Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Reviews: 976 | Hads: 2,688
3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To me, most brown ales are diet porters. You can taste the sweet caramel and chocolate malts up against the very well balanced Willamette hops. However, it is a bit watery; And I reiterated throughout the night that if they made this into a porter it would've been on the level of Founders Porter. There wasn't enough pop or continuous flavor on the palate to rank it very high. It's a beer with a lot of potential that's not made in the right style. (450 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked up while I was in Oregon earlier this month.
This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a smooth looking dark brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated fairly quickly. Lacing was messy and running all around.
The smell had rich sweet nuts, a nice woodiness, light caramel flavoring and some toffee running all around.
The taste was moderately sweet backed up by a smooth caramel and toffee blend. A nice aftertaste bleeds into a sweet nutty finish.
The mouthfeel had about a light to medium on the body with a nice sessionable smooth to semi-creamy sort of feel all around it.
Overall, as an English Brown ale, one can't knock it. I just want to "turbo" it down my gullet during the Autumn months (which is when I like brown ales the most). (798 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +32.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic glass

L - dark brown with good amount of foam, but quickly collapses

S - hints of chocolate and coffee with a malt background

T - chocolate all around, almost milk chocolate like Hershey's

F - very smooth and light. Really coats the mouth with chocolate

O - what a delicious brew! I've never ventured into brown ales before but have had Dunkels before. TB is pretty close but has that ale feel to it. Very good, you have to try it (471 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Foirth bottle from my Abita party pack. Pours a dark coca cola color into a pint glass. Thick cream head recedes quickly. Smells only of malt, heavy malt. Taste has a few notes of bitter hops but mostly just malt. Feel is a tad watery. Overall decent. Coukd have mirw flavor. Ill stick ti a nice stout for my dark bitter fix. (329 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Might have been a bad bottle but the one I had was almost completely flat, no carbonation. Tasted good, probably would have liked it a lot more with full carbonation. (166 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +34.4%

Appearance: slightly darker-than-khaki, frothy head that retains well. Dark, dark brown body, with brown hues at the bottom of the glass, but ruby hues from the middle to the top. Lots of thick lacing.

Aroma: Typical dark beer sweetness, with toasted malt undertones. Some noticeable hop presence. (Chocolate malts are detected as the beer warms.) A mild aroma.

Taste: dark, toasted and chocolate malts. The chocolate flavor is predominant, and builds into the middle of the flavor, where I am left with a hop presence that builds from the middle into the end. the aftertaste is reminiscent of toffee.

Mouthfeel: fluffy, and carbonated on the back end.

Finish: Dry. Tasty. (680 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18.2%

Darker version of a Newcastle, in my opinion. Smells of cereal, grains and malt. Hops aren't too present in the taste or smell, but they are there, faintly. Easy drinking. Smooth with a lingering taste. Not picking up much chocolate at all, but definitely toffee.

Not bad for the price, although nothing special. An easy session brew. (335 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A dark brown ale that has a good, mellow flavor. I might use this to deg-laze the pan when making a quality beef stew and then enjoy one with the same stew. I will have this again when the opportunity arises. (208 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Dark brown with ruby highlights, almost cola in colour. Light brown head is dense and has cling. Gobs of lacing down the sides.

S: Sweet malts in the aroma. Fruit cake, chocolate, coffee.

T: Flavor is the same as the aroma. Rich and smooth, full bodied with moderate carbonation. Gives you the impression of a dense loaf of bread with touches of chocolate and coffee.

AT: Dark Chocolate and Coffee at the end. (415 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3/10/15 Draft (The Laughing Man DC) - Very dark pour, nice tan head. Nice malt aroma with a hint of caramel. Strong harsh taste, chocolate toffee flavor taste. Liked this a lot. Texture decent carbonation, nice finish and decent kick. Very good beer. (250 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Abita Turbo dog
12 oz bottle poured into flying dog goblet

L: Dark brown to black. Good lacing. About dinner of head. Good head retention.

S: Sweet malt smell. Hints of chocolate and caramel.

T: Missing that umph. Light toffee taste.

F: Has a good mouth feel, a good body. (285 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had it. I liked it. I didn’t think it was over 6% alcohol. In fact this was my present from my fiance when she went to NOLA for a bachlorette party. Does this mean she got into trouble and is trying to make me forget about it by bringing me beer? (250 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

A fine, chewy brown ale. Toffee and molasses notes in here, along with some dried fruit. The body is fairly smooth, medium and creamy. Dry on the finish. (153 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Best by 2/12/15.

Color is opaque mahogany with an enormous frothy tan head. Retention was excellent with some semi-sticky lacing as the glass emptied. Smell was very nice - lots of toffee and some dark fruit and cocoa. Much more complex than I expected. Flavor is similar, with some hop bitterness on the palate and in the finish that adds to the aroma. Body is pretty light, with good carbonation. I found this very drinkable and enjoyable.

Overall, one of the better brown ales I've had. I'm not usually a big fan of the style, but I'd happily have another one of these. (630 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just had this beer for the first time and it is amazing! I have had Abita beers before and have liked them fine but this...this is something special. My favorite beer of all time is Alaskan Amber so, this isn't a huge derivation. Still, where can I find a keg of this? (272 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

There's a popular meet and greet watering hole near my house. The food is below average on a good day, but the drinks are excellent. Mrs. Obama and Malia went to this place a couple of times, I am told. This is the place where I first tried Abita Turbodog, and shortly thereafter I announced that it was my favorite beer. I hit the net the next day looking for a place that sold it in bottles. I prefer to do my drinking at home to avoid having to drive.

