Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Reviews: 981 | Hads: 2,732
3.88/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a mug.
The appearance was a ruddy burnt brown color with a slight transparency to it. Carbonation could be seen rising to fill a quickly dissipating finger's worth of head.
The smell started with a rich sweet to nutty amplified toffee to burnt cake-like aroma. Some caramel makes a sly presence.
The taste was mainly sweet with a subtle roast blending into the flavor. A light semi-sweet to nutty aftertaste runs into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a tad bit of sweet clingy cakey-ness on my tongue. Carbonation feels fairly subdued allowing the roastiness and malts to sweeten and wanting to become to a semi-harsh feel on my tongue.
Overall, its a good English brown ale that I think I could come back to.

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tried a Turbodog at a Disneyland Resort. Not bad but nothing exciting. Somewhat flat brown ale taste. Avery and Pretty Things have superior brown ales.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark chestnut brown color with red showing at the edges where light hits the glass; it had a thick foamy 2 finger beige head that was full of popping bubbles as it dissipated slowly, leaving really good foamy lacing.

Smells of hazelnuts, toasted grains, toffee, burnt corn husk, sweet malt, brown sugar, pumpernickel bread and earthy notes like peat moss, tree bark or twigs. Nutty and sweet smelling overall, the earthy notes allow notes like tea leaf and light spices to add a little balance, but it's all malt.

Tastes like it smells, with toasted grains, toffee, burnt corn husk, a mix of nuts, rye bread, brown sugar, peat moss, toasted crackers with butter, chocolate malt, faint coffee grinds, tea leaf and light floral hops. The nutty aftertaste has a slight chalky yeast feel and flavor, leaving metallic notes lingering - the aftertaste is the only part of the flavor I don't really care for.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, with a light body, mild carbonation and as stated above the nutty aftertaste which has a slightly chalky yeast feel and flavor, leaving the metallic notes lingering. The finish is my least favorite part of an otherwise overall good beer.

4.49/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

This beer definitely has a porter-esque. Dark roasted malts on the nose, and the taste follows with a light-medium body. Dry finish. Makes me proud to be in Louisiana.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To me, most brown ales are diet porters. You can taste the sweet caramel and chocolate malts up against the very well balanced Willamette hops. However, it is a bit watery; And I reiterated throughout the night that if they made this into a porter it would've been on the level of Founders Porter. There wasn't enough pop or continuous flavor on the palate to rank it very high. It's a beer with a lot of potential that's not made in the right style.

4.48/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked up while I was in Oregon earlier this month.
This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a smooth looking dark brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated fairly quickly. Lacing was messy and running all around.
The smell had rich sweet nuts, a nice woodiness, light caramel flavoring and some toffee running all around.
The taste was moderately sweet backed up by a smooth caramel and toffee blend. A nice aftertaste bleeds into a sweet nutty finish.
The mouthfeel had about a light to medium on the body with a nice sessionable smooth to semi-creamy sort of feel all around it.
Overall, as an English Brown ale, one can't knock it. I just want to "turbo" it down my gullet during the Autumn months (which is when I like brown ales the most).

4.82/5  rDev +32.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic glass

L - dark brown with good amount of foam, but quickly collapses

S - hints of chocolate and coffee with a malt background

T - chocolate all around, almost milk chocolate like Hershey's

F - very smooth and light. Really coats the mouth with chocolate

O - what a delicious brew! I've never ventured into brown ales before but have had Dunkels before. TB is pretty close but has that ale feel to it. Very good, you have to try it

2.95/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Foirth bottle from my Abita party pack. Pours a dark coca cola color into a pint glass. Thick cream head recedes quickly. Smells only of malt, heavy malt. Taste has a few notes of bitter hops but mostly just malt. Feel is a tad watery. Overall decent. Coukd have mirw flavor. Ill stick ti a nice stout for my dark bitter fix.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Might have been a bad bottle but the one I had was almost completely flat, no carbonation. Tasted good, probably would have liked it a lot more with full carbonation.

4.88/5  rDev +34.1%

Appearance: slightly darker-than-khaki, frothy head that retains well. Dark, dark brown body, with brown hues at the bottom of the glass, but ruby hues from the middle to the top. Lots of thick lacing.

Aroma: Typical dark beer sweetness, with toasted malt undertones. Some noticeable hop presence. (Chocolate malts are detected as the beer warms.) A mild aroma.

Taste: dark, toasted and chocolate malts. The chocolate flavor is predominant, and builds into the middle of the flavor, where I am left with a hop presence that builds from the middle into the end. the aftertaste is reminiscent of toffee.

Mouthfeel: fluffy, and carbonated on the back end.

Finish: Dry. Tasty.

2.97/5  rDev -18.4%

Darker version of a Newcastle, in my opinion. Smells of cereal, grains and malt. Hops aren't too present in the taste or smell, but they are there, faintly. Easy drinking. Smooth with a lingering taste. Not picking up much chocolate at all, but definitely toffee.

Not bad for the price, although nothing special. An easy session brew.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A dark brown ale that has a good, mellow flavor. I might use this to deg-laze the pan when making a quality beef stew and then enjoy one with the same stew. I will have this again when the opportunity arises.

2.79/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Dark brown with ruby highlights, almost cola in colour. Light brown head is dense and has cling. Gobs of lacing down the sides.

S: Sweet malts in the aroma. Fruit cake, chocolate, coffee.

