1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jockamo IPA - Abita Brewing Co.

Jockamo IPAJockamo IPA

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Jockamo I.P.A. is a traditional India Pale Ale made with the best pale and light crystal malts that give the beer a copper color and malty flavor. This full-flavored beer is hopped and dry hopped liberally with Willamette and Columbus hops from the Pacific Northwest and has a 6.5% A.B.V. The spicy aroma of the hops contrasts nicely with the pleasant sweetness of the malts. Jockamo has a flavor that entices and excites the palate.

(Beer added by: Beerbuddha on 10-30-2007)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,272 | Reviews: 534 | Show All Ratings:
KingEdward

1.15/5  rDev -65.7%

This might be the worst beer i have ever tasted. the smell is of rotting onions. the taste is the same. I tried another to make sure it had not gone bad, but it just taste bad. I have tried lots of ipa's and would recommend never buying this beer. i think the other abita beers are for the most part pretty good. I just don't understand why they keep selling this. Every ipa i have ever tasted is better. Skip this and get a bell's two hearted or a terrapin hopsecutioner you will be much happier. i don't understand some of the good reviews it has gotten.

02-17-2012 23:24:06 | More by KingEdward
Mic-Lee

1.78/5  rDev -46.9%

Deep amber color. Smells sweet and malty. Heavy roasted grain malt flavors dominate. Sweet, fruity hops. A little syrupy and virtually no bitterness. Light carbonation, medium body. Boozy.

Overall: No thanks. This is overly malty, sweet and boozy. There were a few sips where the flavor of grains dominated and that was somewhat pleasant, but really the sweetness and the booziness made finishing this one a chore.

11-20-2012 00:26:53 | More by Mic-Lee
mklinger

1.9/5  rDev -43.3%

Picked this up in the Quarter in NOLA on a recent visit.

It looks OK for an IPA, but for me that's where the IPA character ended.

No real traditional hop aroma. Bit of fruitiness but more like yeast fruitiness than hop fruit character. Very disappointing. Taste was equally or more poor. Not much bitterness at all. Nothing like what you'd expect for an IPA. Bit of malt character with some breadiness, not much crystal sweetness. But probably the worst IPA I've had in years.

I found this beer to be overcarbonated like all the Abita beers I've had. Mouthfeel was also a bit thin like other Abita beers I've had. Overall, a disappointing beer.

03-19-2010 20:42:15 | More by mklinger
Bill_Murray

Louisiana

1.94/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

There is so much talk and praise for IPAs, I really wish I could like them. This is my second attempt at an IPA, and it went very much like the first. I don't often write reviews because I do not a have acutely tuned palate and find it unlikely I will say something not already said, but I do rate based on whether or not I liked something, mainly for my own records. With that said, I felt I owed a review because it is a solid beer, and a lowball score owes an explanation.

I poured this experiment from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Poured a nice orange-ish, reddish color, with ample collar of foam that eventually settled to about a nickels width that remained for the entire glass. A little lacing, but not as much as the first IPA I tried.

Smell: Strong smell, smelled of pine and citrus, possibly pineapple. Very complex, a lot going on, but the pine and citrus stood out most. I was hoping the pine wouldn't be as prevalent in the taste, but...

Taste: Pine right up front, which would be good for some, but terrible for me. Has an after taste similar to the after taste of grapefruit, which was NOT to my liking.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, not too heavy.

Overall: Not for me.

07-17-2013 22:50:14 | More by Bill_Murray
imagese

1.95/5  rDev -41.8%

Picked up a single bottle at Sidney's Wine Cellar in the French Quarter. I have to assume it's fresh. No dates on bottle

A- a golden amber. I knew from the pour I wasn't going to dig this beer.

S- a crisp sweet malt nose. No hops at all

T- sweet soapy mess. If someone told me this was a kölsch, then yeah, it would kind of make sense

M- water with a little carbonation

D- I really had to force myself to finish this one. The Saints game was on, and I didn't want to get up to grab something else.

If you want something near an IPA, or even an APA for that matter, do not grab this. Even in Louisiana, there's enough options to not drink this beer. Outside LA, there's really no reason to buy this if you want an IPA

12-28-2010 04:08:27 | More by imagese
LikaThaHops

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A- Poured a deep copper reddish color into my pint glass with a thick 2 finger head that sticks around for a good long while.

S- No hops presence in this pour, light on the smell in general. a light flowery smell is about all.

