Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Satsuma Harvest Wit - Abita Brewing Co.

Satsuma Harvest WitSatsuma Harvest Wit

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Witbier |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: philipquarles on 12-31-2008

Real Louisiana Satsumas, golden wheat, oats and the finest barley create Abita Satsuma Harvest Wit. Pale and cloudy, like the haze on a hot summer day, this white beer has a sweet and subtle citrus flavor with a touch of spice that is cool and refreshing.

2.47/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazed golden yellow color. this stuff almost looks like a gel. One finger white head shows medium retention overall. Light ringing lacing on the glass as I drink down.

S- The only two things I can pick out in this beer are a yeasty aroma in the front of this that is pretty dominate. There is a grainy like presence in the background. Almost smells like a very yeasty BMC product.

T- There is a light sourness to this from the get go. This dies to a light watery yeasty taste. Some light grainy notes really make this beer a subpar standing in taste as far as I'm concerned. There is a light artifical fruit flavor but I can't figure out what it is.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is fizzy and a little much for the beer. Light sourness and yeasty flavor left on the palate. Some alcohol and grainy flavor left in the aftertaste. Alcohol has light drying on the palate. Flavor is balanced for the style.

D- This beer to me is not a good offering for any brewery in this style. If this were a BMC product I would have no problem with it but as a craft brewery offering I must say this is terrible. (1,140 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Satsuma

Hazy super pale golden color with about 2 fingers of sticky bright white head. Good lacing. Extremely yeasty nose with tons of coriander.

Lots of flavor and goes down easy. Extremely spicy brew. Moderate body with a good deal of yeast bite. Wheat comes through on the back end to round that out. A little medicinal with a touch of band-aid like flavor. Interesting citric fruits. A strange beer with tons of flavors that kind of end up all over the place. It's good and refreshing but some of the flavors are off, especially the medicinal and wet newpaper like ones. Good use of an interesting fruit but could use some work. Slightly acidic with the aftertaste thats reminiscent of orange juice. Slightly overly spiced. Again, full of flavor, just a little off the wall and off the money at times. (807 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Even with brown glass I could see plenty of sediment in the bottom of this bottle. Not being adverse to this I gave it a little swirl then poured all but the last bit into my glass. This produced a nice thick head (keeping the appearance rating from hitting 1), but with all sorts of unappetizing whitish particles floating about. I then poured this thru a strainer into another glass, and ended up with something that looked palatable, with a light yellow gold hazy liquid crowned with a generous head.

The aroma of a fruity, spicy and yeasty witbier matches the flavor. Neither is very robust. It does taste better than it smells, and there are no serious flaws in the flavor. The finish and aftertaste are the best aspects, being nicely fruity (mainly orange) and modestly wheaty.

The mouthfeel is light and bit watery, even for this style. Despite the indication provided by the ample head, I felt this could use more carbonation.

This is drinkable and somewhat refreshing ale, but a beer I'll probably avoid in the future. (1,072 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured into a weisse glass. Cloudy bright yellow color with a big pristene white head. Laced OK. Slight orange aroma. Never had a satsuma so not sure what it tastes like. Not much of an orange flavor and I thought way to bitter for the style of beer but then I don't know if satsumas are bitter or not. Was not very enjoyable to me. (332 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -20.9%

My experience was basically the same as the others reported here. Nothing really special about this one but not a terrible experience either. I was expecting more citrus taste in the beer - something more along the lines of the Strawberry Lager strength of flavor - but it really isn't there. There is a hint of it, however, with some bitterness more reminiscent of a Kumquat than a Satsuma to me.

I will buy it again, probably, as it is very drinkable and refreshing even with the lack of advertised flavor. (509 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

12oz bottle picked up for $.99 as an impulse. i dont think ive tried anything from this brewery before. drank from a standard american pint glass.

A- this one pours out a hazy golden orange colored body with a rather large bright white head on top. the head falls quickly and doesnt leave behind much as far as lacing goes.

S- the nose starts out with some basic malted wheat and some mild lemon scents. a little bit of spiciness follows. the finish is of light floral hops.

T- the initial sip brings forth mildly sweet bready malts and a little bit of malted wheat. after that i get some light lemony flavors and some coriander, black pepper, and clove like spiciness. a small amount of floral hops finish this one off.

