Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (49) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
TonyTalon

Wisconsin

03-25-2012 05:41:44 | More by TonyTalon
JrPrado

06-09-2012 01:56:24 | More by JrPrado
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

2.05/5  rDev -43.8%

Not much information on the bottle, seeing it styled here as English brown ale is almost a surprise to me...What is it with American micros and the word "dog"?

Appearance: Darkish red, with only a faint lacing. Looks more like an alt to me.

Smell: I think this one is infected...Grainy, but also wet cardboard and skanky beauty salon permed hair.

Taste: Heat stricken indeed, which is weird, because I got from a fridge, guess it got stored in the heat beforehand...Smokey, watery and just not very agreeable, this one ended up in the drain.

04-05-2005 21:49:01 | More by Goldorak
dippy

2.05/5  rDev -43.8%

Weird Beer.

Tasted like someone dropped a penny in my beer.

Poured a medium brown with a tan head. Looks a little light.

Smells a bit metallic. Slight chocolate scent.

Tastes like licking tinfoil, or sticking my tongue to a battery. Slight chocolate and coffee.

I hoped for something more. Not much to it. Very watery.

Probably will give it one more try. Then write it off.

03-13-2008 19:10:48 | More by dippy
jnelson54

2.08/5  rDev -43%

Man I dont know what it is with abita but this looked and smelled great dark brown with a nice head and sweat chocolate and nuts but then the taste is just a train wreck. It is hard to imagine how it can go from smelling and looking so good to falling short so fast. I think i am done with abita they cant say i didnt give them a chance though

01-25-2006 04:11:42 | More by jnelson54
TexIndy

2.1/5  rDev -42.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date on the back label. Poured a dark brown with reddish highlights. Had a good sized tannish head. The smell was very weak - almost undetectable. The taste pretty much followed the smell. I kept thinking man this is watery and without taste. Mouthfeel was watery. Got to say I'd rather have a Miller Lite than this. I've liked other Abita's but this misses the mark by a mile. Don't recommend even to knock off list. (2, NA, ML, N)

03-08-2007 02:12:16 | More by TexIndy
palma

2.1/5  rDev -42.5%

For some reason, I just dont like this beer.
I always seem to notice a subtle skunky aroma. Ive had this beer many times before and always the same aroma. Taste is not very good either. Its pretty malty but it has some bad ass heineken hop profile. And a weird horse stable flavor. Dirt and hay and shit? I dont know. I've had this beer time and time again hoping that one day I just might like it, but in the end, this beer is just not for me. Sorry.

12-22-2005 05:52:18 | More by palma
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

2.23/5  rDev -38.9%

12 oz. brown bottle with best if consumed before notches of 4 - 18.

Clear mahogany with red tints and a massive, pillowy head that laces its way down the sides of the glass.

Fruity smells come out front quickly followed by vinegar like souness that's over the top.

Medium body with medium carbonation. Vinegar-like sourness is back in the taste. Nut and roasty notes hidden underneath the spoiled taste of a bacterial infection.

This beer was well before the date of caution, and I had my wife smell and taste it, and she agreed it was rank. My conclusion is that the bottle I bought was infected. Down the drain it went.

04-01-2006 20:10:09 | More by Shultzerdugen
Beaver13

Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours dark reddish brown with a frothy off-white head that quicky goes to a thin film.

Its aroma is some roasted malts with a kind of chemical diapery off smell.

It tastes a little better than it smells. Sweet nutty, toffee malts and cocoa. It's kind of acidic with a light bitter finish.

Overall, not very good at all. I couldn't get past the smell, and the flavors were a mish-mash of things, many of which were a little off.

11-25-2004 07:43:20 | More by Beaver13

shade13

07-27-2012 00:14:54 | More by shade13
Stunner97

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Appearance- a dark brown with slight bubbles to be seen inside of it, nice white/tan head which quickly fades a way, if held to light still slightly transparent

Smell- lots of chocolate, slight pecan, nuts, roasted malts, and caramel with molasses tones though something not there i smelt before, uh oh

Taste- Hmm, im thinking maybe I got a bad batch here, not gettin the flavor ive tasted before on this one, may be slightly oxidized here, not good, will continue...slightly nut and chocolate flavor, but the alcohols coming out more then it should right now, think i got a bad batch could be old or something, bummer

Mouthfeel- decently full bodied with smoothness

Drinkability- I have to say I truely believe I had bad batch here, i had this on tap recently and I really liked it, this one was not very drinkable at all but i will with out a doubt give it one more shot, bummer not fun to waste 8 bucks, to be re reviewed...

03-24-2009 03:29:03 | More by Stunner97
phishbone23

01-25-2013 15:05:17 | More by phishbone23
Notacraftdrinker

04-13-2014 04:58:55 | More by Notacraftdrinker
xav33

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Abita Turbodog
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, imbibed 08/06
Medium pour in a pint glass

Poured a reddish black with quickly diminishing 1/8 inch mocha head.

Smelt of toffee and a hint of corn.

Taste of slight coffee malt with a sweeter chocolatey body and slight smokey finish, yet short-lived and watery. Mouthfeel was light and fizzy.

Overall, a brew that gets the basic taste right, but lacks in intensity.

