Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
Reviews: 976 | Hads: 2,684
3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

Very nice looking beer. Poured it into a pint glass and got a nice little creamy head with a dark brown body. Smells nice of caramel and a bit of molasses. Taste is nice roasty caramel flavor and a bit of hop bitterness at the end. Overall it wasn't as robust of a flavor as I was expecting. Mouthfeel was carbonated and light in body, I was hoping for a bit more creamy feel to it. This beer is nicely sessionable and the 5.6% is not apparent. Decent beer but it won't be part of my regular line up (499 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

A full beer with some bite. But it's the bite of something bitter, maybe the coating of an aspirin. ? The beer looks thick and frothy, like a mouth-full of sea foam. And the first time I had it was at a local bar here in town. My friend recommended it, so I tried it. And I liked it quite a bit. So I went back for more recently. But this time, it was coming in fresh, not following another beer. And this time, well, it stood up as a strong brown bitter beer, but maybe a bit overboard on the strong beer part. (511 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -0.6%

poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. best by 6-27-07, tasted on 4-8-07

A- dark ruby brown with a fluffy inch high light tan head

S- malty with a hint of nuttiness, not a whole lot

T- malty with traces of nuts and a little chocolate. tastes more complex than it smells

M- mediun body with ok carbonation, a little tingle

D-pretty smooth and frefreshing, could drink several in a row (399 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +8.5%

After looking at this beer on the shelves for over a year, I finally broke down and grabbed a six pack.

Pours very dark brown to black, with a tan head maybe 1/4" thick.

Smells malty, and good.

Taste is surprisingly complex, rich, but goes down smooth.

Mouthfeel is lighter than it seems like it should be.

drinkability is high, goes down easy, seems like it would pair well with rich or spicy food, not sure if I want to just drink one, but with some jambalaya, heck yeah. (482 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a bottle to a Pint Glass.

Appearance was very dark, with a hint of light brown when held to the light. Poured about Two fingers of robust dark tan foam, which remained for the length of the glass. Very impressive lacing, leaving a notch at each sip. The aroma was lacking to me. Really not much at all into the nose. Taste was in the same vein as aroma. Found it had a good hop tingle, but it balanced well with the malt. Above average mouthfeel, clean with no lingering tastes.

Overall, I found it was a good beer. I didn't find it mind blowing by any standard, but it was a solid dark Ale. Would buy again, but I don't think i would drive out of my way to get it. (679 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a very deep, almost blackish, red with a small creamy-white head. Aroma has hints of caramel and chocolate.

Good roasted malt flavor, with a hint of chocolate. A small hoppy finish. Overall, this is a good beer that I would definitely have again, and it is a great brown ale. (284 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.9%

I am a member of the Beer of the Month Club and this was one of the first beers that came in the first month. I have been a huge fan of this beer ever since. I enjoy the slight chocolate smell and taste of the beer. I was never a dark beer drinker until I tasted Turbo Dog. I now can't get enough of the "Dog". I have turned on quite a few on my friends to this tasy beverage now too. It is hard to find this beer where I am from but when I do get some it is a very welcome treat. (480 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

A- Amazing dark rich color. The head of the beer also has a rich color to it. When held up to light its still hard to see the light coming through but you can see a redish tint in the beer.

S- Nice strong smell. Smells like a great beer and you can smell the hops in it.

T- Great taste. Reminds me of a chocolate stout. Hops are not too over powering.

M- It does not foam up in the mouth it stays nice and smooth.

D- Deffinetly one of the best Abita has to offer. A great taste and not too hard on the tongue or on the stomach. I say a 6pack will do. A good beer for dark ale lovers. (587 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%

This is my first review so if it's a little weird let me know. A quick background on me is that I thought Miller Lite was the greatest beer in the world until my friend turned me on to other beers and it has greatly changed my beer drinking habits if you will but anyways here goes.

