Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros

tmm313, Jun 24, 2012

Deathtrifecta, Aug 09, 2014

Cjalbers, Aug 23, 2012

TonyTalon, Mar 25, 2012

JrPrado, Jun 09, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -43.8%

Not much information on the bottle, seeing it styled here as English brown ale is almost a surprise to me...What is it with American micros and the word "dog"?

Appearance: Darkish red, with only a faint lacing. Looks more like an alt to me.

Smell: I think this one is infected...Grainy, but also wet cardboard and skanky beauty salon permed hair.

Taste: Heat stricken indeed, which is weird, because I got from a fridge, guess it got stored in the heat beforehand...Smokey, watery and just not very agreeable, this one ended up in the drain.

Goldorak, Apr 05, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -43.8%

Weird Beer.

Tasted like someone dropped a penny in my beer.

Poured a medium brown with a tan head. Looks a little light.

Smells a bit metallic. Slight chocolate scent.

Tastes like licking tinfoil, or sticking my tongue to a battery. Slight chocolate and coffee.

I hoped for something more. Not much to it. Very watery.

Probably will give it one more try. Then write it off.

dippy, Mar 13, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -43%

Man I dont know what it is with abita but this looked and smelled great dark brown with a nice head and sweat chocolate and nuts but then the taste is just a train wreck. It is hard to imagine how it can go from smelling and looking so good to falling short so fast. I think i am done with abita they cant say i didnt give them a chance though

jnelson54, Jan 25, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -42.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date on the back label. Poured a dark brown with reddish highlights. Had a good sized tannish head. The smell was very weak - almost undetectable. The taste pretty much followed the smell. I kept thinking man this is watery and without taste. Mouthfeel was watery. Got to say I'd rather have a Miller Lite than this. I've liked other Abita's but this misses the mark by a mile. Don't recommend even to knock off list. (2, NA, ML, N)

TexIndy, Mar 08, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -42.5%

For some reason, I just dont like this beer.
I always seem to notice a subtle skunky aroma. Ive had this beer many times before and always the same aroma. Taste is not very good either. Its pretty malty but it has some bad ass heineken hop profile. And a weird horse stable flavor. Dirt and hay and shit? I dont know. I've had this beer time and time again hoping that one day I just might like it, but in the end, this beer is just not for me. Sorry.

palma, Dec 22, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -39.7%

dagubna, Wednesday at 07:33 PM
2.23/5  rDev -38.9%

12 oz. brown bottle with best if consumed before notches of 4 - 18.

Clear mahogany with red tints and a massive, pillowy head that laces its way down the sides of the glass.

Fruity smells come out front quickly followed by vinegar like souness that's over the top.

Medium body with medium carbonation. Vinegar-like sourness is back in the taste. Nut and roasty notes hidden underneath the spoiled taste of a bacterial infection.

This beer was well before the date of caution, and I had my wife smell and taste it, and she agreed it was rank. My conclusion is that the bottle I bought was infected. Down the drain it went.

Shultzerdugen, Apr 01, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours dark reddish brown with a frothy off-white head that quicky goes to a thin film.

Its aroma is some roasted malts with a kind of chemical diapery off smell.

It tastes a little better than it smells. Sweet nutty, toffee malts and cocoa. It's kind of acidic with a light bitter finish.

Overall, not very good at all. I couldn't get past the smell, and the flavors were a mish-mash of things, many of which were a little off.

Beaver13, Nov 25, 2004

TheBigBoy, May 26, 2014

Johnhaley1989, Oct 05, 2012

shade13, Jul 27, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Appearance- a dark brown with slight bubbles to be seen inside of it, nice white/tan head which quickly fades a way, if held to light still slightly transparent

Smell- lots of chocolate, slight pecan, nuts, roasted malts, and caramel with molasses tones though something not there i smelt before, uh oh

Taste- Hmm, im thinking maybe I got a bad batch here, not gettin the flavor ive tasted before on this one, may be slightly oxidized here, not good, will continue...slightly nut and chocolate flavor, but the alcohols coming out more then it should right now, think i got a bad batch could be old or something, bummer

Mouthfeel- decently full bodied with smoothness

Drinkability- I have to say I truely believe I had bad batch here, i had this on tap recently and I really liked it, this one was not very drinkable at all but i will with out a doubt give it one more shot, bummer not fun to waste 8 bucks, to be re reviewed...