08-08-2006 06:10:50 | More by xav33
fischerking

2.3/5  rDev -37%

Abita Turbodog from Abita Springs, LA.

This beer was not sweet, almost bitter, not hoppy, and honestly, didn't really have much of a taste. Disappointing, especially coming from Abita, which I normally like.

I drank it on-tap in a 6-beer sampler at The Casual Pint in Knoxville, TN on 12/14/2012.

12-19-2012 01:13:39 | More by fischerking
wcintula

2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

Oh boy(not excited). The bartender poured the Turbodog into a 10 oz glass. Where's the head? It's a dark brown with reddish amber highlights(maybe due to the ambient lighting?). Paper thin head. After drinking a good portion I poured the rest into the glass as a demand for more head I got very little beige head with decent retention.

Oh my God, I've lost my sense of smell. After try upon try to get a nose-profile out of this beer, I asked the guy next to me at the bar who also was drinking this what the hell it smelt like. "Chocolate," he said matter-of-factly. His buddy tried to smell it to and after obviously trying hard to get a grip on the smell he also said it smelled "a little bit like chocolate." After a few more tries, I got it... I guess.

Very dry taste, with hops being prominent here. Smoked, woody and chocolate flavors do exist here.

Carbonation. That's the mouth feel. A little bit of thick beer in there, too.

I'm not big on brown ales, so if you are, don't take my word for it. It's good for a taste, but I'll move on to more flavorful pastures.

06-02-2010 04:30:51 | More by wcintula
danielharper

2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

Thick khaki head on dark body with slight amber hue. Good presentation.

Aroma strong coffee with slight astringency, odd considering that this is a sub-6% beer.

Flavor is, well, pretty much entirely composed of dry coffee grounds. Very bitter, very dry. Unpleasant unless you like eating your coffee raw.

Thin mouthfeel.

Too bitter to be really drinkable, fairly unpleasant. Fans of brown ales should look elsewhere.

01-29-2006 17:02:46 | More by danielharper
shand

2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A great, dark (just a hair away from black), barely translucent brew. I barely got any head though, which is strange after reading some other reviews.

Smell: Roasted malts with coffee hints.

Taste: Oh god, something is terribly wrong here. It tastes pretty good going down, it's pretty malty with just a hint of coffee to temper the taste. But the aftertaste is absolutely metallic and terrible. Ruins the whole thing.

Mouthfeel: Very light and drinkable, at least before the aftertaste hits. Probably a little too carbonated straight from the bottle, and a bit too flat after it's had a bit of time to settle.

Drinkability: I finished about 2/3rds of this before the aftertaste got to me and I dumped the rest. Shame, this could have been good. I wouldn't be adverse to trying it again, I could have a bad bottle since my head was nearly non-existent.

09-30-2010 03:42:43 | More by shand
Rifugium

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

First had: on tap at Jimmy's No. 43, NYC, NY.

Dark reddish-brown color. A moderate tan head with noticeable carbonation. Roasty malts in the aroma, a tinge of chocolate, but mostly burnt coffee, which was kind of a turn off. Taste full of dry cocoa and burnt coffee; not too appealing. Somewhat thin and highly carbonated. Bitter, burnt aftertaste. Overall, not very drinkable, due mainly to the burnt taste and subsequent unpleasant aftertaste.

12-10-2010 16:48:17 | More by Rifugium
Transatlantic

Tennessee

2.42/5  rDev -33.7%

A - Poured a little aggressively with a nice inch long creamy head (lucky pour?). Was dark brown in the pint glass, but couldn't tell if I could see through seeing as I was sitting outside the bar near midnight. No lacing after the head dissipated.

S - Smelled like an adjunct lager. Nothing impressive, just a wet grain smell.

T - Unlike the smell, there was a lot of roasted flavor and quite a bit of hop bitterness. It may be just me on a humid night, but the bitterness was more than I was predicting from it, and actually proved unsatisfying to me.

M - Real thin and watery. But was still left with a bitter taste for a good two seconds after each drink.

D - It smells like an adjunct drinkable beer but ended up being an overly bitter beer with not a lot of flavor.

06-17-2010 22:26:13 | More by Transatlantic
wolffman17

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Best before 11/06.
Turbo Dog pours a deep, dark brown with a tan head.
Mild coffee, chocolate, and toffee aroma.
I'm surprised at how little flavor this has. None of what I smell is in the flavor. There's a tiny bit of caramel, but it's far from having a strong malty presence. What seems to be a high amount of carbonation doesn't help.
Drinkable? I'll just say that I'm not happy that I've still got 5 of these left in the fridge.

08-09-2006 00:37:57 | More by wolffman17
Knapp85

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Color is a good transparent brown, with a good malt back bone in the flavor. Some light hops in the mix. TurboDog has a good following I haven't been able to really understand it. I like the fact that Abita's flagship brew is a Brown Ale and not a Lager or Pale Ale. I think that says something for them. I'll need to try this brew again sometime though because the one and only time I had it, I hadn't chilled it fully and it was a little on the warm side yet.

03-22-2011 04:34:51 | More by Knapp85
acurtis

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

01-30-2012 23:23:14 | More by acurtis
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.