It's a dark ale with a good strong taste. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor, and it's not too heavy. Coming out of the tap, this was indeed an excellent beer, but coming out of the bottle it just isn't the same. In fact, I don't intend to waste my time getting bottles of this. There's only so much time in life for beer drinking, and, while this is okay, it's just not as super fantastic as it was from the tap. Whenever I go back to that place, I always get this though. (943 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

I'm not a huge fan of brown ales, that being said turbo dog is a huge exception. It reminds me less of a brown ale and more of a porter without being too heavy and full bodied. 10/10 would drink again. (201 characters)

Great Dark brown ale, great aroma and nice mud look! Tan head adds to the color. Love the toffee-chocolate taste and not bitter at all. Would def drink this again. (166 characters)

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque color, with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Actually, not much of an aroma in this beer. There are some subtle notes of roasted malt and dark chocolate.

Taste: What the beer lacks in aroma, it more than makes up for in flavor. Strong notes of roasted malt, importing some flavors of some subtle smoke, followed by some brown sugar-like sweetness, finished with some perfectly balanced hops. Absolutely delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 5.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Turbodog is one of my favorite American beers. I love the great malty and sweet flavors, perfectly balanced with some slightly bitter hops. Delicious! (914 characters)

Beer from Louisiana? Why not! This is my first Abita brew and the entry-level pricing of $19.80 for a six-pack makes me apprehensive, however I wanted to get a nice dark winter beer and the label made it sound like something that would fit the bill nicely. Plus I like brews that pack in pale, crystal and chocolate malts, the more the merry I say. Well here goes beer adventurers. If I'm not back in five minutes please notify the authorities.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents well with a deep (clear) seal brown body and a generous 3cm khaki head that soon reduces to a thick half centimetre foam. 5/10.

S: Milk chocolate, brown sugar and hints of sweet malt all combine to create a luscious fragrance. As intoxicating as it is there is a notable lack of anything that can be described as hops (i.e. all aboard the malt train people). 7/10.

T: Quite excellent! It is as expected (a malt dominated Ale) but the amount of malt characters it manages to pack in is impressive. There are notes of: milk and dark chocolate, caramel, toffee and roasted barley. The finish is dry with the tiniest hint of herbal hops. After taste brings more sweetness. There is a light metallic twang as well but we'll forgive it. 9/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with slight wateriness and light carbonation. 5/10.

D: Well, I like it. I like it a lot. It fills a gaping malt-shaped hole in my tongue, if you can imagine it, and is perhaps for me the most interesting English (American) Brown Ale I've had to date, primarily due to the lack of hops and the tastiness of the malts. Also there is a decent amount of complexity for what is essentially a cheap beer (not here but in the USA). Would I buy it again? Yes. Does it fill a fridge door niche of malty goodness? Yes. Should I stop asking questions and just get it? Yes. 9/10.

Food match: Borderline dessert beer we have here, but savoury is also a good pick: It's stew-time baby!*

*See what I did there? (1,966 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Bought a single Summer 2014. Poured into a pint served cool.

appearance: cola brown with a thick khaki head.

smell: roasty, chocolately

taste: thick roasty chocolate

mouthfeel: nice and solid

overall: excellent tasty brown ale. (232 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is the best beer I have ever had. I heard great things about Turbodog, and went to my local market, which has a "Build your own 6-pack" thing for 9.99. I got a Turbodog, Purple Haze, couple Shock Tops, and a Cherry Chocolate beer. I refridgerated my Turbodog and angle/straight poured it into a 20 oz. mug. The head is incredible! Super retention, very foamy, bit of lacing. The smell was great, hints of chocolate malt, no cloying, bit of sweetness. It pours a very dark brown. I drank the first gulp...heaven. No over the top alcohol taste, despite it having a higher ABV than most beers. I felt no biting carbonation and the sweetness was not overpowering. I recommend Turbodog to everyone. A+! (702 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - brown ale, creamy head, patchy lacing, fairly dark brown

S - malts, red wine, there's a unique smell here that's almost like grape

T - sweet malt, mild hops, some roasted flavors, sweet toffee, very mild hops

M - very balanced on the palette, medium bodied

O - solid English Ale, really balanced balanced malt and hops and an interesting aroma like red wine which i find really nice. (391 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very dark brown with a crimson hue when held to the light. It has a large creamy head of tan foam that falls slowly. The nose is mild. Some toasty malt with a nice sweetness on it and maybe some faint grass. Sweet milky chocolate creeps into the nose as it warms and there's a touch fo bread crust on the nose. Taste is gracefull and well done. It has a thin mouthfeel with a slight bite from carbonation. There's a fruity backnote and some hops balance it for a finish that is dry and has a faint touch of bitterness. The malt stays mild in this but enticing with some bread crust a bit of toffee and some light sweet chocolate.

Easy to drink and very pleasant. (672 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured out a deep, clear brown with a nice ruby tint. The head is foamy and settles in at about one fingers worth, light tan in color and leaves some nice soapy lacing. The aroma is pretty average, with only slight, nondescript malt sweetness. The taste is much more robust, with nice nutty notes and additions of caramel. There's a bit of carbonation on the mouthfeel, but it has an overall smooth mouthfeel and finish. A solid brown ale. (439 characters)

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.