Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,655 | Reviews: 997
3.47/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Dark brown, almost black pour with a light tan head. Not much of a head to speak of. Leaves a slight lacing as it goes down.

S - Strong scent of sweet milk chocolate and toffee up front. Little bit of roasted malts in the background. Delicious smell!

T - Rather weak. Slight chocolate and toasted malts, but very faint. Huge disappointment after the smell.

M - Very thin and overly carbonated with a very faint chocolatey taste.

D - Refreshing to drink and definitely easy going down. Unfortunately the best part of this beer is the smell and appearance. Not the greatest example of a brown ale, but definitely not the worst either.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

A: a dark brown with some amber around the edges, with an off white head
S: very nutty smell to it like a proper brown ale
T: nice almond taste up front with some nice bready malt
M: crisp and refreshing, good carbonation
O: the best abita brew i have had, a true brown ale and a nice refreshment after a good trail ride on the mtn bike

3.26/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Kept seeing this at my fav bottle shop decided to go ahead and give it a go.I had higher expectations for this brew.It is very malty and if anything would go well with a good ol fashioned BBQ dinner.Maybe even make a good marinade with the rest of the six pack I bought.Not putting it down,just had hoped it would live up to the hype I have experienced and price was a little on the high side.Not the best review I know but was not passionate enough to do it.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with ruby highlights when held up to light. Tan head with no visible carbonation has some nice lacing. Smells of sweetness with a hint of chocolate. Roasted maltiness in taste with some sweet chocolate notes as well as some coffee. Hop presence is definately there, but rather understated. An excellent balance of malt to hops for my taste. Overall a solid brew that I drink pretty often. The best offering from Abita in my opinion, at least of the options available to me.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

This beer poured a ruby brown color and was topped off with a very creamy. Good carbonation. There's some roastiness and caramel notes in the aroma, but overall weak in that regard. Is this a porter or a brown ale? I'm not sure I could distinguish, but it doesn't matter because the flavor is very pleasant. Roasted chocolate, toffee, burnt coffee come through with a nice underlying bitterness. Very drinkable and well made.

I am not a huge fan of Brown Ales, but I haven't had a TurboDog in a while, so I gave it a whirl.

It is exactly what I think a brown ale should taste like. Malty, a little sweeter than most, with a little hops pushing the beer forward.

Then beer is dark brown, with a tan head. The malt is the dominant taste, until the end where the little bit of hops coming in at the end. Maybe a bit too sweet, but the very light in the mouth making it very drinkable.

This a beer I would drink anytime I felt like a brown

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

big, fluffy, rootbeer-float looking tan head with a thick, super dark and hazy brown body.
smells a bit roasty...some fruity notes coming through and a drizzle of caramel.
taste is malty as hell. roasty chocolate. lots of caramel. mild bitterness, pushes through more on the finish. the further you get down the glass (the more it warms), the more bitterness is present...but it's never much, and never unpleasant.
mouthfeel is a bit thinner than i would have thought...but still medium bodied. slick, almost creamy. slight prickle from the carbonation...but not much, and only up front.
i like this one...but i'm not entirely sure how often i'd drink it. if it was a little less roasty, i'd probably like it a bit more. drinks a bit like a chocolate stout, honestly. which i like...but still. not what i was expecting, and still can't decide if i was pleasantly surprised. maybe i should give this one another shot again sometime.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%

A- Dark, dark brown that reminds me of root beer. The head and lacing were light brown and sparse.

S- Chocolate, toffee and sweet, sweet ripened fruit.

T- It's an interesting mix. First I pick up the toffee and chocolate tastes. Neither is overwhelming and it's a nice blend. Then I noticed a strong fruit flavor that was almost grapish. Overall, a very unique flavor.

M- Light body with good amount of carbonation.

D- Like I said, this was an interesting beer. That means it would be good for a couple beers, but I definitely wouldn't session this. I enjoyed it for one bottle, but I doubt this will be a regular for me.

