2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,104 | Reviews: 944 | Show All Ratings:
redneckchugger

4.9/5  rDev +34.2%

pours a dark opague brown, with two inches of tawny, rocky head.
smells of caramel and roasted walnuts.
Tastes of toasted malt, nuts, caramel, and a hint of hops in the background
One of the smoothest beers i have ever put to my lips, it just carresses the tongue and mouth.
Extemly drinkable, very tasty, the best brown ale i have had to date. An underrated beer, and one of my favorites.

11-24-2007 20:21:32 | More by redneckchugger
Mick

4.88/5  rDev +33.7%

A heavier product from Abita. Very coffee like. Has a great pour and trickles and trances down the glass with grace. A strong but pleasant aroma. Strong appearance. Highlights of a roasting flavor compliment the overall experience.

09-13-2002 09:52:01 | More by Mick
micahgoldfus

4.65/5  rDev +27.4%

The pour looked good: a dark brown with amber hues, and a nice, fluffy dark-tan head. The smell was of dark malts, nuts (especially chestnuts), and a pinch of bitter hops. The smell was strong and pleasant, and I could catch a whiff of it with the glass sitting on the table a few feet away. The taste was similar to the smell: a great mix of malts, which were simultaneously dark (chocolate), nutty, and sweet (toffee and brown sugar), plus a dash of hop bitterness to round it off and balance the flavor. The beer is well carbonated, and it has a medium mouthfeel. The beer is very drinkable: sweet (but not too sweet), smooth, tasty, not filling, and refreshing.

02-20-2009 03:32:38 | More by micahgoldfus
BeerLover729

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

Translucent brown pour with reddish hues. Tan/white frothy head.

Toasty, bread-like malt flavors rise up from the glass chased by slightly roasted chocolaty notes.

Sweet toffee and toasted nuts. Balanced caramel sweetness. Lingering sugars fade to chocolate goodness.

Light medium body. Small, present, but not too sharp carbonation. Lingering flavors leave mouth watering for more.

Extremely well balanced, quaffable, and very tasty brown brew.

08-01-2011 15:12:31 | More by BeerLover729
JackTheRipper

4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

High marks, I know, but I like this beer.

A: Bottle label is different than the pic, mine is black with some wheat stalks barely visible. Anyway. Pours a deep deep brown color with just a hint of garnet in the light. Nice head at first. Scant lacing.

S: Wow! Dark malty sweetness with hints of caramel in there. Can't really smell any hops. Very appealing, nonetheless. The malty profile is lovely smelling.

T: Toasty malts, just this side of sweet. Hop flavor comes very late and provides just a tap of bitterness that seems to set you up for the next sip. Do I detect a bare hint of coffee here? Amazing tasting beer.

M: Alcohol warmth is perfect. Lets you know it's there without needing any attention. Medium body. Moderate level of carbonation. Dry feeling late just makes me want to take another sip, then another, etc.

D&N: He may not have sent me this one, but BigLove turned me on to Abita with the Abita Wheata he sent me. Thanks for getting me interested in this brewery, everything I've tried from them has been tasty, this one is just off the scale drinkable. I now have a definite beer I'll think of when I think of English Brown. Superb beer and I can't recommend this one enough. Go Get Some!

07-01-2005 05:49:54 | More by JackTheRipper
Ozone34

4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

Sampled on-tap at the Cock and Bull. I tried this beer in a bottle a while ago and I didn't care for it much. Then just recently I got some on tap and I tasted quite a difference.

Appearance: dark brown, slight lacing

Smell: Nice roasted malts slight chocolate

Taste: Again, slightly chocolately, slight hop/bitterness on the backside.

A favorite among the patrons at the C & B, they almost always have a tap on this and always fresh. You come on Wednesday's it's $5 liter night and I always get a liter of TurboDog. Perfect example of a brown.

06-22-2006 20:18:24 | More by Ozone34
jmbranum

Oklahoma

4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

Beautiful black ruby brew with decent sized light tan head.

But for more fun, my favorite way to drink this beer is slighty cool, and dumped into a glass quickly so it forms a giant head. I know this is normally not the way to pour a beer, but with Turbodog, it is the way to go. The giant fluffy creamy head is glorious.

The aroma is chocalaty, rich and strong.

