Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

Served at a restaurant. Maybe it was too cold. As it warmed it changed. Probably would need a second try to really evaluate. Woe is me.

Deep blackness with an amber head that was gone in 60 seconds. It looked inviting.

Picked up something weird on the initial whiff. Then... nothing. As the beer warmed, I got a little chocolate and malt.

Same with the taste. Honestly at first, I got nearly nothing flavor wise. Carbonated, heavy water. Not offensive at all, just completely bland. Warmed up and became better and better. Gone by the time it was finally getting to a reasonable temperature, since I split the bottle.

Dense mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Not overly heavy. Wouldn't mind having another one, but I'm assuming the beer is a little better than I'm rating it.

Chizoad, May 29, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a deep caramel brown color with a tan two finger head with pretty decent retention leaving fairly small amounts of lacing.

Smell is pretty mild with a malt presence, but nothing else really to detect.

Taste upfront is malts which have an almost chocolate like quality to them , but is pretty faint. It finishes with the flavor of nuts and a quite mild hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is about medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation that bites the tongue a bit.

Drinkablity is good. It goes down nice and easy and is not a bad tasting beer. It would make a good session brew although its not the most flavorful example of the style. I would have it again if it happened to be around.

MrStark, May 25, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -22.5%

An English Brown Ale? I think not.

The bottle was ordered and drank in the darkness of Mia's Lounge, Flagstaff.

The beer when poured was as black as coal in the almost unlite interior of the bar, it might have been a tad lighter, difficult to tell, you could clearly see however, this beer refused to have a head put on it.

Dark, bitter chocolate smell, dark bitter chocolate taste. The beer wasn't flat, but it seemed very un-carbonated and un-fizzy, like coke goes after being opened for an hour.

Reminded me of a weak stout or washed up porter, not overly impressed.

BlackHaddock, May 25, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -11%

Appearance - A deep caramel color with a blackcherry tint with the trademark Abita little to no head

Smell - A coffee type of rich smell

Taste - A hoppy, malty, chocolaty taste with a creamy finish

Mouthfeel - A bit oily with a chewy type of feel i find myself biting
down on it

Drinkability - I catch myself thinking that it is an imitation guiness
and being part irish there is no substitute

SAtaMi, May 22, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with no expiration date checked off on the label. Sampled on May 13, 2010. It pours brown with some ruby red hues and about a half an inch of silky light brown head. There are a variety of light hops in the aroma but nothing in particular stands out. The taste has a bit of thin chocolate malts along with a pleasing backdrop of hops. A fairly likeable beer.

puboflyons, May 14, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer.

Poured into a glass. Had a nice smell of carmel and coffee. Dark with tan head. Nice lacing.

First taste starts slightly sweet. Nice carmel and coffee notes in the flavor.

Medium bodied beer with a perfect finish - not to hoppy. Has almost a toasted malt taste to me. This is the way I like my darker ale beers.

I could drink these for hours. Great with steak or just to relax with.

IBU99, May 13, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

pours a dark dark brown, if not looked into through light, it looks black. with a thick tan frothy head.
we got a malty aroma, with your caramel and coffee being present.
i love turbodog, ive had it a hundred times, some reason havent reviewed it til now. tastes of caramel and coffee, and really is just balanced the way i like it. works so well for me.
the carbonations is on the money, and its a very drinkable beer. I can drink this all day everyday.

JordonHoltzman, May 09, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Looks a lot like a nice root beer but with slightly less carbonation. Tan colored head that dissipates very quickly and unevenly in the glass. Looks about the same as a soda as far as texture is concerned also.

S: Not as fragrant as most brown ales, the smell leaves something to be desired. Don't know what to make of the smell...it is clean, simple, and difficult to compare to anything except...well, beer! As it warms, it develops a sweeter scent. There is nothing good or bad about it.

