Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,656 | Reviews: 997
3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

I really wasn’t expecting a whole lot, so the slightly roasty flavor caught me off guard. It was actually verging on being a porter in the flavor with chocolate and a bit of licorice (and an almost smoke). Slightly bitter in the finish. The only real drawback was that it was too bubbly and light bodied. It was a great poker beer though.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz. bottle pours a opaque dark brown color with a slight tan head. Smells of dark rye bread. Taste is buttery toasted dark cereal grains with a smooth malt sweetness. Full bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Minimal hop presence. A pretty good dark brew for the masses.

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%

Plum brown with a quickly settling khaki head leaving no lace in me pint.

Little nose to speak of, draught style, other than grainy wheat cracker wafts.

Biscuit malts & hop balance with a grape juice hint throught the lingering zesty dry finish.. Toffee roast vanilla characteristics.

Crisp snappy feel with a twinge of oily buttery full bodied foamy cherry essence.

Last swigs: Great Autumn dinner beer. Big sweet black grape malts hops like a Guinness ALMOST. Happy yo try this on tap. Had this in New Orleans like it was Yuengling Lager.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

I saw this beer for the first time on Emeril Live and decided I had to give it a try. I usually agree with Emeril and this one didn't let me down.

The pour was a dark copper/mahogany with a two finger beige head that quickly dissapated and left a thin beige lace on top of the beer.

The smell was quite sweet, a strong roasted caramel with just a hint of apricots and some hop spice in the back of the nose.

The drink started with a chewey malt character mixed with a grainy background. In the middle the sweet caramel took over the palate. The finish was a lingering hop mixed with a fruity sweetness.

All and all this would be a great beer to drink with food or to put into food. I'll keep some of this in my fridge at all times from now on.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

I actually decided to give this beer a try from watching Emeril cook with it on his cooking show. It was worth a try, not my favorite but a good beer. It poured a dark brown with hints of red, a perfectly clear beer. The head was a tannish two fingers with little lacing.

The aroma was primarily malty with some hints of smokiness that comes from the roasted malt. The taste is more smoky than I expected by with little real malt sweetness and almost no hops flavor. This felt a little oily in the mouth, but it could be a decent session beer.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

I have looking forwrad to trying the Abita Turbo Dog since it is not found typcially in Charlotte. Of course, the Flying Saucer had it available in a bottle. Since I am a big fan of Brown Ales, I thoroughly enjoyed most of its qualities. However, compared to other browns, it was nothing spectacular. Taste and mouthfeel highlighted the experience, especially at first taste. Hints of roasted nuts was a nice surpirse. I realized, however, that this ale was difficult to finish.

3.44/5  rDev -6%

Quite an interesting brew. I gave it a combination of ratings I would have thought not possible. It looks great, but smells like nothingness (and no, I don't have a sinus infection) It tastes slightly above average, but the mouthfeel feels like seltzer water and leaves no complex aftertaste. However, the drinkability is very high because it does not overstimulate the palate and goes down like water.

I went to the store and chose this brew because I was in the mood for something darker. They were out of Guinness, so I figured I'd give this dark looking brew a taste. You could easily give this to a non-ale-drinking pal and have them polish it off as easily as a domestic light beer. It's tasty, but underwhelming.

4.14/5  rDev +13.1%

Mmmm....goood dog! I was surprised to see it pour so dark and was instantly impressed at it's deep color without heaviness.

The smell was sweet and enticing. I noticed warm vanilla, coffee, and malt. The taste was outstanding, romantic and very smooth. Slight malt, chocolate to a slight bitterness and a lovely vanilla finish. Perfect beer with a chocolate mousse. This would be an easy all-nighter.

3.49/5  rDev -4.6%

Sampled during a bowl of spicy gumbo at a funny little Cajun place near me in LA.

Beer arrives in a chilled (*grr*) straight sided pint glass a deep brown with milk chocolate lab brown highlights. Very little head, but what is there is sticky and beige in color.

Sweet malt is the best descriptor of the initial aroma as the beer opens up and warms in the glass, cherries and plums start to appear as well.

Flavor is still the sweet malt, but with a hard acrid bite of dark roasted grains. This bite takes the middle palate over, before relenting to a toffee alcohol finish.

