Pecan Harvest Ale - Abita Brewing Co.

Pecan Harvest AlePecan Harvest Ale

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.20% ABV

Pecan Harvest Ale is made with real Louisiana pecans that have been toasted to perfection. That makes it something really special, because most beers with a nutty flavor or aroma aren’t made with real nuts. The natural oils from the Louisiana pecans give the ale a light pecan finish and aroma.

(Beer added by: acrawf6 on 02-05-2007)
3.73/5  rDev +12%

A pretty average beer from Abita.

Amber in color, and smells of an amber beer.

Tastes like a nut brown/amber mixture, but the only thing I can taste from the pecans is the slight bitterness I would expect from the actual nut.

Not a bad beer, but not quite what I expected.

4.33/5  rDev +30%

Bottle, sampled 13 Oct 09

A: It looks like an American IPA in my glass: brown ale? Hardly. But, I'm not rating on style. It looks pretty. Orange, glimmery, hazy.

S: This smells wonderful: rich, malty, and hoppy. Strong notes of artisan toast, stuffing, and pralines.

T: This is quite nice. Not too rich at all; not overtly nutty, just pleasantly so. This would make a great autumn session beer: I could have a few of these and not tire of it (I think). Wonderful nutty note, as anticipated, and it doesn't crowd out the other aspects that are going on.

M: Smooth all the way. Slightly watery finish, but it's easy-going.

D: Abita makes a great product, and this one is no exception. Try with good cheeses, Roux soups, game, duck, or Thanksgiving dinner!

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another slightly better than mediocre offering by Abita. The beer pours a fairly clear amber color with not much of a head to speak of. The carbonation is on the low side, but it isn't a flat beer. The nose is crystal malts, and I can't really distinguish the pecans. There might be some undefined nutty flavors, but not much.

The taste is a bit overly processed. There is a nutty taste to the beer, it is slightly watery. There are some odd notes on the backend. In the mid section the beer is a bit too clean, some dryish notes, with some mediocre tasting ale highlights. I guess I'm tasting some pecan, but it really isn't defined that well. This beer I can do without another. The mouthfeel is adequate, not much aftertaste, a bit watery, not a keeper.

1.93/5  rDev -42%

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 finger head, amber color.

S: Smells of pecan and some caramel. Decent smell with slight spice as well.

T: Bitter - heavy unnatural pecan palate. This gbeer had potential but didn't deliver.

M/D: Decent mouthfeel, not bad or good.

Simple, pleasant but not extraordinary beer.

3.73/5  rDev +12%

12oz. brown bottle served in a shaker pint. Poured a slightly hazy reddish gold with a thin whitehead. Nice aroma, this is where you get the most pecan character. Light to medium bodied. Plenty of caramel malt. Slight hop bitterness in the finish. Very easy drinking and sessionable beer. Good idea to use a seasonal, local ingredient.

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pours a beautiful copper-orange with a thin white head and minimal lacing, the color of pumpkins with whipped cream.

S: Faint sweet malts.. toffee, some caramel, slightly metallic notes, and a general saccharine burnt sugar type aroma.

T: Slightly biscuity with a faint nuttiness and notes of toasted rice. Ends with a slight hop bitterness.

M: Slight carbonation and a somewhat thin and watery body.

D: A great ale to relax to and enjoy. There's nothing too offensive or challenging about this flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +18.6%

Got this one a whim just because it sounded like a great easy drinking Fall beer.
Pours a pretty light amber color. Definitely not what I expected. It's not really bad, but it's a little odd.
The flavors, on the other hand, are all brown ale. Nutty, toasty flavors that start sweet and have a kiss of hop bitterness in the finish. As it warms you can really pick up the smell and flavor of toasted pecans. What's really nice is that it doesn't taste artificial or needlessly added. You can pick it up blindly, and it really adds a lot to the flavor.
Mouthfeel is a little slick and light, but it makes this all the more drinkable as a result.
This is a great alternative to the various Fall beers most brewers are doing.
Glad I gave this a try, and I'll be sure to grab more.

3.18/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought as part of a mixed 6 pack.

It pours a very bright and clear gold colour with a 2 finger head of foam. It looks like head retention will be good and it has some lacing.

I'm taking some deep whiffs to see if I can smell some pecans, which is the big deal with this beer, and yes...I...can. I can also smell lots of toast. Not a bad smeller.

The taste is all toasty and biscuity. So much so, I think, that it's harder to pull out the pecans than I think I did in the smell. Could be wrong. The more I sip though, the flavours all seem to be dropping in intensity and now, about 3/4 of the way through, I'm not getting all that much flavour out of it. The body is pretty light too and the finish ends up on the watery side.
A pretty good beginning leads to some disappoinment at the end. Oh well. This is pretty decent enough as it is.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

So here's my story with this beer. When my wife brought this home, my first reaction was "you've got to be fucking kidding me."

