SOS (Save Our Shore) - Abita Brewing Co.

SOS (Save Our Shore)SOS (Save Our Shore)

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

German Pilsener |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Beerbuddha on 07-21-2010

This Abita Beer is a message in a bottle...a distress signal for the troubled waters of our Gulf Coast. For every bottle sold Abita will donate 75¢ to the rescue and restoration of the environment, industry and individuals fighting to survive this disastrous oil spill. This unfiltered Weizen Pils is made with Pilsner and Wheat malts. It is hopped and dry hopped with Sterling and German Perle hops. It has a brilliant gold color, a sweet malt flavor, and a pleasant bitterness and aroma.
4.15/5  rDev +11%

I bought this recently at one of our (few) local bottle shops and today seemed like a good time to open it and indulge. I also raise a toast to my most excellent trader, Optimator13, who lives in Louisiana.

From the bottle: "Save Our Shore - This Abita brew is a message in a bottle: a distress signal for the troubled waters of our Gulf Coast. For every bottle sold, Abita will donate $.75 to the rescue and restoration of the environment, industry and individuals fighting to survive this disastrous oil spill. Want to do more? Visit abita.com"; "This unfiltered Weizen Pils is made with Pilsner and Wheat malts. It is hopped with Sterling and German Perle hops. It has a brilliant gold color, a sweet malt flavor and a pleasant bitterness and aroma."

My pour resulted in just over a finger of thick, foamy, bone-white head with good retention. The sun is up and out after yesterday's snow storm and it looked like liquid sunshine in the glass. Deep golden in color with a light haze and some floaties evident, in keeping with the unfiltered part of the description. Nose was really spicy and I suddenly realized that they did not mention anything about yeast. It was slightly sweet, but with a spiciness that could only be yeast-driven. I was not sneezing, so it was agreeable. Mouthfeel was medium with a riot of tastes on the tongue. Initially, I caught a peppery spiciness, then some grassy notes, followed by a biscuit flavor. The finish was very dry, very peppery, very refreshing. Strike two for The Woodman on this day, opening beers MUCH better suited for warmer (read "hot") weather. I am an idiot at times, but at least I know to look for this in the summer if it is still available. (1,698 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11%

I would say this beer is yellow in color, but I guess straw-gold sounds better. With solid white head. Smell is subdued and quite pleasant full of flowery hop notes. There is a definite sweet hoppy bite at first sip, but overall the beer is light and refreshing (considering it's alcohol content). Very drinkable. Very enjoyable. (329 characters)

Poured from a 22oz. "bomber" bottle into a standard pint glass
Cloudy gold in color, with a big fluffy head of eggshell-white foam
Aroma-Subtle wheat and citrus, grassy hop notes.
Taste-Wheat, biscuit,saltine; some background citrus notes, then a nice hop bite that lingers to the finish. An interesting medley of flavors that keep you wanting anothother sip. Seemingly light-bodied for the ABV, and pretty refreshing as well. An interesting brew. And hey! It's for a good cause! (479 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Picked up this 22oz brown bomber at Sidney's in NOLA - not sure how widely distributed this one is. Poured vigorously into a Pilsner glass.

A: Hazy, pale hues of gold on a beer with a frothy, white head. Sitting pretty in the flute.

S: Mild, grassy aroma with major hints of whole grain bread. Pleasant if not exceptional.

T: A grand ol' blend of mild hops and wheat malt rolls across the tongue. Rather unique and delicious. Definitely not a German style pilsner though, more of an American Imperial Pils.

M: Very smooth, clean and crisp. Goes down like a treat.

D: Eminently drinkable even at 7% abv. I can see folks drinking two of these on a muggy NOLA day and enjoying the pains of the aftermath.

Support this cause! As with Restoration Ale, kudos are due to Abita for again brewing something meaningful. First an ale to help NOLA recover from the negligence of the Army Corps of Engineers and now a lager to save the region from the greed of BP. (957 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Poured out a clear, golden-yellow color with a bubbly, three-finger, khaki colored head of foam. It was a long-lasting head that left traces of soapy lace.

S - It smelled strongly of cut grass. There were nice aromas of grains and some floral notes.

T - Good flavor of grains and caramel. There is is nice spicy hop bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied pilsener with a dry finish.

