Pecan Harvest Ale - Abita Brewing Co.

Pecan Harvest AlePecan Harvest Ale

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: acrawf6 on 02-05-2007

Pecan Harvest Ale is made with real Louisiana pecans that have been toasted to perfection. That makes it something really special, because most beers with a nutty flavor or aroma aren’t made with real nuts. The natural oils from the Louisiana pecans give the ale a light pecan finish and aroma.

Ratings: 950 | Reviews: 380
3.45/5  rDev +3.6%

Copper. Bready nose and the flavor follows the nose with the addition of some nutty notes. Not getting a distinct pecan flavor, however. Looks like a bitter, tastes like a brown.

3.07/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a brilliant clear orange with a thin layer of white head that lingers and leaves nice lacing. The smell has a nice presence of pecans. I'm actually surprised at how well the essence of pecans are contained in the aroma. Not much else comes through on the nose. The taste unfortunately does not feature the nice nutty nose the nose has. Instead, I get a bland and fizzy flavorless liquid. Almost adjunct lager flavorless. This is disappointing as the nose is quite promising. Up front I get watered down malt, this is followed by a tinge of nuttiness and a hint of sweetness. No hops to speak of. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Overall this is a let down.

This beer surprised me. I was fearing it'd be some overly-flavored concoction, kinda like many flavored coffees. It wasn't. As another reviewer noted, I didn't detect much, if any, nuttiness in it. But it poured in a manner my unsophisticated self doesn't have words for; a fantastic, solid-cloudy color I don't know what to call. Decent "ale" flavor; not too overboard, but not washed out like some seem. Definitely drinkable and refreshing. Maybe it benefits from my very low expectations for it, but I liked it well enough to rate it higher than most. Won't seek it out, but would chose it over some other stuff if given choices.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer is not spectacular. Its kind of a one note wonder. I don't really get a lot of the pecan in there. I detected maybe some nuttiness to it, but it was thick and sweet and that is about all you get. Its a nice looking beer. Has a good aroma of caramel, the slightest amount of nuttiness, I assume that is the pecans. It had a lot of head that really never tamed down. I was interested in trying this one. I have seen it for years, but its not one I would drink regularly. Its too sweet for my taste. If you like your beers to taste like a stuckey's pecan roll, then go for it!

3.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear pale to medium amber in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall foamy beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized quarter finger thick cap towards the center of the glass surrounded by a thick film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of caramel + lightly toasted malts with pecan nuttiness.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of lightly toasted biscuit malts with a light amount of caramel malts which imparts a touch of initial sweetness. That is followed by a light flavor of pecan nuttiness and just a hint of earthiness (which I guess could be attributed to the hops).

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Easy to drink and definitely a beer than reminds me of fall - it is a little on the lighter side of what I would prefer (slightly fuller body and just a touch more pecan flavor) but I can see it having wider appeal because of that... Not bad but just not too exciting.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

little to no pecan flavor when tasting. disappointing

a brown ale the doesnt taste like a brown ale or look like a brown ale i wanted this to be wonderful but its just plain nothing to write home about

Very light weight for a harvest ale.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, clear, amber color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic. Lots of pecans and butter, vanilla, caramel and some toasted malt notes as well. Reminds me of toffee and butter pecan ice cream.

Taste: Malty and nutty up front, not as sweet as the aroma, but it has some nice caramel-like sweetness. Not getting much in the way of nuts in general or pecans in particular. A little more hops than I usually like, but it’s still a very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with some pretty good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 5.0%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a pretty good beer. Great aroma, but not as good in flavor. Good malt presence, but a bit too much hops bitterness for me to really like. Worth a try once though for malt fans and I’m sure that hop heads will like this beer.

3.91/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: pours a nearly 1" off white head that dissipates rapidly leaving significant lacing. Color is amber, minimal amount of carbonation bubbles streaming up.
Aroma: love the smell of this one. Malty caramel, yeasty bread, and nutty pecans with a hint of the hops in the nose as well.
Mouthfeel: fairly light bodied and watery with a pleasant finish that leaves me ready for the next sip.
Flavor: echoes the aroma with a wonderful combination of the caramel malt flavors, the nutty flavor of the roasted pecans, and a mild hop bite at the end.
Overall: Excellent and delicious.

3.33/5  rDev 0%

A-Semi clear deep orange, some carbonation, two finger head with some lacing.

S-Lots of wheat, grass, dirt and pecans not balanced at all.

T-Not balanced at all. Starts with lots of wheat then pecans and dirt. THe base brown all isn't even noticable.

M-Medium to lighter in body, slight carbonation.

O-A bad beer. I wonder why I keep buying Abita.

