Amber - Abita Brewing Co.

AmberAmber

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.50% ABV

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amber Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer pours a dark orange with a strong head. It goes down easy and leaves a nice lacing on the glass..

The smell is very malty with a hint of hops.

The taste is very malty with a hint of hops and maybe some yeast.

I also had this beer on tap. I must say that having it from a keg is nicer than the bottle. I hope that I get stuck in NO for a few weeks again so that I can get it on tap.

Tang07, Feb 05, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance – This one is a brownish-orange in color with a wonderful head that frothed up nicely. It showed good retention and left some nice lacing on the inside of my Great Lakes Brewing glass.

Smell – The toasted malts and ample caramel were evenly balanced. There was a light biscuit in there along with a touch of citrus hops.

Taste – It tastes a lot like it smells. The toasty malts and caramel make this one. The hops that I thought I smelled are basically gone, which is all right considering the style. I enjoyed the very light biscuit flavor that I got out of this one.

Mouthfeel – This Märzen is light to medium-bodied with a nice balance.

Drinkability – This was good on an unseasonably cold winter night in Seattle so I could only imagine what it’s like on a hot Louisiana day.

Comments – Thanks to BigLove for sending me this above-par offering of a nice German Märzen.

RoyalT, Jan 12, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

This is a good winter beer. It is a little on the sweet side but not oppressively so. Has a nice copper color and decent head and lacing. Just enough of a hop presence to offset the carmel malts that likely give it much of its sweetness and color. The yeast gives it a nice fruity/doughy taste and aroma. A decent beer. Not Abita's best IMHO, but a good one none the less.

Citadel82, Dec 20, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

The color was betwixt gold and brown. What hit me most on this beer was the head. A silky texture that made me think it was nitro fed.

The nose was a combination of sweet and grassy. I could not discern the strongest taste attribute. The flavor almost disappeared into a soft finish.

On the plus side, it would be very drinkable on a sticky Louisiana night.

brewQ, Dec 17, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

Who'da thunk it? Abita Amber isn't an amber ale at all, but an Oktoberfest. At least it's the right season for it. Pumpkin orange with amber edges capped with a pale orangish ecru head that is whipped creamy, decently persistent and sticky enough to lay down a high collar of lace.

The nose is a step down from the appearance. It's moderately toasted caramel malty, but it isn't bold enough or multi-faceted enough to suit me. The flavor isn't a whole lot better. It's malt-dominant (natch) with a lackluster toasted caramel flavor and... not much else. The body is medium for the style and is about as generic as the aroma and the flavor.

Abita Amber is a garden-variety Oktoberfest that makes no horrible missteps, but neither does it impress. It's drinkable as long as one is otherwise engaged and doesn't want to bother with anything even remotely interesting. I drink for flavor though, and by that standard this beer falls noticeably short.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 05, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

12 oz. short bottle, poured a clear amber color, with a nice two fingers of foam, off-white head of tiny bubbles. Head faded before too long, but remained a thin layer over the top. Toasted malts are heavy in the aroma, with a tiny hint of caramel hidden in there as well.

Toasted malt shows up again in the taste, strong and very prevalent. Clean and crisp to the mouth, seemed a bit thin towards the end, though.

A very drinkable beer. I didn't know it was a Marzen, but somewhat appropriate that I picked it up now. Tasty, and not too heavy. Easily a session beer.

Rio, Oct 02, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

This is my second tasting of Abita beer and it's done very well not to offend me. However, it's not an earth-shattering, "WOW THIS IS GREAT BEER" kinda drink.

It poured an uneventful amber with a slight head and lace. But this is where it gets weird. The funky smell reminded me of the aroma that arises from the bowels of a pumpkin at Halloween...is that rotting squash I smell?

Fortunately, the taste was nothing like the smell. If there were ever to be a "beer candy", this would be the taste. It reminded me of a mild beer with rock candy dissolved in it!

The mouthfeel was as uneventful as the color but I found it very easy to drink. I felt an odd burning sensation in my diaphram after I drank it, but that could be the pizza from earlier.

Guinness4me, Sep 20, 2004

Pours a clear amber colored beer.

Smell is toasted grain and a faint coffee scent.

Taste is a little sweet with lots of toasted grain flavor. There must be a fair amount roasted barley in this. There is a faint chocolate taste in there.

Mouthfeel is good.

A nice tasty beer has a nice full flavor.