The flavor starts off creamy, then moves to dark chocolate and then creamy milky chocolate, then to espresso and finally to a finish of toasty malts with just a bit of a Heath bar. Lots of wonderful alcoholic warmth.

An absolutely fabulous beer, but I will make one cautionary note. Look for the freshness dating. It rapidly loses flavor if it is out of date (in fact, if you are in Oklahoma like I am, where they don't let liquor stores refrigerate beers, I wouldn't buy it with 3 weeks of expiration date). I've drank this beer just a little past its prime and was very disappointed.

Very, very drinkable. Excellent session beer, particularly for its price (around $6/6pack).

10-28-2006 03:32:25 | More by jmbranum
matracy68

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

I am a member of the Beer of the Month Club and this was one of the first beers that came in the first month. I have been a huge fan of this beer ever since. I enjoy the slight chocolate smell and taste of the beer. I was never a dark beer drinker until I tasted Turbo Dog. I now can't get enough of the "Dog". I have turned on quite a few on my friends to this tasy beverage now too. It is hard to find this beer where I am from but when I do get some it is a very welcome treat.

05-23-2006 23:27:55 | More by matracy68
erikm25

Washington

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

A: This beer comes out a quick dark chocolate. A creamy brown head of fuzzy hazelnut and mahogany goodness erupts. However, holding it up to the light reveals a very cool looking mixture of hefty brown, dark ruby red, and dense caramel tinting.

S: Toasted sweet coffee and caramel smell at the outset. Roasted nuts paired with malty sweetness give it a fine aroma. Give it a few scents though and you can discern a medium citrus smell that adds an entire different level.

T: I find this beer to be very complex. The first sips yield a toffee and chocolate taste but hidden underneath that layer is roasted dark fruit sweetness. I tend to enjoy this layered taste even more as the glass reaches room temperature and some good southern cuisine awaits. The nutty aftertaste always leaves me looking forward to the next sip.

M: Despite the heavy appearance it is relatively thin and light at the outset. Definitely sweet on spice once you give it a whirl and ponder. However, even with this initial thin body there is a creamy and quite full quality that emerges.

D: IMO, it is a great brown ale and perfect for a quality session. Needless to say, even better on tap. It is one of my favorites from back in the day and just seeing the bottle or hearing the name gives me a good vibe. Perhaps my personal history, coupled with the region, lend me to be a little bias. However, for these personal reasons, and the fact I firmly believe it is a solid around beer, I would proudly put it in my top ten. Additionally, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a very accessible and unique beer from a great brewery.

09-10-2008 00:48:37 | More by erikm25
EddieTheTrooper

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer IS New Orleans. Turbodog has a great rich flavor, a deep musky aroma, and a huge-ass head. Yet with all that, it goes down as smoothly as any lite beer, strange, no? Found at basically any cajun restaurant this is a great sidearm to bring into battle with that spicy jambalaya, or spicy anything for that matter. Turbodog quenches thirst like fucking gatorade. Even though its one of the darker brewskis I enjoy, I can still put back more than a few because of its superior drinkability, Bud Lites got nothing on this baby!

10-17-2009 17:46:21 | More by EddieTheTrooper
mobyfann

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Paid about $1.59 for a single...

The beer pours a dark brown base with a medium white head, head retention lasts for a few minutes and a few lacing effects on the glass. The aroma is very sweet, like candy but also hints a chocolate tone, it is very pleasent on the nose.

The taste is great, medium-body if that, chocolate taste with a bit of grain, a little sweet aftertaste, a dessert beer, maybe "the dessert beer". Clean and soft on the palette, so amazing to earn a 5. Drinkable to have a few more. It isn't heavy like a porter, but tastes like one. I would have a field day with this as a session beer.

Final Thought: This beer is unbelieveable, it tastes like a hybrid porter-ale and is one to be purchased when seen, without a doubt.

05-24-2006 04:07:52 | More by mobyfann
ZAP

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

A-Dark brown ale...looks the part.

S-A lot of roasted malts and chocolate.

T-This is a great tasting beer. Maybe the most flavorful brown ale I have had...excellent marriage of sweet chocolate and roasted malts...very light java notes emerge as well.

M-Smooth, creamy, medium bodied but on the higher side of medium.

D-I am impressed. I'm wrapping up a sampler of Abita beers that I have been reviewing the past week and this clearly is the crown jewel of what I have tried...borders on "porter" land as it is very rich and tasty...a must try beer for anyone who likes this style and even if you don't it's still worth trying.

