Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good

TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States | website

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Reviews: 999 | Ratings: 2,817
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown, but does allow some light through. Off-white head. Sweet malt nose has a brown sugar quality. Flavor is sweet with a rich creaminess similar to a good porter. Slightly skunky taste. Mild coffee finish. Easy drinking, but could be a bit more flavorful.

4.53/5  rDev +24.5%

Sampled on-tap at the Cock and Bull. I tried this beer in a bottle a while ago and I didn't care for it much. Then just recently I got some on tap and I tasted quite a difference.

Appearance: dark brown, slight lacing

Smell: Nice roasted malts slight chocolate

Taste: Again, slightly chocolately, slight hop/bitterness on the backside.

A favorite among the patrons at the C & B, they almost always have a tap on this and always fresh. You come on Wednesday's it's $5 liter night and I always get a liter of TurboDog. Perfect example of a brown.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Served in a shaker glass, on tap appropriately enough at The Barking Dog.

Appearance: a dark brown, almost black color, with a substantial tan head with good retention.

Aroma: roasted caramel malt aroma, with some nuttiness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: a strong roasted malt flavor with caramel, and a bit of chocolate and some nuttiness as well. It has a nice full mouth feel though a bit lighter than I expected.

Drinkability: This is a solid brown ale that I would enjoy again.

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

Very nice dark brown color with a creamy long-lasting head. Nice lacing on glass. Rich taste of roasted malt. Good mouth feel. I liked this beer a lot. I know some people lump Abita beers with BMC but, that is unfair. This is a good, tasty beer. Would pair well with the fare at the Abita Brew Pub.

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%

Nice creamy head and dark stout appearance. Very rich, malty look.

Smells a bit of coffee beans, dark chocolate.. Expecting to taste something with a more malty, stout-like flavor.

Some bite from the hops blends in uniquely with the densely rich textures of the brew. The taste is bold and a hair potent. The Dog has a coffee-like lingering finish.

Overall I thought this brew was surely unique and did enjoy it, however couldn't drink more than couple.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

very nice smell. Hazelnut, coffee, chocolate. Nice Red color, thick head. A very tasty brown ale with tastes of chocolate, malt, candy sugar, some ripe fruits. Finish has a slight taste of hops. Nice smooth brown ale, very nutty, very good. Not too shabby.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Abita Turbo dog
12 oz bottle poured into flying dog goblet

L: Dark brown to black. Good lacing. About dinner of head. Good head retention.

S: Sweet malt smell. Hints of chocolate and caramel.

T: Missing that umph. Light toffee taste.

F: Has a good mouth feel, a good body.

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: deep mahogany color, light tan head (similar to a Guinness) good and thick, a moderate amount of lace.

Smell: slightly nutty. My wife said "sesame".

Taste: Slightly nutty, slightly sweet. Which is what my wife says about me. The sweetness is not cloying, like so many brown ales can be. A nice, moderate hop bitterness that seems completely appropriate to the style.

Mouthfeel: Silky. Smooth, but not oily.

Drinkability: I decanted the bottle straight out of the fridge. Liked it much better as it warmed up. Cellar temperature from the beginning would make it better. Still, I wanted another as soon as I finished.

Overall: This is one of the better domestic brown ales I've had. I'll recommend this without hesitation. I also like the new label design.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Opaque brown, not much of a head, with a faintly sweet smell. The taste is quite distinctive for a brown ale, with a slightly roasted taste, with a strong chocolate flavor. Sweet too, with a fine balance of hops, but the predominant flavor is the chocolate. Thick and smooth mouthfeel. I think this beer would be fine with desert, but was not what I was looking for in a brown ale with dinner.

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Dark brown, almost black pour with a light tan head. Not much of a head to speak of. Leaves a slight lacing as it goes down.

S - Strong scent of sweet milk chocolate and toffee up front. Little bit of roasted malts in the background. Delicious smell!

T - Rather weak. Slight chocolate and toasted malts, but very faint. Huge disappointment after the smell.

M - Very thin and overly carbonated with a very faint chocolatey taste.

D - Refreshing to drink and definitely easy going down. Unfortunately the best part of this beer is the smell and appearance. Not the greatest example of a brown ale, but definitely not the worst either.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

A: a dark brown with some amber around the edges, with an off white head
S: very nutty smell to it like a proper brown ale
T: nice almond taste up front with some nice bready malt
M: crisp and refreshing, good carbonation
O: the best abita brew i have had, a true brown ale and a nice refreshment after a good trail ride on the mtn bike

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with ruby highlights when held up to light. Tan head with no visible carbonation has some nice lacing. Smells of sweetness with a hint of chocolate. Roasted maltiness in taste with some sweet chocolate notes as well as some coffee. Hop presence is definately there, but rather understated. An excellent balance of malt to hops for my taste. Overall a solid brew that I drink pretty often. The best offering from Abita in my opinion, at least of the options available to me.

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer poured a ruby brown color and was topped off with a very creamy. Good carbonation. There's some roastiness and caramel notes in the aroma, but overall weak in that regard. Is this a porter or a brown ale? I'm not sure I could distinguish, but it doesn't matter because the flavor is very pleasant. Roasted chocolate, toffee, burnt coffee come through with a nice underlying bitterness. Very drinkable and well made.

I am not a huge fan of Brown Ales, but I haven't had a TurboDog in a while, so I gave it a whirl.

It is exactly what I think a brown ale should taste like. Malty, a little sweeter than most, with a little hops pushing the beer forward.

Then beer is dark brown, with a tan head. The malt is the dominant taste, until the end where the little bit of hops coming in at the end. Maybe a bit too sweet, but the very light in the mouth making it very drinkable.

