny wrapper) with some light sour fresh strawberry and faint bitter hops followed by a faint to light bread and strawberry dessert feel, and an awkard grain bitterness on a short finish.

Palate was light bodied, watery, fizzy and slightly astringent.

Overall, it's a nice strawberry flavor on an average to disappointing beer canvas. It's very pleasant to me as a strawberry lover, but not the best strawberry beer by far.

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%

Being a fan of other Abita offerings, I thought I'd give this a shot. I'm glad I did. I find it to be very refreshing. I buy this everytime my local beer store carries it. It certainly isn't for everyone. If you don't like fruit beers, certainly avoid this one, because it is strong on the strawberry flavor. If you fancy fruit beers and would like to try something that would go down so smooth on a warm summer evening, then this is indeed your beer. I currently have some in the fridge, which I can't wait to get home to. I drank it last night and it was wonderful.

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a mildly hazed pale brass with many bubbles present, and a frothy white head that holds up well and leaves streaks of lace after each sip. Has a very sweet nose of strawberry and cotton candy with lots of graininess and some odd white wine aromas as well. Flavor is a medley of pale malts, toasted malts, subtle strawberries, cotton candy, and some pleasant supporting grain. Mouthfeel is bubbly, but doesn't stick the tongue too hard. Body is light. This is one refreshing and tasty fruit beer and a great one from Abita.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer has a rather unappealing old lemon-flesh color with a thick,white head that reduces to one finger and leaves a stringy lace. It has a sour, musty aroma with strawberies and cracked grain pushing up.

Light citrus flavors cover a mellow strawberry flavor that lingers far below the surface. It adds an unexpected tang and is pushed up by herbal hops. The grain contribution is very soft and round, making this beer rather pilsner-like in that respect. Berry spritzes back up in the finish.

Mouthfeel is stingy with extremely fine pins and needles carbonation. Its slick and ligfht-bodied.

I really think this might be Abita's best offering and one of the best fruit beers I've ever had. The base style is a great pick for the fruit, and it scores big points with me for not being wheat.

3.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a clear yellow with a thick head. The aroma is malty with fruit apparent. The taste is malty and sweet with a healthy strawberry undertone. The mouthfeel is full. This is a surprisingly drinkable beer that I would recommend to those who enjoy fruit flavored brews.

3.52/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a light golden colour with a mid-range sized head that leaves a bit of itself on the glass after each sip. Head retention and stickiness is decent considering the style.

The aroma is sweet of course from the strawberries, but it also has a bit of a grassiness to it, with hints of caramel. Strong, and at times pushing into strawberry flavoured bubble gum territory, but pleasant and not overpowering at the same time.

The flavour is much like the aroma, but wit ha bit more sweetness and juiciness to it. Whilst still good, it does become just a touch overbearing at times, but not so much that any sip is ruined. Hop notes bring a pretty good balance for the most part except where just noted. Mouthfeel is light bodied, well carbonated and crisp and refreshing.

Overall, this one's yet another fruit beer that I am surprised that I enjoyed. It would be too sweet to have more than one of in a sitting, but it's refreshing enough that it's worth revisiting for a pint every so often.

Pale amber with a thin and quick-lived off white head.

Aroma is light caramel and earthy, grassy hops with strawberry sweetness.

Flavor is same, light malt and hop flavors with a gentle push of strawberry that is probably artificial.

Body is above light with a crisp mouthfeel and average drinkability. Decent and drinkable, but modest and underwhelming.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a pale golden-yellow, almost like that Maize colored crayon nobody ever used. Nice white head that sticks around and a few streams of carbonation. Smell is like artificially sweetened strawberries and some cereal grains. This is like a beer version of Strawberry Cream MD20/20 (rating up the smell with no shame for nostalgia).

The opening focuses on the base beer, with cereal grains being the base. A little watered down strawberry juice creeps up before leaving a lingering strawberry cream finish on the back of the palette. I want to note that as it warms the strawberry flavor gets fresher, and not so saccharine sweet.

Mouthfeel is what you'd expect from any decent lager. Light body with a crisp carbonated finish. There is a lingering artificial sweetness in the stomach (aspartame/splenda) which kind of hurts the drinkability, but this one is easy to go.

I'll probably get another 6 just to keep it around seeing as this is a seasonal. No regrets.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Nicely notched on the back with both the month and the day best by.

Appearance: Hazy and straw yellow with lots of bubbles, which end up staying around toward the last sips. A fairly frothy head that stays that way for a while, leaving some sheets of lacing toward the top of the body of the brew.

Smell: I'm glad the strawberry flavor (or does of actual strawberries per the nice description on the back of the label) isn't overpowering or overtly fake and / or syrupy. But unfortunately, I feel that as a regular lager I wouldn't be such a fan of this, and I hope the strawberry isn't there just as a mask. That said, it's nice because it does smell real to me, as in juice instead of syrup, and there is a touch as noted on the label. Though the strawberry and grain is about all that I get, it gets better as it warms and I don't mind taking a whiff every time I take a drink.

