Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Reviews: 976 | Hads: 2,684
4.38/5  rDev +20.7%

All right so I’m bias, however this is an exceptional beer. When ever you get a chance you should support your local micro brew… that is if you think its worth a damn. Back to the beer. As far as this brew goes you can’t beat it for a domestic its got some meat to it. Dark in appearance, appealing bottle, and a smooth taste (chocolate hops with coffee overtones). Man I can drink this stuff for hours. It does help if you can get it fresh, I tried it in a Texas bar not nearly as good. This is definitely worth a try if you can get a holt of it. (550 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%

Picked up a 6 pack of this brew at Luke's in Rockland, MA during an Offshore tasting.

Beautiful Autuum brown body. Smells of roasted malts. Mmmmm....roasted malts.

Nice thick off whitish head with thick lacing.

Karma is smiling upon me on this night of malt. Sweet malty taste with just a hint of bitterness. Just what I've been looking for. Sweet and malty. That about sums this baby up and I couldnt be happier.

It's a very malty birthday so far to say the least. It makes turning 33 almost ok. If for some reason I get crucified this year or die doing a speedball at least I'll have tried this malty baby, which is more than I can say for a few of the famous people who only made it to their 33rd year. (717 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew poured with a one finger off white head, which dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a dark brown with moderate visible carbonation on it. The nose had notes of coffee (even Aly picked this up) and chocolate with a bit of roasted malts. The taste on the brew was almost exactly like the nose, except the coffee overwhelmed the other flavors a bit. The roasted malts and chocolate were detectable, but definitely took back seat to the coffee. The finish lingered with the coffee flavor. The body was moderately thin, decently carbonated and the alcohol was obviously on the lower end. As I sipped the beer, I may have gotten a hint of sweetness as well, but it was very difficult to detect. This was a very flavorful brown ale that I would definitely have again. (798 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

Classic fruity english aroma and flavor but with a bit more American 'heft': more roast, more chocolate, more body and even some American hops. Like a newcastle on steroids. Lower carbonation, medium body and just the right intensity of flavor make this super drinkable/sessionable. Delicious brown, I'd probably put it over Downtown Brown. (340 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent microbrew. I think of Turbo Dog as a specialty brew, because it really does not conform to any particular style. Chocolatey, toffeish and definitely malty; I can drink this stuff with just about anything. It does not have any outstanding negatives in my mind. Definitely worth getting if you can get it fresh. (323 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

I am a fan of dark flavorful ales and this beer met that mark well.

It started with a cream colored head two fingers thick in a frosted pint glass. The aroma was light but smelled of of sweetness and maybe a hint of fruit or citrus.

on the tongue it started with a mild sweetness that hinted at chocolate and coffee or toffee mingled with malt and perhaps bread followed by a slightly fruity lightly citrus flavor and a bite of hops and warm alcohol.

this beer finishes a bit dry and lingers on the palate, but in a good way. Good balance over all. A must try for any beer drinker. (589 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer really caught me by surprise. I pulled it out of a mish-mash box and didn't really expect too much. The label is not particularly intriguing, in fact there is nothing really to indicate you'd be drinking anything but an average beer. I didn't go in with respect for the beer, having prejudged it, and carelessly threw down a swig. I immediately realized my error. A delicious, sweet chocolaty taste that is far from overbearing, with a medium carbonation and moderate - but effective - aftertaste. Traditional malty smell but not particularly roasted. Quite the undervalued and overlooked beer. (604 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a pint glass, date best by 8-19-10, but when served with Jambalaya on NFL Opening Day, I decided to let it slide...

A-deep, dark brown, almost black, nice two finger head and long lasting lace

S-Malt, Nutty, Caramel and Toffee, the nuttiness really comes through

T-Really Nice, carbonated up front, pleasant throughout and nice clean finish

M-see the above, this is a really excellent beer

D-Sessionable, went well with the Jambalaya... (453 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19%

First time I had this was in New Orleans at Emeril's, and I gave it a try again; it is as good as I remember.
Very nice dark brown color, smells really good. The foam quickly dissipates and leaves some islands of foam around the upper rim of the glass as you drink it. Smooth on the tongue with just a hint of that carbonation as you drink it.
The taste is what I really like about this beer. The coffee and chocolate flavors are there (as you would expect in a dark ale) but they're not too strong and was still very refreshing after a long day mucking around in the garden.
I had the beer with a fish stick sandwich and peas (a poor man's fish and chips, minus the chips) and this beer I think goes better with beef or poultry rich in flavor rather than fish. Still, very good and since I have a six pack, I'll have to try it with some other meals and see how it does. (871 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19%

poured a deep mahogony color with large puffy head that dissipated to thin lacing. Smell is chocolately-carmel with coffee background. Taste is superb with a slight sweetness, deep coffee-chocolate overtones and a lingering bitterness. An extremely tasty enjoyable beer. (270 characters)

