Strawberry Harvest Lager - Abita Brewing Co.

Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

(Beer added by: Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005)
3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Tried this for the first time in NOLA when on an incredible vacation. The food was incredible, the French Quarter was memorable, Bourbon Street was crazy, the Dominican cigars were fresh and enjoyable...the beer brings back all of those memories. The strawberry flavor is subtle and well blended in a very smooth tasting, very summer, and very exciting beer to look forward to.

4.97/5  rDev +44.5%

This is my first review, so here it goes

A-Poured quickley down the center of a pint glass, had a thick white head that stuck around for a while. The beer was gold in color, transparent and lightly carbonated

S- Smelled like strawberry shortcake champagne. Fresh strawberry smell, nothing fake about it

T- Starts with a watery wheat with a litte grain. Small hint of citus in the hop profile. Finishes sweet strawberry, almost causes strawberry breath

M- Light in the mouth with light carbonation. Finishes sweet on the back of the tounge and dry on the palate

Overall this is a solid fruit beer! I am no a big fruit beer guy, but after drinking a 6 pack this will be my go to fruit beer. I actually called Pints o Plenty In forrest VA to see if they could get me a keg

3.2/5  rDev -7%

Pours pale straw yellow with a fizzy white head. A little lacing.

You get the essence of strawberry in the nose and some light malt.

First sip is light malt and mild Frankenberry strawberry flavor. Good thing it has no strength, or this would be dreadful. Mild enough for the crispness of the brew to beat it down. Finishes clean.

Light bodied and carbonated.

Not great at all. Artificial flavor kills this. Glad I only had one. Not horrific, but borderline passable.

4.03/5  rDev +17.2%

A: Bright golden color that reflects the light well and carries a nice lace of head.
S: Nice strawberry jam aroma with some slight wheat malt.
T: So good fresh strawberry flavor. Not as sweet as the aroma would imply. Very natural and sweet with some good maltiness and slight hop flavoring.
D/M: Very crisp and drinkable. Overall a very good beer for the season.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Drinking this beer in the rain right now at cellar temperature. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my mouth. Not very appropriate BUT come summer I'm going to drink a case of this while my son mows the lawn. Sweet strawberry smell reminds me of chewy candy. Artificial candy. Taste and body are thin, lighter strawberry but still with a strange creaminess. Despite all these things I really like this beer. In the summer. If you like kissing people who wear strawberry lip gloss give this a shot.

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy pale body. Thin head leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Lots of strawberries and sugary sweetness like a birthday cake. In all, reminiscent of strawberry shortcake.

T: Strawberry is definitely detectable, but it's more of an essence than actual flavor. Sweet bready notes. Slightly metallic.

M: Medium to light, fairly bubbly.

D: Not too bad. It's nothing to geek out over, but it's good for what it is.

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a thin white head with little retention.

Smells like mild strawberry on top of a creamy pale malt. Hard to discern much else.

The flavor starts out with a blend of sweet strawberry and light but full malt that grows into a very doughy body, followed by just a hint of tartness. The malt is a touch dry, and the slight sweetness from the berries balances it nicely.

Light and decently refreshing, super-easy to drink, good malt definition with just a touch of hop finish, I normally don't like fruit beers because they're easy to screw up but this one works out pretty well.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Clear amber with a small head and some linger.

S: Smells like a White Zinfandel mixed with regular Abita.

T: Sweet strawberry up front with a slightly dry finish.

M: Light body with a decent amount of carbonation.

Pretty good beer overall. Not a dominatingly fruity beer like some others, just a beer mixed with a bit of strawberry flavor. I'll enjoy this 6-pack, but I won't rush back for another.

4.08/5  rDev +18.6%

What is crazy about this beer is the difference between the nose and taste. Its a pale cloudy straw yellow with creamy thin white head that sticks around and leaves a sticky sea foam lace. It looks like a light lager should.

The nose is intoxicating and overpoweringly sweet. I could sit and smell this all night. Fresh sweet strawberries dominate. Scents of vanilla and cream.

The front end of the taste is fresh strawberries, but not overpowering like the nose. The wheat comes through and tart hints from the berries are on the back of the tounge. Imitation strawberry taste in there too like strawberry ice cream. A touch of lemony hops goes well with the tart bite. A bit watery, but what a light lager should be.

The mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side for me, but its got a good grainy texture from the wheat.

