Amber - Abita Brewing Co.

AmberAmber

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-08-2001

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amber Alström Bros
Reviews: 499 | Hads: 1,481
3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

12oz bottle from a beer exchange with a friend at the holidays.

Poured into a pint glass, a 1/2 inch head formed, which retreated to a layer of foam over the slightly cloudy amber brew. Malty, yeasty nose, reminds me of bread. Good, full mouthful of malts, with hops that complement and do not detract from the grain flavor. This one sort of caught me by surprise, wasn't expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did. (420 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours an interesting shade of amber that is almost tan with a loose head of foam that settles rather quickly. Slgiht bready aroma and flavor. Nice delicate toasted malt flavors. Finishes dry. The mouthfeel is fairly light. This is a rather delicate ale. A very balanced drinkable beer that goes well with food. I like the toasted malt flavor and the dryness of this brew. It's not that exciting, but has some nice delicate flavors, and is quite clean. I would drink this again when I am in the mood for a lighter beer. (518 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer is a medium amber color, tinged slightly to the golden side and topped with a monstrous head that won't quit. Upon filling the pint, he head proceeded to froth over, continuing to build for several minutes even after I sipped off the foam on top. It settles into a thick layer, about half an inch deep, although it doesn't leave any lacework.
The aroma is mainly a sweetish toasty malt, with a bit of a caramel undertone. Mild butteriness, with some mild, unassuming fruity esters, similar to juicyfruit gum. Not a whole lot of hops, just a tissue-thin herbal/floral coating over the malt.
The flavor is fairly one dimensional, with a toasty sweet malt carrying all the way through, with little interruption. Some weak fruity esters in the middle, adding a light pear-like wash through to the finish. A bit dextrinous, with a touch of caramel and biscuit flavors in the finish, melding with a vague undercurrent of herbal and floral hop flavor. Very low bittering, but reasonably balanced towards the malty side. Medium bodied, with an inoffensive, slightly chewy mouthfeel carried by moderate, featureless carbonation.
Not a brew with a whole lot of depth. Nothing I'd go out and buy in a sixer, but something decent for a pint at the pub. Probably more geared towards folks that don't seek out beer to kick their asses with, just something to enjoy while hanging out with friends. A pint for when you don't really want to concentrate on your beer, and just enjoy yourself in some company. (1,502 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Abita Amber is another beer from those Louisiana boys down there in Abita Springs, LA. They're probably more recognizable as the brewers of Turbo Dog, but their Amber lager is a darker lager that serves pretty good as a thirst-quenching beverage. Although Turbo Dog is an ale, there are a few comparisons between the two, mostly the dark color and the decent maltiness put into each one.

Abita Amber pours an amber/copper color with a decent off-white head that retains fairly well but leaves no lacing. The smell was cleaner than expected with just a mild grainy, toasty caramel malt smell. The mouthfeel was a bit thinner than expected, as well as slightly more fizzy than I would have guessed. A nutty caramel malt taste is the main flavor in this brew. Some slight buttery/toffee notes make their presence known but the hoppiness was only moderate and lended a slight dryness in the finish. The malts are the centerpiece here. Some toasty grain notes, some butteriness, and a slight dryness show up in the aftertaste., and this beer finishes out with a little alcoholic warmth.

This is a fairly average beer as it is a bit lighter bodied than anticipated, but the flavors in this beer are pretty good and it is quite drinkable (I wouldn't mind having a few of these on a hot day). Not as memorable as Turbo Dog, but good nonetheless. (1,343 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -7.7%

Clear copper/orange hue with a thin off white head. Floral hops and caramel malt in the aroma.
The taste is smooth caramel and base malt. Instead of beefing up the malt to get sweetness, its as if the hops are restrained resulting in the same effect but lacking. Flavor of Portuguese Sweet Bread (if youve ever had it) comes though, which is a hint of light fluffy breadiness. The finish has a touch of hop "snap" which quickly fades and then is extremely clean with no residual flavors left over.

This is one of those beers I enjoyed but looses points because its not to style. If its a marzen it needs more malt. If its an amber it needs more hops and an ale yeast. Its like an American Amber Ale with a lager yeast. That being said, its very refreshing and reminds me of some of my other favorite amber ales but with a cleaner finish. (841 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a dull amber color with a medium head. The head didn't last long after the first swallow. Very little lacing. The aroma was mellow with sweetness and bitterness detectable. The flavor is simple, malt sweetness and some bitterness, but a faint caramel tone is detectable as you swallow.

This is a light-medium bodied beer and carbonation levels were good. The aftertaste was fairly clean. There is nothing that really sticks out to make this anything other than an average beer. (487 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a light amber color with a thick white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a slight malty scent with nutty undertones and a breadlike finish. The taste is good. It has a bit of malty flavor with a nutty accent. It finishes clean, but with a little watery aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with good carbonation. The beer drinks well; a good sessions ale. (428 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Nice deep amber color with a head that faded quickly. The initial taste that hits your mouth is very watered down but the flavor intensifies as it heads down your throat. The finish was pretty dry but the mouthfeel is very balanced. Personally, I enjoy a nice amber and this one, though not my favorite, is we rounded and would satisfy all types of beer drinkers. (363 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer is becoming a favorite of mine.