M- the body is light. the carbonation is high. the alcohol is virtually undetectable.

O- overall, this is a forgettable beer. there is nothing wrong with it, its just not interesting to me. i dont ever see myself picking this one up in the future. (975 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, caution light yellow in color, cloudy, high carbonation

Smell: wheat, grass, and sour tangerines--could that be satsuma

Taste: sour fruit that is like grapefruit juice, wheat and orange

Mouthfeel: light body and high carbonation, sweetish start with an over the top bitter middle that gets slightly less bitter

Drinkability: My least favorite of the Abita Harvest series. This one is a sipper because the bitterness takes over this beer--which I cannot get over. There are some elements in there that remind me of a saison which I like. I like Abita's creativity here. I would not rush to get this again, but if passed to me, I would not turn it down either. (689 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours golden yellow with a good sized white head looks like a normal wit.
Smells of oranges and wheat and some sort of spice that I can't quite put my finger on.
Tastes very bland...not much to pick out.
Mouth is normal for the style light highly carbonated (257 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured a nice hazy white with an inch of quickly disappearing head leaving just a hint of lacing.

The smell is sweet and very bready with a bit tropical fruit.

The flavor is very malty with a big blast of biscuit with light yeasty spice, the hops bring a balancing bitterness, but unfortunately not much in the flavor or aroma department. The taste really fades fast leaving just a trace of bitter and musty yeast and a hint of pepper.

The mouthfeel has very zippy carbonation and is a bit thin.

Strange Wit, I would avoid it in the future. (544 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever seen the word satsuma. I must live a sheltered life or something. Anyway, the beer pours a slightly hazed very pale yellow topped by about a half-finger of white bubbly foam. The nose comprises light coriander, pepper, musky wheat, puffed rice, and a touch of orange. The taste has the usual wit-y lemon zest and coriander touches, but the wheat continues on its musky way, dragging everything downhill with it. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and an airy finish. Overall, I didn't care for this beer much. Just a bit too musky all over the place, while the rest of the wit characteristics subsequently dissipated behind it. (741 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

I've tried this beer at a couple of different temperatures and in all cases I was very disappointed.The pour generated a decent tight bubbled head but this dissapated quite quickly.

The look is a pale yellow semi-cloudy with a some carbonation.

I looked forward to a fruitly spicy nose and found just a faint vague aroma.

The body is very thin even for a summer wit.

The finish is totally undistinguished with only the remnant of the vague nose lingering to provide any real taste.

I've always found Abita brews to be pretty good, although not up their reputation, but this one is just not at all impressive and one that I wouldn't recommend. I hope it's because I have a bad six-pack and not what everyone else is getting. (728 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Appears a cloudy, pale yellow with a white, fluffy, two-finger head. The head leaves a little lacing, not too much.

The nose is all yeasty and grain, maybe a slight hint of spices. Laid-back and not very strong with the aromas. The taste is also not very full. Seems to be lacking a bit, but there are spicy notes coming through that weren't around in the nose. Lots of yeast and wheat, very very bready.

The mouthfeel is light with above average carbonation. This would be good and refreshing for a hot day, but that's about it. Overall, not too impressed, pretty all-around average in my opinion. Flavor is really thin and not exciting. (690 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Transferred from my tasting notebook.

Appears clouded pale yellowish with orange shading, an initially large and fluffy two finger head falls apart in less than a minute, leaves very little by the way of lacing at all behind, mouthfeel is sort of slippery, thinner side of medium bodied.

Smells of wheaty malt with heavy breadiness and surprisingly faint orange peel...I was expecting a lot more orange peel. Taste is rather in a similar vein, with an initial straightforward wheat and coriander burst followed by the mild acidic ghost of the peel flavor arriving in stealth mode by blending in with some kind of gently herbaceous hopping that appears at the finish of the sip.
The main unusual quality I pick up from this one is the way it leans harder into dryness than most wheats I have tasted. Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you...but I do have an issue with the fact that I'm completely unable to find any of the banana or clove elements I expect from a wheat beer in this brew...I'm just left with a merely generic sort of sense of herbal pale malt tinged the whispered breath of a orange peels smell. In other words, It really needs some more elements to feel 'complete' to me. (1,205 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass... hazy straw color with a weak white head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smells like grass... a hint of citrus. Not too strong.

