Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,654 | Reviews: 996
4.06/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Best by 2/12/15.

Color is opaque mahogany with an enormous frothy tan head. Retention was excellent with some semi-sticky lacing as the glass emptied. Smell was very nice - lots of toffee and some dark fruit and cocoa. Much more complex than I expected. Flavor is similar, with some hop bitterness on the palate and in the finish that adds to the aroma. Body is pretty light, with good carbonation. I found this very drinkable and enjoyable.

Overall, one of the better brown ales I've had. I'm not usually a big fan of the style, but I'd happily have another one of these.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%

Great dark ale. Smooth and tasty

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just had this beer for the first time and it is amazing! I have had Abita beers before and have liked them fine but this...this is something special. My favorite beer of all time is Alaskan Amber so, this isn't a huge derivation. Still, where can I find a keg of this?

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

Nice dark beer! Not too bitter . Kinda heavy!

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

There's a popular meet and greet watering hole near my house. The food is below average on a good day, but the drinks are excellent. Mrs. Obama and Malia went to this place a couple of times, I am told. This is the place where I first tried Abita Turbodog, and shortly thereafter I announced that it was my favorite beer. I hit the net the next day looking for a place that sold it in bottles. I prefer to do my drinking at home to avoid having to drive.

It's a dark ale with a good strong taste. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor, and it's not too heavy. Coming out of the tap, this was indeed an excellent beer, but coming out of the bottle it just isn't the same. In fact, I don't intend to waste my time getting bottles of this. There's only so much time in life for beer drinking, and, while this is okay, it's just not as super fantastic as it was from the tap. Whenever I go back to that place, I always get this though.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Very smooth, great hops. Could have a heavier body

My first intro to craft. On Bourbon Street with Mark Handy. A million years ago.
Still a favorite.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm not a huge fan of brown ales, that being said turbo dog is a huge exception. It reminds me less of a brown ale and more of a porter without being too heavy and full bodied. 10/10 would drink again.

Great Dark brown ale, great aroma and nice mud look! Tan head adds to the color. Love the toffee-chocolate taste and not bitter at all. Would def drink this again.

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque color, with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Actually, not much of an aroma in this beer. There are some subtle notes of roasted malt and dark chocolate.

Taste: What the beer lacks in aroma, it more than makes up for in flavor. Strong notes of roasted malt, importing some flavors of some subtle smoke, followed by some brown sugar-like sweetness, finished with some perfectly balanced hops. Absolutely delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 5.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Turbodog is one of my favorite American beers. I love the great malty and sweet flavors, perfectly balanced with some slightly bitter hops. Delicious!

Beer from Louisiana? Why not! This is my first Abita brew and the entry-level pricing of $19.80 for a six-pack makes me apprehensive, however I wanted to get a nice dark winter beer and the label made it sound like something that would fit the bill nicely. Plus I like brews that pack in pale, crystal and chocolate malts, the more the merry I say. Well here goes beer adventurers. If I'm not back in five minutes please notify the authorities.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents well with a deep (clear) seal brown body and a generous 3cm khaki head that soon reduces to a thick half centimetre foam. 5/10.

S: Milk chocolate, brown sugar and hints of sweet malt all combine to create a luscious fragrance. As intoxicating as it is there is a notable lack of anything that can be described as hops (i.e. all aboard the malt train people). 7/10.

T: Quite excellent! It is as expected (a malt dominated Ale) but the amount of malt characters it manages to pack in is impressive. There are notes of: milk and dark chocolate, caramel, toffee and roasted barley. The finish is dry with the tiniest hint of herbal hops. After taste brings more sweetness. There is a light metallic twang as well but we'll forgive it. 9/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with slight wateriness and light carbonation. 5/10.

D: Well, I like it. I like it a lot. It fills a gaping malt-shaped hole in my tongue, if you can imagine it, and is perhaps for me the most interesting English (American) Brown Ale I've had to date, primarily due to the lack of hops and the tastiness of the malts. Also there is a decent amount of complexity for what is essentially a cheap beer (not here but in the USA). Would I buy it again? Yes. Does it fill a fridge door niche of malty goodness? Yes. Should I stop asking questions and just get it? Yes. 9/10.

Food match: Borderline dessert beer we have here, but savoury is also a good pick: It's stew-time baby!*

*See what I did there?

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Bought a single Summer 2014. Poured into a pint served cool.

appearance: cola brown with a thick khaki head.

smell: roasty, chocolately

taste: thick roasty chocolate

mouthfeel: nice and solid

overall: excellent tasty brown ale.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is the best beer I have ever had. I heard great things about Turbodog, and went to my local market, which has a "Build your own 6-pack" thing for 9.99. I got a Turbodog, Purple Haze, couple Shock Tops, and a Cherry Chocolate beer. I refridgerated my Turbodog and angle/straight poured it into a 20 oz. mug. The head is incredible! Super retention, very foamy, bit of lacing. The smell was great, hints of chocolate malt, no cloying, bit of sweetness. It pours a very dark brown. I drank the first gulp...heaven. No over the top alcohol taste, despite it having a higher ABV than most beers. I felt no biting carbonation and the sweetness was not overpowering. I recommend Turbodog to everyone. A+!

