Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Reviews: 976 | Hads: 2,687
4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

I'm not a huge fan of brown ales, that being said turbo dog is a huge exception. It reminds me less of a brown ale and more of a porter without being too heavy and full bodied. 10/10 would drink again. (201 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a dark chocolate brown with an off-wite, scattered head. The toffee aroma is followed by a chocolate and caramel malt flavor. Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated. This uniquely smooth ale finishes clean, but otherwise is an unimpressive beer for the style. (263 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

My mom always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So here's something nice: My wife is freakin' hot.

Now for the beer review.

The beer started out great. It looked very pretty. Almost like a cola, with little no light shining through and a 1 finger tawny head with decent retention. It smelled really interesting. Sweet and malty with a very light hop aroma. I was excited. Then I started drinking it. Hm. Malt up front, bitter coffee to follow, and not a thing in between to tie it together. The first couple of swallows fell flat. The more I drank, the worse it tasted, as the unbalanced sweetness produced a sour aftertaste. It didn't feel nice in my mouth at all. It was very thin, and the bitterness of the coffee flavors combined with the sweet-induced sour was really not too pleasant. I actually didn't finish drinking it because it just seemed like a waste of calories.

Oddly enough, my freakin' hot wife, who likes Michelob Ultra thought this stuff was pretty good... go figure! (1,023 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Very distinct head yet recedes quickly. The body is very, very dark, and has a definite taste of tamarind. Treat this beer with respect as it gives you pleasure in its session.

I really enjoyed the flavor as it is astringent with a lemony aftertaste.

Cheers! (287 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Never thought I would see this in Northwest Ohio, but to my surprise there she was at my local beverage center. I should have waited until I made my chicken fajitas to try it but i couldn't resist. It pours rather nicely with a thick light brown head that lasted about halfway through the glass. The color is accurately described in previous reviews, dark golden brown. The main surprise hit me with how light the mouth feel is for something so dark and with such a rich aroma. Great taste that didn't weigh on me and created a nice appetite. Can't wait to try it on draft. (573 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

A BotMC bottle.

Preface: this reminds me of some porters. I'm not good at reviewing porters. They seem like a cross between a weak stout and an oddly flavored ale. But that said...

A: Pours a deep, reddish brown, almost black. A nice creamy tan head that fades a bit too quickly.

S: Roasted toffee/coffee

T: Not bad tasting. Roasted toffee favor, but much lighter than expected based on the appearance. The flavor rises a bit in the aftertaste. Not objectionable.

M: Light, crisp, nicely carbonated.

D: Not very heavy, no bitterness.

Overall, this beer isn't bad, but seems a bit 1-dimensional. (601 characters)

Probably one of the best offerings one can enjoy from Abita! This brew pours up a deep, dark chocolaty brown body and sports a rich, foamy tan-colored head. Scents of espresso, caramel, roasted malts and even those of a well aged bourbon. Flavors of slow-roasted coffee, dark chocolates and bits of toffee; also mixed in this complex brew are dark fruits (akin to plums). (371 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -39.7%

Man I dont know what it is with abita but this looked and smelled great dark brown with a nice head and sweat chocolate and nuts but then the taste is just a train wreck. It is hard to imagine how it can go from smelling and looking so good to falling short so fast. I think i am done with abita they cant say i didnt give them a chance though (343 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%

Nice dark brown with amber glares. Pours out a thick frothy head that oddly disappears rather quickly. Chocalate Malt dominated the smell and there is little to no hop character. The first two out of the six pack did not impress me but the third which I have right now in the pilsner in front of me has definatley made its review alot better. Its probably the mouthfeel and the smooth sweet after taste that has changed my mind about this one. Another six pack might do the trick. (480 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Had from a bottle into a glass. Served chilled, and allowed to warm up while drinking(as if I had a choice).

Malty smell, with a nice, deep brown color. Slightly heavier mouthfeel than something like Downtown Brown(Lost Coast), but still very easy to handle. Very fine, sparkling carbonation that adds an almost soda-like effect to the feel.