10-18-2007 05:39:18 | More by ZAP
LuckySevens82

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

12 oz stubby twist-off bottle.
Pours a nice clear brown with a small but sturdy tan head. Lacing isn't anything special.
Smells slightly of caramel, toffee, a little chocolate. Very nice.
Caramel, ripe fruit, and a slight roasted character dominate the flavor. The yeast that Abita uses definitely lends a fruity character to this brew that is not overly present in many of the other Brown ales I've tried.
This is just a great example of the style. One of my personal favorites that I always have stashed away for when I am feeling a little down. This brew always makes me happy.

05-13-2004 02:34:24 | More by LuckySevens82
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

12oz bottle. Pours a murky dark brown body with a thin film of light tan head. Smells very malty, with caramel, toffee, and brown sugar ruling - very pleasing. Tastes like caramel, toffee, and brown sugar, with some hints at chocolate and coffee. On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Extremely drinkable, definitely disappears before I'm ready to see it go. A flavorful quaffable easy drinking beer. One I'll definitely be getting again - one of the finest brown ales I've had, and definitely makes me think twice about the quality of beers in the South - awesome brew!

10-09-2008 04:47:50 | More by MrHurmateeowish
corey0212

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

Had to try one after seeing the tap handle so many times on "True Blood"!

Pours a nice mahogany/chestnut color, with reddish highlights when held to light, foamy tan head fades into a fine film on top of the beer, a few spots of lacing here and there. Nice roasty aromas, cocoa powder, some toffee. Some bitter coffee flavors, more cocoa, biscuity/doughy. This is something I'd never turn down, and would be an easy go-to beer at the dinner table. Nice one!

01-05-2009 22:57:09 | More by corey0212
faubs

Louisiana

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

All right so I’m bias, however this is an exceptional beer. When ever you get a chance you should support your local micro brew… that is if you think its worth a damn. Back to the beer. As far as this brew goes you can’t beat it for a domestic its got some meat to it. Dark in appearance, appealing bottle, and a smooth taste (chocolate hops with coffee overtones). Man I can drink this stuff for hours. It does help if you can get it fresh, I tried it in a Texas bar not nearly as good. This is definitely worth a try if you can get a holt of it.

10-25-2005 07:08:53 | More by faubs
smerkinb

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Fat 2 finger head -- soft creamy and pillowy. I'm calling this beer midnight brown. When you backlight it you give the hidden deep red beauty to be seen. Nice lacing as well.

Dark chocolate malts lead the nose. Wood, moss, earth intertwined with wisps of light balancing hops. Very enticing.

Coppery malt tastes with metallic twinge leads off. Then there is almost a pause before the dark chocolate malt taste. Roasted flavor come to the front before the finish impresses with a wonderfully balanced sweetness followed by more dark bitter malt. As it warms the alcohol becomes a bit more pronounced.

Mouthfeel is a simple smooth and creamy.

This imho is a great brown. Balanced so as not to ever approach being cloyingly sweet, but easily avoiding the other end as unimpressively boring. It's complex enough for contemplation but the easy verdict is that it's just plain delicious. It never gets out of hand or tries too hard with any one aspect. The smooth mouthfeel makes it especially hard to hold back -- Very much wish I had another in the fridge.

To sum, 3 words: "Go-to beer".

03-26-2010 22:16:45 | More by smerkinb
swampski

Louisiana

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

As I am from Louisiana bayou country, I consider this to be my main local microbrew. A very hearty and filling concoction that is the absolutely perfect choice to go with spicy boiled crawfish (or any other spicy Louisiana cuisine!) There is a hint of chocolate (maybe even coffee?) and well toasted biscuit. along with other ingredients that I can't pick out, but know they are there. It's called a brown ale, but it seems like a porter to me.

Some have said that this is a good session beer. Unless the session includes spicy food, I would have to respectfully disagree. I find myself having to carefully alternate this beer with a lighter beer, less the lingering aftertaste completely dominate my palette (I find Hoegaarden to be an excellent intermediary.)

The bottom line is that if you are visiting Louisiana and dining on a spicy seafood dish, you should wash it down with this local product. I am away a lot, and I never feel like I've arrived back home until I can get this into gut.

