Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (49) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
micromaniac129

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I liked this beer even though it's about as average as it gets and would be a beer of last resorts in any restaurant I go to.
Because the appearance is rather boring with a russet brown body, a small flimsy head that fades quite quickly.
The aroma is really not bad but features a ton of toasted grains. Some mild roast can be pulled out too.
The taste is neither good nor bad it's just there. Hints of roast come into play as well as biscuits and cereal grains.
Drinks rough on the palate.
Turbo dog is a good beer with no real defects that I can see, its just an average but good beer.

03-01-2014 14:31:38 | More by micromaniac129
pmcadamis

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this at Ruby Tuesday's in Champaign. I'm pleasantly surprised by RT's new beer selection! They used to just have psuedo-micro macro crap (Killian's, Foster's ect.), but now I've seen Widmer Bros, SN, Yeungling, and other fairly decent brews there. And they even have a three-glass "micro-brew sampler" of whatever they have on tap at the time. Way to go Rudy Tuesdays!

A - Brown with crimson highlights, clear with a one finger tan head that leaves a decent amount of lace on the side of the glass.

S - Nutty with some black pepper notes. Almond extract, yeast, and marshmallows. Seems sort of subdued to me.

T - Chocolatey malted milk balls, nuts, and marshmallows. Sugary and sweeter than other browns, but a nice leafy dose of hops keeps things from getting out of hand.

M - An initially brisk carbonation turns into a rich, creamy, and full body. Nice.

D - The light chocolate malt flavors and interesting mouthfeel make this a highly drinkable brew. I like it although it doesn't really stand out in my mind.

06-17-2007 03:11:59 | More by pmcadamis
BierFan

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce twist-off bottle into a pint glass.

Poured a dark reddish-brown body, almost black. One finger head the color of Coca-Cola fizz slowly drops. It smells a bit like caramel and tootsie rolls. Sweet, thin bodied, with a nice floral hop presence and a light bitterness on the finish.

04-23-2009 02:20:22 | More by BierFan
MLasoski

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Served: In a bottle, poured into an ale glass.

A: Had a decent sized head, about a 1/2 inch. For a brown ale, that's good enough for me. The body looked thick, deep dark brown, and opaque.

S: Smelled like other brown ales that I've had. Slightly malty, yeasty.

T: I liked this one. The bottle itself doesn't represent the beer it witholds inside. I'm glad I decided to give this one a shot because it tasted just as good as the other brown ales that I've had. I tasted caramalized malts and roasted nuts.

M: It's thicker than other brown ales and it's heavier. I got a malty, roasty aftertaste.

D: Not bad for a brown ale. I would probably stick to my other favorites rather than have this one again; however, it is what it is.

05-18-2009 01:53:40 | More by MLasoski
pvllbum

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

This is my first review so if it's a little weird let me know. A quick background on me is that I thought Miller Lite was the greatest beer in the world until my friend turned me on to other beers and it has greatly changed my beer drinking habits if you will but anyways here goes.

The Beer pours a nice brown color with a very nice chocolaty and coffee aroma. The taste is very close to the smell with hints of chocolate and the coffee with a tinge of caramel flavor in there. Finishes nice and smooth with a little bite on it and a good aftertaste. I drank the beer a little warm because I was a bit impatient when i got home to get it cold but I think if it were a little bit colder it would be good.

09-10-2007 22:30:46 | More by pvllbum
TastyTaste

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Dark brown body, clear when held to light. Head fades fast, ends in nothingness.

Smell: Roasted and nutty malts, slightly grassy, slightly carmely-sweet.

Taste: Roasted malt and coffee, an odd saccharin-sweetness, with a little cereal grain maltiness in the aftertaste. OK.

Mouthfeel: OK, a little watery. Leaves a little metallic mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I have heard a lot about this beer since joining BA years ago. It is an OK brown ale, but I have had many better.

01-16-2006 17:31:37 | More by TastyTaste
Drinkerofales

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich brown, with red and purple highlights. A large dark tan head leaves some nice lacing, after it's quick dissipation. Great looking beer, unfortunately, it's all downhill after that.

Smell has some earthy hop, and some caramel. Lacks that nutty/toffee smell from a brown I really like.