Overall an easy drinker that the ladies should love. The only thing to compare it to is Pete's Wicked Strawberry blonde and I'd say this one is the better of the two.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

(12oz bottle). Pours slightly cloudy with white head. Aroma of berries is prominent plus something that reminds me of cotton candy. Taste is sweet and tart from the berries with a bitter aftertaste. Thinner bodied with and oily texture. Bitter finish that seems a bit harsh for the softness of the strawberries. Not bad and probably my favorite abita to date.

2.48/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Very light, limited cloudiness. 1/2-1 finger head.
S: Gives off a strong scent of strawberries, which dominates any malty notes. My first strawberry lager but it seems too overpowering.
T: Strawberry flavor is plentiful, yet tart. More maltiness in a sip than smell, but an absence of seemingly necessary hops.
M: Smooth enough so that the tartness does not linger on the tongue; light.
D: Not a "go-to" beer, but will finish 6-pack.

Poured from a 12 oz Abita bottle into a Saint Arnold pint glass

A - It is translucent. I find this similar to a Bud Light.
S - I smell strawberries; I smell no hops or malt. I am smelling strawberries only; I want to smell more beer.
T/M - I will admit I am not a big lager drinker, but the taste of this was similar to strawberry flavored water. I find nothing impressive about this, but I feel like this is what a strawberry lager should taste like. This is my first experience with a fruit lager.
D - I feel like I could drink all six of these and just regret that decision. I will not purchase this again; however, I look forward to trying more Abita products.
I will say that this was a letdown, but I am not sure what I was expecting.

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a pale golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks like a standard lager by the color.

Strawberry essence is intoxicating, nearly overpowering to the nose. Not much can be detected underneath. Not even the hallmarks of a lager.

Taste is rather bland with just a tiny bit of strawberry flavor, followed by grainy/buttery malt. Perhaps the strawberry was more abundant when fresh? Regardless, it seems like a dud.

Mouthfeel is hurt by the carbonation level and there really isn't much to taste, except for the remains of strawberry.

I'm sure that this may appeal to people who hate beer but I would not buy it again. It could always be worse, like a chelada. Ick.

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Pours with one finger of white foam, resting on top of a clear, golden body. The head settles fairly quickly, despite being replenished by a column of rising bubbles, it leaves little lace.

S - A light strawberry aroma with some musty hops and grainy malt.

T - Surprisingly full strawberry flavor up front with a little bit of sweet, bready malt. Some light, herbal hop in the middle along with smooth malt and light fruity flavors. The beer finishes dry with a juicy berry note and some light bitterness.

M - Moderately light body, higher than average carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Much better than I expected, the strawberry flavor is quite full and convincing. The underlying beer is nothing special, but it serves the purpose of providing a neutral platform for the berry essence. There is a little bit of a sulfuric off note in the aroma, but other than that it is clean and pretty good for what it is.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- golden straw with a white foamy 2 finger head. small bubbles comming up from the bottom of my pint glass.,

S- smells weak, sweet but doesnt smell like strawberrys

T- Sweet and strawberry! candy like, which sounds not enjoyable but a pretty pleasant drink. i thnk i couldnt drink to many, but still enjoyable.

M- bubbly, leaves smooth.

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

Pored into a pint glass, from the 2011 year.

A - Very clear golden color, resembles your typical mass brewery look of a small head that dissipates quickly, no real lacing.

S - This surprised me, in a bad way. At first, could not smell any strawberry, just a typical smell for a light lager. After the head dissipated, I could smell the strawberry flavor, which had a bit of a sickly sweet smell to it.

T - This is so much better than the first two categories. The strawberry is not overpowering, and the wheat comes across in a great way. This is refreshing and flavorful, which surprised me as when I first had this beer several years ago I found it sickly sweet and something I could not stomach. Much improved in 2011.

M - Not too heavy or light, goes down almost like a soda. Great feeling in the mouth.

D (Overall effect) - Even though this is not my favorite kind of beer, it is easy to see why it is such a hit in the south. For a good low price, this is definitely one to pick up when you see it since it is a limited release!

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

A very light beer, pale yellow. Poured with a decent head that quickly went away.

It has a sweet fruity strawberry smell, with a little mustiness. The taste is strange. The packaging says "made with real Louisiana strawberries," but the strawberry flavor seems artificial. Initially, it reminded me of smarties candies and maybe bubble gum and then the finish was more like a strawberry flavored sugar cereal. I'm not getting any hops or much flavor other than the strawberry. I think this would be better if it retained more of the strawberry tartness.

I don't like this very much, however, I have to give it credit for originality and I could see how this would be good served cold on a hot day. It is light bodied and drinkable, although the strawberry flavor gets old for me pretty quickly (and I like strawberries).