Taste is more of the same... subdued, a little bitter, definite earthy straw aftertaste with just a hint of bitter citrus.

Fairly watered down... easy to drink if you like the flavor.

Not Abita's best effort for sure, the Pecan and Strawberry make for much better seasonal brews. (462 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle without any date indicators into a Rogue pint.

Cloudy, pale, thin white head, and no lace make for a pretty weak start.

Pretty weak in the aroma dept...hmmm...not really getting much with this one. A slight fruitiness at best. Faint earth and nut. This is stretching it.

A pretty run of the mill earthy wheat berry wit flavor with pronounced banana. This beer is supposed to have been brewed with "real Louisana satsuma oranges." I don't dectect this element at all. I thought satsuma oranges were from Japan anyway?

Mouthfeel is probably the best trait, but nothing to get excited about. Feels like most wit brews out there - somewhat dry and prickly.

Honestly, a bit of a let down. The words Satsuma and Harvest got me excited, but to no avail. Pass next time. (799 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -16.6%

This beer has a great pour. A hazy, cloudy, yellow with a touch of orange. The head is not impressive at all! It doesn't even pour one finger thick. The nose is yeast and fruit, coriander and that very wheat banana smell that I'm not fond of. The taste has a light body with all the fruit in the nose just barely noticeable on the palate. This is a great spring/summer beer. It would be nice for sitting on the patio or after mowing the lawn. (442 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -14.3%

I'd like to point out that i had no idea what a Satsuma was, but wanted to try something new.

a-I find rating the appearance of beer like rating the sight of a fart; pointless, frustrating, and likely to distract from the smell.

s-Smells light and fruity, like Richard Simmons.

tTaste is not too bad, but not particularly great. I still don't know what a satstuma tastes like, only that it is citrusy.

m-The mouthfeel is actually pretty horrible, too similar to water. The taste isn't so bad, but the mouthfeel is bad enough to drag down the taste. Way too light.

d-Wishing I would have just purchased a single bottle, hope my girlfriend likes it so I don't have to have any more. I am actually going to lie to her and tell her it's awesome in hopes of using my jedi mind trick to get her to finish the 6-pack. And in case you were wondering, yes, this beer is so bad that I would abuse my jedi powers. (908 characters)

A: hazy light straw w/minimal head.
S:muted. Not getting the satsuma citrus much. Lemony, grainy,and some coriander.
T: very close to hoegaarden. Lightly sweet biscuity wheaty malts washed out by a light lemony sourness. A bit watery.
M: light, feels a bit thin. Maybe some more co2 woulda helped.
O: pretty standard, if light, wit. (332 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

#129. Still hacking away at my Abita Party Pack. This one is normally a spring seasonal, but there's no date on the bottle. Mysterious but I can usually find room for a Witbier at most times of the year, so I'll make this one work.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle to a pint glass at room temperature. Served at about 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a 1.5 finger depth frothy frost white head that thickens as it condenses. Retention is pretty nice and the beer recedes at a labored pace. Evidence of surface lacing is evident- a nice medium froth remains where the head meets the surface. Color of the beer is a dark golden-yellow but very opaque and very dense with lots of pulpy content. Despite the bright coloration of this beer, the little light reflected to my eye comes from bottom of the glass and is battled by very thick pulp. If you like bunches of pulp, this could be your late night juice. Otherwise, this may not match your ideal beer appearance. Does alright by me though- intriguing and appealing. 3.5

(Smell) Your very traditional witbier smells: banana bread, coriander, perhaps a touch of clove and citrus here and there. Not amazingly original but the positives are in potency, where this beer does somewhat well, but could always improve a tick. There's nothing here to turn me off, but also nothing here to discern it apart from the competition based on aroma alone. 3.5