Overall not too shabby, one of the better Louisana products I've had outside of the state.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. twist top brown bottle, label has best by (month 8, day 4) notched. Lists pale, crystal and chocolate malts, Williamette hops, an Alt yeast and spring water. Looks like they have updated the label, mine says TURBODOG in yellow across a black background.
Aroma: Very dark roasted, even burnt malt with a lot of chocolate malt aroma.
Appearance: Deep brown with ruby edges, shows nice clarity when backlit. A tan head caps the beer with small bubbles. A small trace of lace slowly followed the beer as it drained.
Flavor: An odd combination of a dark roasted, yet very clean beer. The chocolate malt is heavy handed, and almost overpowers the hops. No malt sweetness noted, just the roasted, almost smoky grains.
Mouthfeel: Creamy medium-heavy body triggers a good chew; Very smooth.
Overall Impression: Turbodog is well crafted. They got to where they were going with this beer. The taste is intentional; I’m just not sure I like the recipe. There is too much chocolate malt or black patent (heavily roasted) malts for the style of English Brown, but I’m not sure those Cajuns care. I could see others making a session out of this, but just a touch too dark for me.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%

The only thing lacking in this brew was the aroma. Quite honestly my bottle smelled like a wet dog...I never encountered this smell before. But, aside from that all else was very nice. Appearance is an almost black amber with a head that diispates into a very nice lace. Taste...mmm. almost like a dry stout. lightly sweet with a hop flavor on the finish that is very nice. Mouthfeel is medium with a crispness and a dry finish that makes you want to take anothe sip. Very nice on the drinkability scale. Glad I tried it.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Just ordered the 12 oz brown short bottle from Mother’s for lunch. Unlike the previous ratings, mine had no freshness date on the back. It appears that they’ve changed the label since the picture here on the site has been added. I like the new one better. The new one is predominately black with the writing and artwork in lighter outlines, like some of the new dark uniforms seem around the NFL. There is a good explanation of what to expect from the beer on the back label.

It poured a nice, dark brown with some dark amber thrown in. It has a sticky light tan froth.

Sweet toffee smells invite you to enjoy…

Ooooo yeah--Malty goodness with a heavy medium body. The flavor is sweet toffee and mild chocolate. What seems to set this apart is that the hop bitterness is perfectly balanced as it lingers in the background. A mild hopiness and sugary malt stick to your the tongue in between sips. I also tasted some coffee flavors, good bread, and caramel…

This is a great beer, definitely worth a few. It was heavy enough to wash down the ½ priced burger at Mother’s perfectly.

It left me pleasantly surprised, since my last Louisiana beer was Dixie Voodoo. It is sweet and slightly heavy, but smooth enough for easy drinking. I’ll be trying to work through their line, now that I’ve seen what they have to offer.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Presentation: 12 oz short brown bottle. 12/8/04 freshness date.

Appearance: black with a ruby tint. good head retention. good lacing on glass.

Smell: chocolate, alcohol, sweet fruit, bread. pretty enjoyable.

Taste: roasted chocolate toffee-like flavor that turns into a more nutty flavor as more of the beer is consumed. Malty flavor upfront, but the hops become noticeable. Through retro-olfaction, the beer has a red wine-like taste.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated. Mouthfeel is apropos to the English Brown Ale style.

Drinkability: Alcohol is almost unnoticable. Goes down very easily. I didn't realize how much alcohol it had until after I drank three of these. Six pack is very satisfying over a long night and a pizza.

Notes: Too thin, watery, and carbonated for my taste. Not a bad taste or aftertaste. I think that it is a solid example of the style though, I only prefer stronger beers. The things it did well were keeping a good head, producing a nice aroma, and having a good flavor. As far as its comparison to other English Browns, I only can say that it is a tad thinner and more carbonated than most. Otherwise, good interpretation of the style.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a nice deep brown with ruby/mahogony hues. A fluffy white head about a quarter inch high appears and leaves a slight lace. Aromas are of coffee and cocoa with some roasted malts in the mix. This beer initially hits up with a nice roasty malt, followed by some nice cocoa and other chocolate flavors. A little sweetness finds its way in the mix but is quickly overridden by a nice bittery hop finish. This beer is medium to light bodied with a powerful carbonation that zings on the tongue throughout the experience.

My first Abita, if not my first Louisian. It pours a nice rich dark brown color with a fair short lived head. Carbonation is moderate though the head fades quickly. A sweet atoma of chocolate & toffee greet the nose. The taste of this full bodied brew could be considered complex. The taste has a malty, brown-sugar, bitter-sweet, chocolate hop to it. A dry hop on the mouth lingers on.
A good brown ale that is a true craft beer to be enjoyed.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a deep brown color, letting very little light through the glass. The head is almost all ut non-existant. It has a nose of chocolate. Mouthfeel is moderately heavy, but not thick, without much carbonatin. Taste is chocolate with a hop finish that stays on your tongue for a minute. There is little to no lacing. Overall a good brown ale. I wish it were not summer when I tried this. Will check it out again later in the season and see if that changes anything. I'd pick this up when craving a good change of pace.