The Beer pours a nice brown color with a very nice chocolaty and coffee aroma. The taste is very close to the smell with hints of chocolate and the coffee with a tinge of caramel flavor in there. Finishes nice and smooth with a little bite on it and a good aftertaste. I drank the beer a little warm because I was a bit impatient when i got home to get it cold but I think if it were a little bit colder it would be good. (705 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

pours dark brown with an inch tan head. left a little lacing. smells smoky, malty and sweet. tastes toasted with dark chocolate and coffee. finishes toasty and bitter. great mouthfeel, not too foamy, not too sticky. really smooth. drinkability is very good on this beer. this is my favorite Abita. (297 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

From the 12oz short bottle, you can feel the burly medium body in the pour. It's doesn't look thick, but you can tell you're in for a slight heft.

It pours a DARK brown, with some amber tints under more light. Head formation wasn't amazing, around 1 finger from my bottle, and retention wasn't any better. More lacing on the glass than I expected, all the same.

Smell is of sweet malts, mostly, and a bit of chocolate.

There's nothing extraordinary about the look or smell of this beer, but the taste is proportionally far more complex and, to my mind, delicious. I first notice a smoky caramel or toffee, which gives way to a slight hop bitterness on the back on the tongue. Very ripe fruit darts in and out across the palate. The finish contains that slight hop flavor and some serious chocolate.

This beer has a fairly staunch carbonation, not overly so, but a nice refreshing cascade of bubbles tumbles through the medium body.

I love this brew, especially for only $7.50/6p! I have to exercise some control when drinking it because of the body...it's so delicious, but too many and I'm doubled over and altogether asleep for the night. Very drinkable for the first one or two, and an awesome balance of sweet malts and hop bite in a good American brown ale. Enjoy. (1,276 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A. Pours a Dark mahogany with a dark tan head. Head lingers, then quickly dissipates. Minimal lacing.
S. Dark malts, coffee, chocolate.
T. Same as the smell. Dark, mildly burnt malts. Coffee. Chocolate.
M. Thin, slightly over carbonated.
O. Not a bad beer, but there are better examples of the brown ale style. Seems a little too burnt. (337 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours an opaque brown with a fingernail sized foam head that dissapears shortly after pouring.

(Smell): Almost nonexistent, this Brown Ale has an extremely subtle smell of what I sensed to be a malty chocolate with a hint of nuttiness.

(Taste): I'll be harsh to judge here, but this beer tastes like the failed aftermath of a new seltzer experiment. It is very bland and subtle with absolutely no aftertaste.

(Mouthfeel): Watery and slightly carbonated.

(Drinkability): If you enjoy the taste (which might be asking a lot), the Turbodog might make a good session beer. With an almost complete lack of flavor and a low alcohol content, this Brown Ale won't be meeting my friends anytime soon. (786 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

This poured a dark, caramel-like color. It held an inch-thick creamy caramel colored head for about 2 minutes. Nice lacing. It smelled hoppy, but also with a hint of roasted nuts and chocolate. It was a bit watery in the mouth. I was expecting something thicker. The taste is worth the expense and it is definately an easy drink. I really enjoyed the aftertaste (smokey, chocolatey). My take: give it a whirl! (409 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11%

A- Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Dark brown with some good looking and solid brown beige head.
S- Dark, porter-like aroma. Heavy on the chocolate malt.
T- A light-feeling dark chocolate, followed by fresh roasted coffee with a slight bitter presence. Nice transformation into the aftertaste.
M- Not to heavy or super-carbonated, a nice balance
D- I could knock down a few of these happily. Pretty nice balance of everything here. (440 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bottle out of a six pack bought at Oliver's in Albany.

Appearance: Very dark reddish brown and clear. Moderate head, about 1/4 of the glass.

Smell: Moderate strength, sweet.

Taste: Somewhat sweet, I can taste a bit of molasses or brown sugar. Just a tiny bit soapy after taste. Overall a pretty good beer. Not very bitter.

Mouthfeel: Feels to have a bit more carbonation that most beers. It almost seems a little bit watery, which I have also noticed in other Abita beers. It couldn't hurt to have more body.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, smooth. (565 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Poured very dark brown with a nice thick-tan head that dissipated a minute later leaving a ring and some lacing. Served in a Westvleteren chalice.

S - Not much. If you keep trying you will eventually get malt, light coffee and freshness.

