Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,656 | Reviews: 997

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque color, with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Actually, not much of an aroma in this beer. There are some subtle notes of roasted malt and dark chocolate.

Taste: What the beer lacks in aroma, it more than makes up for in flavor. Strong notes of roasted malt, importing some flavors of some subtle smoke, followed by some brown sugar-like sweetness, finished with some perfectly balanced hops. Absolutely delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 5.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Turbodog is one of my favorite American beers. I love the great malty and sweet flavors, perfectly balanced with some slightly bitter hops. Delicious!

Chocolatey, pretty strong hoppiness but another good beer from Louisiana's best brewery

4.9/5  rDev +33.9%

great brown ale...one of my favorites.

4.88/5  rDev +33.3%

pours a dark opague brown, with two inches of tawny, rocky head.
smells of caramel and roasted walnuts.
Tastes of toasted malt, nuts, caramel, and a hint of hops in the background
One of the smoothest beers i have ever put to my lips, it just carresses the tongue and mouth.
Extemly drinkable, very tasty, the best brown ale i have had to date. An underrated beer, and one of my favorites.

4.88/5  rDev +33.3%

Appearance: slightly darker-than-khaki, frothy head that retains well. Dark, dark brown body, with brown hues at the bottom of the glass, but ruby hues from the middle to the top. Lots of thick lacing.

Aroma: Typical dark beer sweetness, with toasted malt undertones. Some noticeable hop presence. (Chocolate malts are detected as the beer warms.) A mild aroma.

Taste: dark, toasted and chocolate malts. The chocolate flavor is predominant, and builds into the middle of the flavor, where I am left with a hop presence that builds from the middle into the end. the aftertaste is reminiscent of toffee.

Mouthfeel: fluffy, and carbonated on the back end.

Finish: Dry. Tasty.

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

A heavier product from Abita. Very coffee like. Has a great pour and trickles and trances down the glass with grace. A strong but pleasant aroma. Strong appearance. Highlights of a roasting flavor compliment the overall experience.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just had this beer for the first time and it is amazing! I have had Abita beers before and have liked them fine but this...this is something special. My favorite beer of all time is Alaskan Amber so, this isn't a huge derivation. Still, where can I find a keg of this?

4.72/5  rDev +29%

Excellent overall brew with great finish

4.71/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great brown ale....lots of flavor

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious, chocolate notes. Had on tap.

4.67/5  rDev +27.6%

The pour looked good: a dark brown with amber hues, and a nice, fluffy dark-tan head. The smell was of dark malts, nuts (especially chestnuts), and a pinch of bitter hops. The smell was strong and pleasant, and I could catch a whiff of it with the glass sitting on the table a few feet away. The taste was similar to the smell: a great mix of malts, which were simultaneously dark (chocolate), nutty, and sweet (toffee and brown sugar), plus a dash of hop bitterness to round it off and balance the flavor. The beer is well carbonated, and it has a medium mouthfeel. The beer is very drinkable: sweet (but not too sweet), smooth, tasty, not filling, and refreshing.

4.59/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love this one. Has some chocolate and coffee taste. Super drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%

Translucent brown pour with reddish hues. Tan/white frothy head.

Toasty, bread-like malt flavors rise up from the glass chased by slightly roasted chocolaty notes.

Sweet toffee and toasted nuts. Balanced caramel sweetness. Lingering sugars fade to chocolate goodness.

Light medium body. Small, present, but not too sharp carbonation. Lingering flavors leave mouth watering for more.

Extremely well balanced, quaffable, and very tasty brown brew.

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

Beautiful black ruby brew with decent sized light tan head.

But for more fun, my favorite way to drink this beer is slighty cool, and dumped into a glass quickly so it forms a giant head. I know this is normally not the way to pour a beer, but with Turbodog, it is the way to go. The giant fluffy creamy head is glorious.

The aroma is chocalaty, rich and strong.