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A unique dark reddish brown color, odd for a beer but not visually unappealing.

S: Caramel and toffee are present on the nose, minimal is any hop floral notes.

T: Complex sweet flavors up front transition but surprisingly smooth on the finish. There is a slight lingering dark fruit flavor of prunes which is difficult to place.

M: Turbodog finishes clean, not watery but could have a thicker mouth feel to match the flavors of the beer.

O: A unique hybrid between an amber and brown ale, having disticnt flavor characteristics from both. Clearly a popular beer which fills a nice niche and is available nation wide, a solid offering from Abita.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

All right so I’m bias, however this is an exceptional beer. When ever you get a chance you should support your local micro brew… that is if you think its worth a damn. Back to the beer. As far as this brew goes you can’t beat it for a domestic its got some meat to it. Dark in appearance, appealing bottle, and a smooth taste (chocolate hops with coffee overtones). Man I can drink this stuff for hours. It does help if you can get it fresh, I tried it in a Texas bar not nearly as good. This is definitely worth a try if you can get a holt of it.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Opaque brown, not much of a head, with a faintly sweet smell. The taste is quite distinctive for a brown ale, with a slightly roasted taste, with a strong chocolate flavor. Sweet too, with a fine balance of hops, but the predominant flavor is the chocolate. Thick and smooth mouthfeel. I think this beer would be fine with desert, but was not what I was looking for in a brown ale with dinner.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

A-N/A- drank em all out of the bottle

S- hints of chocolate, malty aroma

T- similar to the smell but some how more complex, again hits of chocolate, malty flavor

M-medium thickness, not watery but not thick; average bubbles

D- drinkable, did drink six of them just hanging out.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Served in a pint glass from bottle.

Appearance: Decent head on the beer, but fades quickly, and leaves a nice spotty lacing.

Smell: Caramel, hints of chocolate, toffee, and some slight fruit esters come through, very pleasant and mellow.

Taste: No surprise here, the roastiness and malts come through very pleasantly. Nice balance on the flavors. Hints of chocolate, toffee, caramel, and a slight earthiness come through.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation. It is slightly thin to me, but it was good. It washes over your palate well, allowing you to pick up the notes well.

Drinkability: Above average. I found it quite good overall.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm not a huge fan of brown ales, that being said turbo dog is a huge exception. It reminds me less of a brown ale and more of a porter without being too heavy and full bodied. 10/10 would drink again.

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a dark chocolate brown with an off-wite, scattered head. The toffee aroma is followed by a chocolate and caramel malt flavor. Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated. This uniquely smooth ale finishes clean, but otherwise is an unimpressive beer for the style.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

My mom always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So here's something nice: My wife is freakin' hot.

Now for the beer review.

The beer started out great. It looked very pretty. Almost like a cola, with little no light shining through and a 1 finger tawny head with decent retention. It smelled really interesting. Sweet and malty with a very light hop aroma. I was excited. Then I started drinking it. Hm. Malt up front, bitter coffee to follow, and not a thing in between to tie it together. The first couple of swallows fell flat. The more I drank, the worse it tasted, as the unbalanced sweetness produced a sour aftertaste. It didn't feel nice in my mouth at all. It was very thin, and the bitterness of the coffee flavors combined with the sweet-induced sour was really not too pleasant. I actually didn't finish drinking it because it just seemed like a waste of calories.

Oddly enough, my freakin' hot wife, who likes Michelob Ultra thought this stuff was pretty good... go figure!

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a tulip glass. Very distinct head yet recedes quickly. The body is very, very dark, and has a definite taste of tamarind. Treat this beer with respect as it gives you pleasure in its session.

I really enjoyed the flavor as it is astringent with a lemony aftertaste.

Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Served in a pint glass at ~45 F. Purchased warm, chilled at home.