Taste is great. Malty as a brown ale should be, with just a bit of residual sweetness and a very light, pleasant hop character. Fisrt to hit the tongue is sweetness, then chocolatey, roasty malt flavors, then a drying bitterness, with just a bit of leftover malt. Dryness is great. Makes you want to drink more.

All in all, very drinkable, and very enjoyable, especially since I picked this one up without even reading the label or knowing the style. (796 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Grabbed a bottle of this @ Premier Gourmet.

Pours a bit darker than most brown's I've had. A small but clingy tannish head sticks around for a bit. The smell is of roasted malt, not much else, perhaps a little bit of coffee? The taste isn't much more complex, but that's not to say it isn't a smooth enjoyable beer. I'm not a huge fan of browns, but this one I did enjoy. (374 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a deep dark brown. Looks burnt. Small head becomes a persistent tan lace. Medium to heavy carbonation

S: Coffee, toffee, malt and chocolate. Has a creaminess to it also. Pretty pleasant nose.

T: Off the bat a bit subdued. Bitterness moves into chocolate-coffee flavors. Finishes with burnt toffee and nice hoppiness. The hops, malt and toffee persist on the finish. While the flavors are pronounced and pleasant, they almost taste diluted. Creaminess is really missed in this flavor profile.

M: Mouthfeel is totally lacking, and really killed this beer for me. I wanted more body, and less carbonation.

D: I really wanted to like this beer, but in the end it just makes me wish I had a stout instead. The lack of body is obvious and really detrimental to the brew. I am having a hard time seperating my own preferences on this one. I think that Abita may have just taken the style a little too far. Would not drink another one. (942 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.9%

This beer IS New Orleans. Turbodog has a great rich flavor, a deep musky aroma, and a huge-ass head. Yet with all that, it goes down as smoothly as any lite beer, strange, no? Found at basically any cajun restaurant this is a great sidearm to bring into battle with that spicy jambalaya, or spicy anything for that matter. Turbodog quenches thirst like fucking gatorade. Even though its one of the darker brewskis I enjoy, I can still put back more than a few because of its superior drinkability, Bud Lites got nothing on this baby! (533 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

A nice brown ale from the bayou.
Comes in a 12oz. bottle with the best by date clearly notched on
the back.
Pours a nice dark brown with ruby highlights and a tan head that
settles down to leave a nice laceing around the glass.
A nice malt taste with hints of coffee / toffee. Has a bit of hops
dryness after the swallow. This beer does have a good taste to it.
Abita has a good one here and i'll be revisiting it from time to time.
A good beer to have on a cold winter day. (483 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16%

Poured dark brown with a thick creamy mocha head. Aroma of caramel, chocolate with a hint of vanilla. The flavor is of unsweetened dark chocolate and coffee, not very hoppy which is a plus, not real complex but a good flavor none the less. To me this is a good solid dark beer, but nothing really stands out to put it in the superior category. (343 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%

Well, this brew is quite notorious among the enlightened (micro drinkers), so it's about time I actually bought a sixer (instead of bumming one or two off of a friend) and sat down to review it. I was somewhat spurred into action by Hurricane Katrina and her obviously negative impact on Abita's output. So here I am with twelve bottles of Turbodog and a few million willing tastebuds.

It pours like something between a porter and a Scottish ale. It's more black than brown to me, and that doesn't really prepare me for a brown ale, but it is still appetizing. Nose is exactly what you expect, though; it smells almost exactly like Newcastle on tap. Having not tasted the brew for at least 6 months, I wasn't totally sure what I was getting into. The results were... interesting.

The taste is both true to style and a bit divulgant. Bready maltiness abounds, but it is counteracted by roasted character. Hop bitterness almost perfectly balances these flavors, resulting in a very smooth and easy to drink beer. I suspect this is much of the reason for its popularity. Fruit flavors, mainly prune, are buried underneath the mild coffee flavor, and a little chocolate is hiding there too. By the third pint, a hint of caramel becomes evident. The sweeter malts stay through the finish, and hop flavors are all but forgotten by this point.