It pours a dark golden color with a thin head that gives way to a nice lace.

The smell is faint, but pleasant, hinting of the balanced flavor to come.

The taste is a nice balance with the malt and the hop flavors mixing in and out on the tongue and leaving a nice carmelly flavor on the way down.

Mouthfeel is average, not much to say one way or the other, except, I guess it was smooth.

I have found this beer to by highly drinkable with pizza, burgers and most anything else, or just while watching a game on TV. (571 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

I was expecting this dark amber color, but got a light orangey color instead. Big frothy very light tan colored head. The head died out after a few short minutes to a laceing that stood the whole time. Smell was very strange to me. I got citrus, burned malts, and burned nuts. It was very weird how it went in stages. The taste was strange too. First, there was no taste at all, almost watery. Then it went to a short burst of light citrus mixed with wheat. Finally, it went to the strange taste of burned malts/nuts. The complexity of it was shear brilliance to me, thus the high score. The mouthfeel was creamy and bubbly all at once. This was another one of those great beers to sit and drink for a while. I wouldn;t want to spend my Fall nights any other way. (763 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

I had this beer many years ago but needed to refresh my memory of it so that I could write a review. Grabbed a bottle at Grapevine Market the other day. Abita is one of the more respected regional breweries in Louisiana. They brew several different beers, and the Amber is one of their more popular offerings. It's widely available in Texas and throughout most of the deep Southern states.

Poured smooth...no real head to speak of, and what did appear quickly faded. Wonderful aroma, though. It smelled great, malty and full of character.

The taste didn't live up to the nose, though. This sample had a bit of a bite to it. I let it sit for a few minutes, hoping that it would mellow out a little, but no such luck. It stayed bitter the whole way down. It had a nice malty character somewhere in the background, but the harshness really ruined the whole presentation. I also got a bitter aftertaste that stuck with me for a LONG time after I had finished the beer.

Mouthfeel was ok. Drinkability was average at best. I would have had a hard time throwing back more than a couple of these at one sitting. I really wanted to put this down and grab something smoother, like a Spaten Oktoberfest, to wash out the clingy harshness of this beer. Bad sample? Maybe. Smelled pretty fresh, though.

I was slightly disappointed. I really wanted this beer to be better than it was. I'd like to try it again, just to see if I maybe got my hands on a bad bottle. For now, I'll move on and try some of Abita's other brews. (1,519 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An amber color, if a touch light. A touch hazy. The aroma is fairly weak. There are hints of malt to the nose, but not much else. A bit of malt sweetness to the taste, but not much else. Actually a hint of sourness in the aftertaste. Low carbonation and a medium-light body make this drinkable, but I'll stay with Yuengling as my choice for this type of beer. Also I have now had it on tap. No real difference. Fizzy head that goes away quickly is the only major difference in the two. (485 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

Not too bad. Just another megabrewed dark beer, kinda like my first Schlitz Dark. Short head actually hangs around a little while. Slightly caramelly taste with hint of corn. I got this in New Orleans in a "to go" cup to wash out the taste of a $1.50 Skyy Blue (I swear they must be making these with NutraSweet!), so it filled a need. The sad thing is, in the touristy French Quarter, this is the closest you're going to come to finding a microbrew on tap. All else is just Bud, Bud Light... (492 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -16.9%

Had this one on tap at the local pub. It pours a light amber color with a decent sized head and quite a bit of lacing on the glass. The aroma was very weak, but a little maltiness was present. The flavor seemed a bit weak to me as well. Slightly sweet tasting, but rather boring. The aftertaste is really dry. There is a bite in the flavor that did not seem to be caused by the alcohol, maybe it was just a bad pitcher. (419 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with no "bottled on" or "best by" date; plenty of "brewed with pure spring water" reminders, though; who cares, give me LA tap and a friggin' "best by" date; purchased as part of a sampler pack from the West LA Whole Foods down on National and Barrington ($12.99/10).

Appearance: Pours a relatively clear, pale amber with a nice, foamy, two-fingered head; very good retention and lacing.

Aroma: Oddly sweet; Munich type malts, to be sure, but I seem to be picking up a fair amount of caramely Crystal malt as well.

Taste: Not nearly as sweet as its aroma; toasty Munich/Vienna malt profile actually comes off as somewhat thin for the style; offputting, woody, soapy type hop flavor rears its head in the finish. Medium bodied with a fairly creamy mouthfeel.

Notes: Largely forgettable. (830 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

Amber reddish beer that is very smooth.. Low alcohol content makes this a very drinkable beer.. as well as a nice malt balance.. sweet in the nose taste of caramel and hops in the glass as this beer reaches its highest point at the end of the bottle. Nice light amber beer that is thirst quenching and good for a beginning beer for any converts to micros. (355 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When I poured this beer into my glass, it poured with a quick dissolving white head.There was fizzy carbonation observed with this beer. The hue of this beer is amber.There was no lacing on the sides of my glass with this beer. This beer in my opinion has a bit of a sour taste to it that I did not care for. (308 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at the Flying Saucer, Raleigh, NC.