This a beer I would drink anytime I felt like a brown

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

big, fluffy, rootbeer-float looking tan head with a thick, super dark and hazy brown body.
smells a bit roasty...some fruity notes coming through and a drizzle of caramel.
taste is malty as hell. roasty chocolate. lots of caramel. mild bitterness, pushes through more on the finish. the further you get down the glass (the more it warms), the more bitterness is present...but it's never much, and never unpleasant.
mouthfeel is a bit thinner than i would have thought...but still medium bodied. slick, almost creamy. slight prickle from the carbonation...but not much, and only up front.
i like this one...but i'm not entirely sure how often i'd drink it. if it was a little less roasty, i'd probably like it a bit more. drinks a bit like a chocolate stout, honestly. which i like...but still. not what i was expecting, and still can't decide if i was pleasantly surprised. maybe i should give this one another shot again sometime.

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%

All right so I’m bias, however this is an exceptional beer. When ever you get a chance you should support your local micro brew… that is if you think its worth a damn. Back to the beer. As far as this brew goes you can’t beat it for a domestic its got some meat to it. Dark in appearance, appealing bottle, and a smooth taste (chocolate hops with coffee overtones). Man I can drink this stuff for hours. It does help if you can get it fresh, I tried it in a Texas bar not nearly as good. This is definitely worth a try if you can get a holt of it.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

A- Dark, dark brown that reminds me of root beer. The head and lacing were light brown and sparse.

S- Chocolate, toffee and sweet, sweet ripened fruit.

T- It's an interesting mix. First I pick up the toffee and chocolate tastes. Neither is overwhelming and it's a nice blend. Then I noticed a strong fruit flavor that was almost grapish. Overall, a very unique flavor.

M- Light body with good amount of carbonation.

D- Like I said, this was an interesting beer. That means it would be good for a couple beers, but I definitely wouldn't session this. I enjoyed it for one bottle, but I doubt this will be a regular for me.

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A unique dark reddish brown color, odd for a beer but not visually unappealing.

S: Caramel and toffee are present on the nose, minimal is any hop floral notes.

T: Complex sweet flavors up front transition but surprisingly smooth on the finish. There is a slight lingering dark fruit flavor of prunes which is difficult to place.

M: Turbodog finishes clean, not watery but could have a thicker mouth feel to match the flavors of the beer.

O: A unique hybrid between an amber and brown ale, having disticnt flavor characteristics from both. Clearly a popular beer which fills a nice niche and is available nation wide, a solid offering from Abita.

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

A-N/A- drank em all out of the bottle

S- hints of chocolate, malty aroma

T- similar to the smell but some how more complex, again hits of chocolate, malty flavor

M-medium thickness, not watery but not thick; average bubbles

D- drinkable, did drink six of them just hanging out.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in a pint glass from bottle.

Appearance: Decent head on the beer, but fades quickly, and leaves a nice spotty lacing.

Smell: Caramel, hints of chocolate, toffee, and some slight fruit esters come through, very pleasant and mellow.

Taste: No surprise here, the roastiness and malts come through very pleasantly. Nice balance on the flavors. Hints of chocolate, toffee, caramel, and a slight earthiness come through.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation. It is slightly thin to me, but it was good. It washes over your palate well, allowing you to pick up the notes well.

Drinkability: Above average. I found it quite good overall.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Served in a pint glass at ~45 F. Purchased warm, chilled at home.

A: Pleasant 1 finger light brown foam which dissipated in about a minute, leaving a ring with some lacing. Foam covers surface when swirled. Clear but deep red color when held up to light; brown otherwise.

S: Very faint aroma; cocoa, coffee and banana aromas if I really sniff deeply.

T: Front edge of roasty/fruity flavor which quickly fades to mineral-water finish with some hop bitterness. Occasional cardboard notes; I suspect that this may be the fault of the store where I bought it, though.

M: Thin mouthfeel with fine bubbles that stick around to the finish. I would expect a brown ale to have a bit more body, but this may be a personal preference.

Overall: This wasn't my favorite beer; I've had better and worse examples of the style. If this were a bit less bubbly and relabeled as a Dark Mild, I'd be all for it. But as a brown ale, it doesn't pack the punch that I would have expected from the label description, but then again I expected a porter rather than a brown ale. The rest of this 6-pack will probably go into a stew.

Bottom Line: I'd drink it, but I wouldn't order it.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

I'm not a huge fan of brown ales, that being said turbo dog is a huge exception. It reminds me less of a brown ale and more of a porter without being too heavy and full bodied. 10/10 would drink again.

3.16/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a dark chocolate brown with an off-wite, scattered head. The toffee aroma is followed by a chocolate and caramel malt flavor. Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated. This uniquely smooth ale finishes clean, but otherwise is an unimpressive beer for the style.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

My mom always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So here's something nice: My wife is freakin' hot.

Now for the beer review.

The beer started out great. It looked very pretty. Almost like a cola, with little no light shining through and a 1 finger tawny head with decent retention. It smelled really interesting. Sweet and malty with a very light hop aroma. I was excited. Then I started drinking it. Hm. Malt up front, bitter coffee to follow, and not a thing in between to tie it together. The first couple of swallows fell flat. The more I drank, the worse it tasted, as the unbalanced sweetness produced a sour aftertaste. It didn't feel nice in my mouth at all. It was very thin, and the bitterness of the coffee flavors combined with the sweet-induced sour was really not too pleasant. I actually didn't finish drinking it because it just seemed like a waste of calories.

Oddly enough, my freakin' hot wife, who likes Michelob Ultra thought this stuff was pretty good... go figure!

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a tulip glass. Very distinct head yet recedes quickly. The body is very, very dark, and has a definite taste of tamarind. Treat this beer with respect as it gives you pleasure in its session.

I really enjoyed the flavor as it is astringent with a lemony aftertaste.

Cheers!

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.