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Neck dated Best Before 07/18/11.

Pours a crystal-clear pale straw yellow with very thin white head that fades quickly. Nose smells of strawberry preserves and dry hay.

Palate is wide and juicy with strawberry jam-like flavor density (not mouthfeel) and than snaps back and forth to a zippy, mildly hoppy lager. Freeze-dried strawberries come to mind as a better flavor descriptor (you know, like in some cereals?).

Kind of an odd beer. Refreshing, but unusual. Definitely scores some points for uniqueness.

3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Gold, hazy, with very little head. Half a finger at most. Kept a nice cap throughout. Some minor lacing.

S - Definite fruity / strawberry (duh!). Smelled almost like a champagne or a strawberry wine cooler did back in the day. Very fruity on the nose.

T - Just OK - nothing special. Definitely tastes like strawberries. Not overpowering, but you know it's there.

M - A little too carbonated for my taste. Again, reminded me kind of champagne for some reason. A little dry finish.

D - If you like fruit beers, and especially strawberry / champagne, then you'll like this. Probably best on a warm spring day.

I typically really like fruit beers (big fan of Abita Purple Haze, that's why I tried this one), Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Twisted Pine Raspberry wheat, etc... but this one didn't do too much for me. Average.

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Pretty pale with medium haze.

S - Eww. Smells kinda skunky and gross. I can smell the stawberry tho..

T - MUCH better than the smell. Very crisp and the fruit is not too much. Strawberry is not a distinctive taste for me it just tastes generally fruity. I mean it doesnt necessarily scream strawberry. Tastes pretty good though. Kinda like a decent macro (high life or pbr) with strawberry added.

M - well carbonated with a light body

D - pretty good beer. Not really my cup of tea but I can def appreciate it and it would be a good one to drink after a workout to cool off.

2.78/5  rDev -19.2%

Very pale tan and mostly clear with a half finger head and ok lacing.

Smell is not too good. Funked and skunked with a little bit of BO in there.

Tastes better than it smells. Lagery with a touch of strawberry.

Somewhat dry despite a mild sweetness. Light bodied with mid level carbonation.

It's ok but I wouldn't seek it out or recommend it.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz bottle. Best-by date etched into bottle neck.

Pours a very light, golden yellow. A micro-bubbled, white ring forms. Smell is mainly one thing - strawberries - and gobs of them. Taste is the exact thing, just tons of fresh strawberries. A wheatie base. A bit of finishing hops hits at the right spot let you know this is a beer. Feel is a bit thin, and finishes sweet and sticky. Drinkability definitely above average. If you like strawberries, this one is a no-brainer.

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

I'm still fairly new at this and so had no intention of reviewing anything yet. I find that my taste in beers is still changing week to week so I'm not really ready to start putting my thoughts to "paper".

I have to review the small of this beer though.

The initial open mouth smell (not sure what that is called) is not so good. But I have to say that the after taste of this beer is pleasant and very reminiscent of the "crunch berries" in Cap'n Crunch Cereal. I know that sounds funny, but everyone in my family thought so.

That's 5/5 votes for "crunch berry" scent.

All in all the after taste / smell alone was enough to conjure up good memories from my childhood... not something I typically expect from a beer.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

My main worry with fruit beers like this is that they will come or like a wine cooler. So we shall see.

Smells mostly sweet of strawberries with a bit of a tart side as well. It isn't bad, but not great either.

The taste is of mild strawberries with a somewhat sweet (but nowhere near overbearing) flavor to it. Rather restrained compared to what they could have done. Finishes with a pretty definite wheat character to it along with the strawberries. Actually tastes a little like strawberries and cream at the end.

So all in all, it isn't badly done, and thankfully it isn't anything like a wine cooler or cloyingly sweet.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

Bought a case mid January 2011 in Shreveport for this review

I've enjoyed this brew for the past four seasons. The 2011 batch is considerably less fruity, with a much more subdued strawberry flavor. I mean this in a good way. Though the previous season's have been extremely sweet, to the point of tasting like liquid Fruity Pebbles (still, not a bad thing).

Poured into a 16oz pilsner glass, the head is frothy and thick, but dissipates shortly thereafter into a cloudy amber hue.

The aroma strikes you as you take a drink - like you stuck your nose in a box of Captain Crunch. This year's batch is extremely smooth and the flavor is the perfect balance of sweet and bitter, but again not as sweet as previous years (to avoid the overpowering of fullness).

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.