Strawberry Harvest Lager - Abita Brewing Co.

Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

(Beer added by: Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005)
brewemstrong

Tennessee

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Very light, limited cloudiness. 1/2-1 finger head.
S: Gives off a strong scent of strawberries, which dominates any malty notes. My first strawberry lager but it seems too overpowering.
T: Strawberry flavor is plentiful, yet tart. More maltiness in a sip than smell, but an absence of seemingly necessary hops.
M: Smooth enough so that the tartness does not linger on the tongue; light.
D: Not a "go-to" beer, but will finish 6-pack.

03-12-2011 03:04:02 | More by brewemstrong
luxbwin

North Dakota

Poured from a 12 oz Abita bottle into a Saint Arnold pint glass

A - It is translucent. I find this similar to a Bud Light.
S - I smell strawberries; I smell no hops or malt. I am smelling strawberries only; I want to smell more beer.
T/M - I will admit I am not a big lager drinker, but the taste of this was similar to strawberry flavored water. I find nothing impressive about this, but I feel like this is what a strawberry lager should taste like. This is my first experience with a fruit lager.
D - I feel like I could drink all six of these and just regret that decision. I will not purchase this again; however, I look forward to trying more Abita products.
I will say that this was a letdown, but I am not sure what I was expecting.

03-08-2011 03:12:00 | More by luxbwin
Brad007

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a pale golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks like a standard lager by the color.

Strawberry essence is intoxicating, nearly overpowering to the nose. Not much can be detected underneath. Not even the hallmarks of a lager.

Taste is rather bland with just a tiny bit of strawberry flavor, followed by grainy/buttery malt. Perhaps the strawberry was more abundant when fresh? Regardless, it seems like a dud.

Mouthfeel is hurt by the carbonation level and there really isn't much to taste, except for the remains of strawberry.

I'm sure that this may appeal to people who hate beer but I would not buy it again. It could always be worse, like a chelada. Ick.

03-05-2011 02:07:25 | More by Brad007
nickfl

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Pours with one finger of white foam, resting on top of a clear, golden body. The head settles fairly quickly, despite being replenished by a column of rising bubbles, it leaves little lace.

S - A light strawberry aroma with some musty hops and grainy malt.

T - Surprisingly full strawberry flavor up front with a little bit of sweet, bready malt. Some light, herbal hop in the middle along with smooth malt and light fruity flavors. The beer finishes dry with a juicy berry note and some light bitterness.

M - Moderately light body, higher than average carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Much better than I expected, the strawberry flavor is quite full and convincing. The underlying beer is nothing special, but it serves the purpose of providing a neutral platform for the berry essence. There is a little bit of a sulfuric off note in the aroma, but other than that it is clean and pretty good for what it is.

03-04-2011 05:57:48 | More by nickfl
JesteR14

A- golden straw with a white foamy 2 finger head. small bubbles comming up from the bottom of my pint glass.,

S- smells weak, sweet but doesnt smell like strawberrys

T- Sweet and strawberry! candy like, which sounds not enjoyable but a pretty pleasant drink. i thnk i couldnt drink to many, but still enjoyable.

M- bubbly, leaves smooth.

03-03-2011 06:35:40 | More by JesteR14
ksmi116

4.13/5  rDev +19.7%

Pored into a pint glass, from the 2011 year.

A - Very clear golden color, resembles your typical mass brewery look of a small head that dissipates quickly, no real lacing.

S - This surprised me, in a bad way. At first, could not smell any strawberry, just a typical smell for a light lager. After the head dissipated, I could smell the strawberry flavor, which had a bit of a sickly sweet smell to it.

T - This is so much better than the first two categories. The strawberry is not overpowering, and the wheat comes across in a great way. This is refreshing and flavorful, which surprised me as when I first had this beer several years ago I found it sickly sweet and something I could not stomach. Much improved in 2011.

M - Not too heavy or light, goes down almost like a soda. Great feeling in the mouth.