Taste is up front bitter roasted malt. A touch of sweet malt is in the middle, and a hint of tobacco in the aftertaste. While complex, it's not what I am looking for in an EBA.

Feel is medium to light bodied, with a small hop bite. Carbonation is fine, yet I feel I could not drink a lot of these at one time.

Not a bad beer, just not what I was expecting or looking for in an English Brown Ale. I have seen these at the grocery store for a while, but didn't want to commit to a sixer, then found a single at the World Market. Glad I could try this, but won't be buying anymore.

DOA

01-26-2012 10:06:42 | More by Drinkerofales
TXHops

-Malts: British Pale; Crystal and Chocolate
-Hops: Willamette

Odd beer, this Turbodog… We classify it as an American Brown Ale, though I remember reading Michael Jackson calling it something like a cross between a brown ale and something less common—a schwarzbier or a German dunkles. I think I’d agree—it has the roastiness of a dunkles or schwarzbier, and the ale-like fruitiness of a brown ale, or even a porter.

Turbodog pours a pretty deep brown color that shows reddish in front of the light. The tan head lives where the beer meets the glass after a couple minutes, leaving the top of the beer bald. The aroma is pretty roasty—like chocolate malt, but also pretty fruity—like dates or raisins, and alcohol seems to be in the mix a bit too. The result is a smell a bit like malted port. Quite nice, actually.

The flavor is right in line with the nose, though not as strong as port. There’s a fairly sizable hit of chocolate malt, followed by a brief, fruity-rasiny flavor, then a thinnish-metallic flavor similar to the flavor found in black malt beers—Kostritzer and New Belgium 1554 come to mind. The finish continues to alternate between lightly fruity chocolate malt flavors and the thinnish, dry metallic edge. Like all Abita beers, this one’s more carbonated than I can appreciate, is less hoppy than I’d prefer and as a result, sours a bit while the other flavors fade in the tail…

I think TurboDog is Abita’s most interesting beer (though the 2002 Christmas beer isn’t bad and I haven’t been able to get my hands on a few of their more promising beers, like Andygator or their Red).

02-07-2003 18:31:53 | More by TXHops
fjordhook

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours with a dark brown color, fizzy head that diminishes quickly. Has a pungent smell, roasted malts and coffee are the most prominent. Has a mostly coffee taste, I didn't really think the blend mixes well for an ale. Overall is a sharp beer that finishes lighter than I expected. An interesting beer, but not one I would want to drink all night.

01-31-2010 00:26:59 | More by fjordhook
NCSUdo

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Served from a small 12 oz bottle, I don't drink a lot from Abita, but I'm guessing the small bottle is common to them.

A: Poured with an average light tan head, that shrunk to cover the top of the beer. Darkish brown with red hues showing along the sides and bottom of my pint glass.

S: At first smell, I picked up a lot of chocolate and a roasted smell. Nothing over powering, really subtle especially as the level got lower in the glass.

T: Decent taste. Sweet up front. Finishes with a mild chocolate taste. Some bitterness which I think balances nicely, as it tastes more in line with a bitter chocolate rather then a hoppy bitter.

M&D: Mouthfeel is alright. Carbonation is just right, not very heavy for a dark brew. Drinkability is also decent. I've pretty much sped through the first one I opened, but I don't think I would want to drink more then a couple at a time.

Overall, I think this is a pretty good example of the style. It doesn't take you breath away, but it's a good beer nonetheless.

05-16-2007 02:51:38 | More by NCSUdo
Kuromaru

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance--Pours a deep mahogany brown with reddish tones, completely opaque. An aggressive pour yields a decent, 1-finger head with a toasted cream color. Little retention.

Smell--Cereal-y, grainy, nutty, chocolate-y, with some molasses and toffee notes as well. As the beer warmed, I got a hint of alcohol, which, considering the modest content, surprised me a bit.

Mouthfeel--Medium body, lighter on the palate than I was expecting. Decent carbonation. Surprisingly crisp and refreshing, considering the style.

Taste--As in the nose, a big and varied malt presence, from cereal to candy and back. There is a faint hop bitterness in the finish, which is nice.

