Abbey Ale - Abita Brewing Co.

Abbey AleAbbey Ale

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: theboozecruise on 10-26-2008

Abbey Ale honors the ancient tradition of monks who perfected the art of brewing beer to support the monastery and their "liquid bread". We offer up our support and thank them with a 25¢ donation to St. Joseph's Abbey with every bottle sold of this heavenly brew. Dark amber in color, the aroma of caramel, fruits and cloves invites you to contemplate the creamy head of this "Dubbel" or double ale. Abita Abbey Ale is a malty brew, top-fermented and bottle aged to rapturous perfection.

Ratings: 549 | Reviews: 230
1.59/5  rDev -56.4%

Iv'e been avoiding this one for a while, after i tried Andygator, i just put this in the back of the fridge. Well, now i'm running out of beer, and i'm too broke to go buy something else.

The hue is quite a bit lighter than any Dubbel i have seen. No big deal, i'm open minded. The head is respectable with a little lacing.

Smell. This is where things start going downhill. It smells like clove, rotten plums, and old moldy bread. Pretty fucking repulsive, if you ask me.

Oh god, this one has a horrible aftertaste. Everytime i breath out, it's like sweet vomit. Tastes really sweet with clove and apple juice squeezed from rotten apples. And then there is some sort of carbonated soda flavor mixed in, like someone mixed some sprite with this beer.

Mouthfeel is the only aspect of this beer that i am not completely repulsed by.

I poured the rest of the bomber down the drain as soon as i finished this review. I didn't even finish a quarter of the bottle.

Sure the price tag was nice ($3.99), but it's not even worth that.

1.62/5  rDev -55.6%

i was always taught if you don't have anything nice to say do not say anything at all...

with that said i am always skeptical of abbita. I got my bottle for free for vol at a homebrew comp.

i did have high hopes for this beer but they were crushed like a Monday at work.

This is an extremely Americanized version of a Belgium dubble.

only good thing i can say is that the proceeds of this brew are donated to a hospital...and that's the only good thing i can say

1.72/5  rDev -52.9%

To be honest, I was expecting a very underwhelming beer when I tried this. Many domestic attempts at abbey style beers tend to fall flat on flavor and substitute seltzer for effervescence. This beer is, by no means, guilty of those (minor) crimes.

This beer looks and feels like an abbey, which is better than most accomplish, as I said. On the other hand...a single whiff of this made me not want to try drinking it. It has a smell much akin to rotten (not simply ripe) bananas.

Then, it tastes like it smells, which was a big surprise to me. I was still expecting not to get much out of the flavor, but instead, I tried a second and a third sip, and I still picked up a distinctly rotten note to the whole thing.

Next time I see a bottle, I will try it again, but this was not, by any means, a stale bottle...I got it directly from the distributor, so it hadn't been sitting on the shelf somewhere for months. Again, I will give it another chance, and I hope to change my mind.

1.85/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

First off, I'm pretty new to the craft beer scene (and this is my first review). After trying several Belgian Trappists, and a couple American versions of the style (such as Ommegang Abbey Ale, which is one of my favorites so far), I had high hopes for this beer.

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a chalice. At first glance, the beer looks great--a dark reddish brown, with a full thick head. However, that's about all the good I have to say about this beer.

The first thing I noticed that I was disappointed with was the smell. It smells sour, like rancid fruit. This caused me to temper my expectations a bit, but I shrugged and gave it a shot.

The taste is basically just how it smells, except stronger. I'm trying, but its difficult to find something good to say about the flavor of this beer. The higher alcohol content (8%) is hidden well, but honestly, I would prefer more of an alcohol flavor over the sickeningly sweet and sour taste that permeates this beer.

As for drinkability, Abita Abbey Ale has little of it. I managed to get through half the bottle (which I consider an accomplishment) before I had to pour it out. In addition to the offensive taste, it refuses to sit well in my stomach as well.

Sorry to those who enjoyed it, but I didn't care much for this beer. I won't be having it again.

2.46/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

220z pry-top brown glass bottle. No date.

Clear amber brown with thin off-white head. Nose is angry and smells like wet charred wood. Toasted or burnt malt, light yeast notes. Palate is ligh- to medium-bodied. Burnt not is hard to get past. Finish is short and sort of corn-influenced.

Three of us tried this to see if it was a technical fault. My interpretation is that the yeast strain was not a fan of something in the grain bill. Drain pour.

Should probably try again.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Not good, tasted exactly like fresh sweet feed that I put out for deer.