Pecan beer. Pecan. Under what circumstances has anyone in the history of humanity thought, "you know, what I'd really like right now is a beer that tastes sort of like a 79-cent truck stop pastry"? I was considering tossing it, quite frankly. But then I ran out of beer, so I figured, meh, what the hell.

Once I drank it, I got it. What I like most about this beer is its subtlety. As the label explains, they've used real, locally sourced nuts for the beer, and you can tell. Rather than a cloying, overpowering flavored syrup flavor, you get a mild, but complete pecan flavor. You can taste the bitter skins, the meat, the oil; it tastes, well, real.

But it is mild, as is the entire beer. It's light (about 5 percent abv), mildly hopped, and has a pleasant toffee, nutty brown ale flavor, with a slightly flinty, almost ESB finish. The only problem I have is the body, which is thin, but also very sharply carbonated, which pretty much harshs the mellow, so to speak.

The question, though, is when would you EVER want to drink this? The label suggests red meat or seafood, both of which sound absolutely awful to me. No, as someone else suggested, I think the natural pairing for this is Thanksgiving. Counters the turkey, matches the dessert, and the ridiculous carbonation is just the thing for cutting through the fat-heavy gravy and bulk.

So not an everyday beer, for sure, but a nice beer and one that I think, in that one instance, will shine.

4.03/5  rDev +21%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, orange label. ABV is marked, but I couldn't find a date on it.

Appearance: Pours orangish brown with an average sized head, not much retention but a bit of lacing. Slight haze.

Smell: Lots of nut in the aroma, pecan with a bit of sweetness. A bit of bready aroma too.

Taste: Interesting, the sweetness doesn't transfer through - actually finishes very dry. A bit of nut flavor here too, but it is less than in the aroma. I was worried this was going to be cloying, but its actually a pretty drinkable beer.

Overall impression: Better than I expected, this was drinkable with some interesting flavors.

3.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured into my pint glass a dark amber/orange with a big bubbly off-white head on top. Pretty good retention, and it leaves some nice sticky webbing as it's sipped. Smells pretty bland and tame. Nothing really coming out of this. Some mild hops and some fresh breads.

The mouth is silky smooth and creamy. It could stand a bit more of a carbonation kick, but it's decent. This is a very buttery beer. Tastes of buttered bread, and some mild pecan flavor. I was expecting this to be a bit more nutty. Finishes bready and a little drying. This wasn't really what I expected, but it was decent nonetheless.

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%

A- orangey amber with a half-inch, frothy off white head.

S- Quite nutty up front with faint biscuit and sweet malt.

T- Malty, nutty flavor drowns out anything else that could be noticeable. It's like a less complex nut brown ale.

M&D- Smooth, light medium body that I could see a lot of Abita fans really digging and drinking quite a bit of. For me, one or two and i'm done.

3.9/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Pours a hearty, clear copper color with a white head that has a very slight orange tint that dissipates down to a persistent ring.

S: Cinnamon is the first thing that hits me. There is a sweetness in there. The problem is that I didn't let it warm up enough. There we go... Now the nutmeg and allspice and, of course, pumpkin come out a little more.

T: When at the proper temperature it tastes wonderful. Don't drink this too cool or you'll miss a lot. The flavors follow the nose closely and dance across the palate without stomping it into the ground. The sweetness that was noted above almost seems like brown sugar now.

M: Well carbonated. It has a little of a bite but not from the alcohol content which is higher than expected. I think it is the cinnamon that is leaving a slight dryness but it's different than a hoppy dry.

D: I would say this one is a keeper. The higher than expected alcohol content encourages me to enjoy one per session. But this is one that I will keep in my rotation of fall seasonal beers. If you get a chance to try it, go for it. It's worth it.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The color is a dark copper, almost but not quite red. The head retains pretty well and leaves a little thin lacing ina couple of light patches.
The aroma is of malts, but pretty mild. No complexity and not much substance. Pecan is nonexistent to my nose.
Malt makes a stronger appearance in the flavor, with some hops in the back but well subdued. Pecan is almost an afterthought and doesn't show up at all except for a nutty addition in the finish. There's a tangy zest in here that doesn't scream pecan ale and lingers in a funky aftertaste.
The body is on the light side of medium and carbonation is mild. There's a light crispness in the body and that's about it.
If I drank this without knowing it, I don't think I would figure out it's supposed to be a pecan ale. The funky zest and aftertaste mar this one a bit as well. There's a sturdy malt back, but I'd never get this one as a specialty ale.

3.13/5  rDev -6%

A clear amber color pour with a two finger white head, medium carbonation , a good amount of jagged lacing left . Aroma of light sweet malts, yeast , brown sugar and a faint note of nuts . Flavor is quite subtle, nutty as promised , some light hops , and more brown sugar , no single flavor stands out , quite balanced but not as malty as I had hoped . Thin body , slightly oily mouthfeel , with an almost dry finish leaving a light hint of roasted pecans. Drinkable but not sessionable for me , a good brew but nothing special.