T - Watered down taste of caramel, coffee, malt and brown sugar. Hops are there and you can tell but you can't taste them. After it warmed a bit the taste profile went higher. I would recommend to drink this beer at 65ºF more or less.

M - Carbonation is good and it has a sweet aftertaste.

O - Better than any commercial mass production beer, but I've tasted a lot of better brown ales. (633 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

Overall, it is an great and balanced beer. Smell is nice and clean, mouthfeel is appropriately carbonated and adequately full. Not too sweet, bitter, or dark, but a good balance of all three. Fairly easy drinking and refreshing. Got a growler full of it. (254 characters)

This had more of a stout look to me rather than a brown ale. It poured out black athough in no way as thick as a stout.

Good head remained as the glass filled. Cool and crisp taste going down.

Can't say I've ever had a disappointing taste from the Abita brands (262 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Again since I am from Louisiana I have to show a little bias, but I actually really like this beer. Pours a dark, dark brown, almost black with a about a finger worth of beige head. When you bring the glass up to smell you will almost immediately notice the faint aroma of chocolate. Has a very good taste going down with a clean finish. Mildly carbonated and decent lacing on the side of the glass. (399 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Laughing Dog beer glass, when I held this brew up to the light it was a dark blood red. In regular lighting- a rich dark brown that you can't see through- what's in there? Something dangerous perhaps...
The smell sums this beer up for me- it's got things going on (chocolate, barley, a little bitter), but it dies off a little short. Same with the taste- ends up slightly on the watery side despite keeping it real most of the way. This also brings down the points for mouthfeel, it's a little on the thin side for me. However, you can't forget that it's an ale, so despite the fact that it leans towards stout (oh yeah), it's up front about the ale factor, which explains the wateryness. All in all, a super solid brew, especially for the price, and one that I could see myself drinking quite a few of in one night. Will buy again. (846 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

I am a fan of dark flavorful ales and this beer met that mark well.

It started with a cream colored head two fingers thick in a frosted pint glass. The aroma was light but smelled of of sweetness and maybe a hint of fruit or citrus.

on the tongue it started with a mild sweetness that hinted at chocolate and coffee or toffee mingled with malt and perhaps bread followed by a slightly fruity lightly citrus flavor and a bite of hops and warm alcohol.

this beer finishes a bit dry and lingers on the palate, but in a good way. Good balance over all. A must try for any beer drinker. (589 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Dark brown with ruby highlights, almost cola in colour. Light brown head is dense and has cling. Gobs of lacing down the sides.

S: Sweet malts in the aroma. Fruit cake, chocolate, coffee.

T: Flavor is the same as the aroma. Rich and smooth, full bodied with moderate carbonation. Gives you the impression of a dense loaf of bread with touches of chocolate and coffee.

AT: Dark Chocolate and Coffee at the end. (415 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Dark reddish brown. Pour a decent, creamy head, bubbles a bit large.

Smell: Caramel, cocoa, malt for sure. Slight yeast.

Taste: Medium body, a bit to the thinner side but holds up well. Malty, definitely - much smoother and more balanced than many brown ales. Chocolate, hazelnut.

Notes: This is one of my favorite brown ales. Many others overemphasize the nuttiness which is characteristic of this ale. Turbodog is more balanced and smooth - an easy drinker. I wouldn't want to drink more than one of the more high-end browns, but this could be a good one all evening. Would be perfect for a cook-out! (618 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

As I am from Louisiana bayou country, I consider this to be my main local microbrew. A very hearty and filling concoction that is the absolutely perfect choice to go with spicy boiled crawfish (or any other spicy Louisiana cuisine!) There is a hint of chocolate (maybe even coffee?) and well toasted biscuit. along with other ingredients that I can't pick out, but know they are there. It's called a brown ale, but it seems like a porter to me.

Some have said that this is a good session beer. Unless the session includes spicy food, I would have to respectfully disagree. I find myself having to carefully alternate this beer with a lighter beer, less the lingering aftertaste completely dominate my palette (I find Hoegaarden to be an excellent intermediary.)

The bottom line is that if you are visiting Louisiana and dining on a spicy seafood dish, you should wash it down with this local product. I am away a lot, and I never feel like I've arrived back home until I can get this into gut. (995 characters)

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.