2.94/5  rDev -11.7%

A-pours nice copper/amber color with an off white head with great retention
S-soft toasted pecan smell with some maltiness
T-pecans and some caramel malt, bit of dry biscuit in the finish
M-medium light bodied
O-pretty drinkable brew but overall flavor is a bit flat

3.98/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a cinnamon amber color with a thick mocha colored head. Lots of foamy lacing coats the glass.

The aroma is nutty, buttery, bready, and sweet with toffee.

The beer tastes of pecan logs, buttered up with some brown sugar sprinkled on.

The mouthfeel is a bit bright, carbonated.

Overall, this is simply the best Abita beer I've had. I'd almost given up on them, but I like this one a lot. Good for late November.

3.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a big frothy head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a copper color with great clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass.

Smell: Chewy, caramel, biscuity, roasted pecans, and mild grassy hops.

Taste: Sweet roasted pecans, caramel, grassy hops, and chewy malts.

Mouthfeel: A bit smooth, chewy, low to medium bodied, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: An enjoyable and simple beer. It was in the single area, and I gave it a whirl.

3.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer is a great example of what a pecan flavored brown ale should taste like. The smell and taste is of smoky, roasted walnuts with a nice malty backbone. It's not overly sweet but is well balanced and flavorful. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Nice, clean finish. Overall a great fall beer option; glad I gave it a shot.

This is by far the best fall seasonal beer that I've ever had. It's a cross between a Nut brown ale and an Oktober fest. When I first saw it in the store I wasn't sure that it would be good brewed with Pecans but this is a very tasty brew. I just hope that start to make it year round.

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap for a $4.50 pint at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: Good looking beer. A deep brown (ahem, PECAN) colored brew with a nice little two finger, creamy head on top. I was basically expecting a glass of brown water, but this was a good looking pint. Lacing was patchy from top to bottom... not bad at all.

Smell: I can say, maybe embarrassingly so, that I don't ever remember having pecans before in any form. Yes, that means no pecan pie, or anything of the sort. I have smelled pecans before though, and this beer does have that smell. A sweet pecan, caramel aroma. Not interesting, not awful, it's alright.

Taste/feel: Quite a lot like the smell. I read some things about this beer before having it, and it's what I expected almost exactly. The pecan and caramel is there from beginning to end, and that's it. There's no other dimension of flavor. There's not much of a bitterness. It's not bad by any means, but it's very, VERY one-note. Carbonation is quite high, and the feel is pretty low. I don't love it, but this is actually a very solid, sessionable brew. If you're looking for something to send your taste buds on a ride, this may not be it, but it's still a decent beer.

3.72/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Abita's Pecan Harvest a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer since I tend to like beers with pecans in them and I decided to try this one out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Release. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and it's pretty simple looking. It poured an amber/crimson color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a light brown sugar like aroma with the malts showing up next imparting a toasted malt and bread crust aroma with a light grainy aroma in the background. Up next comes a pretty noticeable nutty aroma and it actually smells similar to toasted pecans, This beer had a good aroma that was true to it's name, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness that gives way to some malts that have some toasted malt and bread crust like flavors with a light grainy flavor in the background. Up next comes a very nutty flavor with the toasted pecans being noticeable. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a toasted malt and nutty aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, the pecans worked very well with the malt base.

M-Very Smooth, fairly dry, a little crisp, a little watery, on the thinner side with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a pretty good example of the style, the pecans showed up nicely and they worked well with the malt base. This beer had good drinkability, it was very smooth, not filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I wouldn't have a problem drinking a couple of these. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to it's name it was, it was just as advertised. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeeel, I thought it was a little thin and watery. I would buy this beer again as a nice fall time beer and it was priced nicely. I would recommend this to anyone who likes nutty beers. All in all I enjoyed this beer and I think it's one of the better Abita beers that I have tried so far. This is a pretty nice fall time beer, good job guys.

4.04/5  rDev +21.3%

A: Light brown color with hues of orange. It is a very attractive looking beer. It has a slightly off-white head that is substantial and leaves good lacing. It is perfect.

S: There's a light scent of malt caramel, very faint, but sweet smelling. There is a faint earthy hop smell as well.

T: It has a nice mellow bready flavor. There's a bit of nuttiness as well. It tastes like a nut bread. In the aftertaste there is a hint of pecan but it is very light. It does not have a pecan pie flavor, so I feel that it is important to point this out to anyone who might be looking for that kind of flavor in a beer. I really enjoy the flavor of this beer. It's very calm and subdued which makes it extremely enjoyable to drink. I wouldn't call it perfect but it is fantastic.

M: The mouthfeel is superb. It's nice and light with just enough body and thickness. It has perfect carbonation. Extremely easy to drink.

O: Overall I feel that this is a fantastic beer. I highly recommend it. I will be looking for this beer again. My favorite part of this beer, is that it has a light nutty flavor without being artificial tasting or over the top like pecan pie. It really does taste like a pecan bread. I wouldn't say it's a perfect beer but it is outstanding.