T: Very smooth, mild alcohol, slightly bitter throughout, but the flavor fades quickly after a few seconds. As with the smell, it is difficult to call out anything in particular but there is a hint of like a malted milk flavor and syrupy sweetness in the beginning. There is a little bit of citrus acidity as well. After a few more sips, I detect an almost tootsie roll (strange chocolate) hint in the background that gets more pronounced as the beer warms to about 50 degrees. Still, the flavor is slightly better than "simple."

M: To compare it to something familiar to most people, it has a similar mouthfeel to Newcastle Brown Ale. About the same thickness as the well known brown, and just a little tingly. The lack of viscosity seems to be the cause of the quick flavor fade.

D: I think that I could drink a few of these since they don't overload and stay on the palate much. This really seems like a beer that you drink with heavily flavored food and would work well at a BBQ. However, it seems that it is just a little bit too heavy on its own to go with pizza, with which beer is mandatory. For me, this is a difficult category, since I find that many of my favorite beers are very strongly flavored and only one or two max should be consumed at a time. This is not a fast drinking beer, it is not refreshing, and I don't think it is supposed to be.

Jemonster, May 08, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Big (it filled up a 7 inch tall glass on the pour) brown head that as I top it up is still large but has a worth it texture on top. The beer is a deep brown, like the color of a real rootbeer or cola. Not much active carbonation as I can see it, oh wait, the beer is just darker than I thought and lets through little light. Seems clear-ish with decent active carb. This head is just stickin around too long. Grr. I really wanted to give this beer a 3.5, but the texture on the head is making me bump it up to 4. Now after drinking some more, the head unfortunately just fades away when I'm not 1/3 done with the beer. Down to 3.5, look below for details.

S: Caramel cookies is my first impression, with nuts. No hops that I can detect, at least nothing to make me say "This is hoppy". But yeah, a caramel-brown sugar-baked bread combination that is good. Not great, not overly strong, but good. There's the aroma of...roasted peanuts? Maybe? The more I smell the more I get even a baked cocoa smell as well.

T: Hmm, yep that chocolate taste is stronger on the tongue, almost a chocolate liqueur type taste. I'm not sure if I dig it. The more I go, the more a little caramel nuttiness gets in there, it dries out too. It's an interesting, if not uninspired taste. I'm going to go with a four here and downgrade the Appearance to a 3.5 and let that average out.

M: Very light and flat, sadly. Almost watery. Needs a little more carb I think but obviously less protein.

D: Very drinkable, one of the lightest beers though I wouldn't recommend to convert a BMC drinker. Not sure why that came to mind but I just don't think it would work.

mdwalsh, May 06, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into Guinness glass. Very dark brown, with reddish hues.Smells like chocalate-covered rye crackers to me, not necessarily a bad thing.Tastes good, somewhat like Newcastle, only richer. I like this beer, but I don't think I could drink a lot of them. Next winter, I could see myself having this again.

rednrag, May 02, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on tap at Disneyworld in Florida at Port Orleans French quarter. I was surprised and happy to see that beers from LA were represented at a resort that celebrates New Orleans.

The beer was dark but non discrip it wasn't bad was somewhat tasty. I liked this as opposed to drinking marco beer but unfortunately was nothing special. It was welcom over any of the alternatives being offered at the pool bar there.

I would have again given the similar circumstances.

Casey10, Apr 30, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle into a snifter.

A : Pours a very rich dark brown with very slight amber hints in the light. A frothy inch tan head rises and settles to a light topping. Laces well.

S : Very light smell of rich malts, almost nothing else present to the nose.

T : Chocolatey malts are heavy, with the dry hops coming hard on the end to give it a bitter bite. Notes of nut are slight, pecan or almond.

M : Thin to Medium bodied, with lots of lots of carbonation. The latter is a turnoff for me. Very soft in the mouth.