Zorro, Aug 30, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

One inch of fizzy, foamy, cream-colored head. Clear, clear, copper-amber beer. Tiny spots of lacing. Peanuts in the nose and front with some tangy caramel. Tangy, malty, sweet middle and a peanutty, bitter finish with a little fruit and a little alcohol. It's ok. Typical Abita peanuts, some decent caramel malt that's really quite sweet. But it's not a great beer.

kbub6f, Aug 29, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer is available locally both in the bottle or on tap. The color is a clear honey amber. This is not a heavy ale and is highly drinkable on a hot summer day. Nothing truly distinctive or enjoyable about the aroma. Has reasonable body for this type of beer. Taste is slightly sweet and malty, little hops note. Beer finishes dry with a slight earthy aftertaste that some may find to be offputing. I have noted that the quality is slightly variable or perhaps it is me, but this can be a really enjoyable beer or not so enjoyable. It is a decent alternative to the mass market beers when eating spicy foods and on hot days. Like most beers it is almost always better on tap than in the bottle.

ghuston, Aug 01, 2004
3.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Clear, coppery amber in hue, the color is attractive but a lack of animation in such a translucent beer is sad. A slightly off-white head of a half finger topped off the beer; the head retention was fair as it faded quickly to a weak cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty and it didn’t cling well. The nose is malty but not domineering, somewhat sweet with caramel hints, toasty, earthy at the back. The potency is modest and the aromas are simplistic. It does suggestion German origins but I don’t know if I’d call it a true Märzen. Inviting by default really. Well, the nose didn’t lie. It tastes as simplistic as the bouquet indicated. There is no begin or middle or end, taste-wise. Everything is lumped as one. It is malty sweet with a fair amount of caramel. Pleasantly earthy too, from the hops I assume, mildly bitter. Again, this beer shows its German roots. The more I drank the more biscuity and dry it became. The palate is respectable; while it is plenty tasty it is also very straightforward. Some of this can be expected, as the style dictates. I would image this would be a good beer for beginners, i.e., a crossover beer. The carbonation was a little too stiff and I thought that really hurt the mouthfeel. It was too fizzy, especially considering the smallish frame, medium/medium-light in body. I will say this beer is plenty drinkable, I am sure it would be easy to kill a six-pack and I bet it would work nicely with BBQ dishes. It is not available locally so, thanks to Morris729 for the bottle!

bditty187, Jul 20, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -17.4%

A little hazier than their other "cold-filtered" brews. Pours out to a chill haze light caramel...lighter than I would expect for an amber. Forms a small white head with minimal retention and no lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is interesting...begins with an odd touch of smoked malt and cow manure littered pasture, followed by the milk left after a bowl of sugar (ahem..."honey")-smacks cereal. Toasty and odd. No hop aroma going on here. Mouthfeel is thin like cola, and hey, it's cold-filtered..inappropriately light-bodied. Taste is much like the aroma...malts are not predominate, but neither are hops...toasty, toasty, with an odd sassafras and cola note too. Vienna malt in there? This is bizarre stuff. Finish is semi-dry. Very light woodsy bitterness.

A very odd brew. Not a good amber. Weak, artificial, and unimpressive. Pass on this crossover brew and stick with yer Michelob dark.

Mitchster, Jul 06, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

I drank directly from the short stubby bottle, so my impression of the appearance is only average. For an amber this brew was very light and crisp, I am guessing that is due to the spring water. It was quite carbonated too. All in all it tasted good and clean and did not leave much of an after taste.

Not my favorite for an amber, but it was worth the try.

stevebold1, Jun 02, 2004
2.42/5  rDev -29.9%

12oz brown bottle. Freshness date notched on the back label.
It pours an orange-hued amber with a fast dissipating white head.
It smells of hay and sweet malt.
The malt body is on the sweet side, but otherwise sort of bland and flavorless, with just a touch of grassy notes.
The hops are as one with the fizzy effervescence. Am I actually tasting seltzer? A hint of lemony bitterness is noticed with considerable concentration.
This is what I would call a "Why Bother?" beer. Why did they bother brewing something so bland? And why bother drinking it?

BeerResearcher, May 13, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -15.9%

Shadowed golden, hinting at amber. The head is offwhite, and whittles quickly to a skim, then endures.
Weakened toasted caramel on the nose. Coupled with a universal sense of dilutedness.
Similiar in the mouth. Brown sugar and caramel up front, all heavily sweet and almost gooey. It flips and goes toasted and dries considerably. Then it just vanishes. Clean and vacant remainder with just splashes of nondescript hop bitterness.
Light bodied. Fizzy and hyperactive up front, before losing momentum and going lifeless in the later part.
This has "conversion" brew written all over it. Either that or "Yawwwnnn".

cokes, May 12, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Re-review 03/13/05:

Abita Amber was the 2nd review of mine since joining BA, since my tastes have grown I decided it was time for a update. First off, this beer is way better than the original review indicates. The appearannce is a nice caramel amber color with an average head. Aroma is biscuity sweet with a hint of grain. Taste is malty, sweet, but not too sweet. A medium bodied grain taste is noted too. This is very tasty stuff, my tastes sure have grown since I first reviewed Abita Amber. This is something I would consider for sessions.

Original Review 5/08/04:

Maybe this isn't my style of beer or something, but I didn't like this beer as much as previous voting by other AB members would indicate. The malty, semi-sweet after taste slightly turns me off. I do love the healthy appearance of the beer and I am glad to support a semi-local brewery. I will definently be trying other Abita products in the near future.

