Pecan Harvest Ale - Abita Brewing Co.

Pecan Harvest AlePecan Harvest Ale

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: acrawf6 on 02-05-2007

Pecan Harvest Ale is made with real Louisiana pecans that have been toasted to perfection. That makes it something really special, because most beers with a nutty flavor or aroma aren’t made with real nuts. The natural oils from the Louisiana pecans give the ale a light pecan finish and aroma.

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%

I was intrigued by a beer that's "brewed with Louisiana pecans." If this was a marketing idea I guess it worked.

The color is pretty light for a brown ale, and although I'm not too wrapped up in style guidelines, there's not really anything else going on in the looks department with this one. The pecan presence is faint in the smell and a little stronger in the taste but really starts to come through in the aftertaste. Fairly sweet overall with a tangy finish.

This is pretty darn drinkable and would make a decent session beer. Fits the season nicely and surely a good addition to any Thanksgiving day table.

3.63/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle at NOLA in Palo Alto, poured into a clear plastic cup, which is all they had (think they expected me to drink from the bottle, which if I did, I might have had to commit ritual suicide afterwards since I would have disgraced myself and my entire family by doing so). I'd call this more of an amber ale than a brown ale if anything. Pours a mostly clear amber color with a creamy one-finger white head. Aroma is caramel malt, pecan' and spice. Flavor is somewhat mild but pleasant with caramel malt, pecans, bread, and some earthy hop bitterness. Medium-light body with a fairly smooth palate and soft carbonation. Drinkability is high. Not too exciting, but pretty good overall.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a very clear brown color. Head formation, strong, up to 4mm, light white in color. Very bubbling, carbonated. Clear.

S - Caramel and toffee malt notes. A nutty note, but I think it comes from the malt. If there are pecans here, they are well hidden.

T - Starts off with a fairly empty light malt flavor. Mid-stream shows some bitterness tied to light american hops, but then gets overtaken by some yeast breadiness and spice. Finishes with some nutty notes, which I guess could be pecan like.

M - A fairly thin bodied beer, but then a bubbly but still empty carbonation bite is really stinging.

D - Easy drinking abv. Somewhat filling, driven by the hefty carbonation. Flavors are light, not overwhelming. Overall, I don't find this beer to be a great session beer.

3.16/5  rDev -5.1%

pours cloudy amber with a frothy white head that lasts and laces... aroma is something I can't quite put my finger on... smells nutty, but also some sort of funky smell underneath... mouthfeel is a letdown, very thin, was expecting something richer from what I guess woudl really be a nut brown... flavor is dry, but there is an unsweetened candied pecan flavor to it... not bad, but not sure that it was great either... Interesting, but I'm not sure that it all works together as well as I had expected.

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Pecan Ale
Abita Brewing Co. / Abita Brew Pub
Style: American Brown Ale
ABV: 5.00 %
12oz bottle>snifter glass

I decided to try this offering from Abita to kick in the fall and educate my homebrewing palate on the Creole brewng scene. I recently have been enjoying a pretty succesful batch of Nut Brown, so I wanted to try this Pecan offering to see what I could learn....

4/4/3.5/3/4

Appearance is a clear copper color with a solid/fluffy 2 finger head, mediocre head retention - more than I expected.
Smell includes aromas of dark fruits with some nutty-ness sneaking in, along with hints of molasses/toffee. Possibly some pecan aromas - but not distinct as pecans, just more nutty in general.
Tastes as it smells, but with a watered down version of the aromas. Aromas are exciting but the taste is a diluted version of the smells. I do taste a hint of distinct pecan at the finish -unlike in the smell.
Mouthfeel is a thin body with high carbonation.
I enjoyed this beer overall. The aroma sets a nice stage for the appropriatte yet light version of expected tastes. The thin body makes this brew a bit more sessionable than some of the more bold nut/brown ales around.

This is not one Abita's best brews, but it is well balanced and sessionable as a seasonal offering for something different. The tastes & flavors seem fresh and authentic.

2.78/5  rDev -16.5%

Light and softly pecan-flavored ale.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Abita simple seasonal label with a small back description noting the authenticity of the ingredients used, Louisiana uniqueness, and how it provides a great flavor. Does not show freshness date or bottling date, neither shows IBUs or °Plato, only Alc. by Vol. (5%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Medium to deep amber color with an off-white head showing little retention. Little lacing as it goes down and a minimal foamy memory on the surface.