T- Not too much flavor, light on the hops, but drinkable. Definitely not what is expected for an IPA with that sort of alcohol content.

M- Kinda like a BMC, light, crisp, no hops presence.

D- Could drink this all night, but i wouldn't want too. Good try though fellers!

10-10-2010 07:35:35 | More by LikaThaHops
cokes

Wisconsin

2.05/5  rDev -38.8%

Dark tan-orange bodied with a thin head of beige.
Caramel malt nose with fig and dark cherry notes, and almost no say from the hops aside from a background rusty metallic bitterness. This is an IPA? Really?
Taste follows suit. A lightly toasted caramel malt dominates. Specks of dark fruit arise, mostly figs here. The midsection is largely vacant and hollow. Powdery, acrid, metallic hops clang around near the finish.
Light bodied, while the malt seems to stand out, it leaves hardly a print, texturally, in the mouth. Lots of scraping carbonation.
Call this an amber ale, and while still boring and subpar, it is at least somewhat to style. An IPA? That's a Joke-amo.

10-31-2008 07:03:52 | More by cokes
NStLincoln

Nebraska

2.05/5  rDev -38.8%

The nose on the Abita IPA displayed alot more fruit character than I expect from your typical IPA. It wasn't off-putting, but not the norm. The taste wasn't anything to write home about, but I guess I'm reviewing it. I didn't mind it at first, but the finish was more sour, almost like a hefeweizen. All in all, I generally love pales and IPAs especially, Abita's was one that I didn't care for at all. It was off, from beginning (lemony smell) to end (super odd sour finish). Sorry Emeril, this IPA pretty much sucked.

03-17-2010 17:38:43 | More by NStLincoln
jucifer1818

2.15/5  rDev -35.8%

Had this beer at Tallahassee brew-fest

Appearance: Avrage, I cant say I remember anything decent about it
smell: meh
Taste: not good
mouthfeel: also very average

overall: When I drink Abita, I have fairly low expectations, and I feel as if this beer did not meet any of them. Its been a day since I drank it and I cant even really remember anything decent about it

their are much better IPA's at better prices than this, I suggest you get them instead.

11-04-2012 19:59:16 | More by jucifer1818
Momar42

Maryland

2.18/5  rDev -34.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Delirium Tulip (beer certainly didnt warrant such a nice glass btw). But I digress, read on:

A - minimal head from a vigorous pour. No lacing or collaring evident. Clear light orange color.

S - very light on the nose. hints of orange, faint other citrus notes. almost no perceptible hopiness.

T - same underwhelming taste as the nose. citrus is even fainter here with almost no linger. finishes clean only because it didnt have anything in the front. There is a maltiness and mild sweetness that while not cloying is unwelcome with the absence of other moderating flavors.

M - Finishes clean, but there is some uneeded sweetness that clings.

O - Maybe the bottle is old, but I didnt detect any hints of a "bad" bottle. For those looking for a quality IPA, look elsewhere. Brings nothing to the game anyone looking for an IPA would be expecting. A poor representation of the style and one that I MIGHT try if on tap fresh...if it were bought for me.

05-23-2012 03:30:02 | More by Momar42
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.2/5  rDev -34.3%

12 ounce bottle/Duvel tulip. Pours a slightly hazy amberish honey shade with a generous cap of frothy off-white head. Scattered specks and small patches of lace.

Not a lot of excitement in the nose- mild herbal and mineral hop notes, bready malt, and that's about it. Tastes very tame as well. The dominant flavor is caramel, with some herbal bitterness kicking in toward the finish. A touch of metallic aftertaste. Little in the way of hop flavor. Just not a lot to stimulate the senses here.

10-23-2010 20:32:40 | More by PDXHops
MichaelinFishers

2.2/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bell's tulip.

Nice color and head. Reddish copper with just enough head to top off the glass. Already getting the aroma though and not really pleased. It's an odd mix of hops and butter. Gotta be diacetyl.

Taste is deep bitter and butterscotch. I would chalk this up as a bad bottle or batch except that others have noted the buttery taste, too. I can only imagine that they're going for this. Either that or we all got the same batch.

I really don't think I'm going to finish this. I'm glad I just got one as part of a mix-a-six. And before you criticize the mix, yes, I checked dates. It was not the freshest, but it was decent, maybe a couple of months old.

