Mardi Gras Bock - Abita Brewing Co.

Mardi Gras Bock
No picture uploaded.

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Bock (January – March) is the first of our seasonal brews. It is brewed with Perle hops and pale and caramel malts. Our Bock is similar to a German Maibock in its high malt content, full body and slightly higher alcohol content. Abita Bock is a very popular brew, especially during our Mardi Gras season.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mardi Gras Bock Alström Bros
1.33/5  rDev -61.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm pulling for any craft brew south of the Mason Dixon line particularly these folks in LA. I've also enjoyed a few TurboDogs and Ambers in my day so I picked up a six of the Mardi Gras Bock to give it a try. I first tried their brew at the Rock n' Bowl in New Orleans about 15 years ago while I was down there.

Much to my disappointment, I just poured three bottles of this brew down the sink. The beer, while not skunked, had an awfully unpleasant taste. The beer had a dark golden color and not an unpleasant nose but I struggled to get through each bottle without finishing any.

AndyRun66, Apr 22, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -45.2%

With aggressive pouring got a smallish off white head and a little lace. Color is a hazy medium amber. Aroma is malt caramel fruit. Flavor is two dimensional: malt caramel with carbonic acid a hint of hop and fruit. Body is ok but carbonation is way over done- seems forced. Finish is like flavor. Came all the way down here thinking I could get some special Abitas that I can't get at home. I'm askin ya, is this any way to answer a reasonable question? Can't finish this beer.

drpimento, May 29, 2010
1.98/5  rDev -42.3%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy yellowish amber color with a few floaties...maybe hops?...I hope. There was about ¼ inch of creamy foam on top of the beer at first pour. The head retained for a couple minutes and was sustained by quite a few bubbles rising through the murky liquid.

Aroma: Amazingly enough, I smell noticeable hops in this beer! So much for being a true Bock style because it is almost distracting. Other than this, I get some nutty/toasty malts that may be Munich as well as some British malts I’d guess. This is a weird combination in a beer.

Taste: Hmmm, how do I describe this? It is really dry for a Bock. It is very attenuated, and the hops are a big player in this beer. There is a little caramel to the beer, as well as a bit of the toasty malts that I got in the aroma. The beer is really light, and the carbonation is noticeable, so it makes the beer come across the palate like a bat out of heck...just leaving you with a bitter aftertaste from the hops. There is some astringency here also.

Opinion: This is the second time I’ve tried this beer, and I remember thinking the last time that it was an OK beer. This one is way out of balance. Maybe they may do better in coming years, but I wouldn’t buy the ’05 again.

SkeeterHawk, Aug 26, 2005

cardinals22, Aug 10, 2014

SteveJeremy, Jan 19, 2014

olliegaff, Sep 14, 2013

twenty5, May 10, 2013

tmars13, Mar 03, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours clear golden color with a nice fluffy white head. The smell of an earthy grain and lightly sweet malt with a bit of spicy hops shining through. After first taste, this reminds me of a bolder version of Miller High Life with a sweet corn taste. Adjuncts? I’m not sure about that, but from the taste I wouldn’t be surprised. It also contains a perfumey fake finish that doesn’t settle well. It is a light bodied brew and finishes with a headache. This is not a good brew! So far, so bad with my Abita journey, and this one is the worst! I’m not impressed. This seems to be a brewery that makes shortcuts on their brews IMO. Cheers anyways!

BeerAngel, Apr 09, 2003

JustinMatthew, May 06, 2012

biercycle, Apr 08, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -39.4%

Lil' stubby 12 oz’er with a ‘best before June 14th' date etched into the paper label. This pour is a sub-par brew in all aspects. Slight head, pale yellow, clear lemonade hue with minute head sliding down the glass. We're talkin' bust out the microscope.

Scent didn’t show up to my nose, other than scant ginger ale & skimpy malts.

Tastes like a malty kolsch lager rather than a pale ale without much of a hop balance showing up to the party, here. Watery & grainy aftertaste.

Last swigs: Best aspect? No adjunct tastes. That is the highest compliment I can give. Why does ABITA make these freaky brews? Bock? Really? Marketing ploy to fill out the 12 x 2 mixed case? I guess. Oh well…every lottery ticket can not be a winner. Emeril’s fave *BAM* turn-it-up-a-notch Turbo dog rocks. ABITA Bock turns it *fizzle* down a notch.

*** UPDATE ***
Second time reviewed...no biggie. I up'ed the Feel to a whopping, Earth shattering 2.5. Other than that, My previous review still stands.

Beer is good. Happy grainy brewing.

blitheringidiot, May 06, 2004
2.23/5  rDev -35%

Pours with a thick head, but very thin lacing and almost no head retention. Golden color. Heavy carbination, but not too much. Very light aroma, hint of champagne in the scent, and there is an almost sweet champagne taste in there too somewhere. Maybe it is apple juice -sparkling cider? Slight bite in there, light bitterness that is left in your mouth afterwards. Light tasting beer, smooth, would be good for hot days in the sun. Goes down easy. One of the better of the Abita's.

shapudding, Apr 17, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

Carpentiere, Jun 05, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

allbrigs, Mar 12, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours an amber garnet with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells sulphury, sweet, and slightly of floral hops. The flavor is pretty lackluster, especially in terms of the malt profile. The only thing holding my attention is the floral hop flavor and the balance to the syrupy sweetness. Mouthfeel is decent. It is neither heavy, nor is it too bubbly or anything. Drinkability? No.

goochpunch, Feb 25, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -30.6%

Grassy aroma smells oddly adjuncty. Quite unexpected aroma that reminds me of a polish lager. Clear amber with a tiny white head. Fore is thin and touches on toasty grains and mild apple notes. Pervasive watery flavor throughout. Very low flavor intensity. It's like a Bock Lite.

Jredner, Apr 10, 2006

ZekemusMaximus, Feb 19, 2012

TexAggie011, Dec 26, 2011

malfunxion, Aug 31, 2014

psdonnelly, Mar 15, 2014
Mardi Gras Bock from Abita Brewing Co.