A: Pleasant 1 finger light brown foam which dissipated in about a minute, leaving a ring with some lacing. Foam covers surface when swirled. Clear but deep red color when held up to light; brown otherwise.

S: Very faint aroma; cocoa, coffee and banana aromas if I really sniff deeply.

T: Front edge of roasty/fruity flavor which quickly fades to mineral-water finish with some hop bitterness. Occasional cardboard notes; I suspect that this may be the fault of the store where I bought it, though.

M: Thin mouthfeel with fine bubbles that stick around to the finish. I would expect a brown ale to have a bit more body, but this may be a personal preference.

Overall: This wasn't my favorite beer; I've had better and worse examples of the style. If this were a bit less bubbly and relabeled as a Dark Mild, I'd be all for it. But as a brown ale, it doesn't pack the punch that I would have expected from the label description, but then again I expected a porter rather than a brown ale. The rest of this 6-pack will probably go into a stew.

Bottom Line: I'd drink it, but I wouldn't order it.

4.34/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting. Abita uses good water

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Never thought I would see this in Northwest Ohio, but to my surprise there she was at my local beverage center. I should have waited until I made my chicken fajitas to try it but i couldn't resist. It pours rather nicely with a thick light brown head that lasted about halfway through the glass. The color is accurately described in previous reviews, dark golden brown. The main surprise hit me with how light the mouth feel is for something so dark and with such a rich aroma. Great taste that didn't weigh on me and created a nice appetite. Can't wait to try it on draft.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

A BotMC bottle.

Preface: this reminds me of some porters. I'm not good at reviewing porters. They seem like a cross between a weak stout and an oddly flavored ale. But that said...

A: Pours a deep, reddish brown, almost black. A nice creamy tan head that fades a bit too quickly.

S: Roasted toffee/coffee

T: Not bad tasting. Roasted toffee favor, but much lighter than expected based on the appearance. The flavor rises a bit in the aftertaste. Not objectionable.

M: Light, crisp, nicely carbonated.

D: Not very heavy, no bitterness.

Overall, this beer isn't bad, but seems a bit 1-dimensional.

Probably one of the best offerings one can enjoy from Abita! This brew pours up a deep, dark chocolaty brown body and sports a rich, foamy tan-colored head. Scents of espresso, caramel, roasted malts and even those of a well aged bourbon. Flavors of slow-roasted coffee, dark chocolates and bits of toffee; also mixed in this complex brew are dark fruits (akin to plums).

2.19/5  rDev -40.2%

Man I dont know what it is with abita but this looked and smelled great dark brown with a nice head and sweat chocolate and nuts but then the taste is just a train wreck. It is hard to imagine how it can go from smelling and looking so good to falling short so fast. I think i am done with abita they cant say i didnt give them a chance though

3.17/5  rDev -13.4%

Nice dark brown with amber glares. Pours out a thick frothy head that oddly disappears rather quickly. Chocalate Malt dominated the smell and there is little to no hop character. The first two out of the six pack did not impress me but the third which I have right now in the pilsner in front of me has definatley made its review alot better. Its probably the mouthfeel and the smooth sweet after taste that has changed my mind about this one. Another six pack might do the trick.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

Had from a bottle into a glass. Served chilled, and allowed to warm up while drinking(as if I had a choice).

Malty smell, with a nice, deep brown color. Slightly heavier mouthfeel than something like Downtown Brown(Lost Coast), but still very easy to handle. Very fine, sparkling carbonation that adds an almost soda-like effect to the feel.

Taste is great. Malty as a brown ale should be, with just a bit of residual sweetness and a very light, pleasant hop character. Fisrt to hit the tongue is sweetness, then chocolatey, roasty malt flavors, then a drying bitterness, with just a bit of leftover malt. Dryness is great. Makes you want to drink more.

All in all, very drinkable, and very enjoyable, especially since I picked this one up without even reading the label or knowing the style.

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.