The flavor starts off creamy, then moves to dark chocolate and then creamy milky chocolate, then to espresso and finally to a finish of toasty malts with just a bit of a Heath bar. Lots of wonderful alcoholic warmth.

An absolutely fabulous beer, but I will make one cautionary note. Look for the freshness dating. It rapidly loses flavor if it is out of date (in fact, if you are in Oklahoma like I am, where they don't let liquor stores refrigerate beers, I wouldn't buy it with 3 weeks of expiration date). I've drank this beer just a little past its prime and was very disappointed.

Very, very drinkable. Excellent session beer, particularly for its price (around $6/6pack).

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

I am a member of the Beer of the Month Club and this was one of the first beers that came in the first month. I have been a huge fan of this beer ever since. I enjoy the slight chocolate smell and taste of the beer. I was never a dark beer drinker until I tasted Turbo Dog. I now can't get enough of the "Dog". I have turned on quite a few on my friends to this tasy beverage now too. It is hard to find this beer where I am from but when I do get some it is a very welcome treat.

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

This beer IS New Orleans. Turbodog has a great rich flavor, a deep musky aroma, and a huge-ass head. Yet with all that, it goes down as smoothly as any lite beer, strange, no? Found at basically any cajun restaurant this is a great sidearm to bring into battle with that spicy jambalaya, or spicy anything for that matter. Turbodog quenches thirst like fucking gatorade. Even though its one of the darker brewskis I enjoy, I can still put back more than a few because of its superior drinkability, Bud Lites got nothing on this baby!

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

High marks, I know, but I like this beer.

A: Bottle label is different than the pic, mine is black with some wheat stalks barely visible. Anyway. Pours a deep deep brown color with just a hint of garnet in the light. Nice head at first. Scant lacing.

S: Wow! Dark malty sweetness with hints of caramel in there. Can't really smell any hops. Very appealing, nonetheless. The malty profile is lovely smelling.

T: Toasty malts, just this side of sweet. Hop flavor comes very late and provides just a tap of bitterness that seems to set you up for the next sip. Do I detect a bare hint of coffee here? Amazing tasting beer.

M: Alcohol warmth is perfect. Lets you know it's there without needing any attention. Medium body. Moderate level of carbonation. Dry feeling late just makes me want to take another sip, then another, etc.

D&N: He may not have sent me this one, but BigLove turned me on to Abita with the Abita Wheata he sent me. Thanks for getting me interested in this brewery, everything I've tried from them has been tasty, this one is just off the scale drinkable. I now have a definite beer I'll think of when I think of English Brown. Superb beer and I can't recommend this one enough. Go Get Some!

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%

A: This beer comes out a quick dark chocolate. A creamy brown head of fuzzy hazelnut and mahogany goodness erupts. However, holding it up to the light reveals a very cool looking mixture of hefty brown, dark ruby red, and dense caramel tinting.

S: Toasted sweet coffee and caramel smell at the outset. Roasted nuts paired with malty sweetness give it a fine aroma. Give it a few scents though and you can discern a medium citrus smell that adds an entire different level.

T: I find this beer to be very complex. The first sips yield a toffee and chocolate taste but hidden underneath that layer is roasted dark fruit sweetness. I tend to enjoy this layered taste even more as the glass reaches room temperature and some good southern cuisine awaits. The nutty aftertaste always leaves me looking forward to the next sip.

M: Despite the heavy appearance it is relatively thin and light at the outset. Definitely sweet on spice once you give it a whirl and ponder. However, even with this initial thin body there is a creamy and quite full quality that emerges.

D: IMO, it is a great brown ale and perfect for a quality session. Needless to say, even better on tap. It is one of my favorites from back in the day and just seeing the bottle or hearing the name gives me a good vibe. Perhaps my personal history, coupled with the region, lend me to be a little bias. However, for these personal reasons, and the fact I firmly believe it is a solid around beer, I would proudly put it in my top ten. Additionally, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a very accessible and unique beer from a great brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

Sampled on-tap at the Cock and Bull. I tried this beer in a bottle a while ago and I didn't care for it much. Then just recently I got some on tap and I tasted quite a difference.