Taste: Sweet malt and some graininess without a lot of complexity, though the strawberry is welcoming. As I said before with the aroma, I'm not sure how much masking the strawberry's doing, but I have a feeling it's quite a bit, as it's strongly present without being too sweet, too cloying, or just unpleasant, and I'm tending to enjoy it as it warms with each sip.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with carbonation levels that take it beyond the notion of a spritzer, which I was initially worried about; the carbonation does more than that and actually adds a bit of depth to the body.

Drinkability: This is one of my least favorite styles, so I was pretty impressed with this one. I probably wouldn't want more than one and surely wouldn't make it a session, but I could see some people being fans of this, especially for a light summer brew, which it's certainly come around for (despite all the current rain we're having in Richmond).

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale gold with a faint fogginess that dissipates with backlighting. The three finger cap has an appealing color (alabaster) and an appealing texture (both frothy and creamy). Thick bridges of foam connect head and glass, depositing shredded sheets of lace when they eventually break. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved that there's no hint of red or pink.

The nose is pretty much as advertised. That is, there's a mild-moderate strawberry fruitiness that comes nowhere close to covering up the essence of the base beer. Although the aroma is pleasant, I'm not doing cartwheels every time I put my nose over the glass. On the other hand, if the beer tastes like it smells, I'll be pleased.

Strawberry Harvest Lager is decent beer that doesn't quite come together in a harmonious manner, at least according to my fruit beer preferences. First of all, the amber lager itself is average. It's a little grainy and is on the undermalted side. Second of all, I'd like to see a little more strawberriness. It's an agreeable flavor, there just isn't enough of it. More fruitiness would help to cover up the base beer's faults.

The beer is both too sweet and too bitter. Bigger styles, for the most part, are better able to pull that combination off. An offering that is one or the other would fit this effort much better. Warming reveals no hidden charms. In fact, it causes the fine cracks in the flavor profile to becomes larger crevices. My suggestion is to drink ASHL fairly cool.

The mouthfeel is appropriate for a fruit beer that's also a lager. It's light without being watery and has a minor finishing slickness that must be due to fructose from the berries. I wouldn't change a thing about the middle-of-the-road amount of carbonation.

Despite its shortcomings, Strawberry Harvest Lager is an okay little fruit beer... as long as one's expectations aren't sky-high. More bursting berry goodness would probably make it one of Abita's best.

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Twelve oz. bottle into a mug.

Presents a bubbly, transparent, blonde body with a thick off-white head on top. No lacing in sight. Aroma dominated by wheat and fruit (grapes, berries), with a club soda-like fizziness to it all. Not bad.

Taste is pleasant, with a distinct strawberry note tucked away behind the watery wheat body. Some banana, vanilla, and raspberry as well. Very nicely done, especially when combined with the mouthfeel. It's crisp and light on the tongue, while a great carbonation level gives it a clean finish. Overall, it's fairly tasty, perhaps rivaling Abita's Purple Haze in flavor and drinkability.

2.52/5  rDev -28.2%

Shared with a friend (thanks, Tyler) at RFD Washington. This is a bit hazy, and relatively flat. Unfortunately the overall impression of this brew by everyone involved was best encapsulated by Tyler (who is a big Purple Haze fan), who described it as "kid’s toothpaste in a glass." Only for the fruit lovers. (#2773, 4/5/2007)

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, twist off. Best by month and day notched on the label. No ABV marked.

Appearance: Yellow with just a hint of haze and some reddish notes. Thin head, but decent lacing and retention.

Smell: Creamy, maybe some diacytle, and strawberry.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma, creamy strawberry flavors, and a bit of bready and diacytle.

Overall impression: Not bad - certainly better than some fruit beers I have tried. It has been a while, but this reminds me quite a bit of Pete's strawberry blonde.

2.38/5  rDev -32.2%

Sampled 21 March 2007, purchased in Abita Springs, LA for me by a friend
12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Color & Head: Very clear and straw colored. Fizzy. Not a lot of head.

Aroma: A touch of strawberry in it, but not a lot. Kind of sour, really. Not much hops.

Taste: Not a lot of flavor here. I was expecting some serious strawberry flavor from what I’ve heard and read. I can barely taste any and The Wife says she can’t taste any at all. Still very sour. Too sour.

Notes: I’m not very impressed. I don’t usually go for fruit beers, but the fruit isn’t he problem with this one. Some guys at the Keg & Barrel were saying it was terrific last year, and they normally don’t care for fruit beers either so I was enthusiastic about getting some of this. I had a friend bring me back some form LA last weekend. I got a sixer, but I think I’ll save the other five for guests hat want to try it.

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.