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - brown ale, creamy head, patchy lacing, fairly dark brown

S - malts, red wine, there's a unique smell here that's almost like grape

T - sweet malt, mild hops, some roasted flavors, sweet toffee, very mild hops

M - very balanced on the palette, medium bodied

O - solid English Ale, really balanced balanced malt and hops and an interesting aroma like red wine which i find really nice.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very dark brown with a crimson hue when held to the light. It has a large creamy head of tan foam that falls slowly. The nose is mild. Some toasty malt with a nice sweetness on it and maybe some faint grass. Sweet milky chocolate creeps into the nose as it warms and there's a touch fo bread crust on the nose. Taste is gracefull and well done. It has a thin mouthfeel with a slight bite from carbonation. There's a fruity backnote and some hops balance it for a finish that is dry and has a faint touch of bitterness. The malt stays mild in this but enticing with some bread crust a bit of toffee and some light sweet chocolate.

Easy to drink and very pleasant.

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured out a deep, clear brown with a nice ruby tint. The head is foamy and settles in at about one fingers worth, light tan in color and leaves some nice soapy lacing. The aroma is pretty average, with only slight, nondescript malt sweetness. The taste is much more robust, with nice nutty notes and additions of caramel. There's a bit of carbonation on the mouthfeel, but it has an overall smooth mouthfeel and finish. A solid brown ale.

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Illegible markings on the neck of the bottle
Bottle at 40 degrees into snifter
Aroma of roasted malt and chocolate
Head average (4 cm), light brown, frothy, rapidly diminishing to
Lacing fair – small islands and arches of mostly small bubbles
Body dark brown, showing some amber at the edges where the light penetrates, hazy
Flavor starts with medium sweet roasted malt and bitter chocolate. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl. Ends medium sweet.
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

This is a good rendition of an English brown ale – meets all the criteria. I didn’t care for it when I first had it in 2006 and I still don’t – not my cup of tea.

1.54/5  rDev -57.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I'm not sure what happened to this beer, but 10-15 years ago it was excellent. The stuff they call TurboDog now just does not taste the same. This was the beer that put Abita on the map, but now I find it undrinkable and lacking in the malty complexity it once held.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The Abita Turbo Dog was ok, it was not that bad. The taste was ok, and the smell was not too bad. This beer was not my favorite beer, but it was ok. The smell was ok as well. It was not my favorite beer, but it was worth trying. I am not one hundred percent sure of how it tasted because it has been a while since I tried this beer. But I am willing to try it again.

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A. Pours a Dark mahogany with a dark tan head. Head lingers, then quickly dissipates. Minimal lacing.
S. Dark malts, coffee, chocolate.
T. Same as the smell. Dark, mildly burnt malts. Coffee. Chocolate.
M. Thin, slightly over carbonated.
O. Not a bad beer, but there are better examples of the brown ale style. Seems a little too burnt.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Surly pint glass. Picked up about 2wks ago.

Poured a 3/4 inch head that quickly dissolved to a small ring around the glass. Brown with a little ruby color. Dark brown, but you can get some light coming through.

Aroma of a traditional English ale, but a bit of an off-scent...funk.

The initial taste reveals full malty taste, typical English style. But, then comes an unwelcomed funk - I can only compare it to walking through a populated barn. It's not the worst taste/scent, but I wouldn't want to stay there. Like other Abita beers, I tend to get a "humph!" - something is just not right to my palate.

I wouldn't turn this down at a party (unless there were other options), but can't see buying one of these (mine was a gift).

4.44/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled last night on 6/17/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a Texas-style glass boot.

Pours a deep dark brown which is almost black in color actually, that has a good half-finger beige head with decent lacing when sipped. The aroma is of sweet roasted malts for the most part. The taste has more going on with roasted malts, hint of chocolate, toffee and coffee in the mix. A slight tart finish which is nice. Perfect carbonation makes this good brew more enjoyable. A tasty brew! I had a few other styles of brew from this brewery and all have been good!

3.26/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Kept seeing this at my fav bottle shop decided to go ahead and give it a go.I had higher expectations for this brew.It is very malty and if anything would go well with a good ol fashioned BBQ dinner.Maybe even make a good marinade with the rest of the six pack I bought.Not putting it down,just had hoped it would live up to the hype I have experienced and price was a little on the high side.Not the best review I know but was not passionate enough to do it.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

From a six-pack my dad brought me cross-country. Served in a standard shaker pint glass. Graded to 2008 BJCP American Brown Ale, 10C.

Appearance: Super dark brown, almost black, with reddish hues at the edges. 1" tan head and a little lacing goes down the glass as I drink.

Aroma: Malty & salty. Sweet & roasty.

Taste: Roasty, sweet-tart arrival. Dries across mid-palate; roasted, bitter finish. Almost liquorice-like. Good, cleansing bitterness at the end. Hoppier than I remember any brown ale being.

Mouthfeel: Hefty, but not heavy. Well-carbonated, but not overdone. Slightly slick.

Overall: Roasty, hefty, bitter & sweet. Not an English brown ale at all, but too light to be a porter. This is really versatile; good on its own, great with food. Just a little too dark for the season (early summer). I look forward to returning to this in the fall. Pretty much spot on for American dark brown ale. The closest thing I have mind to compare this to is Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, but less roasty or bitter than GLEF, and much sweeter.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

A: deep brown - like cola; 1 finger head that receded quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass; minimal lacing;

S: chocolate; coffee; roasted malt;

T: like is smells - chocolate and coffee up front; roasted malt kicks in mid-palate along with some moderate bitterness; finish was short;

M; a little thin; moderate carbonation;

O: not very complex, but enjoyable to drink;

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.