1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,101 | Reviews: 944 | Show All Ratings:
misterdmac

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

From the 12oz short bottle, you can feel the burly medium body in the pour. It's doesn't look thick, but you can tell you're in for a slight heft.

It pours a DARK brown, with some amber tints under more light. Head formation wasn't amazing, around 1 finger from my bottle, and retention wasn't any better. More lacing on the glass than I expected, all the same.

Smell is of sweet malts, mostly, and a bit of chocolate.

There's nothing extraordinary about the look or smell of this beer, but the taste is proportionally far more complex and, to my mind, delicious. I first notice a smoky caramel or toffee, which gives way to a slight hop bitterness on the back on the tongue. Very ripe fruit darts in and out across the palate. The finish contains that slight hop flavor and some serious chocolate.

This beer has a fairly staunch carbonation, not overly so, but a nice refreshing cascade of bubbles tumbles through the medium body.

I love this brew, especially for only $7.50/6p! I have to exercise some control when drinking it because of the body...it's so delicious, but too many and I'm doubled over and altogether asleep for the night. Very drinkable for the first one or two, and an awesome balance of sweet malts and hop bite in a good American brown ale. Enjoy.

01-28-2008 02:15:39 | More by misterdmac
Zeisloft

I am not a huge fan of Brown Ales, but I haven't had a TurboDog in a while, so I gave it a whirl.

It is exactly what I think a brown ale should taste like. Malty, a little sweeter than most, with a little hops pushing the beer forward.

Then beer is dark brown, with a tan head. The malt is the dominant taste, until the end where the little bit of hops coming in at the end. Maybe a bit too sweet, but the very light in the mouth making it very drinkable.

This a beer I would drink anytime I felt like a brown

11-02-2009 15:49:54 | More by Zeisloft
GilmooDaddy

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours an opaque brown with a fingernail sized foam head that dissapears shortly after pouring.

(Smell): Almost nonexistent, this Brown Ale has an extremely subtle smell of what I sensed to be a malty chocolate with a hint of nuttiness.

(Taste): I'll be harsh to judge here, but this beer tastes like the failed aftermath of a new seltzer experiment. It is very bland and subtle with absolutely no aftertaste.

(Mouthfeel): Watery and slightly carbonated.

(Drinkability): If you enjoy the taste (which might be asking a lot), the Turbodog might make a good session beer. With an almost complete lack of flavor and a low alcohol content, this Brown Ale won't be meeting my friends anytime soon.

01-23-2011 01:08:02 | More by GilmooDaddy
dedrick

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a bottle out of a six pack bought at Oliver's in Albany.

Appearance: Very dark reddish brown and clear. Moderate head, about 1/4 of the glass.

Smell: Moderate strength, sweet.

Taste: Somewhat sweet, I can taste a bit of molasses or brown sugar. Just a tiny bit soapy after taste. Overall a pretty good beer. Not very bitter.

Mouthfeel: Feels to have a bit more carbonation that most beers. It almost seems a little bit watery, which I have also noticed in other Abita beers. It couldn't hurt to have more body.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, smooth.

12-09-2009 21:33:54 | More by dedrick
yisseroff

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

A- Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Dark brown with some good looking and solid brown beige head.
S- Dark, porter-like aroma. Heavy on the chocolate malt.
T- A light-feeling dark chocolate, followed by fresh roasted coffee with a slight bitter presence. Nice transformation into the aftertaste.
M- Not to heavy or super-carbonated, a nice balance
D- I could knock down a few of these happily. Pretty nice balance of everything here.

03-06-2011 04:57:50 | More by yisseroff
mattLummus

Tennessee

4.11/5  rDev +12.6%

Overall, it is an great and balanced beer. Smell is nice and clean, mouthfeel is appropriately carbonated and adequately full. Not too sweet, bitter, or dark, but a good balance of all three. Fairly easy drinking and refreshing. Got a growler full of it.

Serving type: growler

01-26-2014 20:27:29 | More by mattLummus
oscplayr25

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Amazing dark rich color. The head of the beer also has a rich color to it. When held up to light its still hard to see the light coming through but you can see a redish tint in the beer.

S- Nice strong smell. Smells like a great beer and you can smell the hops in it.

T- Great taste. Reminds me of a chocolate stout. Hops are not too over powering.

M- It does not foam up in the mouth it stays nice and smooth.

D- Deffinetly one of the best Abita has to offer. A great taste and not too hard on the tongue or on the stomach. I say a 6pack will do. A good beer for dark ale lovers.

01-21-2008 06:49:27 | More by oscplayr25
realbama

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

This poured a dark, caramel-like color. It held an inch-thick creamy caramel colored head for about 2 minutes. Nice lacing. It smelled hoppy, but also with a hint of roasted nuts and chocolate. It was a bit watery in the mouth. I was expecting something thicker. The taste is worth the expense and it is definately an easy drink. I really enjoyed the aftertaste (smokey, chocolatey). My take: give it a whirl!