12oz. bottle, chilled

Pours a dark brown-amber, has a beige one-finger head that lasts awhile. Seems to have a low amount of carbonation. Aroma is very much like a porter, mostly sweet chocolate-caramel, roasted malts. Has a medium-bodied mouthfeel to it, and the taste matches the aroma, very malty, on the sweet side but not too much, has a nice little hop finish. I really enjoyed this beer, would say it has a high "drinkability" for me.
This is the second Brown Ale I've tried, after Newcastle, and I definitely like Turbodog more, it doesn't seem as bland or thin. Abita did right with this one, it's good! (613 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

A- The color of the brew is brown, with rich burgundy hues mixed in there as well. Nice carbonation.

S- The aromas are of sweet, roasted malts primarily. On the finish there is an ever so slight aroma of bitter hops.

T- A well balnced taste but nothing that says wow. First there is some semi chocolate flavors that has some caramel/toffee with a hint of ground nuts Just the right amount of bitterness.

M- Good solid medium body.

D- This is an excellent beer. I keep these around when friends are over whom seem to like this. I do enjoy a couple of these at a time. I recommend this beer for anyone who wants to have a very good example of a brown ale! However not in the same league as Rogue Hazelnut brown or Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale. (745 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a very dark brown that was slightly opaque. Had a nice two finger light creamy brown head. The head clung to the sides of the glass and left a thin layer on top. Aroma smelled like a fine dark chocolate. Sweet, but very flavorful. Tasted like a chocolate mocha coffee. Very smooth beer. No bitterness at all in the mouth. Coated very well, but not terribly sticky. Easy to drink.

Bottle was notched best by 10/25. (460 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

On pour into nonic glass it produced med. carbonation and a two finger head that collapsed to about 1/2" but was persistent/clinging. Color was a deep brown. Aroma was a pleasing sourness (I think the alt yeast at work here), coffee notes. Taste was exceptional, I immediately detected fruit (stone fruits, plum) and then bitter chocolate. Nice hop finish with the Williamette being a good choice for this ale. A more citric/flowery variety would have detracted from the above flavor components. Drinkability enhanced by the smoothness of this ale....a distinct slider... I think this is a unique beer in that it has some English brown ale qualities but the alt yeast gives it more complexity. (693 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours from a twist-cap 12oz brown stubby bottle into a globe glass. It has a deep dark brown color with ample off-white head. The head has good retention and leaves nice lacing behind.

Aroma is rich in dark malts and chocolate.

Flavor is very good with coffee, dark chocolate, and toffee. Well-rounded roasted malts balance well with the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is good and seems just about right for the style. Drinkability is very good.

I can't really find anything wrong here. This is one that we used to enjoy in college (as a special treat) and it still doesn't disappoint. (580 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

Man I had no idea this was an brown ale till I look up the info here. Got this in a mix and match sixer

A - Nice tar dark brown color with a nice lacing head.
S - Man it smells great! Nice toffee and walnut! Very inviting!
T - Mild coffee malt with a really smooth nut taste.
M - Very creamy and highly drinkable.
D - I would track down a reasonably priced sixer! (365 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearence: very dark brown ale, with a thick tan foamy head that has very good retention.

Smell: The sweet chocolate toffee wonderfully rips through the nostrils.

Taste: Wow!! A relatively inexpensive beer, and thus was not expecting much. I know, don't judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes you cannot help it. The toffee taste is very present, and welcomed by the taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth, this beer really is amazing me more with every sip.

Drinkability: Yes please, I'll have some more. But not to many, unfortunately while the toffee taste is strong and welcomed I can only stomach a couple of these before my taste buds are overwhelmed with chocolate. (690 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%

I haven't been really impressed by the othe Abita beers I have has so far so this beer was a welcome suprise. This beer begins with a deep, rich smell. Dark and malty looking, it poured average but really shines on the initial taste. Aftertaste lingers very short so that finish is clean. (288 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

There's a popular meet and greet watering hole near my house. The food is below average on a good day, but the drinks are excellent. Mrs. Obama and Malia went to this place a couple of times, I am told. This is the place where I first tried Abita Turbodog, and shortly thereafter I announced that it was my favorite beer. I hit the net the next day looking for a place that sold it in bottles. I prefer to do my drinking at home to avoid having to drive.