S - Very light to the point of almost being non-existent. There is a faint whiff of pecans over a malty note, and as one progresses an off-tone also seems to be here. It is not skunked but there is a distant cheap larger funk to it.

T - Light malty base with a bit of caramel sweetness and a small pecan tone to it.

M - Medium to high carbonation on a light body.

D - Hmmm, I´m not at all enticed to have another one. Under shortage circumstances I´d have it against any macro but there isn´t much inviting about this brew.

Notes: Unfortunately it is quite forgettable. Abita maybe does not feel like a top-notch brewery for most, but they sure can do better than this. However, this one is not a brew that does them any favors...

2.65/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured into proper glassware (a pint glass from The Bulldog, NOLA). Clear orange with a 2 finger white head. Skim retention leaves a few lacey splashes.

Smells like pecans...faintly. Taste is watery with a ho hum tea-like pecan finish. Soapy with thin fizz carbonation.

Go Lazy Magnolia Pecan.

3.48/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a transparent orange/yellow with lots of streaming carbonation. A light yellow head rises 2.5" and looks like pillowing bread dough. It shows great retention and leaves spotty lace behind.

Smell: Nutty pecan aroma is easily noticeable. Caramel malt shows off some toffee aromas, too. Small citrus hop aroma.

Taste: Nutty base flavor mingles with biscuits, grainy barley and some alcohol. A slight earthy bitterness balances the beer. Not too complex.

Mouthfeel: Nutty, malty, oily, smooth, with a little bit of carbonation. A touch of carbonation mixes with some dryness in the finish. Medium body.

Drinkability: The pecan flavor is obvious but not cloying. The overall beer is not too impressive, but isn't off-putting in any way. It could be one of the best Abita beers I've had.

3.33/5  rDev 0%

Meh.

A) An agressive pour yielded a mediocre head that quickly fizzled out on top of an orange-brown clear liquid with a small amount of visible carbonation

S) Faintly sweet, caramel, nuts

T) A fairly balanced ale of hops and malts with a small amount of nutty flavor from the southern pecans

MF) A little thin

D) Pretty good. 5% ABV, a fairly average brown ale with a little bit of a twist with real Louisiana pecans. I actually would have liked a little more pecan flavor. Nothing I'll be rushing back for.

2.83/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hmm... Not really what I was hoping for after a lovely Brooklyn Local 2 from the brewery, but its not bad at all. Nutty and oily, as promised, but also possesses a wonderful toastiness that really makes the brew. The problem with this beer is it has no backbone, no malty structure to expand upon. Its a half-assed pale ale brewed with toasted pecans, which do instill a very nice flavor, but it is frankly not worth opening more than one.

Other than that, the beer pours a clearish cloudy orange with a thick, retentive head and some sweet, light brown sugar, light hops, and an oily sesame taste. Balance is a bit off, with the backbone and nut flavors battling it out for supremacy. Decent drinkability, but nothing special.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

A pretty average beer from Abita.

Amber in color, and smells of an amber beer.

Tastes like a nut brown/amber mixture, but the only thing I can taste from the pecans is the slight bitterness I would expect from the actual nut.

Not a bad beer, but not quite what I expected.

4.32/5  rDev +29.7%

Bottle, sampled 13 Oct 09

A: It looks like an American IPA in my glass: brown ale? Hardly. But, I'm not rating on style. It looks pretty. Orange, glimmery, hazy.

S: This smells wonderful: rich, malty, and hoppy. Strong notes of artisan toast, stuffing, and pralines.

T: This is quite nice. Not too rich at all; not overtly nutty, just pleasantly so. This would make a great autumn session beer: I could have a few of these and not tire of it (I think). Wonderful nutty note, as anticipated, and it doesn't crowd out the other aspects that are going on.

M: Smooth all the way. Slightly watery finish, but it's easy-going.

D: Abita makes a great product, and this one is no exception. Try with good cheeses, Roux soups, game, duck, or Thanksgiving dinner!