11-30-2011 04:12:21 | More by MichaelinFishers
PabstBlueRobot

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A - Very pretty caramel colory. It reminds me of those old aviators with the brownish tinted lenses everyone wore back in the day.
S - Smells like flowers...really pollen filled flowers on a summer day. A lot like my favorite tea.
T - It's pretty sharply bitter...and it tastes like you're now chewing on that smelly flower. Maybe you tried to clean it off first because it has a distinctly soapy taste.
M - Somewhere between water and syrup. It's not much different from most beers.
O - I could see enjoying this, but only outdoors. There's no way I could drink flowers and soap in the house. The bitterness really kills it for me. Not my go-to by any means.

04-20-2013 23:21:45 | More by PabstBlueRobot
SirSketch

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

The aroma was of heavy malt and wet wood/cardboard. I got almost no hop presence in the smell whatsoever, save for a hint of grapefruit.

There isn't much to say about the taste, either. Moderate bitterness, but really no other hop characteristics/flavor. Is this an IPA? I mean an IPA doesn't have to be a hop bomb to be good, but there should be something. The flavors that the malts impart on this beer are nothing special, either. I got more of the wet cardboard taste that I did in the smell. This beer could really use some work...

03-05-2009 04:11:49 | More by SirSketch
DogFood11

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Appetizing appearance. Light copper body with some orange hue towards the outside of the glass. Moderate carbonation and a white thin layer of head stays throughout.

This is on the balanced side for an IPA and ends up inbetween styles. Kind of like an amber mixed with an IPA. It dumbs down the hop presence. They also run into a solid toasted malt bill crushing it even further.

Not a whole lot going on here. The price was less than all the other IPA's in the store. I think they priced it just right. Pass.

07-08-2010 04:43:05 | More by DogFood11
xnicknj

2.28/5  rDev -31.9%

on tap at catahoula in philly - served in pint glass

Pours a clouded burnt orange color with a one-finger white head. Fades into a thin coating of film with some spotty lacing on the glass.

Faint citric hops in the nose with a sweet malty backbone. A little caramel and toasted biscuit.

Light juiciness up front with an almost difficult to find hop bitterness. Bready caramel malt backbone. Finishes a little dry with some citrus.

Medium body, decent carbonation, crisp and bubbly on the tongue. I ordered this since it was on special - I should have paid the extra dollar for a can of Dale's. This really misses out on nearly everything I look for in an IPA.

12-08-2012 15:06:20 | More by xnicknj
emsroth

2.3/5  rDev -31.3%

12oz bottle

App: A big 2 finger head. Clear orange amber

Smell: Fruity hops with a bit of spice. reminds me of children's cherry flavored medicine.

Taste: Low malt profile. A quick jump to the hop bitterness. The hops start with a delicate fruity flavor, almost like pear or light apple. Then they go to a rough, unpleasant bitterness.

A buttery mouthfeel which is unique and nice. Medium body and medium carbonation.

There must be a certain type of hops I don't like. Some bitterness is great and other bitterness is complete unpalatable. This is the latter.

Note: When paired with spicy thai the taste is tamed and the sweetness predominates, but this does not change my rating.

06-19-2009 21:19:58 | More by emsroth
Reagan1984

2.33/5  rDev -30.4%

You could tell this was an offering from Abita.

Despite this being an IPA in style it was overly sweet and malty. No balance whatsoever.

Amber in color, (Color seemed a bit dark for an IPA, but I can assure you, that's not the major issue here)
This beer was also Amber/sweet in flavor.

If your an IPA fan keep moving and do not stop at this exit.

06-09-2008 12:34:57 | More by Reagan1984
alleykatking

2.4/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden orange brownish color. Half finger white head comes and goes quickly. Very light streaky lacing left on the glass.

S- Sweet caramel malts come and hit me in the face with this beer at first. I hope it's more hop forward in the tasting than in the aroma. A light orange citrus hop in the backing. A lightly offensive alcohol lingers in the very ending of the nose.

T- A light water like flavor is actually the first thing I taste. This gets covered quickly with a sweet caramel malt. Some light citrus hops in the backing finish this beer up along with a touch of alcohol.

M- Light medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light for the style and the beer in general. Sweet malts left on the palate along with some light alcohol in the aftertaste. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol. Flavors were not balanced nor blended well. Not really crisp or clean tasting at all.

D- Did I drink this? Yes. Did I like it? I really can't say for sure. I wouldn't buy a sixer of it...that's for sure. It didn't set with me for the style but it wasn't that bad of a beer. Maybe if they labeled it as an amber ale I would have given it a better score.

