2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Turbodog Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next › last »
Ratings: 2,113 | Reviews: 944 | Show All Ratings:
hopsgirl36

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

I brought the turbodog from a bottle shop in palmerton I tryed the purple haze and loved there light razz taste so I wanted to try the others out there.

Apperance: a dark ale with a heavy head.

Aroma: reminds me of a moca coffee burent with malty caramel scent. Little hop aroma

Taste: roasted barly with a hint of sweet coca the bitterness is there but the maltyness of the caramel fades it to bittersweetness.

Mouthfeel: a medium-bodied has a very smooth roasted finish.

Overall: these beer go's great with wild game roasting on an open flame. Great for camping.

04-23-2012 20:30:17 | More by hopsgirl36
Americanzero

Tennessee

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a bottle to a Pint Glass.

Appearance was very dark, with a hint of light brown when held to the light. Poured about Two fingers of robust dark tan foam, which remained for the length of the glass. Very impressive lacing, leaving a notch at each sip. The aroma was lacking to me. Really not much at all into the nose. Taste was in the same vein as aroma. Found it had a good hop tingle, but it balanced well with the malt. Above average mouthfeel, clean with no lingering tastes.

Overall, I found it was a good beer. I didn't find it mind blowing by any standard, but it was a solid dark Ale. Would buy again, but I don't think i would drive out of my way to get it.

12-05-2012 00:36:33 | More by Americanzero
IsaacCraft

Mississippi

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I tasted like all the things I enjoy about IPA's without the crazy bitterness. The taste had hints of chocolate and toffee which makes it ideal for a dessert beer. I'll probably buy a six pack of this to enjoy after meals in the very near future.

02-20-2013 17:22:50 | More by IsaacCraft
bedford

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a plastic cup, only thing on hand. After "best by" date, but still good. Cool but not cold at time of drinking.

Looks dark brown, almost opaque. Not much carbonation, but a rapidly rising light brown head arose and settled to creamy lacing. Smells and tastes slightly of chocolate, not too bitter. No noticeable alcohol taste. Mouthfeel like 2% milk. Aftertaste very mild, got slightly bitter towards the end. Drinkable like water, goes down very easily. I could drink this all night. I had to keep myself from gulping. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 here is that towards the end of the bottle, the aftertaste caught up with me.

All in all, a very pleasant beer.

03-17-2006 05:19:00 | More by bedford
VICVALLIN

2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

tried last night at han's bierhaus in houston, tx. poured a medium color brown with not much of a head. its very smooth and doesn't a bitter after taste like some of the american versions of the english brown ale i've had before. will definitely try again.

edit: gave this another try saturday at lucky's pub downtown and i swear it tasted like watered down hot chocolate. word to the wise, never judge a beer on how it tastes when you're already drunk.

12-14-2010 18:33:24 | More by VICVALLIN
AhabFlanders

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a dark brown with a half inch tan head. The head faded quickly leaving a ring around the glass and moderate lacing.

S: Very inviting. Clean malt at first giving way to sweet toffee, and a bit of chocolate.

T: Similar to the nose. Sweet toffee and caramel malt with some hints of cocoa as well. A light hop bitterness is also present, just enough to keep it balanced. The toffee roasted malt flavors return in the aftertaste. As it warmed it developed a noticeable alcohol taste which dragged it down a bit.

M: Light with moderate carbonation. Nothing special but nothing wrong with it either.

D: Overall a fairly drinkable brew. The first half had disappeared almost before I noticed. However, the noticeable alcohol which came out as it warmed limits the overall experience.

01-20-2011 05:23:49 | More by AhabFlanders
MrSoto

Puerto Rico

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

This is my first review so I am doing my best. Hope it's not bad.

A: Dark brown with some dark amber edges. Small tan head that quickly dissipated.

S: Toffee like smell. A little sweet chocolate milk.

T: I leaves a bit of coffee flavor. Close to a porter but more watered down. Milk chocolate flavor, not so rich as a darker one.

M: Medium, leaves a nice chocolaty and coffee like aftertaste.

Overall: I like this beer a lot. It's good and cheap for the price of most craft beers in Puerto Rico. It's a beer that I like to keep in my fridge.

09-21-2011 00:12:49 | More by MrSoto
tedan

Delaware

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into beer glass, 13 degrees C. No date on bottle.

Pours with a large tan head which falls to about half a finger after a few minutes. A good amount of lacing appears as you drink it.

It's a pretty average brown ale. Nothing too out of the ordinary or unexpected but is definitely pleasant and sessionable.

07-05-2013 22:05:56 | More by tedan
azbadger

Arizona

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: Poured a nice brown with dark red highlights, slightly tan head with little lacing

Smell: Roasted malts, caramel, nutty, toffee

Taste: Didnt live up to the nice aroma in my opinion. Tasted of roasted malts, light caramel and bit of chocolate

Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied, felt thin or flat to me especially in comparison to the appearance. may have to try again

Drinkabilty: Average, looked and smelled better than it tasted in my opinion

Serving: bottle

10-12-2008 02:07:45 | More by azbadger
GirlMeetsBrass

Idaho

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

I admit to only wanting to try this beer for the name. Found a bottle at Mac-a-Doodles in Joplin, Missouri.

Pours very dark with cream-colored head that diminishes to more of a glaze. Lots of lacing that hangs around for some time.