3.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Could've swore I reviewed this before...

Pours an effervescent amber/orange with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Great lacing & very nice head retention

S: Toastyness, a touch of nuttiness & grassyness

T: Toastyness, slight nuttiness, plus dryness up front, some herbal hop notes as well. Pecan hulls, brown bread & grassy notes, plus more dryness, a touch of sulphur as well. Finishes dry, nutty, & sulphury

MF: Light bodied, slight carbonation, dry

A respectable, brown, just not one I'd buy again, much like most Abita products

3.14/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a nice deep copper color with a tiny fizzy off white head. A little bit of a reddish hue shines through the brew when held up to the light. The head fades very fast leaving only some spots of foam on the top of the brew with a couple big bubbles seen floating atop the surface.

Smell – The aroma is sweet with lots of caramel and some toffee aromas. Mixed with these are a lightly roasted malt aroma as well as some roasted pecan smells, which when mixed with the sweeter aromas, gives a light sugar roasted nut smell. It’s rather nice.

Taste –The taste begins thin, with a lightly roasted malt and caramel taste. The flavors are on the moderate to lighter side with the sweetness beginning stronger in the front and fading as the time moves on, while the roasted flavors take the exact opposite transition. Along with these flavor transitions, some flavors of toast and a roasted nut flavor of pecan come to the tongue more toward the middle of the flavor profile. The nut grows stronger to the end and is joined by a light floral and earthy hop flavor to leave a thin semi-sweet roasted nutty flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the lighter and thinner side with a carbonation that is a bit on the higher side. While the sweetness is nicely complemented by the thinness and higher carbonation, the roasted, malty and nutty flavors of the brew would have done much better with a thicker body and a lower carbonation.

Overall –The body and flavors are a bit weak which takes the brew down a step or two, but it does have decent (but very light) flavor with some nuttiness. An alright brew but nothing special.

4.63/5  rDev +39%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

With notes of caramel and pecans this beer does not disappoint. As I drink it I imagine the pecans being added in the brewing process as I taste them. This is a great beer that will have your mouth wanting another. Abita has hit the nail on the head with this beer and I wish they sold it here in Wilson, NC.

3.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer did not disappoint, but it also did not exceed my expectations. It was easy to drink and had a clean finish. I would definitely drink it again and would have liked to try it on tap. Overall, I would recommend it to others wanting something different, but Abita does have better options.

2.8/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pecan Harvest Ale ironically pours a soft pecan shade of brown with some copper and even dark-amber flashing around the edges. Mild clarity throughout, capped with a thin, off-white layer of soapy and borderline-fizzy head. No lacing of any kind, as the head only lasts for about thirty seconds or so before it's gone forever.

I would suspect that the aroma of a beer like this be primarily malt-heavy, and my suspicions were confirmed upon taking a whiff of the beer. Caramel malts, toast, biscuit, and a bit of wood-laden nuttiness in the finish. The aroma is actually kind of nice, albeit somewhat subdued and quiet compare to many other brown ales. Hops are virtually excluded, save for an ever-so-slight hint of grass that occasionally pops out somewhere between the sea of malt.

Unfortunately, you'll find fairly quickly that the taste leaves much to be desired. Saying that the aroma is underpowered quickly becomes old news once you finally take a sip. Somewhat watered down, with a very mild bruising of all the flavors listed in the aroma. Some carmael, some biscuit and breadiness, and faint nuts. But it's so thin and contempt that it's hard to really enjoy the flavors like they should be enjoyed.

Needless to say at this point, the mouth feel was pretty much hand-in-hand with the flavor in terms of expectations and disappointment. Watery, thin, slick, and leaving a slightly crisp and dry aftertaste. Speaking of aftertaste, there isn't much here. There's a very slight residual malt and wood flavor that gets left behind, but shortly after you've swallowed your sip it becomes easily forgotten.

Based on the aroma, I thought this one was gonna turn out better, but the flavor was just so vapid and mind-numbingly underwhelming. The sad thing is, the flavors were/are actually pretty decent, but they unfortunately become an afterthought to the watered-down nature of this American Brown Ale. Started solid, finished mediocre.

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 1/22/2013. Pours fairly hazy orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of caramel, biscuit, toffee, toast, brown sugar, nuttiness, floral, and light fruitiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of malt notes. Taste of caramel, biscuit, toast, toffee, brown sugar, nuttiness, floral, and light fruitiness. Lingering notes of caramel, biscuit, toast, toffee, nuttiness, and floral on the finish for a bit. Nice and well balanced malt and nutty flavors; a little mild on flavor, but very pleasant; with no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a slightly creamy and very smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good amber ale. Nice balance of flavors and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

Pecan Harvest Ale from Abita Brewing Co.