10-27-2010 03:43:21 | More by alleykatking
woodychandler

2.4/5  rDev -28.4%

If you have never been to Pinocchio's in Media, PA, you need to visit their bottle shop, which is a misnomer since they always have a wide range of CANs for sale.

My IPA Day rolls on, CAN you dig it?

Jockamo is the phonetic pronunciation of "Giacomo" as in Laura San Giacomo and if you don't dig, groove on imdb.com and especially "Sex, Lies and Videotape", in which she appeared.

What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China, you are probably asking and since I have no idea, let's move on.

The Crack left me feeling the love as some of its foam jumped out to greet me! I love these craft CANs that are filled to the brim - I am definitely getting my money's worth. Man, I have not downed this many successive IPAs in a while and even my Hops Monkey jones has subsided. The Glug netted a finger-and-a-half of dense, tawny head with great retention in the onslaught of humidity. The lacing that began to appear reminded me to get on the horn and rent a jackhammer to remove it all later. Color was a deep orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was odd, it had a kind of garlic/onion twang to it that reminded me of Gubna. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching fullness and the taste was nothing like the nose, so maybe I was mistaken. Instead, it had an earthy quality, more akin to an English IPA than an AIPA. Whoa! The finish really tasted like garlic/onion, so maybe I was not too far off after all. I am afraid I am going to have to dun this one for its lack of info on its packaging. The bottom of the CAN was stamped: "Best By 08/30/12" so freshness was not an issue, nor was storage as it went from Pinocchio's cooler into my reefer. This was kind of disappointing as I usually like Abita's beers, but this one was not making it for me.

Serving type: can

06-20-2012 16:01:58 | More by woodychandler
AdamBear

2.42/5  rDev -27.8%

A-transparent amber with a lot of frothy light tan head

S-stale grassy hops...a bit buttery as well, medium strength

T-comes in with burnt buttery grains. this tastes like an IPA way past its "best by" date, but it says on the bottle this is good til June 2011. there's no bitterness and there's a substantial lack of hops. this IPA is an embarrassment to the style. the after-taste is grassy.

M-medium carbonation with a creamy finish...the only decent quality here

D-the site rules won't allow me to share my true feelings as they would include excessive profanity. this is a sucky attempt at an IPA. it lacks any good qualities for any style, except possibly an APA.

04-08-2011 19:46:54 | More by AdamBear
SuperNova777

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Notes from 10/12/10

A:Pours a see thru copper color with a fingers worth of white head that quickly
falls, not much lacing down the glass

S:Up front you get mostly malt then a small kick of piney/citrus hop aroma but with
nothing to over dominating

T:At first hit there is all malt then in the middle is a small amount of hops then
another lay down of malt on the backburner. Nothing too exciting or uprising.

M:Body is pretty watery with not much carbonation

D:Not to surprised with the outcome of this one. First off drinking this was like drinking a glass of water with a little bit of flavor to it. Very thin body, hardly any hop flavor, and not really enjoyable to drink. Def. not one I will try again.

10-17-2010 15:30:50 | More by SuperNova777
yardkl

Georgia

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love IPAs but this one is lacking. It's not bad but There are so many better IPAs out there. Bought a six pack, drank all of them, but will never buy again. It's very mild for an IPA but not in a good way. Decent beer but I take my IPAs seriously. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.

03-11-2014 03:17:50 | More by yardkl
KeefD

2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

This is an IPA?? Poured a burnt orange color with no head and no lacing. Initial aroma is of grainy malts and very little hops presence. Taste is very much the same. Where are the hops?!?! Very sweet for the so-called style, lots of caramel malts, slightly biscuity, light bitter hop-bite in the background, but nothing to indicate that it's an IPA. It tastes ok, but is completely lacking for the style. Medium-bodied, light on the carbonation, and fairly easy to down.

Again, I liked this beer, but it would be much better suited under an American Amber ale. Had it been marketed as such, scores would have been much higher.

06-10-2008 21:14:32 | More by KeefD
donkeyrunner

2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

Dark amber with some floaties. As this isn't bottle conditioned (as far as I know) I'm assuming those are bits of hop leaf? White head with fair retention.

I read a review by plinythethirsty that said this beer smells like pina colada. That about hits the nail on the head. I do like a good pina colada though.

Holy crystal malt! Caramel and toffee and, and, and...hops? 52 IBU? Really, where? This may be the first malt-centric IPA I've ever had.

11-16-2009 19:50:15 | More by donkeyrunner
Jockamo IPA from Abita Brewing Co.