(Taste) This is where it all disconnects. There's a substantial, albeit watery banana bread malty base in the center but very little spice and excitement to round it out on the finish and little content at the beginning. Despite looking thick and bold, the taste doesn't deliver. There's a touch of citrus and the tiniest bit of coriander on the end, but it's just not what I'm looking for in this beer, ions below the balance and presence of icons like Weihenstephaner. The introduction is the most lacking part of the sip, where content and wheat malt should be greeting, I just get water with a hint of flavor. It really needs a tune-up. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Surprisingly crisper than the appearance gives away. The beer gets significantly thicker as we work our way to the bottom of the bottle, and becomes pulpy and slightly chewy, both interesting elements but neither particularly pleasurable to me. Carbonation keeps this a tad bit tingly, a much more appropriate feel for the beer style than the taste. Body is a solid light and the alcohol is well hidden. This does much better, but without a solid taste to pair with it it's difficult to judge on its own. 3.5

(Overall) If the taste could even match the aroma of this beer, we'd have a far better finished product. The flavor just wasn't matching up with what I was expecting in particular. If you like Witbiers, you'll probably like this in large doses, but on a critical level, I'd pass this anyway even over Hoegaarden. I'm looking forward to an adjustment for this beer next year. 3

Abita Brewing Company's
Satsuma Harvest Wit
C (2.95) (3,003 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick 1.5 finger head. Plenty of carbonation keeps the head firmly in place.

Coriander and orange peel are huge in the aroma. A tiny amount of lemon and bubblegum sneak in there as well.

The flavor is definitely spicy, more so than with a typical wit. Kind of a sharp citrus twang from the oranges that balances nicely with the increased spicyness. A little sour lemon and bubblegum in the distant background leading to a slightly sticky finish.

Overall, there is no doubt that this is a very refreshing beer but the overall flavor just doesn't really do it for me. I don't care too much for the citrus twang and the aftertaste is a little off-putting. Probably won't pick up again. (750 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -13.5%

Bought some local LA beer for the season finale of True Blood...then no one drank it.

Opaque banana puddin' color with a quick to surrender, bubbly white head. Few foamy speckles.

Wheat aroma with some belgian-y spice. Maybe, just maybe, some hard to find orange citrus.

Crisp and wheaty with a minor spicy belch in back. Not picking up much of the promised orange or coriander.

Don't tease me with local produce then hide it in the beer. Boo. Otherwise the wit base is, in itself, pretty good. (498 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Everyone at work hates this beer, so after the beer tasting day for Abita, I got this one for free. Poured into pint glass from bottle.

A: Very cloudy, lots of particles, golden yellow color with a less than impressive white head that receded a little quick for a wheat beer.

S: Smells like yeast and pale malts with touches of sweet citrus fruit.

T: Same as nose with spice added into the mix. Banana and bubblegum flavors. I'm not sure exactly what a Satsuma is supposed to taste like, but this is the sweetest orange-ish fruit beer I've had.

M: Crisp but still sort of lacking a full carbonation. Medium bodied. Not very special, easy drinking though.

O: Well this may not be my favorite offering from Abita, but it's still an enjoyable beer. If you were to compare this to similar style American witbiers, you might find yourself reaching for this guy. (861 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

This one poured a light hay color with no head whatsoever. In the glass it looked light and thin. The nose was outstanding, orange peel was perfectly balanced with the malt and just a hint of hops to keep it rounded. True wit drinkers might be disapointed following the misleading nose once it hits your lips. There is no body to this wit. It drinks like a cheap lager leaving very little for the finish. If anything I would say this one may be perfect for a 100 degree swamppy day in Louisiana to cool off and rehydrate. (521 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a highly clouded bright yellow, minimal head, gone in a moment. Yeast sediment floating within the clouds. Nose of wheat and muted citrus hoppiness.. Sweet malty start with heavy yeast and dry lemony finish. Heavy mouthfeel but cloying effect is strong. Decent for the style. (281 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

$1.99 for a 12oz. No bottling or best before date on bottle.

A: Pale, cloudy, unfiltered. Slightly golden. Patchy lacing and decent head retention.

S: Corriander and OJ mainly. Generic wet grain aromas.

T: Oranges, lemons, and a mild banana bubblegum flavor. Some earthy, dry hop action at the end.

M: Quaffable, as most witbiers are, but not as bubbly as many others.

O: Nothing memorable about this beer. Could have been bolder with the spices. (453 characters)

Satsuma Harvest Wit from Abita Brewing Co.