01-07-2010 01:12:40 | More by realbama
92jAKe47FS

Louisiana

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Again since I am from Louisiana I have to show a little bias, but I actually really like this beer. Pours a dark, dark brown, almost black with a about a finger worth of beige head. When you bring the glass up to smell you will almost immediately notice the faint aroma of chocolate. Has a very good taste going down with a clean finish. Mildly carbonated and decent lacing on the side of the glass.

07-22-2010 13:36:13 | More by 92jAKe47FS
Jeffro96

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +20%

I am a fan of dark flavorful ales and this beer met that mark well.

It started with a cream colored head two fingers thick in a frosted pint glass. The aroma was light but smelled of of sweetness and maybe a hint of fruit or citrus.

on the tongue it started with a mild sweetness that hinted at chocolate and coffee or toffee mingled with malt and perhaps bread followed by a slightly fruity lightly citrus flavor and a bite of hops and warm alcohol.

this beer finishes a bit dry and lingers on the palate, but in a good way. Good balance over all. A must try for any beer drinker.

01-02-2011 19:42:22 | More by Jeffro96
puertobrewing

Puerto Rico

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Poured very dark brown with a nice thick-tan head that dissipated a minute later leaving a ring and some lacing. Served in a Westvleteren chalice.

S - Not much. If you keep trying you will eventually get malt, light coffee and freshness.

T - Watered down taste of caramel, coffee, malt and brown sugar. Hops are there and you can tell but you can't taste them. After it warmed a bit the taste profile went higher. I would recommend to drink this beer at 65ºF more or less.

M - Carbonation is good and it has a sweet aftertaste.

O - Better than any commercial mass production beer, but I've tasted a lot of better brown ales.

03-30-2011 04:27:59 | More by puertobrewing
1after909

This had more of a stout look to me rather than a brown ale. It poured out black athough in no way as thick as a stout.

Good head remained as the glass filled. Cool and crisp taste going down.

Can't say I've ever had a disappointing taste from the Abita brands

07-18-2011 01:57:01 | More by 1after909
milesmayhem

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

I haven't been really impressed by the othe Abita beers I have has so far so this beer was a welcome suprise. This beer begins with a deep, rich smell. Dark and malty looking, it poured average but really shines on the initial taste. Aftertaste lingers very short so that finish is clean.

03-13-2006 05:19:43 | More by milesmayhem
77suburban

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Dark reddish brown. Pour a decent, creamy head, bubbles a bit large.

Smell: Caramel, cocoa, malt for sure. Slight yeast.

Taste: Medium body, a bit to the thinner side but holds up well. Malty, definitely - much smoother and more balanced than many brown ales. Chocolate, hazelnut.

Notes: This is one of my favorite brown ales. Many others overemphasize the nuttiness which is characteristic of this ale. Turbodog is more balanced and smooth - an easy drinker. I wouldn't want to drink more than one of the more high-end browns, but this could be a good one all evening. Would be perfect for a cook-out!

11-06-2007 22:31:35 | More by 77suburban
OldeGolde

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Laughing Dog beer glass, when I held this brew up to the light it was a dark blood red. In regular lighting- a rich dark brown that you can't see through- what's in there? Something dangerous perhaps...
The smell sums this beer up for me- it's got things going on (chocolate, barley, a little bitter), but it dies off a little short. Same with the taste- ends up slightly on the watery side despite keeping it real most of the way. This also brings down the points for mouthfeel, it's a little on the thin side for me. However, you can't forget that it's an ale, so despite the fact that it leans towards stout (oh yeah), it's up front about the ale factor, which explains the wateryness. All in all, a super solid brew, especially for the price, and one that I could see myself drinking quite a few of in one night. Will buy again.

09-04-2010 22:47:20 | More by OldeGolde
swampski

Louisiana

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

As I am from Louisiana bayou country, I consider this to be my main local microbrew. A very hearty and filling concoction that is the absolutely perfect choice to go with spicy boiled crawfish (or any other spicy Louisiana cuisine!) There is a hint of chocolate (maybe even coffee?) and well toasted biscuit. along with other ingredients that I can't pick out, but know they are there. It's called a brown ale, but it seems like a porter to me.

Some have said that this is a good session beer. Unless the session includes spicy food, I would have to respectfully disagree. I find myself having to carefully alternate this beer with a lighter beer, less the lingering aftertaste completely dominate my palette (I find Hoegaarden to be an excellent intermediary.)

The bottom line is that if you are visiting Louisiana and dining on a spicy seafood dish, you should wash it down with this local product. I am away a lot, and I never feel like I've arrived back home until I can get this into gut.

04-18-2012 17:33:30 | More by swampski
ferrouswolf

Delaware

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Served in a pint glass at ~45 F. Purchased warm, chilled at home.