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a dark but not opaque garnet brown. Decent dense head with little retention.

Unusual aroma, I swear I smell Worcestershire sauce in the background - this may end up an ingredient in a marinade! Dark bread is here as well. Not a typical dubbel.

Taste is also unusual as the spices carry through. Low sweetness, minor bitter end. The spice is not very pleasant as it is not balanced with a suitable aftertaste. Very low priced, I wished I liked this more as this will be my one and only bottle.

Watched Treme over a few days, wonderful show that felt very authentic. It was difficult to tell what they were drinking in spite of how much they drank which was a lot - music and drink are natural partners. I did not know of Abita so labels from a distance meant little . . . but neon signs shout and they shouted Abita. So here I sit drinking my first and possibly last Abita.
cheers
jd

2.57/5  rDev -29.6%

From a decorated bomber into a large wine glass, Abita Abbey pours a clear caramel with a soapy half inch of off white foam. Offers decent retention and light lacing, holding a surface cap though a bit light in color overall.

Nose is a bit unusual with rotten sweetened banana and an odd spice. Far from inviting in a bad cotton candy sugar sense, yet lessens somewhat with time, though not enough to fully rid the nose of a certain strawberry vomit sense. Weird shit.

Flavor is subdued vs. the nose, thankfully, and yet still has a bit of strawberry milk powder going on; along with more expected malts of a bit of cherry and chocolate. Light in body for the style yet with a good steady carbonation to counter said body in the feel and finish. If ever I were to drink a bomber straight from the bottle, this would be it as an aroma avoidance measure. A second pour is less bad, but the rotten bubblegum carries on in aroma.

An interesting yeast culture going on here. With significant exposure the beer opens up to become rather pleasant. A light malt presence for the style, yet typical for Abita, accompanies a decent feel. Bottom line for me is that the aroma is an insurmountable obstacle for this brew. Bon Chance..

2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date. The body was clear of sediment, leather brown in color. The mild tan head faded to a ring too quickly.

Smell was Belgian yeast and spices.

Taste was fruity and spicy. Raisins. Not too sweet but a light brown sugar character. A bit muddy overall. Not a good representation of the style.

Mouthfeel was not as carbonated as one would expect. Medium bodied.

2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

pretty sharp looking bomber picked up at papago...

rich hazy amber color with a gigantic soft pale beige head. there is a load of assorted lacing as well as a 'u' shaped ring of foam.

big aroma of overly floral yeast with notes of buttery caramel, toasted nuts and a tart fruitiness similar to white verjus or grape water.

the palate is nearly sticky along with a substance and thickness of yeast. the flavor is rather meh... toasted nuts, lots of caramel, golden raisins, and dried herbs with a spicy alcohol laden finish.

mouth feel is thick with yeast and approaching sticky. medium bodied. 6/3/5/3/12/2.9

2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a very dark cloudy reddish brown in color with a 2 inch cloudy tan head; smells of yeast, spices, sweet malt, bread, caramel, banana and clove. The banana and clove actually smell fruity and a little bit like a banana nut muffin. Quite nice in the aroma department.

Tastes like it smells, with a spicy sweet mix of malt, bread, yeast, spices, caramel, fruit/citrus, banana and clove, maybe a bit of pepper. At first, the sweetness is puckering and almost tart as the spices and fruits jump out front, but then the malt, banana and clove kick in to add complexity, but then the beer digresses and seems skunky and a tad bit like a banana that's been sitting around too long with the brown spots all over. The malt sweetness comes through, as does the alcohol and yeast, but this attempt at an Abbey Ale proves that the Belgian Monks do it best and should continue to corner that market.

It was a decent beer with a creamy, sticky feel to it on the tongue, but the skunky taste took away a lot from this beer. The fruit was too much, with the banana not adding an accent, but acting as a recurring taste that was just a bit too much. Medium carbonation and very little lacing.

Not bad to get a 22 oz bottle for $5 in NY, but overall this beer was just OK. I'd grab a real Belgian before I grabbed this again, especially considering that I really like some of Abita's other beers (TurboDog, Purple Haze, Jockamo IPA, Strawberry Harvest Lager, etc.).

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

Orangey copper colored with a white head, not very thick or retentive.

Smells sort of citrusy sweet, but rather off compared to very good representations of the style. I would have to agree with some reviewers and say that there is a bit of a tart nose to it.

Taste is similar with the citrus with a faint noticable sweetness. It is more bitter than it should be, and the alcohol is too noticable, taking from the flavor unfortunitely.