3.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another slightly better than mediocre offering by Abita. The beer pours a fairly clear amber color with not much of a head to speak of. The carbonation is on the low side, but it isn't a flat beer. The nose is crystal malts, and I can't really distinguish the pecans. There might be some undefined nutty flavors, but not much.

The taste is a bit overly processed. There is a nutty taste to the beer, it is slightly watery. There are some odd notes on the backend. In the mid section the beer is a bit too clean, some dryish notes, with some mediocre tasting ale highlights. I guess I'm tasting some pecan, but it really isn't defined that well. This beer I can do without another. The mouthfeel is adequate, not much aftertaste, a bit watery, not a keeper.

1.92/5  rDev -42.3%

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 finger head, amber color.

S: Smells of pecan and some caramel. Decent smell with slight spice as well.

T: Bitter - heavy unnatural pecan palate. This gbeer had potential but didn't deliver.

M/D: Decent mouthfeel, not bad or good.

Simple, pleasant but not extraordinary beer.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

12oz. brown bottle served in a shaker pint. Poured a slightly hazy reddish gold with a thin whitehead. Nice aroma, this is where you get the most pecan character. Light to medium bodied. Plenty of caramel malt. Slight hop bitterness in the finish. Very easy drinking and sessionable beer. Good idea to use a seasonal, local ingredient.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Pours a beautiful copper-orange with a thin white head and minimal lacing, the color of pumpkins with whipped cream.

S: Faint sweet malts.. toffee, some caramel, slightly metallic notes, and a general saccharine burnt sugar type aroma.

T: Slightly biscuity with a faint nuttiness and notes of toasted rice. Ends with a slight hop bitterness.

M: Slight carbonation and a somewhat thin and watery body.

D: A great ale to relax to and enjoy. There's nothing too offensive or challenging about this flavor.

3.94/5  rDev +18.3%

Got this one a whim just because it sounded like a great easy drinking Fall beer.
Pours a pretty light amber color. Definitely not what I expected. It's not really bad, but it's a little odd.
The flavors, on the other hand, are all brown ale. Nutty, toasty flavors that start sweet and have a kiss of hop bitterness in the finish. As it warms you can really pick up the smell and flavor of toasted pecans. What's really nice is that it doesn't taste artificial or needlessly added. You can pick it up blindly, and it really adds a lot to the flavor.
Mouthfeel is a little slick and light, but it makes this all the more drinkable as a result.
This is a great alternative to the various Fall beers most brewers are doing.
Glad I gave this a try, and I'll be sure to grab more.

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought as part of a mixed 6 pack.

It pours a very bright and clear gold colour with a 2 finger head of foam. It looks like head retention will be good and it has some lacing.

I'm taking some deep whiffs to see if I can smell some pecans, which is the big deal with this beer, and yes...I...can. I can also smell lots of toast. Not a bad smeller.

The taste is all toasty and biscuity. So much so, I think, that it's harder to pull out the pecans than I think I did in the smell. Could be wrong. The more I sip though, the flavours all seem to be dropping in intensity and now, about 3/4 of the way through, I'm not getting all that much flavour out of it. The body is pretty light too and the finish ends up on the watery side.
A pretty good beginning leads to some disappoinment at the end. Oh well. This is pretty decent enough as it is.

3.47/5  rDev +4.2%

So here's my story with this beer. When my wife brought this home, my first reaction was "you've got to be fucking kidding me."

Pecan beer. Pecan. Under what circumstances has anyone in the history of humanity thought, "you know, what I'd really like right now is a beer that tastes sort of like a 79-cent truck stop pastry"? I was considering tossing it, quite frankly. But then I ran out of beer, so I figured, meh, what the hell.

Once I drank it, I got it. What I like most about this beer is its subtlety. As the label explains, they've used real, locally sourced nuts for the beer, and you can tell. Rather than a cloying, overpowering flavored syrup flavor, you get a mild, but complete pecan flavor. You can taste the bitter skins, the meat, the oil; it tastes, well, real.

But it is mild, as is the entire beer. It's light (about 5 percent abv), mildly hopped, and has a pleasant toffee, nutty brown ale flavor, with a slightly flinty, almost ESB finish. The only problem I have is the body, which is thin, but also very sharply carbonated, which pretty much harshs the mellow, so to speak.

