Amber - Abita Brewing Co.

AmberAmber

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-08-2001

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amber Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 499 | Hads: 1,481
4.7/5  rDev +39.1%

Appearance: Filtered, amber body with bubbles and a white head that dissipates into—and remains—a small ring of foam, and leaves little to no lacing.

Aroma: Smells of caramel malts; beery. Overall, a faint aroma.

Taste: slightly watery upfront, but then it flowers into a mouthful of (slightly toasted) breadiness from the malt.

Mouthfeel: carbonated, and semi-fluffy.

Finish: crisp, refreshing, smooth.

I love a good Abita Amber. I do prefer it from a bottle, however. It often tastes too watery from the tap. (525 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +34%

This was my first Abita product, and is one of my favorite beers. It was paired with a muffaletta sandwich at the world-famous Central Grocery in New Orleans. It has a good balance of malty flavor with just a hint of hoppy bitterness. The rich amber color looks great in a glass, and it pours an ideal (in my view) head. It is a full bodied beer that feels velvety-smooth in the mouth and has a clean finish. (408 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

I recently purchased a six-pack of this and the golden at the Zachary, LA Winn-Dixie when I couldn't find any other micros. Sadly my family asked if it was an import and the brewery is literally 45 minutes from their house. But that has nothing to do with the beer.

The Abita pours a deep amber to a rich, dark copper color that is slightly cloudy with a fair to mid-sized head that faded with medium lacing.

The nose has aromas of sweet malt with hints of caramel.

This amber is very crisp and clean that is glides smoothly across the palette and down the throat with a very respectable medium body. It tastes of sweet toasty malt and hints of caramel and toasted rolls with just enough hops to give a bitter balance. The taste holds up well against a spicy cajun crawfish boil and helps put out the fires while still giving flavor.

I don't know if the use of the natural spring water or the quality ingredients, but this was a great beer.

This is a nearly text book example of an amber lager in my opinion with freshness dates on the package and a great ?conversion? beer at around $4.75-$5 a six pack.

I rated this amber so high based on the adherence to the style and the taste relative to what an amber should be. There are much better tasting beers IMHO per my tastes, but as for an amber I haven't found much better. (1,343 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

Clear amber with white head that recedes to thinner persitent foam.

Aroma hints at caramel and toast. At times, I find it earthy. At times I find it winey.

Taste is nicely balanced, paralleling the smell. Despite some caramel presence, with slight sweetness at the front, the beer finishes is dry, asking me to take another sip.

Smooth, slightly slick mouth feel, with slight carbonation prickle at the finish.

Lovely beer. If this is Vienna lager, then I am a fan of the style. (482 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +32.2%

One of the best lagers I've ever had. The only Abita beer I'd had before this was Purple Haze, which wasn't that great, so this was a brilliant surprise.

A: Looks average, very little lacing and not much head.

S: A little bit of biscuit, lots of toast, a little bit of yeast.

T: Wish I could do this justice but as Vienna lagers/American ambers go this is among the best you'll ever find. A brilliant tasty malt up front and just the slightest hint of bitter fruit to go with it.

M: Great level of carbonation, just right, although it's a little bit thin (thinner than Sam Adams, for example.)

I can't get over how brilliant this tasted. I had it on tap at a bar because it was cheap and ended up hooked after my first glass. I really hope I can find it back home away from Louisiana. (789 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Amber color, clear. Good amount of carbonation rising. Small frothy head.

Aroma:
Very mild, malty, some toasted and caramel.

Taste:
Very rich, sweet, biscuity, toasted, caramel, buttery. Hop bitterness is very mild, earthy-spice. Finish is crisp, yet pretty dry. Body is light towards medium, crisp, clean, slight dryness, nice carbonation.

Overall:
Outstanding beer. (382 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice crystal copper color with a smallish tan head that runs away quickly and leaves no lace. Husky, toasty malt is big in the aroma of this one and dominates over all else. The huge toastiness of this brew carries over into the taste as the brew gets so much towards the toasty end of the malt spectrum that it almost turns smoky. The toasty aspects of the malt balancenicely because of the lack of a real sweet malt quality and a bit of hops that can be detected in the background that do just enough. The great toasty malt qualites of this brew leave it surprisingly crisp for this style and help to make it awesomely drinkable. This would certainly make on hell of a session beer if I could only get it in six packs in my area. (744 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +28.7%