A-3.5
S-2.5
T-2.5
M.F-2.5
Dr-3

Gagnonsux, May 08, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

Abita Amber is easy to come by anywhere in New Orleans proper. If you can get it, try it on tap. I had it at the Abita Brew Pub in Abita Springs, and along Bourbon Street. I'm not sure what hops they use, but would call this an Americanized version of the Oktoberfest style. It's a malty, sweet, amber beer (as it should be). This is one I could, and did, drink a lot of.

schoolcb, May 02, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -16.5%

Little brown pug bottle with the "Best if consumed before 6/27" notches on the back label that explains ABITA was founded in 1986.

Foamy pour with a tall beige 1” head topping off a champagne like cascade flow of bubbles. Deep orange golden clear pour, retaining a spongy tight ½ “ head after settling.

Basic malted nose is the only light scent detectable.

Tastes like a sweet caramel malty rye flavored brew, with ever-so-slight-slight hop oil in the Spring Water finish. A twinge of an aftertaste along the lines of a buttery carrot cake if you can imagine.

ABITA Amber looks fizzle, but goes back easily with a light body.

Fairly drinkable, but a little thin, and wheat-grain like followed by Spring Water in the finish. A generous 3/5 score.

Last swigs: Part of a $30 sampler. BA brownie points for 2 x 12 sampler boxed like TROEGS and others offer. ABITA’s sampler is a nice grab for a decent variety. Personally ABITA might benefit by being a little less filtered to bring out some Earthy pizzazz.

Beer is good. Happy Nawlins Beering.

blitheringidiot, Apr 29, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

This Louisiana brew pours a clear, honey gold body, with a two finger, ivory head that falls into a collar of lace almost immediately. Minimal patch lace is left on the glass.

Aroma doesn't impress, and consists of mild, caramel malt and a hint of Euroskunk hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has moderate carbonation.

Caramel malt and grassy hops provide the taste in this balanced ale. Not very complex, and a watered down character emerges halfway through. It's a smooth drinking ale, and finishes clean.

This is pretty much an average, American amber ale, as opposed to a Marzen. Stick to Abita's Turbodog. It's far better.

merlin48, Apr 25, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

This stuff is omnipresent in New Orleans. It's a great old standby in this town. I wish the establishments near me would carry the local stuff as reliably. Pours a dark amber color with a beige head that lingers and leaves a fine cap and thick lace around the glass. Aroma is a chewy, biscuity, malt smell, and the flavor matches it fairly well. A smooth and creamy mouthfeel makes this one easy to sip for hours. Very tasty, well-balanced, and easy to drink.

far333, Apr 22, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Head quickly dissipates, leaving a sheer tracing around the rim. Smells subtle but wonderful: bread, yeast. Taste -- altogether an It ale. Forward but balanced flavors of malt, caramel, and dried pears. Strangely, about two-thirds through comes a nice hoppy bite but it is quickly recaptured by the overall malt/caramel again to the finish. What I find especially charming in this beer is that it's big on flavor, but you can drink quite a bit, not often the case with beers that are so tasty that they demand your full attention, and that can be exhausting when you just want to hang.

marcellaproust, Apr 16, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -23.2%

Nice amber color, head was gone as soon as it poured and stayed as a light film. Slight scent of oranges, lemon rind. Very light tasting, slight bite in the aftertaste. Bit of citrus in there somewhere, grapefruit. Very light feeling and smooth, leaves that grapefruit rind taste. Good session beer.

shapudding, Apr 10, 2004
3.83/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle.
Pours a amberish orange with very little head, even with a hard pour. What little head there was, quickly dissapated.
Smell...malty, some caramel.
Taste...biscuits, honey, fruit preserves...jeez it's like a country breakfast without the grits. My first taste, was somewhat aversive, but the second, it's starting to grow on me. Very sweet with a little bitterness. Very nice.
This is a nice lager, very refreshing and certainly more than I expected. I will have this again.

LuckySevens82, Apr 07, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer poured a clear amber with a firm, nice white head that retained its thickness for a long time. A mild swirling is all that it took to bring the head back to life. This was truly the best part of the beer. The aroma consisted only of malt. It was subtle and I could not detect the hops. The more I drank of this glass and swirled its contents, the more I enjoyed the maltiness of the brew. The taste began a little chocolaty and finished a little sweeter than I would have liked. There was a little bitterness but no hop flavor. The balance of this entire beer is toward the malt so follows style. The mouthfeel was a little light for my preference. It needed to be a little more full. The carbonation did play a slight bit with my tongue and made up for a lack of body. When asked about Abita, my response has always been, they make a mighty fine root beer. I will have to include their amber as a good beer. I would recommend this as a good session beer.

LarryKemp, Apr 04, 2004

12oz bottle from a beer exchange with a friend at the holidays.

Poured into a pint glass, a 1/2 inch head formed, which retreated to a layer of foam over the slightly cloudy amber brew. Malty, yeasty nose, reminds me of bread. Good, full mouthful of malts, with hops that complement and do not detract from the grain flavor. This one sort of caught me by surprise, wasn't expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did.

ppoitras, Mar 25, 2004
Amber from Abita Brewing Co.