Amber - Abita Brewing Co.

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-08-2001

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amber Alström Bros
Reviews: 507 | Hads: 1,529
3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle no date. Bought on 11-25-15. DFH Tulip. I left Raging Bitch behind on the shelf for this, and I know coming in that this is not a big beer, but my Louisiana ties couldn't let me leave this one behind. Graded as Vienna lager (even though it says it's Munich style on the bottle).

A: Pours a brilliant copper with 1 finger foamy white head that fades to a thin skim of white. Surprisingly little carbonation. Low, but some retention. Lacing is poor; a couple of spots on the sides.

S: Sweet Munich malts with a noble hop undertone. Very sweet smelling, and slightly fruity. The smell is almost Belgian in character. Actually, I am really surprised by the smell. Not as strong as my favorite Eliot Ness, but the restraint is appreciated.

T: Very mild. Light and surprisingly not-beery on the arrival. Malt hits midway through bringing some caramel, then a weird grainy note toward the end, and a slightly sour, not too bitter finish.

M: Light for a Vienna lager; reminds me of the New Glarus Two Women in that respect. Eliot Ness and Sam Adams both have a more satisfying feel. Again, surprisingly little carbonation. If I'm having this with spicy food, I'd actually like a little more carbonation. The finish is quite clean, with a little sour note.

O: I had a lot of this beer with a lot of crawfish in New Orleans back in 2012, and it really hit the spot. If you're in a Louisiana Creole or Cajun restaurant, and the choice is this or BMC, pick this. I'd call it even with Dixie. Had I graded this as a Munich lager, the score would have been a lot higher. In fact, viewed in that light, this is really pleasing. But as a Vienna lager, it is only barely above the likes of Dos Equis. Good summertime amber.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Nothing special. Last night was the second time I've had the beer, it was allegedly from a fresh keg at a good Cajun restaurant. It was the second time I've had a skunky one. Not at all complex flavor, not at all impressed.

4.49/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

it's a bit on the watery side which is the reason i didn't rate the taste higher but this is still a good tasting beer and it's really smooth as well.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nothing special with the look but I had no head and it looks thin. Has a big sweet Carmel smell to it. Toasted sweet Carmel malt taste. Slight carbs on a light body. Ok beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

November 4th, 2013 - New Orleans is Abita territory - something I never knew - but it's a great opportunity to see how and why the city has taken a shine to this line of beers, and whether and how it competes with all the other libations folks are sloshing around in the streets, from cups and mouths alike. First is the Turbodog, readily available, and sweet and sticky, to match the hot southern air. The color is a deep burnt brown, made darker by the sultry atmosphere of our bar. On the nose I get a nice, fresh hop smell, almost sweet, and light, reserved and conservative. Everything about the flavor is light too: light flavor, light hops touch, light body, but the hops does cut deeper and more intensely in the aftertaste, mingling with some sugar sweetness. The different flavors don't jump out at me as unique or special, but it's a solid brew for listening to live music, where the focus is on your ears, not your tongue.

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear bronze body, coarse sloppy head, good lace, boring bottle art. Good-bad polar opposites.

S & T: Caramel, grainy malt smell, but faint. Same taste plus grainy husk, slight fruit, mild sweetness.

F: Coarse.

O: Beer. Good, for the style. Which is to say not an interesting beer, but one that sticks to the guidelines of whatever boring person said that this was a distinctive style worthy of preservation and duplication.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Abita Amber.

Never had a brew outta these guys and since I got a mix a six out of Kroger for $7 tonight with limited options I figured why not.

Look - Pours a deep, though clear amber with a three finger head that sticks around for a longggg time. Carbonation appears to be on about medium. Lacing is noticeable though small 3.75.

Smell - Weird copper notes and the expected caramel malts with a very slight amount of toasted malts. Nothing else. 3.

Taste - Easy drinking with a slight rust flavor. Bit of burnt malts and caramel but over all a pretty one dimensional flavor that doesn't offer much in the way of frills. 3.

Feel - Light and watery bodied with extremely heavy carbonation and lacking creamyness despite the well retained creamy looking head 3.

Overall - This beer is about as average as you can possibly get. On the same level as a miller fortune. I guess I'd have it again given limited options, but otherwise it's nothing special. 3.

2.84/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Fifth from my abita party pack. Poured into a pint glass. Wonderful amber color
Common trait for abita is apperance surpassing over all quality of beer. Smell is very mild and sweet hops. Head dissapates quickly. Flavor comprised of a touch of malted barley, a touch of wheat, and a touch of earthy undertones. Not a huge fan of ambers but over all a decent one. Very middle of the spectrum of bitterness and sweetness and i mostly prefet brews on one end or the other.

4.7/5  rDev +38.2%

Appearance: Filtered, amber body with bubbles and a white head that dissipates into—and remains—a small ring of foam, and leaves little to no lacing.

Aroma: Smells of caramel malts; beery. Overall, a faint aroma.

Taste: slightly watery upfront, but then it flowers into a mouthful of (slightly toasted) breadiness from the malt.