Pours a hazy reddish orange, with a medium tan head. Not very brown in color at all. Smell is of pecans that went bad. Taste is a bit better, tart malts up front, thin middle, with a hint of pecan in the finish. Also an unusual bitterness that does not seem to be coming from hops. Finish is also very dry. Mouthfeel is average, average carbonation levels as well. Drinkability is not the best, this beer is ok, but the pecans give it a wierd taste that I don't like too much. I do not like eating pecans as it is, so that might be part of it. If you are a pecan lover you might like this beer, otherwise its just ok.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Light, clear orangy brown. Decent head and lacing.

S- Caramel, nuts, malt, Maple syrup. Earthy notes.

T- Roasted nuts and malt, sweet maple syrup notes. Light bitterness.

M- Medium body, smooth. Perfect carbonation.

D-Very drinabkle. Love the sweet nutty flavor. Could be contructed a bit better.

3.83/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a stubby 12 ounce bottle into my nonic Imperial pint glass. The ale appears a clear medium chestnut color with about a finger of light ecru foam. Nose and flavor are dominated by none other than nuts. Pecans to be more accurate. Notes of toasted bread and caramel are also present as well as a touch of earthy bitter hops. About medium bodied and amply carbonated for the style. A simple, but tasty nutty brown ale.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting. You can really taste the pecan. Hell, you can even smell it! But does it fit in with the beer? I'm not sure, but I kind of like it. It's weird, but good. It replicates a caramel-coated pecan. It doesn't really interfere with the beer. It's just an odd-twist. But is an odd-twist enough? I'm thinking to myself right now, out at the bar, would I have one of these? Maybe. And if I did, would I have two? Probably not. But I'd definitely have one at home. Two in a row? Probably not. On the other hand, and I've said this about many beers before, I think this is an excellent beer to have with Thanksgiving dinner, or something else along those lines. And, although it's not particularly rich or sweet (it's actually really well balanced with just the pecan nuttiness added into the mix), I think this would make a great beer to relax with on a spring, summer, or fall evening on the back porch as the sun goes down and the stars come out. Interesting. Charming. Worth trying.

3.35/5  rDev +0.6%

Abita Pecan Harvest pours a crystal clear copper color with a big, off-white head. The nose is sweet and nutty with maple syrup notes. Very malty.

The flavor is also malty and sweet, though kind of watery. Toasted bread notes also come through. No hops to speak of. Mouthfeel is thin with medium/low carbonation.

Overal a decent drinker, though a bit on the sweet side. Nothing impressive.

2.63/5  rDev -21%

Abita Pecan Ale...

Appearance- dark brown with a touch of red, crisp head, active carbonation, fine looking ale.

Smell-nutty, malty, aromatic.

Taste/Mouthfeel-strong but muddled and a nutty flavor that I really don't enjoy that much, tastes alright going down, nothing wrong and off just not to my liking.

Drinkability-nothing wrong with this beer, if you like it you should be able to quaff.

Overall-a quality beer that had a flavor that just wasn't to my liking, sometimes it is that simple.

3.95/5  rDev +18.6%

Dark,pumpkin orange with a solid finger of creamy light tan head that leaaves decent lace on the glass. Smells of roasted pecan nuttiness and biscuit malt. Tastes nutty and unique with a good roasted malt backbone and lots of pecan. Smooth and slightly pecan oily on the palate with smooth carbonation. A real suprise that tastes better that I thought it would, also not really close to a traditional brown ale.

3.8/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a light copper with a standard 1/2 inch head that quickly settles to a fine ring fed by a good amount of carbonation. Smells of an oily nutty maltiness with a hint of roasted malts. Light to medium mouthfeel with a slight amount of oil that slides around the tongue. Carbonation picks up a bit once inside. Bittering hops balancing things out well. Finishes with an afterthought of nuttiness. Quite a solid little beer, seems to be somewhat sessionable. Worth checking out if its available.

3.33/5  rDev 0%

(A) Copper colored. Pours with a nice head then settles to the outside of the glass. Clear and transparent.
(S) Slight Pecan aroma - not too overpowering. Beyond that not much to smell.
(T) Very mellow Pecan taste after a crisp sweetness. Then fades into an earthy aftertaste.
(M) Crisp, medium bodied. Has some tannin feel in the aftertaste.
(D) A decent beer, but the hope for Pecan taste left me wanting.

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a deep copper color with a 1-finger off-white head that quickly disappears. Color is lighter than most browns I've had. Minimal lacing.

Smell is faintly nutty with some roasted malt notes. The taste is again, nutty with roasted malts, caramel & an odd metallic taste. Mouthfeel is carbonated, not as smooth as I would have expected.

This is just a so-so brown ale from Abita; drinkability is just average.

Pecan Harvest Ale from Abita Brewing Co.