It's thin, between light and medium bodied and a bit too carbonated.

It's not undrinkable, but it's not going to be a desired choice. The high alcohol content give the drink a boost as it will get you a nice buzz rather quickly if thats what you are after.

Overall, it's not a great representation of style, and Abita has many other brews that are more than acceptable and rather good. The price point for this doesn't do much justification either.

2.82/5  rDev -22.7%

First of all, let me say that I am very happy to see these new "special" bombers from Abita. I really want to like Abita brews, but none of the regular 12oz beers have stood out in my mind. Sadly, they just don't make me want to buy them again. Well, with the new, 22oz brews, hopefully that'll change.

The Abbey Ale pours with a decent head and looks nice. The aroma is a bit off-putting, though. I appreciate the phenolic character of some Belgian yeasts, and there's some of that "goodness" in this brew, but there's also some bad phenols as well. (For reference, I would say Chimay red or blue has a very good phenolic character.) The taste is better than the aroma, but the "bad" phenols are still there. This is an interesting attempt at an Abbey ale and one that almost works, but ultimately it needs more finesse. Much like the Andygator, the flavors in this brew don't quite gel and makes me think the recipe needs more time to work out the kinks. Well, to be honest, I had Andygator a number of years ago when it was still draft-only. I thought it was "odd...if not off" back then, and I still think it tastes the same in the new bottled form. Odd... Whatever the case, this Abbey Ale is a better Abita beer than most other Abita brews out there. Hey Abita, I'm still pulling for you. Seriously, keep trying with the special release bomber series. I still have faith that you guys can make some killer brews!

2.86/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured vigorously into a snifter; about half filled.
A: Amber to a ruby red color. Nice head which dissipates and hovers over the body of the beer; leaves a fine lacing.
S: Malty with strong fruit.
T: Bready with a quick lead-in to malts and overly sweet fruits.
M: Light carbonation over tongue.
D: Sweet and fruity, my initial reaction was poor, but the beer grew on me. High alcohol content is noticeable, but mostly masked by sweetness.

I was excited to find this bottle in SE CT since I'd only heard of Abita, but I found this beer a little lack-lustre compared to other abbey style beers. It was too sweet and I was turned off by the initial bready taste. I'm definitely excited to see what else Abita has to offer.

2.91/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Once again Abita does a nice marketing job but the bottle contents don't match expectation.

The mahogany color with some cloudiness match the style. The head is quite full at first but dissipates quickly.

The taste is a little too winey for me and the style.

The mouth is medium bodied and it finishes with a hint of tartness and some alcoholic tones given the 8% abv.

Have to give it a bit of credit given the price compared to other brews that claim to be abbey type ales. I guess a nice try but I wouldn't introduce a newcomer to the style with this brew.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy, dark amber with a two finger tan foam cap. Decent retention and lacing. Smells strongly of yeast and banana/date esters, as well as a good bit of doughy malt and some spice. Tastes of sweet malt and tangy yeast, as well as more banana and quite a bit of spiciness. Medicinal phenols are almost overwhelming at times. Some bitterness at the finish. Mouthfeel is thick, but slightly syrupy. The phenols make it somewhat unpleasant to put down.

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on January 18, 2014.

It has a decent looking mahogany or chestnut brown pour with a quick off-white head the fizzles down and leaves little lacing behind.

The nose has tart red grape ester to it more than anything else. Muted behind that upfront fruitiness I find barley malts, earthy hops, and mild spice.

Medium body.

The taste brings out a little more of the toasted malts but it is the almost juice-like red grape that overpowers everything else in the character. Some tart bitterness on the tail end. Not on my "buy again" list.

A: dark amber.
S: metallic. Grainy.
T: promising maltiness up front and then fades into overly bitter astringency.
M: crisp then flattened.

This brew was a bit off for my taste... I won't be picking this up again unless I learn I received a bad batch...

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Nose was instantly sweet, lots of floral and earthy notes, a little more than I thought it should.

Color was deep amber/brown...looked amazing

Taste was as a thought, sweeter than I was hoping for it tasted...well cheap honestly not like a true abbey ale...there was one flavor also that didn;t seem to belong, not sure what, some kind of flowery or herbal taste.

Not a true abbey ale in my opinion but still an alright beer in general.

2.97/5  rDev -18.6%

A 750 ML poured into a small pint glass. Bought from the brewery.

A-- Poured a reddish brown with a light brown head. A one inch head that was fluffy and kept its retention well. Good lacing with the glass and decent carbonation.