Overall--Very drinkable and satisfying brown ale. Nothing about this beer says "turbodog" to me, so I have no idea where that name came from, and, quite frankly, it's a pretty big turnoff. It sounds like some sort of alcoholic energy drink made to compete with Red Bull + vodka or something. Anyway, the twinge of hop bitterness here almost made me think I had a secret ESB on my hands, but layer after layer of malts suppresses it too much. Still, despite the awful name, this is a rich, smooth and likeable beer.

08-21-2011 15:07:17 | More by Kuromaru
nickfl

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Dark amber-brown with 2.5 fingers of off white head. Good clarity.

S - Sweet, malty aroma with a bit of hops and a some roastiness, but nothing powerfull.

T - Malty, roasted flavor up front, followed by a good bit of hop flavor, coffee notes, and more than enough bitterness to balance. Finishes hoppy, with some alcohol character.

M - Moderately thick body with fairly low carbonation.

D - Easy to drink several of this one. Nothing complex about it, but it is a good, satisfying session beer.

10-05-2007 21:45:20 | More by nickfl
Immortale25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a chilled pint (against my will) at Lucky's New Orleans. No freshness date.

A- Pours a dark brown color with a 1/4 inch tan head that doesn't retain long before fading to a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a half sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a thin ring behind on the glass.

S- Mild milk chocolate and some caramel, also mild. Moderate roastiness.

T- Flavor is even more mild than the aroma with some more faint chocolate and soft roast. Touch of oxidation. Super easy drinking for a malty beer.

M- Thin but still with some slick viscosity in the afterfeel. Medium carbonation and a fullish body.

O- Not one of the best brown ales out there but it's a good session beer if you're craving something darker.

08-28-2013 02:24:17 | More by Immortale25
Mikecap

Louisiana

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a deep brown with two fingers of fluffy white head that fades fairly quickly, nice chunky lacing on the glass.

Smell: Roasty notes dominate, with some chocolate, caramel malt and a bit of light hop character, nice smell for a brown ale overall.

Taste: Up front with some smoke and coffee, a bit of chocolate and some roasted barley. Some more bittersweet chocolate, very pleasant tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation and a nice creaminess. Not exactly silky smooth but quite easy drinking and enjoyable.

Overall: Can't believe I hadn't tried this to date as it is a "classic" American craft beer in the minds of many. This is a good brown ale worth trying, and honestly one of Abita's better offerings.

09-16-2013 02:13:45 | More by Mikecap
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sampled at the brewery in the tasting room before a brewery tour today.

Dark brown with ruby highlights, almost cola in colour. Light brown head is dense and has staying power. Gobs of lacing down the sides.

Rich malts in the aroma. Fruit cake, chocolate, coffee.

Flavour is the same as the aroma. Rich and smooth, full bodied with moderate carbonation. Gives you the impression of a dense loaf of bread with touches of chocolate and coffee.

This one would be great on a cold winter night.

03-28-2014 02:03:46 | More by Noxious26
Furlinator

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours reddish dark brown with almost no head and very little lacing.

Smell is of faint chocolate with hints of caramel and brown sugar.

Taste is chocolate and caramel up front with faint coffee and hops at the back end.

Mouthfeel is crisp with medium carbonation and a velvety aftertaste.

Overall, this is a solid brown ale. Light and crisp enough to enjoy more than one at a time but certainly not lacking in complex flavor.

09-06-2013 05:18:30 | More by Furlinator
DrunkMcDermott

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Served at, of all places, the German Kristkindlmart at Chicago’s Daley Plaza. Oh well, I’ve already had the Stiegl and HB last winter...

Actually served a bit too cold to make out much of the character. But still, it’s pretty good. A bit of spiciness in the tan foam make me think briefly of a Christmas ale. A general hop bitterness is apparent at the first taste, then I caught some good chocolate malt with very little astringency. Looks good, tastes good.

03-30-2006 16:17:39 | More by DrunkMcDermott
rlee1390

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

A-Clear deep ruby/black in the glass, one finger head.

S-Roasted malt, cinnamon, other spices, some vanilla

T-Roasted malt, some cinnamon, good bit of vanilla, nutty flavors. In a way similar to a winter warmer.

M-Watery and a little thin, some carbonation.

