Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

to view more.
Ratings: 2,620 | Reviews: 990
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A dark brown ale that has a good, mellow flavor. I might use this to deg-laze the pan when making a quality beef stew and then enjoy one with the same stew. I will have this again when the opportunity arises.

4.68/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious, chocolate notes. Had on tap.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Fun Abita beer. Easy to find.

2.79/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Dark brown with ruby highlights, almost cola in colour. Light brown head is dense and has cling. Gobs of lacing down the sides.

S: Sweet malts in the aroma. Fruit cake, chocolate, coffee.

T: Flavor is the same as the aroma. Rich and smooth, full bodied with moderate carbonation. Gives you the impression of a dense loaf of bread with touches of chocolate and coffee.

AT: Dark Chocolate and Coffee at the end.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3/10/15 Draft (The Laughing Man DC) - Very dark pour, nice tan head. Nice malt aroma with a hint of caramel. Strong harsh taste, chocolate toffee flavor taste. Liked this a lot. Texture decent carbonation, nice finish and decent kick. Very good beer.

4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

Excellent overall brew with great finish

4.49/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Nice stout the toffee finish really stands out

3.43/5  rDev -6%

Very average but easy to put down.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Abita Turbo dog
12 oz bottle poured into flying dog goblet

L: Dark brown to black. Good lacing. About dinner of head. Good head retention.

S: Sweet malt smell. Hints of chocolate and caramel.

T: Missing that umph. Light toffee taste.

F: Has a good mouth feel, a good body.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A very solid brown ale. I like the nutty flavor. Good blend and surprisingly sessionablle

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark Brown ale, carmelized malts that have flavor profiles of chocolate w/ over toasted nuts

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Great flavor, Taste similar to an espresso. Smooth as well

4.19/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A really delightful brown ale trending toward a stout for my palate. Excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

My first time with this bier. Wasn't sure about it but was suprised at the smoothness and taste. Would recommend.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had it. I liked it. I didn’t think it was over 6% alcohol. In fact this was my present from my fiance when she went to NOLA for a bachlorette party. Does this mean she got into trouble and is trying to make me forget about it by bringing me beer?

4.59/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love this one. Has some chocolate and coffee taste. Super drinkable.

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

A fine, chewy brown ale. Toffee and molasses notes in here, along with some dried fruit. The body is fairly smooth, medium and creamy. Dry on the finish.

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Man, this is one tasty beer! I like this!

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a huge fan of this style but liked this beer - problem for me was the vanilla porter I had right before this so my palate was a little off.

4.06/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Best by 2/12/15.

Color is opaque mahogany with an enormous frothy tan head. Retention was excellent with some semi-sticky lacing as the glass emptied. Smell was very nice - lots of toffee and some dark fruit and cocoa. Much more complex than I expected. Flavor is similar, with some hop bitterness on the palate and in the finish that adds to the aroma. Body is pretty light, with good carbonation. I found this very drinkable and enjoyable.

Overall, one of the better brown ales I've had. I'm not usually a big fan of the style, but I'd happily have another one of these.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%

Great dark ale. Smooth and tasty

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just had this beer for the first time and it is amazing! I have had Abita beers before and have liked them fine but this...this is something special. My favorite beer of all time is Alaskan Amber so, this isn't a huge derivation. Still, where can I find a keg of this?

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Nice dark beer! Not too bitter . Kinda heavy!

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

There's a popular meet and greet watering hole near my house. The food is below average on a good day, but the drinks are excellent. Mrs. Obama and Malia went to this place a couple of times, I am told. This is the place where I first tried Abita Turbodog, and shortly thereafter I announced that it was my favorite beer. I hit the net the next day looking for a place that sold it in bottles. I prefer to do my drinking at home to avoid having to drive.

It's a dark ale with a good strong taste. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor, and it's not too heavy. Coming out of the tap, this was indeed an excellent beer, but coming out of the bottle it just isn't the same. In fact, I don't intend to waste my time getting bottles of this. There's only so much time in life for beer drinking, and, while this is okay, it's just not as super fantastic as it was from the tap. Whenever I go back to that place, I always get this though.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Very smooth, great hops. Could have a heavier body

to view more.
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.