Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

There is not much going on here. Poured a dark brown with a respectable head with good retention. Looked good for a fast start. No aroma! OK, a lot of good beers don't. Slowed going into the first corner. What! No taste either! Alright, there is some coffee, but not much. Almost came to a stop in the second turn. Feel is barely medium with decent carbonation. Limping through the third turn. Drinkability? Who cares! No kick left for the finish. Overall, not horrible, but bland and disappointing.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours dark brown with an abundant tan head. The aroma is of dark roasted chocolate malt and toffee. The flavors of dark chocolate and the sweetness of the malt come through. There's some bitterness and herbal flavor of the hops which helps balance this beer's flavor profile. The body is medium and the carbonation is average, which helps this beer drink very well. This was always one of my favorites from Abita and it still is. This is an excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.38/5  rDev +20%

Abita was one of the first micros available in my area -- lo these many years ago. I haven't had it in a while, but was inspired by one of my cousins who said he drinks it all the time and really enjoys it -- mind you, this from a converted BMC drinker.

12 ounce stubby, no visible bottling or best-by date on the label.

Northern, or Southern English Brown..?

A -- Clear, deep chestnut brown with a very substantial, dense, tan head.

S -- Nice balance of chocolate and roasted malts, some toasted nut character with warming.

T -- Milk chocolate character up front that blends into mellow roasted malts. Some very mellow citrus fruitiness toward the finish, the mellow roasted malt follows through in the afertaste.

M -- Mouthfeel is Smooth and creamy with a medium to lightly heavy body.

O -- Based on guidelines, this beer straddles Northern & Southern English Brown characteristics -- and the drinker is the winner. A very smooth, mellow, yet robust beer. Great balance of sweet and roasted malts. If you crave a Brown and this is available, give it a go.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

A: Big (it filled up a 7 inch tall glass on the pour) brown head that as I top it up is still large but has a worth it texture on top. The beer is a deep brown, like the color of a real rootbeer or cola. Not much active carbonation as I can see it, oh wait, the beer is just darker than I thought and lets through little light. Seems clear-ish with decent active carb. This head is just stickin around too long. Grr. I really wanted to give this beer a 3.5, but the texture on the head is making me bump it up to 4. Now after drinking some more, the head unfortunately just fades away when I'm not 1/3 done with the beer. Down to 3.5, look below for details.

S: Caramel cookies is my first impression, with nuts. No hops that I can detect, at least nothing to make me say "This is hoppy". But yeah, a caramel-brown sugar-baked bread combination that is good. Not great, not overly strong, but good. There's the aroma of...roasted peanuts? Maybe? The more I smell the more I get even a baked cocoa smell as well.

T: Hmm, yep that chocolate taste is stronger on the tongue, almost a chocolate liqueur type taste. I'm not sure if I dig it. The more I go, the more a little caramel nuttiness gets in there, it dries out too. It's an interesting, if not uninspired taste. I'm going to go with a four here and downgrade the Appearance to a 3.5 and let that average out.

M: Very light and flat, sadly. Almost watery. Needs a little more carb I think but obviously less protein.

D: Very drinkable, one of the lightest beers though I wouldn't recommend to convert a BMC drinker. Not sure why that came to mind but I just don't think it would work.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

My first beer from this brewery, and I was somewhat pleasantly surprised.

Poured a deep, dark brown, almost black, with a small head (probably poured it too cold, I was eager). Would likely have been Guinness-y looking if I'd done it right.

Smell is toffee, wine, and a bit overly sweet with some strong maple syrup elements.

Thick, coating mouthfeel that was a bit odd. Toffee and earthy elements dominate the flavour, with a light bitterness and a dry edge that shows up later. Possibly some sour fruit (apples?) in there as well.

Not a bad brew, especially since I just bought it because of the name. Will try some others from Abita if I can get them, to see how it goes.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Great dark brown colour, and no head. Great sweet smell with some detectable malt in the nose. The taste isn't great, but its got some good qualities. This beer is similar in the mouth to other Abita brews. Medium-bodied and not overpowering, but not too flavourful.

2.67/5  rDev -26.8%

Dark ruby brown with a tan bubbly head. Chocolate and dark roasted malts graze the nose. Creamy, large and massive carbonation, yet simplistic for the style; caramel malts and cocoa, with light roasted coffee beans in the initial sips. The body is bland, a touch of nutty flavorings, somewhat watered-down with toffee malts and traces of oats. Incredibly boring; skip this over-rated beer.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Only microbrew I've had with twist-off bottle caps. Pours a dark brown with off-white head that it did not retain for long. Minimal carbonation, very smooth and drinkable with light body and mouthfeel. Reminded me a bit of Newcastle, but not as sweet. I liked it. Not much aroma.

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours dark brown with a generous one inch mocha colored head that settles to a foamy beige lace. Good retention.
The aroma of malts and toffee.
The taste was of malts,toffee and hints of chocolate.
The feel was smooth,well balanced,medium carbonation and body. Some mild hop bitterness in the finish,but nothing too distracting.

Notes: One of my personal favorites and my go to English brown ale. A pleasure to have.

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.