I was introduced to the Abita product on my first trip to NOLA. I was impressed. This is a very good product that accompanies the NOLA cuisine quite well. The pour, aroma, taste and after glow are excellent. (207 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

I grew up in New Orleans and this became our "offical" beer before "micro-brews" became a word :)
It's a great "lighter" beer that you can drink all day in the smoldering LA heat. A nice caramel malt flavor. I've had it both in the bottle and on tap for many years, but this in one that I actually drink straight from the bottle (gasp). Flavorful AND refershing, a great combo! (378 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

I was expecting this dark amber color, but got a light orangey color instead. Big frothy very light tan colored head. The head died out after a few short minutes to a laceing that stood the whole time. Smell was very strange to me. I got citrus, burned malts, and burned nuts. It was very weird how it went in stages. The taste was strange too. First, there was no taste at all, almost watery. Then it went to a short burst of light citrus mixed with wheat. Finally, it went to the strange taste of burned malts/nuts. The complexity of it was shear brilliance to me, thus the high score. The mouthfeel was creamy and bubbly all at once. This was another one of those great beers to sit and drink for a while. I wouldn;t want to spend my Fall nights any other way. (763 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Working at one of the countries largest liquor stores, Abita tends to be a brewery that a lot of folks look past, but that actually have some great brews that taste beyond better than some higher priced breweries.

~Appearance was as solid as any Amber lager can get, good hue and shade of amber and caramel. Nice egg white head to top it off.

~Aromas of pale and caramel malts followed by light fruit.

~Taste was smooth, silky, mild carbination, pleanest bitterness and very easy drinking. Right on par with the smell. The spring water they brew with really makes it.

~Overall, great Amber. Only runs you about 7 dollars for 6, or around 13 for 12. A great session bier that goes phenominaly with spicy gumbo and shrimp; really brings out the seafood and vegetable tastes. (776 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +26%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured this Vienna Lager from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a clear amber color, produced a nice off white head, decent retention and left behind excellent lacing. The aroma consisted of toasted and caramel malt. Medium in body, a foundation of malted grain, hints of caramel and some spicy hops. Overall, very nice example of the style. (348 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a very pretty amber/mahogany color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Nice and malty up front, giving off notes of freshly baked pretzels or French baguettes. I get some notes of brown sugar and black pepper, as well as some floral notes of clover and hops.

Taste: Very good! Tons of malt up front, with notes of freshly baked bread, followed by some caramel and brown sugar-like sweetness, black pepper, a touch of orange and finished by some beautifully balanced hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 4.5%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an excellent amber/Munich/Vienna lager! Malty, sweet, slightly hoppy, beautifully balanced. Highly recommended! (980 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Sampled this evening on 9/20/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a tulip glass.

Pours a pretty amber in color with close to a 1-finger foamy white head that settles down to a thin layer on top. Some spotty lacing is seen. The aroma is very nice and consists of caramel malts and yeast, like freshly baked french bread. The taste is pretty much the same with good malts and the bread flavor. Very smooth and tasty. Goes down very easy with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all. Medium bodied with perfect carbonation. Really liked this one as well as other brews from them. (612 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +24.6%

I tried this beer for the first time today and I was pleasantly surprised.

I poured it into a pint glass and the appearance is a transparent amber color. There is a small head that leaves little lace.

The smell is breathtaking. It's really amazing and may be my favorite part of the beer. I just sat there and sniffed it for a few minutes before I even took a sip. There's a toasted bread scent and it's just wonderful.

The taste is very good and it goes down extremely smoothly. This is a wonderful Munich style lager and I would highly recommend it to anyone. (564 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Abita makes some delicious brews and this is definitely one of them. Poured a nice dark amber color with a nice head that lasted a few minutes. Smell was nice and clean with some hints of hops and grains. First taste was crisp and clean, I really noticed the grain taste in this beer, normally I'm not a grain kind of guy, sometimes reminds me of crappy beers but I really enjoy it in this beer. Finish was also full of grain for me with a little hop and a hint of caramel type flavor. Really enjoyed this one. This is my first review! Hope I did this beer justice. (565 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with twist-off cap into a mug.

Pours crystal clear orange-amber hue, giving rise to a slightly off-white cap of rocky foam that fades slowly and leaves nice thick rings of lace along the walls of the glass.

Smells of slightly sweet toffeeish malt and light herbaceous hops. Not much else is detected in the nose.