O-A nice little brown ale, drinks more like a winter seasonal to me though.

03-30-2012 05:05:10 | More by rlee1390
TheCondor

Missouri

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Side poured with standard vigor from a bottle into a pint glass. Picked up as a mix and match six pack element.

Appearance - Pours a nice deep brown color with a solid, one finger head of tasty looking tan head that shows good lacing and retention. Pretty boring packaging, nothing really stands out about it.

Smell - Sweet malts, breads, a little caramel and some toast. There is a slight hint of something sweet, toffee perhaps. Nothing groundbreaking here

Taste - A little roasted caramel, some malts, breads, etc. Again, nothing really here to write home about. Relatively boring.

Mouthfeel - Finishes crisp, clean, and smooth. One of the better parts of the brew.

Overall - All in all, a boring beer. Nothing stands out here, nothing to really write about. Just a standard brown beer, bland. I wouldn't necessarily buy again. I would drink it though, for free.

12-26-2012 03:12:57 | More by TheCondor
coasterfreak75

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

I saw this beer for the first time on Emeril Live and decided I had to give it a try. I usually agree with Emeril and this one didn't let me down.

The pour was a dark copper/mahogany with a two finger beige head that quickly dissapated and left a thin beige lace on top of the beer.

The smell was quite sweet, a strong roasted caramel with just a hint of apricots and some hop spice in the back of the nose.

The drink started with a chewey malt character mixed with a grainy background. In the middle the sweet caramel took over the palate. The finish was a lingering hop mixed with a fruity sweetness.

All and all this would be a great beer to drink with food or to put into food. I'll keep some of this in my fridge at all times from now on.

09-28-2004 23:51:17 | More by coasterfreak75
aracauna

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

I really wasn’t expecting a whole lot, so the slightly roasty flavor caught me off guard. It was actually verging on being a porter in the flavor with chocolate and a bit of licorice (and an almost smoke). Slightly bitter in the finish. The only real drawback was that it was too bubbly and light bodied. It was a great poker beer though.

10-11-2004 01:58:38 | More by aracauna
avaulteriam

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

very nice smell. Hazelnut, coffee, chocolate. Nice Red color, thick head. A very tasty brown ale with tastes of chocolate, malt, candy sugar, some ripe fruits. Finish has a slight taste of hops. Nice smooth brown ale, very nutty, very good. Not too shabby.

05-29-2008 22:14:26 | More by avaulteriam
shadow1961

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Abita Turbodog pours a finger of tan foam over a deep chocolate
colored brew. Carbonation is hard to guage due to the opacity of
the brew, and the nose is molasses, The flavor is toasty malts and
mocha, up against a bitter chocolate finish with herbal hop notes.
Mouthfeel is round, yet the brew finishes a bit dry- with a bit of
grain and herb in the aftertaste. Altogether a pretty good brown ale.
Very nice with some crusty vienna bread and a few chunks of
Jarlsberg and Wildflower Cheddar.

04-09-2008 07:38:03 | More by shadow1961
zrab11

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Pours a nice dark brown color with nice tan thick head

S-Not a ton of smell but does have some roasted notes and maltyness to it

T- Tastes of coffee and carmel hit you right away and then it finishes with a hint of alchol and brown sugar

M-Has a medium body with ok carbonation

D- Overall i was surprized by this beer. didn't think it would be that good but i really liked this. Was a tad watered down but not too much and had alot of nice flavors comming through and is very drinkable for even beer noobs. Will get this again

04-17-2011 19:43:29 | More by zrab11
77suburban

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Dark reddish brown. Pour a decent, creamy head, bubbles a bit large.

Smell: Caramel, cocoa, malt for sure. Slight yeast.

Taste: Medium body, a bit to the thinner side but holds up well. Malty, definitely - much smoother and more balanced than many brown ales. Chocolate, hazelnut.

Notes: This is one of my favorite brown ales. Many others overemphasize the nuttiness which is characteristic of this ale. Turbodog is more balanced and smooth - an easy drinker. I wouldn't want to drink more than one of the more high-end browns, but this could be a good one all evening. Would be perfect for a cook-out!

11-06-2007 22:31:35 | More by 77suburban
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.