This beer came to me with a nice amber color and an average sized head which lasted for almost half of the beer. It was a smooth beer that went down well. The aroma didn't really stand out to me, but the flavors were present and created a nice mouthfeel. The drinkability of this beer was great! (340 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -2.1%

A funny story goes along with my first try of this amber. My first night visiting New O'rleans. We are at the Red Fish Grill. The waitress asks about drinks. I ask about beers. She says what sounds like to me, "a bitta beer." I say, "what?" "A bitta beer." "Say again." "A bitta beer." "Okay bring me one." Abita Amber! is what she was saying. Creole accents get Californians on their first visit to New O'rleans every time.

A good amber beer. It pours with a clear orange color. The head is beige and was an inch and a quarter tall. The beer did have a heavy amount of carbonation.

The taste was mild with a nice quiet floral quality. It does go well with a meal. It will not over power the food. I think it will complement BBQ, catfish, whitefish and many other dishes. We all know there is no limit to food in New O'rleans.

If you are an amber drinker I say give this one a try. It has simple but tasteful qualities. (930 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -13.6%

This brew poured a large head of fie to large sized off white bubbles that soon disappeared. It had a nice transparent amber color with no carbonation evident. It had a very mild malt aroma. Now the real interesting part of this review is the brew's flavor. It is smooth with a complex flavor of many interesting notes. There's nut, malt, spice, caramel, and butter in the flavor. (380 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%

Brewed and bottled with pure spring water

This beer poured into the glass orange/brown in color that was crystal clear and well carbonated. It produced a thick, foamy and creamy head that was beige in color. Lace was stretched inside the glass that was creamy and sheety in places and spotty and non-existent in others. The aromas that came from the glass were fairly simply stated, malts (toasted and sweet), caramel, and a hint of hops (slight). The tastes were also simple in nature, light floral and herb hops, sweet malt and toasted malt, and a leafy dryness near the end. It had a medium to light medium body. Over all it was crisp and light, malt was the lead ingredient. It was watery and quenched my thirst. Not the greatest beer I have had (personally and according to style) but it was above average. A good beer for those who want to try the craft beer experience but are used to the macro beer world. (916 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

This is a stand-by at my house. My in-laws live near Abita and bring it to me when they come here, or have it at their house when I go there. They could get better beer for me, but I'm not gonna complain about it, because they could do a whole lot worse. They know I like to visit the brewery when I can so I guess they think its my favorite. Anyway....12 oz brown twist-off is the only way to get it, other than out of a tap. This is Abita's most popular, and I think a very good representative of the style. It pours am amber color without much head. If you really try you could end up with none, pour hard and what you get won't last very long. The aroma is sweet, roasted malts..toffee/caramel. Medium body, smooth mouthfeel. They didn't forget the hops, as there is some bitterness, but not much. If I have any complaint its that there seems to be a slight sourness in the finish. I think its a good beer to use to convert your BMC friends to something better, because it certainly has a lot more character than the similarly priced American lagers sitting next to it at the grocery store. (1,094 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

I recently purchased a six-pack of this and the golden at the Zachary, LA Winn-Dixie when I couldn't find any other micros. Sadly my family asked if it was an import and the brewery is literally 45 minutes from their house. But that has nothing to do with the beer.

The Abita pours a deep amber to a rich, dark copper color that is slightly cloudy with a fair to mid-sized head that faded with medium lacing.

The nose has aromas of sweet malt with hints of caramel.

This amber is very crisp and clean that is glides smoothly across the palette and down the throat with a very respectable medium body. It tastes of sweet toasty malt and hints of caramel and toasted rolls with just enough hops to give a bitter balance. The taste holds up well against a spicy cajun crawfish boil and helps put out the fires while still giving flavor.

I don't know if the use of the natural spring water or the quality ingredients, but this was a great beer.

This is a nearly text book example of an amber lager in my opinion with freshness dates on the package and a great ?conversion? beer at around $4.75-$5 a six pack.

I rated this amber so high based on the adherence to the style and the taste relative to what an amber should be. There are much better tasting beers IMHO per my tastes, but as for an amber I haven't found much better. (1,343 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +15.1%

A good easy drinking beer for all occasions. Not perfect but enjoyable. This beer must be great on draft. Out of the bottle it pours to a very thin white head and orange/amber color. Aroma is predominantly pale malt and a bit of carapils and/or Munich malt witha bit of crystal (caramel) malt thrown in. The taste confirms the aroma's suggestion: pale maltiness fortified with a little Munich and or some other darker carmelized malts. Mouthfeel is smooth and bubbly. Very quaffable stuff. I'll have another. (508 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

This must have been an out of date bottle because it was flat and didn't raise a head. I had a sense of a fine beer that was overaged. The look was a cloudy bright copper with virtually no head or lacing. The flavor seemed good despite the flatness of the mouthfeel. Nice aroma of caramel malt with a hop edge. Nicely balanced flavors seem to blend malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Dry finish. Sure would like to have one fresh on tap. (437 characters)

Amber from Abita Brewing Co.