A: Pleasant 1 finger light brown foam which dissipated in about a minute, leaving a ring with some lacing. Foam covers surface when swirled. Clear but deep red color when held up to light; brown otherwise.

S: Very faint aroma; cocoa, coffee and banana aromas if I really sniff deeply.

T: Front edge of roasty/fruity flavor which quickly fades to mineral-water finish with some hop bitterness. Occasional cardboard notes; I suspect that this may be the fault of the store where I bought it, though.

M: Thin mouthfeel with fine bubbles that stick around to the finish. I would expect a brown ale to have a bit more body, but this may be a personal preference.

Overall: This wasn't my favorite beer; I've had better and worse examples of the style. If this were a bit less bubbly and relabeled as a Dark Mild, I'd be all for it. But as a brown ale, it doesn't pack the punch that I would have expected from the label description, but then again I expected a porter rather than a brown ale. The rest of this 6-pack will probably go into a stew.

Bottom Line: I'd drink it, but I wouldn't order it.

01-05-2013 02:35:47 | More by ferrouswolf
agirlnamedjess

Connecticut

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

A- pours dark borwn with a caramel glow with a small cream colored head that dispersed quickly
s- a creamy malty sweet caramel aroma
t- light bitter chocolate malt flavor
m- light carbonation a little watered down started bitter and finished smooth
d- a very light brown ale, i could drink a million of these.

03-29-2009 21:44:43 | More by agirlnamedjess
evilbunnee

Oklahoma

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer surprised me, as it was a rowdy frat boy that suggested it to me. Very nice head, stood up to the test of time, and even though it was served slightly warm, the flavor was still decent. Chocolaty taste, with hints of a nuttiness to it. Drank from a standard pint glass, and lacing was not present at all that I could see.

02-05-2010 05:47:15 | More by evilbunnee
IBU99

Kansas

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer.

Poured into a glass. Had a nice smell of carmel and coffee. Dark with tan head. Nice lacing.

First taste starts slightly sweet. Nice carmel and coffee notes in the flavor.

Medium bodied beer with a perfect finish - not to hoppy. Has almost a toasted malt taste to me. This is the way I like my darker ale beers.

I could drink these for hours. Great with steak or just to relax with.

05-12-2010 23:23:22 | More by IBU99
dictatorial

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

This is pretty good. Had it in a stein, poured from a bottle. The initial appearance is very, very dark - almost opaque with a red tint. The smell was lacking, but that could just be me. The taste is at once very strong, with a bitter bite, only to immediately smooth out into a really delicious taste. The mouthfeel was especially nice with strong carbonation in a tight space - almost reminiscent of Dr. Pepper. Overall, a fantastic beer!

11-27-2012 01:15:04 | More by dictatorial
24Beer92

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Drank from pilsner glass. Appearance is very dark with a carmel colored head that starts out about two fingers thick than slowly dissapates to lacing around the edge. Has a very weak smell for the dark appearance. Taste a slight vanilla and for some reason i get a smoky after taste which i couldnt think of anything to compare it to. Its a very smooth beer, the mouthfeel is spot on for a brown ale. Overall not a bad beer, very happy i tried this but not something i will be looking to order again anytime soon basically just becuase there wasnt really that "WOW" factor

08-11-2011 23:07:59 | More by 24Beer92
Cugabuh

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

This brown ale will be a favorite for stout fans who are looking for something a little lighter.

As a dark, brown ale, one will immediately notice the chocolate & caramel flavor that’s prevalent in a lot of brown ales and stouts these days. Because of this, fans of lighter brown ales like Newcastle or Old Ellie’s shouldn’t expect another go-to brown ale. The flavor will be stronger and the body will be heavier.

This beer is the perfect dessert beer - creamy, yet light. I ate a slice of pound cake while I sipped this beer, and found myself smiling, right up ‘til the last drop!

12-06-2012 22:02:37 | More by Cugabuh
scott9890

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours caramel-brown not even a finger of lacing that dissapates in seconds. Right away, nut brown and rich.

A-Dark-brown in color(reminds me of rootbeer).

S-Picking up a good mix of the caramel/nut mixture. Predominantly nut, but toffee/caramel is in there.

T-Mostly roasted nuts, but there are undertones of the toffee-like sweetness.

M-Lacks carbonation from the start, but the nuttiness comes to its rescue quickly with a resounding roast finish.

O-I am a stout fan, but this gives me the curiosity to stray more often!

11-21-2011 13:53:07 | More by scott9890
Harmzy00

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

On-tap at Rub, a bbq joint in NYC. Wanted to experiment with something different. My partner-in-crime ended up with River Horse Tripel...probably the better choice overall but this beer worked out great with the bbq.
Easy to drink beer pairs well with dinner. Lighter than expected from appearance. Nothing too impressive but one looks more impressive to others with this darkish beer.

01-16-2012 23:20:57 | More by Harmzy00
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.