Dunkelweizen - Abita Brewing Co.

No picture.

Dunkelweizen |  ABV ?

Beer added by: usmittymc on 03-23-2008

Reviews by theghost3:
2.07/5  rDev n/a

This beer is considered one of Abita's "special" beers, and I think it's only available at the Brew Pub or Brewery. I ordered this beer at the Brew Pub with some fairly high expectations. Unfortunately, shortly after having this served to me, I realized that this just wasn't that good of a brew.

The appearance of the Dunkelweizen is beautiful. It's a rather dark brown with a hint of copper. The head was thick and light beige. The smell didn't live up to the appearance. It had sort of a woodsy-type smell but sour. The taste wasn't any better. There was something like a fried fish/burned wood deal going on. Terrible. Mouthfeel was rather odd; the main problem being that the beer I was served was not nearly cold enough (I know cask ales are not supposed to be kept too cold, but this was almost warm). The taste coupled with the temperature of the beer made the beer a tough drink. If the beer had actually been cool, it may have been a different story.

Bottomline--there's a lot of buildup & no payoff. Abita can do better. The menu at the Brew Pub says that you may have a wait because this is a hand-pumped beer. I suppose during that wait, the Dunkelweizen was warmed, and trust me, most people don't want room temperature beer.

5/5  rDev n/a

Served on cask at the Abita Brew Pub in Abita Springs, LA.

A: Fabulous mahogony brown with a creamy thick tan head. Rapid bubble activity throughout the glass that slowly settles.

S: Moderate presence of clove, banana, caramel.

T: Friggin awesome. The subtlety of the sweet flavors balances well with a nice dry hoppy bite.

M: Silky. A moderate body on this typical of the style.

D: I could have sat at the brewpub and drank this all night. An outstanding entry from Abita. From what I was told at the Brewpub, this is a one time deal, so get it while you can. I wish they would bottle this!!!

Dunkelweizen from Abita Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.