D : Not a bad brew for one or two, thanks to the fair malt and hop balance, but not a chart topping brown due to the lack of a really punchy flavor and mouthfeel.

ncfranklin, Apr 27, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Enjoyed at Papa Mojo's in Durham, NC this brew shows a dark mahogany color with a strong tan colored head and lots of lacing. The aroma suggests a mild rye malt and maybe even an illusion of dark chocolate. The flavor brings light charcoal and sweet licorice malt with some rain water crispness and mild carbonation. Plenty drinakable, near medium bodied, a tad lifeless but smooth and a little tingly on the tongue. I pick up some skunkiness with leafy-grass hop edges and a bit of chocolate perhaps but it's more toward the brown sugar in the final analysis. Worth a try but not anything to cause uncontollable salivation.

Durge, Apr 25, 2010

12 oz into a tulip/ label has a spot for a date but no actual date.

pours an opaque, mahogany brown with faint red highlights and a tan 2 finger head. head hangs around for a while and eventually calms down to a thin film leaving a few rings in the glass.

smells delicious with lots of chocolate and toffee malts and dark fruity goodness. taste follows nose with big malt sweetness, some fruity overtones and a little smokiness. finishes up nicely with mild hop bitterness.

mouthfeel is on the thick side with a little more co2 than i like usually.

this is a very drinkable beer that i wish i had more of. the cult status seems to be quite well deserved.

divineaudio, Apr 08, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: The body appears nearly black, and shows a clear ruby brilliance when held up to light. Above this is a lovely 2-finger head of dense light-brown foam that shows mediocre retention and nice lacing. Great looking brown, and only the sub-par retention kept it from getting a perfect score.

S: Straight-up Whoppers: candied chocolate malt. Interesting, but entirely one-dimensional with the sweetness.

T: Chocolate malt up front, followed by some caramel sweetness and a distinct metallic note that reminds me of Newcastle. Mild hops on the finish. Definitely fits the English style of brown ale, which I can't really hold against it.

M: A little thin and overly sharp with the ample carbonation.

D: Not bad at all. The hops really help cancel out the potential cloyingness of the dominant malts.

Notes: While far from a great beer, Turbodog always does the trick. I can usually count on finding a sixer in the fridge at the in-laws (that or Guinness), and it's a dependable source of balanced malty goodness. It's not one that I usually turn to up here in CT, but I'm glad that it's available and affordable. Good stuff, Abita.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Apr 05, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Served cold.

A-thick tan head, dark brown/garnet body

S-smoky and malty, biscuit

T-smoky front, some toffee, light hop finish

M-very thin

D-the mouthfeel really throws me off. Some good flavors are there but I really am looking for something that stays on the tongue longer. I would likely pass on this in the future.

jneiswender, Apr 01, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a deep purple-orange, clear and almost dark enough to completely obscure the light behind it. A sudsy two-finger head the color of ground nutmeg builds to bubbly craters that explode and leaves spattered lacing.

Nose is good, yet subdued. Loads of coagulated chocolate and peanut oil, along with wheat and rye bread.

Dry. Very, very dry. Bitter dark roast coffee and mellow chocolate malts waltz coolly onto the palate, displaying a quick blast of sweetness that's quickly replaced with a very dry and slightly bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is where this beer really falls short. Thin, watery, and with a high carbonation.

What's a Turbodog? You'd maybe imagine bulldogs on choppers or beagles piloting prop planes. This beer, however, is such a let-down I instead see images of Droopy dog, muffled and depressed. Boohoo.

Phelps, Mar 30, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Appears acdense dark brown with a small head of tan fluff that slowly fades into a mild cap. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of Toasted nuts, coffee beans, pine sap, and a dusting of cocoa.
Taste is of the aromas with a really nice hoppy punch of pine and cut wood.
Mouthfeel is chewy, hoppy, and evenly balanced.

weeare138, Mar 29, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Fat 2 finger head -- soft creamy and pillowy. I'm calling this beer midnight brown. When you backlight it you give the hidden deep red beauty to be seen. Nice lacing as well.

Dark chocolate malts lead the nose. Wood, moss, earth intertwined with wisps of light balancing hops. Very enticing.