Stunner97, Mar 24, 2009

phishbone23, Jan 25, 2013

Notacraftdrinker, Apr 13, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Abita Turbodog
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, imbibed 08/06
Medium pour in a pint glass

Poured a reddish black with quickly diminishing 1/8 inch mocha head.

Smelt of toffee and a hint of corn.

Taste of slight coffee malt with a sweeter chocolatey body and slight smokey finish, yet short-lived and watery. Mouthfeel was light and fizzy.

Overall, a brew that gets the basic taste right, but lacks in intensity.

xav33, Aug 08, 2006
2.3/5  rDev -37%

Abita Turbodog from Abita Springs, LA.

This beer was not sweet, almost bitter, not hoppy, and honestly, didn't really have much of a taste. Disappointing, especially coming from Abita, which I normally like.

I drank it on-tap in a 6-beer sampler at The Casual Pint in Knoxville, TN on 12/14/2012.

fischerking, Dec 19, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

Oh boy(not excited). The bartender poured the Turbodog into a 10 oz glass. Where's the head? It's a dark brown with reddish amber highlights(maybe due to the ambient lighting?). Paper thin head. After drinking a good portion I poured the rest into the glass as a demand for more head I got very little beige head with decent retention.

Oh my God, I've lost my sense of smell. After try upon try to get a nose-profile out of this beer, I asked the guy next to me at the bar who also was drinking this what the hell it smelt like. "Chocolate," he said matter-of-factly. His buddy tried to smell it to and after obviously trying hard to get a grip on the smell he also said it smelled "a little bit like chocolate." After a few more tries, I got it... I guess.

Very dry taste, with hops being prominent here. Smoked, woody and chocolate flavors do exist here.

Carbonation. That's the mouth feel. A little bit of thick beer in there, too.

I'm not big on brown ales, so if you are, don't take my word for it. It's good for a taste, but I'll move on to more flavorful pastures.

wcintula, Jun 02, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

Thick khaki head on dark body with slight amber hue. Good presentation.

Aroma strong coffee with slight astringency, odd considering that this is a sub-6% beer.

Flavor is, well, pretty much entirely composed of dry coffee grounds. Very bitter, very dry. Unpleasant unless you like eating your coffee raw.

Thin mouthfeel.

Too bitter to be really drinkable, fairly unpleasant. Fans of brown ales should look elsewhere.

danielharper, Jan 29, 2006
2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A great, dark (just a hair away from black), barely translucent brew. I barely got any head though, which is strange after reading some other reviews.

Smell: Roasted malts with coffee hints.

Taste: Oh god, something is terribly wrong here. It tastes pretty good going down, it's pretty malty with just a hint of coffee to temper the taste. But the aftertaste is absolutely metallic and terrible. Ruins the whole thing.

Mouthfeel: Very light and drinkable, at least before the aftertaste hits. Probably a little too carbonated straight from the bottle, and a bit too flat after it's had a bit of time to settle.

Drinkability: I finished about 2/3rds of this before the aftertaste got to me and I dumped the rest. Shame, this could have been good. I wouldn't be adverse to trying it again, I could have a bad bottle since my head was nearly non-existent.

shand, Sep 30, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

First had: on tap at Jimmy's No. 43, NYC, NY.

Dark reddish-brown color. A moderate tan head with noticeable carbonation. Roasty malts in the aroma, a tinge of chocolate, but mostly burnt coffee, which was kind of a turn off. Taste full of dry cocoa and burnt coffee; not too appealing. Somewhat thin and highly carbonated. Bitter, burnt aftertaste. Overall, not very drinkable, due mainly to the burnt taste and subsequent unpleasant aftertaste.

Rifugium, Dec 10, 2010
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.