D (Overall effect) - Even though this is not my favorite kind of beer, it is easy to see why it is such a hit in the south. For a good low price, this is definitely one to pick up when you see it since it is a limited release!

03-01-2011 00:46:34 | More by ksmi116
ObeerwanCO

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

A very light beer, pale yellow. Poured with a decent head that quickly went away.

It has a sweet fruity strawberry smell, with a little mustiness. The taste is strange. The packaging says "made with real Louisiana strawberries," but the strawberry flavor seems artificial. Initially, it reminded me of smarties candies and maybe bubble gum and then the finish was more like a strawberry flavored sugar cereal. I'm not getting any hops or much flavor other than the strawberry. I think this would be better if it retained more of the strawberry tartness.

I don't like this very much, however, I have to give it credit for originality and I could see how this would be good served cold on a hot day. It is light bodied and drinkable, although the strawberry flavor gets old for me pretty quickly (and I like strawberries).

02-27-2011 06:09:01 | More by ObeerwanCO
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Neck dated Best Before 07/18/11.

Pours a crystal-clear pale straw yellow with very thin white head that fades quickly. Nose smells of strawberry preserves and dry hay.

Palate is wide and juicy with strawberry jam-like flavor density (not mouthfeel) and than snaps back and forth to a zippy, mildly hoppy lager. Freeze-dried strawberries come to mind as a better flavor descriptor (you know, like in some cereals?).

Kind of an odd beer. Refreshing, but unusual. Definitely scores some points for uniqueness.

02-27-2011 04:34:08 | More by SFLpunk
StLThrash

Missouri

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Gold, hazy, with very little head. Half a finger at most. Kept a nice cap throughout. Some minor lacing.

S - Definite fruity / strawberry (duh!). Smelled almost like a champagne or a strawberry wine cooler did back in the day. Very fruity on the nose.

T - Just OK - nothing special. Definitely tastes like strawberries. Not overpowering, but you know it's there.

M - A little too carbonated for my taste. Again, reminded me kind of champagne for some reason. A little dry finish.

D - If you like fruit beers, and especially strawberry / champagne, then you'll like this. Probably best on a warm spring day.

I typically really like fruit beers (big fan of Abita Purple Haze, that's why I tried this one), Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Twisted Pine Raspberry wheat, etc... but this one didn't do too much for me. Average.

02-24-2011 21:38:25 | More by StLThrash
Dave128

Kentucky

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Pretty pale with medium haze.

S - Eww. Smells kinda skunky and gross. I can smell the stawberry tho..

T - MUCH better than the smell. Very crisp and the fruit is not too much. Strawberry is not a distinctive taste for me it just tastes generally fruity. I mean it doesnt necessarily scream strawberry. Tastes pretty good though. Kinda like a decent macro (high life or pbr) with strawberry added.

M - well carbonated with a light body

D - pretty good beer. Not really my cup of tea but I can def appreciate it and it would be a good one to drink after a workout to cool off.

02-20-2011 04:46:20 | More by Dave128
AlCaponeJunior

2.78/5  rDev -19.4%

Very pale tan and mostly clear with a half finger head and ok lacing.

Smell is not too good. Funked and skunked with a little bit of BO in there.

Tastes better than it smells. Lagery with a touch of strawberry.

Somewhat dry despite a mild sweetness. Light bodied with mid level carbonation.

It's ok but I wouldn't seek it out or recommend it.

02-20-2011 01:11:50 | More by AlCaponeJunior
sixerofelixir

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz bottle. Best-by date etched into bottle neck.

Pours a very light, golden yellow. A micro-bubbled, white ring forms. Smell is mainly one thing - strawberries - and gobs of them. Taste is the exact thing, just tons of fresh strawberries. A wheatie base. A bit of finishing hops hits at the right spot let you know this is a beer. Feel is a bit thin, and finishes sweet and sticky. Drinkability definitely above average. If you like strawberries, this one is a no-brainer.