Coppery malt tastes with metallic twinge leads off. Then there is almost a pause before the dark chocolate malt taste. Roasted flavor come to the front before the finish impresses with a wonderfully balanced sweetness followed by more dark bitter malt. As it warms the alcohol becomes a bit more pronounced.

Mouthfeel is a simple smooth and creamy.

This imho is a great brown. Balanced so as not to ever approach being cloyingly sweet, but easily avoiding the other end as unimpressively boring. It's complex enough for contemplation but the easy verdict is that it's just plain delicious. It never gets out of hand or tries too hard with any one aspect. The smooth mouthfeel makes it especially hard to hold back -- Very much wish I had another in the fridge.

To sum, 3 words: "Go-to beer".

smerkinb, Mar 26, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - Pours a deep dark brown with a 2 inch beige head that lasts for the entire beer. Lacing is fair as beer as drunk down.

S - Smells like toasty earth and sweet malts.

T - Very clean chocolate malt flavors with very minor bitterness.

M - Creamy and bubbly mouthfeel but nothing special.

D - Very enjoyable and drinkable beer. I was not too sure what I would be getting with this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would definitely purchase this one again.

UCLABrewN84, Mar 22, 2010
3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This beer was a great dark brown, and produced a really nice tan head.

S: Smelled similar to some pumpkin brews that I've had in the past, must be due to the Willamette hops and the yeast. However, still off the charts with dark notes and savory sweet aromas.

T: This actually reminded me more of a Belgian than a English Brown.

M: Slightly thick, but not over the top.

D: This beer was a great beer to drink, and was something I'd highly suggest.

Best of luck with your findings.

Cheers.

NicholasCasber, Mar 22, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had on tap at old chicago in uptown it was a dark brown color with a tan ring and some good lacing it looked like a scotch ale..the smell was faint in malts some chocolate some toffee and caramel..the taste was better then the smell it had some hops mixed with roasted malts some toast some bitter hops and some brown sugar.the mouthfeel was medium/thin for an english brown.overall it was ok tasty not one i will buy a sixer of but it was ok to try on tap..slightly recommended

gatornation, Mar 21, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

It's been a few years since I had a Turbodog. I liked it more in the past than I did now. It was served in a shaker pint glass in a NOLA watering hole. Very dark, nice creamy tan head. A good looking beer.

Aroma was pretty much non-existent. Nothing bad, just nothing there as far as aroma. Flavor was also extremely understated. Slight hint of roast (very slight) and a bit of mild hop bitterness. No sweetness & not much additional malt character. Surprisingly bland.

Mouthfeel was overly carbonated & and fairly thinl. I was underwhelmed. Drinkability was not great. Didn't seek another one out while in NOLA. Don't know that I will for another couple years.

mklinger, Mar 19, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - 3-finger offwhite, light khaki head with big bubbles that fades quickly. Ok lacing on the glass, nothing overly appealing. Dark brown body with fizzy carbonation rising to the top.

S - Dark roasted malts with some sweet milk chocolate and a nice earthy smell.

T&M - Dark malts prevail throughout obviously with a nice chocolate presence, becoming more prominent as this beer warms. I get a touch of brown sugar sweetnes as well. Dark bread crust adds some earthiness. Moderate hop profile that keeps the sweetness in check.

D - A descent beer but nothing amazing. It would be sessionable but it was just a bit heavy for me and lacks the complexity I'd like.

MrIncognito, Mar 08, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

I had pretty high expectations for this brew, for whatever reason, and when I finally got around to tasting it post-Super Bowl, I was a little disappointed.

Pours dark brown, with slight red hues. Slightly off-white head, that is pretty insignificant. Toasted malt on the nose, and I get a little bit of brown sugar in there, but its a little faint.

Taste is a very malty, without any of the subtle sweetness I expected from the nose and style. There is a little bit of toffee, but this mostly is a toasted flavor. Finish is a little bit bitter, but not so much as to distract from the drink. Strong medium body that is rich and enjoyable.

Jesstyr, Mar 07, 2010
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.