Smell vaguely reminiscent of soy sauce with a malty overtone.

Taste is pleasant, hints of roasted coffee. Lots of carbonation. Sharp malty bitterness. Finishes crisply, nice medium body that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

Overall this is a decent example of a brown ale, although I would probably not go out of my way to purchase it again. Nothing about the beer jumps out at me as being particularly memorable.

12-23-2008 02:25:12 | More by GirlMeetsBrass
CannonSP

Maryland

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams Lager Glass

A - Looks almost like a Coke. Very dark with amber hues on the outside of the glass. Didn't notice much of a head.

S - Not much, a little sour.

T - Not much of an initial taste, kind of a chocolaty/coffee aftertaste.

M - Thin. Not much there.

D - I guess I could drink this all night because I don't feel like there's a whole lot to it.

I've become addicted to Abita lately with Restoration being my favorite, but this is the complete opposite of the spectrum for me. It's ironic because this was the first Abita beer I heard about but I'm really not impressed.

01-30-2011 01:40:33 | More by CannonSP
soonerferg

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a quick 1-finger light tan head, which dissipates somewhat quickly. Aromas of cocoa and vanilla cappuccino. Dark, Coca-Cola coloring. Smooth mouthfeel and great drinkability. Aftertaste of chocolate milk. Overall a good beer for sitting out on a porch in the fall, having a good conversation.

10-01-2011 21:16:09 | More by soonerferg
RandyWood

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A-Dark amber, almost black with an off white head (thickness dependent on aggression of pour). Head dissipates quickly with minimal lace left around glass.

S-Smokey, with hints of chocolate and caramel.

T-Smokey and bitter up front with hints of caramel finishing.

M-Heavy and rich, with light carbonation,

O-This beer is great with a good steak off the grill. I will buy it again.

04-29-2012 01:47:53 | More by RandyWood
mrjbrown27

South Dakota

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured smooth. Small off white head that died really fast. Very little lacing. Amber to dark brown depending on the light.

S: Some toffee malt. Toasty chocolate notes. Certainly on the sweet side. Really liked how bright it is.

T: Holds really true to the smell with almost a smoky after taste.

M: Smooth but a little flat. But it sits well the more you have.

O: So far my favorite Abita. Low ABL % so it's kinda like a dark sweet session beer. Nice change up if you are getting hopped out. While there are better representations of this style this beer is typically a great value pick.

01-14-2014 23:59:10 | More by mrjbrown27
Ambro

Missouri

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Dark brown with a light brown head

S - Roasted malts

T - Roasted and caramel malt flavors. A solid example of a Brown Ale. Finishes slightly creamy with light bitter coffee notes.

M - Medium bodied.

D - While there are better browns out there this was solid and I enjoyed it. Probably the best Abita beer I have had so far.

07-22-2009 20:08:17 | More by Ambro
brennenu

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Nice dark brow color. Smaller head with brown tint. Good roasted malt smell and taste with a decent sweetness, but lacks finish. I found the flavor to be good and strong while in the mouth but very faint and lacking taste after you swallow. Overall a decent beer but fell short of my high hopes.

11-19-2009 16:27:09 | More by brennenu
CharlesMcCrary

North Dakota

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

A-A nice, cola brown with a one-finger light tan head that dissipated pretty quickly, but with some thick lacing on the glass.

S- Malty, with some chocolate and perhaps a bit of fruit as well.

T- A full, malty flavor hits the palate first. That’s followed by plenty of fruit (fig?) as well as some chocolate. This beer is pretty sweet, with just the right amount of hops to balance that out. It finished with a bit of sweetness lingering in the mouth.

M- A bit more carbonated than I expected, but pretty smooth. I wouldn’t quite say “creamy,” but it is smooth.

O- A very enjoyable beer; It’s nice and smooth, and quite sweet, but is balanced enough not to make one sick of it too quickly. Not an incredible brown ale, but a very good one. I’d like to try it on tap, where it would probably be even more flavorable.

04-28-2011 23:42:58 | More by CharlesMcCrary
Nikolai

North Dakota

3.98/5  rDev +9%

First review!

Appearance: pours a reddish walnut-brown with around two fingers of head, and decent lacing throughout.

Smell: I personally don't smell much with this ... A little bit of chocolate and hazelnut.

Taste: as my tasting partner put it, it tastes like a "hazelnut coffee creamer mixed with chocolate milk," and I have to agree. There are definitely some coffee notes coming out. As it warms, there is a very slight alcohol taste that comes out, which is more than okay with me.

Mouthfeel: smooth, goes down very easy. I'm having a hard time not finishing the whole glass in one gulp.

Overall: I would definitely recommend this one. It would be a good introduction to people who aren't used to dark beers, since it's definitely not intimidating or overwhelming.

07-17-2011 03:42:33 | More by Nikolai
Lonestar

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A--I'm not an appearance guy. I don't think beer should be judged on appearence, but rather what happens in the mouth.

S--It has a sweet and malty smell that gives a hint of alcohol.

T--It tastes possibly a bit too alcoholic. I prefer the maltiness to come through a bit more on a dark beer.

M--The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the taste and smell. I'd prefer a bit more body to this beer.

O--I actually like this much more than most Brown Ales. I think it would be better at about 1% less alcohol.

05-19-2012 05:33:33 | More by Lonestar
« first ‹ prev | 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next › last »
Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.