Mouthfeel: carbonated, and semi-fluffy.

Finish: crisp, refreshing, smooth.

I love a good Abita Amber. I do prefer it from a bottle, however. It often tastes too watery from the tap.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

One of the first ambers that comes to memory. Always enjoy the 504 and the brews they offer. A great early day beer to get you started. Abita is the first brewer of crafts that got me into all of this years ago.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Maybe this style just isn't for me. It's a little less offensive than Sam Adams Boston Lager, but not much. If I would have known this was a Vienna, I may not have even bought it.

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into glass from 12oz bottle..golden amber with frothy head that dissipates..very little lacing..smell is yeasty/bready..light body..malty flavor on front end

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Started 45 degrees. Looked pretty good with a decent whitish-tan foam head that hung around a little while. Not much smell. Light grain? Tasted crisp enough, a little on dry side but touch of sweetness. A small lingering something, wouldn't exactly call it bitterness on tongue. Mouthfeel seemed light almost watery. But to be fair, I've been drinking stouts and porters lately. Overall a good Vienna, but not sure I would choose this over, say, a lighter porter such as Anchor.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I tasted this beer in New Orleans Louisiana

A An Amber beer, good foam
S Caramel, nuts, and a little bit hops
T Sweet, drinkable, an average amber beer
AT Good, remains me something sweet or ice cream.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

On tap at Ardmore Music Hall, Ardmore, PA during the NMO show. Anders Osborne and fresh Abita - nice.
4-8-15 - On tap at Golden Nugget, Lake Charles pool bar and casino.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Probably one of the better amber lagers I have had. Still doesn't compare to Yuengling which is my favorite of the style. Pretty smooth and light though, with a nice light roasted malty flavor.

Would purchase again. Pretty enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from 12 0z. bottle to pint glass.

A: Clear copper, 1 in. off-white head.
S: Lightly roasted malt, yeast, caramel.
T: Grainy taste with caramel malts, a bit yeasty, and a bit of apple. It is nice that it isn't too sweet.
M: Light feel. Watery.
O: Alright. You could buy Yuengling for much cheaper.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%

A: [4.00] Pretty golden amber color. Sports and impressive head. At least 2 fingers of nice tight bubbles. The head pulls back slowly. The bottle lists the ABV (4.5%) and the best by date (2/22/15).

S: [3.00] Prominent wheat smell. Maybe a litle funky yeast in there too.

T: [3.50] Nothing jarring in the taste. A mild lager taste. No bitterness at all. Malty finish.

M: [3.75] Bright carbonation on the tongue. Nice crisp mouth feel.

O: [3.50] This is a beer you could transition someone from BMC to craft with. It has a mild lager taste but is slightly more complex than a standard AAL. It is not fantastic - but it is decent for what it is.

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First tried this beer while I was in New Orleans. I love these kind of beers. Although I didn't give it such a high rating, I do have to compare it to other similar style beers. This lager is refreshing and goes down well when it's at its prime temp. Once it warms up a little, the bitterness really starts to set in. I continue to drink so it can't be all bad.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

Is it exceptioanlly unique? Well, no. But Abita Amber is an outstanding, refreshing, easy-to-drink beer that you can swig back while enjoying. Those are becoming harder and harder to find. Tastes bready and lacks the awful chemical taste of many macro lagers and ambers. I'd drink it any day. If you are looking for hoppy or complex though - look somewhere else. Cheers!

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

Draft in NOLA. Pours amber with white head. Aroma is of caramel and bready malt. Body is medium and slightly crisp. Caramel malt, herbal hops and some grapes fill the mouth. Finish is medium, semi-dry. Not bad on tap.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I never bought this beer before simply because I felt there was nothing good about a beer from Louisianna. I take that back; this is a nice all-around beer. It goes down smoothly and I must admit I am a fan of German-style beers, and this one fits the bill. I'll buy it again and will try some of the brewery's other styles.

Abita Amber , one of my favorite Abitas. Nothing more special than many other Amber out there. Great color, light off white tan-ish head, great nutty aroma. This is my beer of choice 9 times out of 10 for a crawfish boil no doubt. Light and refreshing

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

First off, I hope all the people who love Sierra Nevada Vienna Lager look favorably upon this one. It's much better in my opinion.

Pours a beautiful crystal clear amber. Nice head, fades to a ring. Spotty visible carbonation adds to the appeal. The smell could easily lead me to believe I was drinking a German Marzen. Bready with a touch of caramel sweetness. The flavor is much the same, although the sweetness ramps up a touch more than the aroma would indicate. Again, flavors are wonderful. Feel falls a little flat, but it's clean and refreshing. I may not even be rating this beer well enough. Quite a pleasant surprise.

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

02/14/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Abita is all over town this week for Fat Tues./Mardi Gras. I find this on the cloying side. Leaves both an aftertaste & 'residue' on the tongue that wears out it's welcome. I guess my expectations of a beer are based on the definition of a good guest; nothing should be left but pleasant memories. This one needs a chaser. No need to "release the hounds" but a cool glass of water would be in order.

Amber from Abita Brewing Co.