02-18-2011 06:05:56 | More by sixerofelixir
Zaradog

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

I'm still fairly new at this and so had no intention of reviewing anything yet. I find that my taste in beers is still changing week to week so I'm not really ready to start putting my thoughts to "paper".

I have to review the small of this beer though.

The initial open mouth smell (not sure what that is called) is not so good. But I have to say that the after taste of this beer is pleasant and very reminiscent of the "crunch berries" in Cap'n Crunch Cereal. I know that sounds funny, but everyone in my family thought so.

That's 5/5 votes for "crunch berry" scent.

All in all the after taste / smell alone was enough to conjure up good memories from my childhood... not something I typically expect from a beer.

02-11-2011 01:24:53 | More by Zaradog
NODAK

Tennessee

3.83/5  rDev +11%

My main worry with fruit beers like this is that they will come or like a wine cooler. So we shall see.

Smells mostly sweet of strawberries with a bit of a tart side as well. It isn't bad, but not great either.

The taste is of mild strawberries with a somewhat sweet (but nowhere near overbearing) flavor to it. Rather restrained compared to what they could have done. Finishes with a pretty definite wheat character to it along with the strawberries. Actually tastes a little like strawberries and cream at the end.

So all in all, it isn't badly done, and thankfully it isn't anything like a wine cooler or cloyingly sweet.

01-29-2011 02:52:50 | More by NODAK
ragincaucasian

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

Bought a case mid January 2011 in Shreveport for this review

I've enjoyed this brew for the past four seasons. The 2011 batch is considerably less fruity, with a much more subdued strawberry flavor. I mean this in a good way. Though the previous season's have been extremely sweet, to the point of tasting like liquid Fruity Pebbles (still, not a bad thing).

Poured into a 16oz pilsner glass, the head is frothy and thick, but dissipates shortly thereafter into a cloudy amber hue.

The aroma strikes you as you take a drink - like you stuck your nose in a box of Captain Crunch. This year's batch is extremely smooth and the flavor is the perfect balance of sweet and bitter, but again not as sweet as previous years (to avoid the overpowering of fullness).

01-29-2011 02:30:33 | More by ragincaucasian
EgadBananas

3.9/5  rDev +13%

Clear, rather yellow. Stark white head, laces well. The look is not hugely appealing.

Aroma is pleasant. Strawberries. Grainy breadiness. Pleasant sweetness.

Sweet strawberries, light malts and yeast.

Feel is light, with low carbonation and a bit of crispness.

Easy drinker.

Its a strawberry lager...and it does that pretty well. What else is there to expect?

01-22-2011 04:55:13 | More by EgadBananas
DrDemento456

I don't know how old this beer is since their is no "best by" date noted (why put it on the label if your not going to mark it?) but I guess its a 3-6 months old.

A - Whew thank god I got head! A half inch of foamy white that turns to a ring of lace. Color is a nice bright yellow but not a light beer color like Coors lite (piss yellow) Slight hazy with tons of carbonation bubbles. Lovely!

S - Wow not so much strawberry in the nose more wheat which is nice but a mild bitter grain in the nose is kind of off-putting. Hope its sweet.

T - Strawberry is their but not too sweet or cloying, kind of tart but not really. Balanced great with the wheat. That bitter grain isn't in the taste which is appreciated and the finish is pretty sweet. I dare say its damn drinkable!

M - Light bodied but still full of flavor.

D - Good fruit beer? Heck yeah right up there by Purple Haze! Good light beer? Definitely would prefer this over any light lager any day! Buy it again well... yes I would but only if I could find a reasonable price for a six pack or case. As of now a sixer is around 14 dollars so it's not on to top to drink again but overall try it if you can!

01-07-2011 01:50:18 | More by DrDemento456
Mora2000

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

The beer pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is heavy on the strawberries with some wheat mixed in. The aroma is fairly syrupy. The flavor is strawberry, wheat and some vanilla. The beer tastes a lot like a strawberry Jolly Rancher. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not bad, a pretty good use of fruit in a beer.