S-- Sweet, bready, dark fruit and cloves with this. Fairly malty beer.

T-- A little bitter. Not as sweet as the smell is. The fruits come out more in the taste.

M-- Fairly carbonated and lively in the mouth but the burnt/ bitter taste really dominates in this.

D-- Needs to be a bit sweeter I think. ABV is apparent but later in drinking this. Smell is very good but the rest fails. There are better US attempts in Dubbles out there.One is enough.

2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

A big burst of bubbles results in a nice-sized dark tan head that sticks for a bit before dying out and leaving a thin lacing with some spots strewn above here and there. Color is ruby red with some reddish-orange hues where the light hits. Sweet bread and dark sour fruits rise to the nose. A damp earthiness works itself into the mix after a slight shake of the glass. Tastes malty and grainy with some lighter fruits in the background. Some hops and a boozy alcohol heat work into the mix later on. Overall the taste is a little weak, and there's something a little off in the balance, but it's not so bad as to ruin the experience. Mouth-feel is medium bodied, as is the carbonation. Not as bad as expected, but needs some refinement in some key areas.

2.99/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a slightly murky ruby color with almost no head nor lacing to be found. Not an inviting appearance.

Smells of sweet dark fruits and perhaps a bit of caramel.

At first the taste was over the top sweetness, but as the beer warmed it seemed to settle down a bit. Figs and prunes are the order of the day, along with some cinnamon. Not much in the way of alcohol in the taste, although you can feel the warming.

Mouthfeel was too thin for my taste. It did have a nice smoothness, but not to the point of being creamy. In a way it sort of felt dead in the mouth.

I'm always appreciative of an American brewer trying to make a Belgian style beer. Sometimes they even manage to nail it. This is not one of those times. While not a bad beer by any means, it still needs some work to be mentioned among the better beers of this style.

I've been looking over this one for a while and after the Saints won the big one, the local bottle shop put this one on sale so I said, "What the hell?"

Poured into a Chimay goblet...

Pours a murky brown liquid with a nice thick off white head that lingers nicely and laces very well as well.. Very true to style in the appearance anyway..

Big aromas of those clove-y bananas with the spiciness and earthiness of a nice Belgian abbey ale.. I'm actually quite surprised at how good this one smells... Very spicy and yeasty and delicious aromas...

Big wheaty taste upfront with a nice spiciness of cloves and bananas and all the things you'd expect... and then it happens... I have to believe that this is infected... There's a strange funky sourness here that shouldn't be here.. It's not prevalent but its there.. Now that I've tasted it up front, it's pretty much all I'm getting for the rest of the glass here.. It seems to drown out the rest of the characteristics of this one.. Man, I wanted to like this one too...

Well, I paid $3.99 for this bomber and that's about what I got out of it.. I loved the Andygator and was hoping for more of the same out of this but I was disappointed here..

3.01/5  rDev -17.5%

After cleaning up the beer and foam that shot (then oozed) out the bottle neck following crown cracking... bright brick red with glazed apricot accents and much less carbonation than expected. The golden beige cap looks good too and glass coverage is better than decent. Against all odds, this is attractive beer.

The aroma is a little too sour fruity and phenolic to be a solid representation of the style. The usual elements of the style are present, though they're nothing to write home about.

Sorry, but Abbey Ale is not a very good effort at an abbey ale from the boys down in the bayou. My relatively high hopes for a credible Belgian-style ale from a brewery that puts out slightly above average beer on their best day was obviously misplaced.

Flavors include steely caramel, roasted peanuts, unripe fruit, bitter tea leaves and clove phenols. This is almost more of an Oktoberfest-Scottish ale hybrid than a dubbel. The yeast strain is incredibly messy and drags down the rest of the beer...

... along with a mouthfeel that suffers from the classic problem of unruly carbonation out of the gate, following by next to nothing in the way of bubbles after the initial storm subsides. Besides, the beer is too thin for the style and ABV.

Given the foam explosion, and the unfortunate aftermath, it's obvious that this bomber of Abita Abbey Ale isn't as the brewers intended. However, I don't believe the bottle is infected. Maybe you'll have better luck, but it's probably best to stick with the Belgian brasseries for your well-brewed dubbel needs.

3.02/5  rDev -17.3%

The aroma is fruity and yeasty with malt. The appearance is amber with with an average head. The flavor is average too despite tasting like the aroma. The palate is thin. Overall it is better than average but not by a lot. This is worth a try but don't expect too much.

Abbey Ale from Abita Brewing Co.