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

The beer poured brown, with a red tinger when held up to the light. THere was a thick, short lasting head to it. No lace clung to the side of the glass as I drank. The carbonation is fairly flat, it was only slightly noticeable. The were multiple layers of hops, which brought out a more flavorful beer than bitter. Definitely a quality beer, but not inspired to place this among my favorites.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

nice beer. great balance of sweetness and bitterness. great balance of chocolate flavors and raisiny flavors. good fuggles or willamette-type hop flavor. nice head. this is like a light porter.

this company should work a little bit on improving their ugly packaging so that it is more representative of the quality that is inside these bottles.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a very dark brown color with a nice thick off white head.

This beer is very fragrant, lots of chocolate and toffee smells are present, as well as hops.

The taste of this one is very good, very deep and rich, the malt sweetness is cut by the hops, a very nice balance that gives you the best of both. There's a lot of complexity to turbo dog, each sip seems to unveil a new flavor.

Turbo dog is one good beer, honestly it is much different than what I was expecting from it, something I would reccomend anyone try.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer poured a cola-like brown color with red highlights when held to light. The head was light and fizzy but faded quickly and there was no lacing. The smell was very sweet and acidic as well, it burned my nostril hairs at first sniff. The taste offered more malty sweetness. Very sweet in flavor but weaker in body. A lot of brown sugar sweetness here and more dextrin sweetness as well. The sweetness wasn't offset by anything but it wasn't too sweet to be offensive (like malternatives are). This reminds me a lot of coke which means I like to drink it but it offers nothing that great to me beerwise. Definitely a good transition beer though.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

Brewed with a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts. Dry-hopped with Willamette, and fermented with a German Alt yeast.

Pours out to a beautiful dark mahogany with chestnut accents, forming a nice, soapy light tan head with good retention and nice lacing, eventually settling to a thin scum of head with a few areas of flocculation. Carbonation is moderate. Immediate aroma of malted chocolate, then touches of vanilla, toffee, and more chocolate malt shakes. Hint of black walnut and almonds. Very nice aroma...delicately sweet and smooth...lovely. Mouthfeel is initially zesty with a piquant earthen hop bite towards the end and a medium body. Taste begins with flavorful earthen and herbal hops, followed by a substantial, but not quite "porterish" chocolate and amber malt body, a slight isopropyl twinge with associated astringency, vanilla and cocoa in the middle, followed by a medium herbal bitterness towards the slightly woody finish. Fair amount of toffee, but it doesn't bother me. Earthy but nice. No appreciable off-flavors. Crisp water and clean ferment.

This is a solid brew. Its like a brown ale in that it is rather mild and medium bodied, but like a porter in that it has a nice chocolate roastiness to it. Exhibiting the finer characteristics of both Brown Ales and Porters, this is very enjoyable and I would gladly drink it again.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

I had this beer a few years ago and remember loving it, this time I found it to be fairly good, but nothing spectacular.

Appearance- Nice dark cola color with moderate light brown head.

Smell- Subtle, with a sweet chocolate highlight.

Taste- Fairly malty, with chocolate or coffee taste, seems a little roasted. Unfortunately Turbo Dog leaves an aftertaste I don't quite like.

Drinkability- Not too bad, but something I probably won't buy again. For me it isn't an "all-night" type of beer.

Turbo Dog is my first of this style and I was hoping I'd like it as much as I remembered. Too bad, maybe I just don't love the style or maybe just not Turbo Dog.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

Pleasant surprize!!!
Arrived a very dark/brown ale with a limited crown...carbonation is short. Body is full.
Nose has a bread like quality to it and a secondary in bitter/sweet chocolate.
The taste has a short hoppiness to begin followed by the same to end. No linger here at all.
Very nice...

1.77/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Dark cherry-stained brown under a tight and kept dome of beige.
Nose features rubber bands, bandaids and chocolate.
Taste follows suit. The dominating flavor is one of rubber bands. Not those little drawer-clutterers, but rather the huge industrial-strength 8 inchers. The ones that just reek. And you know how after you use a rubber band enough, it starts to gain a soiled, black hue? That is how this tastes.
Aside from that, some powdery nuts appears. Minor cocoa surges. Maybe toffee too? Hopping is present, but totally overmatched by latex.
This sucks. Enough said.
The body is decent enough, clocking in at a sturdy medium. But when the flavors are so godawful. Who cares?
I am hoping this bottle is either old or off.
But this seems like bad news regardless.
All apologizes to my sink, which suffered through more of this than I.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

When ever I think about Turbo Dog, I think about Under Dog. I'm sorry, Abita, but I do. I love Under Dog. He had that sweet blue cape.

Anyway, the Turbo Dog flew into my beer and formed a glowing mahoghany colored beer with minimal head. The smell was very sweet - you could definately smell the chocolate malts.

At first taste, there was a nice combination of chocolate malts and yeast. It turns into a gentle bitter compliment as you continue drinking the beer.

This beer is highly drinkable. Much like Under Dog, the Turbo Dog goes down with you noticing. I think I finished my first Turbo Dog in 7 minutes...and I was not trying to drink it fast. It just - disappeared.

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.