Abita Select Doppelbock - Abita Brewing Co.

Abita Select Doppelbock
No picture uploaded.

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Our doppelbock is made with German lager, Munich, and caramel malts. These malts give it a deep brown color and intense malt character and flavor. It is hopped with German Perle and Hallertau hops: these are the hops that are traditionally used in German doppelbocks. This gives the beer the necessary amount of hop flavor to balance out the sweetness of this very strong lager. The result is a brown colored beer that is very strong, malty, and flavorful.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-2005)
Reviews by TeeCee:
TeeCee

Louisiana

4.4/5  rDev +17%

Quick review - malty but sessionable (for me) light version of a Doppelbock.

I had a keg of this for a party and a boil (CO2 driven - no handpump/oxygen), so I got to pour it my way many, many, many times. I'm now enjoining the last of it.

The head pours medium to tall when poured hard but can be very shallow if poured gently. The head dissipates rather quickly, leaving foam stuck to the sides of the glass. The beer is slightly red tinted deep golden brown.

Smelling it, all I can smell is malt. The scent reminds me of some of the extracts I use when I home brew. If there's any hop in that scent, it's hidden.

The taste (my last sip!) hints at some bitterness, the hops I can't smell, but the malt is all over it. The mouthfeel is medium thick with no fizziness.

As I stated, I had this beer for a party and a boil. I also had a keg of Abita Wheat. Almost everyone of those good for nothing guests went for the Doppelbock! Argh!

05-27-2009 00:42:14 | More by TeeCee
philipquarles

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

A new batch is available on cask at the Brew Pub as of Jan '09.

Pours a dark, hazy mahogany with a giant off-white head. Very resilient--it lasted until I finished my glass. Lacing is just about perfect. Smells faintly of dark caramel malts, with slight roasty/chocolate character. The taste is likewise subdued dark malt with a slight caramel character. Very slight alcohol noticeable at the end. Very nice, thick feel with a good, slightly creamy head. Overall, a decent beer. Far from the best doppel out there, but leagues better than a lot of what Abita offers. Definitely worth trying if available.

01-03-2009 22:37:00 | More by philipquarles
twiggamortis420

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

This was on the 'select' tap at the brewpub, I am glad they brought this one back. Pours a medium brown color with some reddish highlights. Not an overabundance of foam, but what is there fades fairly rapidly to a thin sheen and nice lacing.

Nose is leaning heavily towards sweet caramel malts and faint flowery hops...I'm guessing hallertau. Not a bad nose at all, but a tad weak.

Taste is a musky, sweet caramel malt flavor. Residual sugars are in evidence in the full mouthfeel and lingering sweetness on the palate. Has most of the desirable qualities for a doppelbock for sure. This is a fairly smooth and enjoyable DB and would be happy to drink again.

04-12-2009 01:50:22 | More by twiggamortis420
acrawf6

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours out a dark clear brown, but is clear. Tan head. Nice lacing.

Smell. A sweet malt, slighly roasty, but now as roasty as others in it's style. smells like it is creamy. not bad. quite similar to the bock seasonal.

Taste. More close to the bock seasonal. Malty, but not as roasted as the aroma would suggest. a little bit on the sweet side, but not bad. I am really thinking this recipe is very close to the mardi gras bock.

Mouthfeel is good. medium to full body and a good amount of carbonation. a bit creamy. is nice.

Overall. A great beer from abita. i enjoy this everytime i hit my local bar at my girlfriends place, and enjoy a growler of this occasionally (it's been out for a couple of months). good stuff.

02-24-2006 02:53:28 | More by acrawf6
DeezGunz14

11-19-2011 20:08:28 | More by DeezGunz14
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

12-05-2011 00:35:43 | More by KrisPaulk77
SkeeterHawk

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

I stopped by the brew pub on the way back from Florida and I couldn't get this review done on my BlackBerry, so I took notes.

Appearance: Somewhat cloudy reddish orange color with tons of lace. There was a standing head of various sized bubbles that stuck around forever and left a pretty-much solid wall of lace on the glass after the beer fell.

Aroma: Some woody notes present with some obvious oxidation. Sweet toasty notes make up the majority of the aroma with the alcohol making a noticeable showing. There is no hops to speak of.

Taste: It is also malty with some toasty notes and caramel. The woody flavors are there, but I don't get as much oxidation in the flavor as I expected there to be from the aroma. The beer is medium to thin and actually comes across the palate as quite light. The alcohol is also very noticeable and it doesn't really have the malty backbone to hide behind as is more typical for this style.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and I am not sure how the cask conditioning helped this particular beer. It seemed that it makes it come across with more character of an Old Ale than it does as a DoppelBock. Now that I have tried the cask version, I would like to sample the original version to compare. I suspect that the cask is thinning the beer, so it may be really robust.

03-11-2010 05:53:47 | More by SkeeterHawk
timbro81

Oklahoma

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to deepsouth in the Brews 'N' Tunes 3 BIF for the opportunity. Pours a rich golden orange color with a quick fading head. Low amounts of carbonation. Smells of malty sweet caramelized bananas, its good but its very faint. Decent mouth feel. Light amounts of toasted malts mingle with a soft sweetness and balanced with a miner amount of nondescript hops. Finish is slightly toasty. Well done.

07-16-2008 02:02:53 | More by timbro81
biggmike

Mississippi

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

This beer poured a dirty brown color with decent head that did not last very long. Aroma was kind of weird, my brother thought it smelled a bit like wheat pasta. Flavor is of caramel and dark malt. Had an earthy quality to it. Mouthfeel seemed a little thin. Decent, but nothing special. I do applaud Abita for trying.

01-12-2009 15:51:55 | More by biggmike
Abita Select Doppelbock from Abita Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.