The question, though, is when would you EVER want to drink this? The label suggests red meat or seafood, both of which sound absolutely awful to me. No, as someone else suggested, I think the natural pairing for this is Thanksgiving. Counters the turkey, matches the dessert, and the ridiculous carbonation is just the thing for cutting through the fat-heavy gravy and bulk.

So not an everyday beer, for sure, but a nice beer and one that I think, in that one instance, will shine.

4.02/5  rDev +20.7%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, orange label. ABV is marked, but I couldn't find a date on it.

Appearance: Pours orangish brown with an average sized head, not much retention but a bit of lacing. Slight haze.

Smell: Lots of nut in the aroma, pecan with a bit of sweetness. A bit of bready aroma too.

Taste: Interesting, the sweetness doesn't transfer through - actually finishes very dry. A bit of nut flavor here too, but it is less than in the aroma. I was worried this was going to be cloying, but its actually a pretty drinkable beer.

Overall impression: Better than I expected, this was drinkable with some interesting flavors.

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my pint glass a dark amber/orange with a big bubbly off-white head on top. Pretty good retention, and it leaves some nice sticky webbing as it's sipped. Smells pretty bland and tame. Nothing really coming out of this. Some mild hops and some fresh breads.

The mouth is silky smooth and creamy. It could stand a bit more of a carbonation kick, but it's decent. This is a very buttery beer. Tastes of buttered bread, and some mild pecan flavor. I was expecting this to be a bit more nutty. Finishes bready and a little drying. This wasn't really what I expected, but it was decent nonetheless.

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%

A- orangey amber with a half-inch, frothy off white head.

S- Quite nutty up front with faint biscuit and sweet malt.

T- Malty, nutty flavor drowns out anything else that could be noticeable. It's like a less complex nut brown ale.

M&D- Smooth, light medium body that I could see a lot of Abita fans really digging and drinking quite a bit of. For me, one or two and i'm done.

3.88/5  rDev +16.5%

A: Pours a hearty, clear copper color with a white head that has a very slight orange tint that dissipates down to a persistent ring.

S: Cinnamon is the first thing that hits me. There is a sweetness in there. The problem is that I didn't let it warm up enough. There we go... Now the nutmeg and allspice and, of course, pumpkin come out a little more.

T: When at the proper temperature it tastes wonderful. Don't drink this too cool or you'll miss a lot. The flavors follow the nose closely and dance across the palate without stomping it into the ground. The sweetness that was noted above almost seems like brown sugar now.

M: Well carbonated. It has a little of a bite but not from the alcohol content which is higher than expected. I think it is the cinnamon that is leaving a slight dryness but it's different than a hoppy dry.

D: I would say this one is a keeper. The higher than expected alcohol content encourages me to enjoy one per session. But this is one that I will keep in my rotation of fall seasonal beers. If you get a chance to try it, go for it. It's worth it.

2.76/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The color is a dark copper, almost but not quite red. The head retains pretty well and leaves a little thin lacing ina couple of light patches.
The aroma is of malts, but pretty mild. No complexity and not much substance. Pecan is nonexistent to my nose.
Malt makes a stronger appearance in the flavor, with some hops in the back but well subdued. Pecan is almost an afterthought and doesn't show up at all except for a nutty addition in the finish. There's a tangy zest in here that doesn't scream pecan ale and lingers in a funky aftertaste.
The body is on the light side of medium and carbonation is mild. There's a light crispness in the body and that's about it.
If I drank this without knowing it, I don't think I would figure out it's supposed to be a pecan ale. The funky zest and aftertaste mar this one a bit as well. There's a sturdy malt back, but I'd never get this one as a specialty ale.

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%

A clear amber color pour with a two finger white head, medium carbonation , a good amount of jagged lacing left . Aroma of light sweet malts, yeast , brown sugar and a faint note of nuts . Flavor is quite subtle, nutty as promised , some light hops , and more brown sugar , no single flavor stands out , quite balanced but not as malty as I had hoped . Thin body , slightly oily mouthfeel , with an almost dry finish leaving a light hint of roasted pecans. Drinkable but not sessionable for me , a good brew but nothing special.

Pecan Harvest Ale from Abita Brewing Co.