12-13-2010 01:47:57 | More by Mora2000
WildRage

2.55/5  rDev -26.1%

I'm not a huge fan of this beer, although I should have known what I got myself into when I purchased a 'Strawberry Harvest Lager."

Very sweet, strawberry smell. Very light light (did I say light?) color. Extremely thin body. Very basic and not complex at all.

I really like Abita's Purple Haze and TurboDog, but would never purchase this one again.

That being said, if served very cold on a hot summer day, I wouldn't turn it away.

11-13-2010 14:25:28 | More by WildRage
jrallen34

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz bottle drank from my Narke tulip...A very carbonated beer with ok retention, poor lacing. The beer is a really light piss neon, cloudy, unattractive...A shocking aroma, that is fairly successful for a lager, abita and strawberry beer. Real, fresh picked strawberries come through nicely, sweet sugar (a little generic cotton candy), with a slight skunk finish. Imagined this would be terrible, surprised in a good way, unique...The taste brings about the strawberry beer let down that is common, however not as bad as most. The taste is really light and plain, mostly showing off strawberry sugar water, kin to drinking a sparkling water. Nothing gross, just not stellar...This is a watery bodied beer with too much carbonation on the tongue...Easy to drink but not satisfying.

If rated against other strawberry beers this is well above average. Compared to other fruit beers its well below average. Give this is shot if you LOVE strawberries, otherwise you can skip it.

10-16-2010 21:02:16 | More by jrallen34
jsanford

Georgia

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

Reviewed from notes taken on 6/17/10

A - Crystal-clear pale gold with a bubbly white head. Lively carbonation.

S - Uhhh...strawberries. And cereal. Actually, this smells exactly like Special K Red Berries Cereal.

T - More strawberries, toasted malt, and cereal grain with a bit of lemon zest. The strawberry flavor is pleasant and tastes somewhat authentic.

M - Very light bodied with high carbonation. Very refreshing.

D - Excellent hot-day beer, quite refreshing and drinkable.

09-22-2010 15:27:22 | More by jsanford
KTCamm

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz stubby bottle into a pint glass.

Pours very clear pale golden yellow with some small bubbles and minimal white foam. Faint berry smell.

Light balanced taste with a hint of berry in the finish. Very clean. Fruit is hardly prominent and just ever so slightly influences the taste.

Good carbonation balance, quite drinkable. Refreshing.

07-02-2010 13:17:14 | More by KTCamm
hooliganlife

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

thanks to brandoneast

pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a crisp fizzy head. nice retention. no lacing.

light strawberries mixed with a lemon zest and malt

a very malt lager with a slight strawberry feel through out. light floral hops hidden underneath.

moderate carbonation, light body

this is pretty decent actually, not something i would usually try but it works.

07-02-2010 01:18:13 | More by hooliganlife
u2carew

3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz. Stubby.
A) Pours with thin, wispy head. Settles quickly to nearly no head. Clear body. Gold in color.
S) Strawberry. Malty aroma but a dry, chalky scent.
T) Subtle strawberry with a balanced mix of malt sweetness - caramel, toasty. Light hints of citrus fruit.
M) Fizzy. Light bodied. Slightly dry in the finish.
D) A nice brew for the summer time.

06-23-2010 00:18:38 | More by u2carew
allengarvin

4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer pours a bright, crystal-clear gold with an airy head. The nose features plenty of strawberry, appropriately enough, though little else. On taste, though, this is a surprisingly good fruit beer. There's a good amount of strawberriness, certainly, but it's not overly sweet, like most fruit beers. It has a genuine strawberry flavor, rather than something you'd find in a breakfast cereal. Also, there's a balance from moderately bitter hops as well. I don't get any hop flavor, but it helps dry things out and make it more refreshing to drink.

Every now and then, Abita makes a really decent beer. This is one of their best.

05-23-2010 23:48:33 | More by allengarvin
Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.