All in all, it's an intertesting brew, and obviously would make for a good session beer. Alcohol is apparently very low, as I can drink six pints of this and still play it off (and I am admittedly a lightweight). Not really a personal favorite, but certainly something I can drink with my friends who have been bitten by the dog. (1,675 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

Abita Turbodog from Abita Springs, LA.

This beer was not sweet, almost bitter, not hoppy, and honestly, didn't really have much of a taste. Disappointing, especially coming from Abita, which I normally like.

I drank it on-tap in a 6-beer sampler at The Casual Pint in Knoxville, TN on 12/14/2012.

No. (303 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +32.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic glass

L - dark brown with good amount of foam, but quickly collapses

S - hints of chocolate and coffee with a malt background

T - chocolate all around, almost milk chocolate like Hershey's

F - very smooth and light. Really coats the mouth with chocolate

O - what a delicious brew! I've never ventured into brown ales before but have had Dunkels before. TB is pretty close but has that ale feel to it. Very good, you have to try it (471 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours out with about 2 inches of head. Has a dark brown color to it. Darker than most in this style. Smell comes out with slights amount of roasted malts and caramel is detected. The taste starts off with rich malty taste the malts make for a sweet beginning to a drink, with caramel undertones again. The end has a nice bite of hops. This is appreciated. The mouthfeel feels a little bit too much like water, but is not like a Bud light by any means. This is a beer a guy/gal could session on all night long. I do enjoy Brown's for being what they are simple tasty and versatile. This Brown does better than most at that. (622 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer.

Poured into a glass. Had a nice smell of carmel and coffee. Dark with tan head. Nice lacing.

First taste starts slightly sweet. Nice carmel and coffee notes in the flavor.

Medium bodied beer with a perfect finish - not to hoppy. Has almost a toasted malt taste to me. This is the way I like my darker ale beers.

I could drink these for hours. Great with steak or just to relax with. (408 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

I just had this beer for the 1st time the other night on tap @ my local watering hole. It has a nice light brown color with a little head. it had a light chocolate aroma & the taste was smiler to the smell. It was a light chocolate flavor but not too sweet, with some toffee, hops, & just a bit on the bitter side. Overall a average to good beer but I was ready to move on to a different beer rather than have another. (418 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

A- The color of the brew is brown, with rich burgundy hues mixed in there as well. Nice carbonation.

S- The aromas are of sweet, roasted malts primarily. On the finish there is an ever so slight aroma of bitter hops.

T- A well balnced taste but nothing that says wow. First there is some semi chocolate flavors that has some caramel/toffee with a hint of ground nuts Just the right amount of bitterness.

M- Good solid medium body.

D- This is an excellent beer. I keep these around when friends are over whom seem to like this. I do enjoy a couple of these at a time. I recommend this beer for anyone who wants to have a very good example of a brown ale! However not in the same league as Rogue Hazelnut brown or Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale. (745 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +8%

From my notes: Turbodog was my favorite beer for years and years, until I learned the joys of hops and American Brown Ales. Still, I’ll always have a soft spot for the brew. Not the best-looking pint, dark brown with a cheap, fizzy head. Nose is slightly sweet, with solid chocolate notes. And Turbodog doesn’t hold the same mystique of flavor now, unfortunately, but the requirements for a solid Brown Ale do show up. Chocolate and a mild coffee bite, modest bitter finish with subtleties of mocha and hops. Thin texture hinders the malts; not my favorite anymore, but still worth the occasional roll in the hay. (617 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

A little rough around the edges and a tad to light for me. The flavor is awesome though, it just doesn't hang around in your mouth long enough. Still worth looking for and tasting. (182 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

A.) Dark brown with a thick tan head with a good bit of lacing. Head quickly dissipates.

S.) Malty and sweet. A hint of fruitiness.

T.) Tastes of caramel, coffee, and malts.

M.) A medium thickness without a whole of of carbonation.

D.) I like this beer, but I can only have one of these in a seating. (305 characters)

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.