Medium-bodied and crisp on the palate, with a front of sweet caramel malts and slight notes of toasty biscuit, middling with a light hit of slightly bitter, herbal hops, and finishing a little sweet and dry, calling for another quaff.

Nicely drinkable, perfectly balanced and a fine representation of the style, which is quite a nice accomplishment for a year-round brew. Thanks to Abita, it's Oktoberfest all year long. (771 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Well abita has done it again with another solid session beer. Pours a nice looking amber color with a good ammount of pleasing carbonation, the small head disappears quite quickly. There is a pleasing aroma with it as well i just don't know how to describe it. Its a nice smooth malty brew you can enjoy all night. A very solid offering in my opinion. (351 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Has a nice clean golden amber color. Smells nice and malty, and of roasted almonds. Taste is terrific. Creamy,malty, nutty, maybe a little caramel. A really great taste. A light smooth and creamy mouthfeel.
I will buy this beer again, and again. This is a great American beer. This was a vey good surprise. I just picked this up one day, never having even heard of it. My brother and I both were in awe over this one and we usually have different taste in beers. (464 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +23.4%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz brown short with no freshness date.

A: Clear amber orange with a thin off white head and minimal lacing.

S: Delicate sweet malt, both toasted and caramel in the smell.

T&M: Crisp, medium bodied. Light carbonation. Nice malty taste that is well balanced with a mild spicy hop bitterness.

Probably the best Abita brew I've tried.

Notes: This brew still holds its ground as a classic among the many "micro brews", a down right tasty lager. (499 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a clear carbonated amber, white head that dissapates pretty quickly to a thin top on the beer. Initiall taste is pretty malty, and the aftertaste is a refreshing bitter maltiness.

The mouthfeel is great! Incredibly smooth with carbonation thats smooth and not at all abrasive.

I got a six pack of this down in Baton Rouge, and I'm glad to be using it as the first part of a no-doubt long New Years Eve session of beer drinking! (439 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz., “best if consumed before” notched 5 12.
Pours a clear, well what do you know, Amber color with a modest head of off white bubbles. Aroma is almost all sweet caramel candy with just a hint of hops. Taste is somewhat surprising. Nice and roasty. I expected this to be too sweet from the nose. The caramel is still there, but a healthy dose of toasty Victory or Biscuit malt offsets it. Very nice. Aftertaste is mildly bitter and does not linger. Medium body. Great beer. (479 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +22.5%

A - Very nice amber/copper body with a quick-lived medium tan head. Low to moderate carbonation is evident.

S - Sweet molasses and an edge of cherry.

T - There's an English hop in this brew that I wasn't expecting. Interestingly enough this brew has a firm malt base below that hop accent. It's rather interesting. There are sweet malty flavors throughout as well as what I would normally note as a kind of deep bock flavor.

M - The interesting combination of malt and hops here create a thick feel to the brew. It does very well in that aspect.

~ This is a unique amber brew. That being said I have to admit it is also one of the better ambers I've had. I think Abita has a solid foundation down in Louisiana. Especially since this brew seems to be one of the brewery's staples. (My thanks go out to Drizzam for sharing.) (827 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

I feel as though The CANQuest (TM) is once more gaining traction! A recent visit to Pinocchio's netted some Abita CANs and I am anxious to give them a try.

I CAN remember one industry professional telling me that "Ambers are dead." By Gar, I hope not! Ambers take many forms and knowing how difficult it CAN be to work with a lager yeast, I am duly impressed that this is not a red ale. I got a rocky finger of tawny head off of my pour and it hung around as long as it could in the humidity of the evening. Color was a beautiful orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very malty, but also very clean. Mouthfeel was full, nearly thick and the malty sweetness reminded me of hot cereal, oatmeal or cream of wheat. Finish was semi-sweet, sweet, but not cloying by any means. It was very pleasant and would be a nice beer to have in the cooler on a hot day or during a visit to the beach. (896 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

12 oz. bottle.

Marzen or Vienna? Well, whichever it is, I like this lager. And I'm more of an ale guy overall.

This copper/amber lager has a pleasant, malty aroma and is malt-forward on the palate, with just enough hops coming through to keep it from being sweet to taste.

It feels light in mouthfeel. A great hot weather beer without having to go to the usual pale lager, and not suprising coming from Louisiana.

I find it to be well balanced and quite enjoyable to quaff. This is an easy drinker and a very good one for introducing macro-swillers to the world of craft brews. (582 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Amber from Abita Brewing Co.