Appearance: dark brown, slight lacing

Smell: Nice roasted malts slight chocolate

Taste: Again, slightly chocolately, slight hop/bitterness on the backside.

A favorite among the patrons at the C & B, they almost always have a tap on this and always fresh. You come on Wednesday's it's $5 liter night and I always get a liter of TurboDog. Perfect example of a brown.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

From a six-pack my dad brought me cross-country. Served in a standard shaker pint glass. Graded to 2008 BJCP American Brown Ale, 10C.

Appearance: Super dark brown, almost black, with reddish hues at the edges. 1" tan head and a little lacing goes down the glass as I drink.

Aroma: Malty & salty. Sweet & roasty.

Taste: Roasty, sweet-tart arrival. Dries across mid-palate; roasted, bitter finish. Almost liquorice-like. Good, cleansing bitterness at the end. Hoppier than I remember any brown ale being.

Mouthfeel: Hefty, but not heavy. Well-carbonated, but not overdone. Slightly slick.

Overall: Roasty, hefty, bitter & sweet. Not an English brown ale at all, but too light to be a porter. This is really versatile; good on its own, great with food. Just a little too dark for the season (early summer). I look forward to returning to this in the fall. Pretty much spot on for American dark brown ale. The closest thing I have mind to compare this to is Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, but less roasty or bitter than GLEF, and much sweeter.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

My first time with this bier. Wasn't sure about it but was suprised at the smoothness and taste. Would recommend.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

A-Dark brown ale...looks the part.

S-A lot of roasted malts and chocolate.

T-This is a great tasting beer. Maybe the most flavorful brown ale I have had...excellent marriage of sweet chocolate and roasted malts...very light java notes emerge as well.

M-Smooth, creamy, medium bodied but on the higher side of medium.

D-I am impressed. I'm wrapping up a sampler of Abita beers that I have been reviewing the past week and this clearly is the crown jewel of what I have tried...borders on "porter" land as it is very rich and tasty...a must try beer for anyone who likes this style and even if you don't it's still worth trying.

4.49/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Nice stout the toffee finish really stands out

4.49/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Paid about $1.59 for a single...

The beer pours a dark brown base with a medium white head, head retention lasts for a few minutes and a few lacing effects on the glass. The aroma is very sweet, like candy but also hints a chocolate tone, it is very pleasent on the nose.

The taste is great, medium-body if that, chocolate taste with a bit of grain, a little sweet aftertaste, a dessert beer, maybe "the dessert beer". Clean and soft on the palette, so amazing to earn a 5. Drinkable to have a few more. It isn't heavy like a porter, but tastes like one. I would have a field day with this as a session beer.

Final Thought: This beer is unbelieveable, it tastes like a hybrid porter-ale and is one to be purchased when seen, without a doubt.

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

As I am from Louisiana bayou country, I consider this to be my main local microbrew. A very hearty and filling concoction that is the absolutely perfect choice to go with spicy boiled crawfish (or any other spicy Louisiana cuisine!) There is a hint of chocolate (maybe even coffee?) and well toasted biscuit. along with other ingredients that I can't pick out, but know they are there. It's called a brown ale, but it seems like a porter to me.

Some have said that this is a good session beer. Unless the session includes spicy food, I would have to respectfully disagree. I find myself having to carefully alternate this beer with a lighter beer, less the lingering aftertaste completely dominate my palette (I find Hoegaarden to be an excellent intermediary.)

The bottom line is that if you are visiting Louisiana and dining on a spicy seafood dish, you should wash it down with this local product. I am away a lot, and I never feel like I've arrived back home until I can get this into gut.

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.