It's a dark ale with a good strong taste. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor, and it's not too heavy. Coming out of the tap, this was indeed an excellent beer, but coming out of the bottle it just isn't the same. In fact, I don't intend to waste my time getting bottles of this. There's only so much time in life for beer drinking, and, while this is okay, it's just not as super fantastic as it was from the tap. Whenever I go back to that place, I always get this though. (943 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

A- The color of the brew is brown, with rich burgundy hues mixed in there as well. It is a perfectly clear ale and seems to have lots of big bubbly carbonation. The head is initially thick and tan colored, but dissipates quickly to a thin layer. Good clingy lacing sticks to the glass as well.

S- The aromas are of heavy sweet malt primarily. There is some roasted smells as well, but they are still sweet, like semi-sweet chocolate and some molasses. On the finish there is an ever so slight aroma of bitter hops.

T- A really good blend of sweet and toasted character. First there is some sweet chocolate flavors that has some caramel/toffee in it as well and maybe even some ground nuts. This turns into a more roasted tone of cocoa and/or fresh coffee....finally finishing with just the right amount of bitterness.

M- Good solid medium-full body and the carbonation, while initially quite fizzy, settles down to become finer, but still with a little zing. Feels to a point like I'm enjoying some bittersweet fondue.

D- This is an excellent beer, and although I wouldn't necessarily have more than one or two of these on it's own, I'd definitely like to try this again with a meal...some sweet rubbed baby back ribs perhaps. I recommend this beer for anyone who wants to have a very good example of a brown ale! (1,318 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Bought a single Summer 2014. Poured into a pint served cool.

appearance: cola brown with a thick khaki head.

smell: roasty, chocolately

taste: thick roasty chocolate

mouthfeel: nice and solid

overall: excellent tasty brown ale. (232 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a nice mahogany color with a lofty and mildly retentive coca cola head. Very mild carbonation. There's nothing like a nice malty brown ale. This one smells like tootsie rolls. I will attribute that to the crystal and chocolate malts. As I start to drink it I can see some lacing begin to form. The flavor is rich, round, and full. Toasted chocolate malt with a nice dry touch of hops right at the very end make it a sturdily balanced brown ale. Mouthfeel is pretty decent, smooth and milky. Roasted aftertaste provides a good affect. Almost sessionable. I would compare this to Sammy Smith. (596 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a 6 pack of 12 oz bottles from my local grocery store and they are clearly marked with a freshness date. From the bottle to a pint glass out pours a dark brown ale with a mahogany hue. Swirling the tan head around the glass reveals a thin sticky lacing. A good inhale detects notes of a dark crystal malt in a brew of caramel, chocolate, dark fruits (kiwi, fig, prune or plum?) and a hops spice. The taste has a rich mouthfeel with a medium body. Dark-sticky-sweet malty caramel and chocolate flavors are dominant, with a light crisp hops bitterness that cleanses the pallet. To profile this English brown ale, it's not far off from today's stouts and porters, very similar to a Full Sail Session Black without the liquorice or a distant relative of Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale, one that lives just down the road. (824 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, the beer is a deep, dark amber-brown. Crystal in color, with mid-density, tan colored head. Aromas of coffee and chocolate, with dark molasses characteristics. Bold flavors of dark roasted coffee, with some chocolate highlights and semi-sweet toffee flavors, also. The brew is smooth and light in mouth, and the flavors remain very crisp. Slight bitter coffee aftertaste with a reasonably quick finish. Smooth and tasty, this one is easy going down. (489 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Deep mahogany, but clear when held up to a bright light source. Head was tan, but lackluster in its volume; lacing was decent.

S: Sweet and acrid toasted malt. Dried fruit. Faint coffee?

T: The sweet malt is there, but less strong than I was expecting based on the nose. This fades into a tart, fruity flavor (I can't quite decide which fruit it's closest to), then into a medium-bitter hops finish, with the faintest hint of fatty acid lingering on the palate afterward.

M: Moist initially, with good, crisp carbonation. The finish is dry, with just a little astringency.

O: Not great, but quite good -- a solid English style brown ale. The flavors balance well, with none overpowering. I'd certainly pick up another pack, as long as it's reasonably priced. (767 characters)

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.