T: Flavor is the same as the aroma. Rich and smooth, full bodied with moderate carbonation. Gives you the impression of a dense loaf of bread with touches of chocolate and coffee.

AT: Dark Chocolate and Coffee at the end.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3/10/15 Draft (The Laughing Man DC) - Very dark pour, nice tan head. Nice malt aroma with a hint of caramel. Strong harsh taste, chocolate toffee flavor taste. Liked this a lot. Texture decent carbonation, nice finish and decent kick. Very good beer.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Abita Turbo dog
12 oz bottle poured into flying dog goblet

L: Dark brown to black. Good lacing. About dinner of head. Good head retention.

S: Sweet malt smell. Hints of chocolate and caramel.

T: Missing that umph. Light toffee taste.

F: Has a good mouth feel, a good body.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had it. I liked it. I didn’t think it was over 6% alcohol. In fact this was my present from my fiance when she went to NOLA for a bachlorette party. Does this mean she got into trouble and is trying to make me forget about it by bringing me beer?

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

A fine, chewy brown ale. Toffee and molasses notes in here, along with some dried fruit. The body is fairly smooth, medium and creamy. Dry on the finish.

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Best by 2/12/15.

Color is opaque mahogany with an enormous frothy tan head. Retention was excellent with some semi-sticky lacing as the glass emptied. Smell was very nice - lots of toffee and some dark fruit and cocoa. Much more complex than I expected. Flavor is similar, with some hop bitterness on the palate and in the finish that adds to the aroma. Body is pretty light, with good carbonation. I found this very drinkable and enjoyable.

Overall, one of the better brown ales I've had. I'm not usually a big fan of the style, but I'd happily have another one of these.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just had this beer for the first time and it is amazing! I have had Abita beers before and have liked them fine but this...this is something special. My favorite beer of all time is Alaskan Amber so, this isn't a huge derivation. Still, where can I find a keg of this?

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

There's a popular meet and greet watering hole near my house. The food is below average on a good day, but the drinks are excellent. Mrs. Obama and Malia went to this place a couple of times, I am told. This is the place where I first tried Abita Turbodog, and shortly thereafter I announced that it was my favorite beer. I hit the net the next day looking for a place that sold it in bottles. I prefer to do my drinking at home to avoid having to drive.

It's a dark ale with a good strong taste. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor, and it's not too heavy. Coming out of the tap, this was indeed an excellent beer, but coming out of the bottle it just isn't the same. In fact, I don't intend to waste my time getting bottles of this. There's only so much time in life for beer drinking, and, while this is okay, it's just not as super fantastic as it was from the tap. Whenever I go back to that place, I always get this though.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

I'm not a huge fan of brown ales, that being said turbo dog is a huge exception. It reminds me less of a brown ale and more of a porter without being too heavy and full bodied. 10/10 would drink again.

Great Dark brown ale, great aroma and nice mud look! Tan head adds to the color. Love the toffee-chocolate taste and not bitter at all. Would def drink this again.

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque color, with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Actually, not much of an aroma in this beer. There are some subtle notes of roasted malt and dark chocolate.

Taste: What the beer lacks in aroma, it more than makes up for in flavor. Strong notes of roasted malt, importing some flavors of some subtle smoke, followed by some brown sugar-like sweetness, finished with some perfectly balanced hops. Absolutely delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 5.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Turbodog is one of my favorite American beers. I love the great malty and sweet flavors, perfectly balanced with some slightly bitter hops. Delicious!

Beer from Louisiana? Why not! This is my first Abita brew and the entry-level pricing of $19.80 for a six-pack makes me apprehensive, however I wanted to get a nice dark winter beer and the label made it sound like something that would fit the bill nicely. Plus I like brews that pack in pale, crystal and chocolate malts, the more the merry I say. Well here goes beer adventurers. If I'm not back in five minutes please notify the authorities.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents well with a deep (clear) seal brown body and a generous 3cm khaki head that soon reduces to a thick half centimetre foam. 5/10.

S: Milk chocolate, brown sugar and hints of sweet malt all combine to create a luscious fragrance. As intoxicating as it is there is a notable lack of anything that can be described as hops (i.e. all aboard the malt train people). 7/10.

T: Quite excellent! It is as expected (a malt dominated Ale) but the amount of malt characters it manages to pack in is impressive. There are notes of: milk and dark chocolate, caramel, toffee and roasted barley. The finish is dry with the tiniest hint of herbal hops. After taste brings more sweetness. There is a light metallic twang as well but we'll forgive it. 9/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with slight wateriness and light carbonation. 5/10.

D: Well, I like it. I like it a lot. It fills a gaping malt-shaped hole in my tongue, if you can imagine it, and is perhaps for me the most interesting English (American) Brown Ale I've had to date, primarily due to the lack of hops and the tastiness of the malts. Also there is a decent amount of complexity for what is essentially a cheap beer (not here but in the USA). Would I buy it again? Yes. Does it fill a fridge door niche of malty goodness? Yes. Should I stop asking questions and just get it? Yes. 9/10.

Food match: Borderline dessert beer we have here, but savoury is also a good pick: It's stew-time baby!*

*See what I did there?

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Bought a single Summer 2014. Poured into a pint served cool.

appearance: cola brown with a thick khaki head.

smell: roasty, chocolately

taste: thick roasty chocolate

mouthfeel: nice and solid

overall: excellent tasty brown ale.

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.