04-18-2012 17:33:30 | More by swampski
steveh

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Abita was one of the first micros available in my area -- lo these many years ago. I haven't had it in a while, but was inspired by one of my cousins who said he drinks it all the time and really enjoys it -- mind you, this from a converted BMC drinker.

12 ounce stubby, no visible bottling or best-by date on the label.

Northern, or Southern English Brown..?

A -- Clear, deep chestnut brown with a very substantial, dense, tan head.

S -- Nice balance of chocolate and roasted malts, some toasted nut character with warming.

T -- Milk chocolate character up front that blends into mellow roasted malts. Some very mellow citrus fruitiness toward the finish, the mellow roasted malt follows through in the afertaste.

M -- Mouthfeel is Smooth and creamy with a medium to lightly heavy body.

O -- Based on guidelines, this beer straddles Northern & Southern English Brown characteristics -- and the drinker is the winner. A very smooth, mellow, yet robust beer. Great balance of sweet and roasted malts. If you crave a Brown and this is available, give it a go.

03-22-2013 21:14:10 | More by steveh
fdrich29

4.38/5  rDev +20%

Picked up a 6 pack of this brew at Luke's in Rockland, MA during an Offshore tasting.

Beautiful Autuum brown body. Smells of roasted malts. Mmmmm....roasted malts.

Nice thick off whitish head with thick lacing.

Karma is smiling upon me on this night of malt. Sweet malty taste with just a hint of bitterness. Just what I've been looking for. Sweet and malty. That about sums this baby up and I couldnt be happier.

It's a very malty birthday so far to say the least. It makes turning 33 almost ok. If for some reason I get crucified this year or die doing a speedball at least I'll have tried this malty baby, which is more than I can say for a few of the famous people who only made it to their 33rd year.

07-14-2005 05:08:07 | More by fdrich29
Jeffro96

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +20%

I am a fan of dark flavorful ales and this beer met that mark well.

It started with a cream colored head two fingers thick in a frosted pint glass. The aroma was light but smelled of of sweetness and maybe a hint of fruit or citrus.

on the tongue it started with a mild sweetness that hinted at chocolate and coffee or toffee mingled with malt and perhaps bread followed by a slightly fruity lightly citrus flavor and a bite of hops and warm alcohol.

this beer finishes a bit dry and lingers on the palate, but in a good way. Good balance over all. A must try for any beer drinker.

01-02-2011 19:42:22 | More by Jeffro96
JupiterJesus

4.38/5  rDev +20%

Classic fruity english aroma and flavor but with a bit more American 'heft': more roast, more chocolate, more body and even some American hops. Like a newcastle on steroids. Lower carbonation, medium body and just the right intensity of flavor make this super drinkable/sessionable. Delicious brown, I'd probably put it over Downtown Brown.

02-22-2012 03:36:53 | More by JupiterJesus
mgironta

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew poured with a one finger off white head, which dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a dark brown with moderate visible carbonation on it. The nose had notes of coffee (even Aly picked this up) and chocolate with a bit of roasted malts. The taste on the brew was almost exactly like the nose, except the coffee overwhelmed the other flavors a bit. The roasted malts and chocolate were detectable, but definitely took back seat to the coffee. The finish lingered with the coffee flavor. The body was moderately thin, decently carbonated and the alcohol was obviously on the lower end. As I sipped the beer, I may have gotten a hint of sweetness as well, but it was very difficult to detect. This was a very flavorful brown ale that I would definitely have again.

09-16-2012 23:18:01 | More by mgironta
EagleTalon

Arkansas

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent microbrew. I think of Turbo Dog as a specialty brew, because it really does not conform to any particular style. Chocolatey, toffeish and definitely malty; I can drink this stuff with just about anything. It does not have any outstanding negatives in my mind. Definitely worth getting if you can get it fresh.

06-02-2002 23:49:44 | More by EagleTalon
andrewm190

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer really caught me by surprise. I pulled it out of a mish-mash box and didn't really expect too much. The label is not particularly intriguing, in fact there is nothing really to indicate you'd be drinking anything but an average beer. I didn't go in with respect for the beer, having prejudged it, and carelessly threw down a swig. I immediately realized my error. A delicious, sweet chocolaty taste that is far from overbearing, with a medium carbonation and moderate - but effective - aftertaste. Traditional malty smell but not particularly roasted. Quite the undervalued and overlooked beer.

02-21-2009 04:44:41 | More by andrewm190
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.