D - This is a very good Pils and it doesn't hurt that it goes to a good cause. (503 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +9.4%

A: pours a clear straw color into a Ommegang brewery glass with about two and a half fingers of pure white head that thins out to about a half finger.

S: pale malt, wheat and lemongrass.

T: citrusy, light malt sweetness and a tad fruity up front. Wheat comes into the mix followed up by a hoppy bitterness and a little heat.

MF: extremely carbonated and bitter, light and crisp with a little alcohol warmth.

D: gotta love a beer with a cause, especially a good one. (473 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

pours a light yellowish straw color. not much head that takes off fairly quickly

smells of light lemon and grassy notes. perhaps just a tad more citrusy and sweet than what I would expect from a pilsener.

at first, the taste was a little light and watery. then suddenly, halfway through the bomber, there was an explosion of sweet flavors. lots of fruity esters that almost taste of sour apples and honey. very nice!

light to medium body with good carbonation

very drinkable beer with more flavor than many pilseners. could really get in trouble with 2-3 pints of this because the 7% abv hides so well. pretty cool that I could enjoy the beer and donate 75 cents towards the gulf relief effort at the same time. (716 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

I know that a lot of people scored this beer in an average, mediocre way, but this is big pilsner. Not an average german pilsner. I think the brewers intended this to be bold and in your face, rather than a tradritional german pilsner. So I will judge accordingly. Might I add that this is almost an imperial pilsner... so here we go.

A-Pours a hazy light golden color with a huge creamy white persistant head that leaves excellent lattice work in it's trails.

S-The aroma is quite dull at cold temps, but if you would wait and see that as this beer warms, it is full of aromatic sweet doughy malts and soft and delicate floral hops. Pretty straight foward and simple as a pilsner should be.

T-Very similar to the smell with sweet doughy malts up front with an earthy/floral hoppiness that lingers into a very soft clean bitterness.

M-The mouthfeel seems a little too sweet and smooth and not dry enough for me... The carbonation is very full and right for the style. But I'd like a kind of a dry finish for this pilsner.

D-This beer being 7%abv is very drinkable. And I highly recommend you give the good cause as well. This beer seems to be going fast so go get you some my fellow beer geeks. And Cheers! (1,216 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

22 oz bomber of this new charitable release from Abita pours a mildly hazy, light gold color with a creamy cap of white head. Shows real nice retention and lacing. Bonus points for a very nice looking screenprint bottle and double-bonus points for the 75 cent donation from each bottle sold.

Nose is big on hops with some citrus orange peel and spicy lemongrass. Tropical kick from the alcohol and quite a nice dose of wheat tang.

Interesting brew, soft yet assertive hop flavor and bitterness with an earthy side as well as a bright one. Light malts and wheat make for a different flavor profile, the wheat adding a unique tangy presence. ABV is very well hidden considering the light malt bill. Mouthfeel is nice with a pleasing softness and is pretty solidly medium bodied. Abita has brewed some good pilsners in the past and this one is right up there with the best of 'em. I'll gladly buy another one of these before they go away. (937 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Brewed in louisiana. Bottle from bevmo for 3.49 and 75 cents goes to charity to save our shore. First time trying it. Nice big white head looking hazy n pale yellow. Flowery, very hoppy for a pilzner. Crisp clean n refreshing. Im impressed. Id buy it again. (257 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Pours vibrant golden yellow color with a massive billowing four fingered head to start which eventually dies down to a thin bubbly layer across the top. I poured this into a tall, narrow German Pilsner glass which probably added to the massive head. Carbonation is moderate.

S - The aroma is mostly crisp floral and lemons with a faint background malt and some spices. This sounds a little crazy, but I am detecting a little bit of alcohol in the nose - as boozy as a pilsner can get which is typically not very much.

T - Floral notes and lemon zest are the dominating tastes with some mild wheat malt underneath. Also getting some clove spicing. Overall, the taste combination is a little odd with the tart/sweet mix for a Pilsner but I like the way it works on the palette. There's also a mild citrus hopping that lingers on the tongue for awhile after the sip.

M - Much smoother on the tongue than I expected as the carbonation doesn't show up anywhere with the "carbonation pricklies" that I've experienced with many pilsners. Light medium body.

D - Very high. I'm not a huge consumer of pilsner beers but this one goes down exceptionally well and above all, the proceeds go to a worthwhile cause which doesn't make the beer taste better, but definitely makes me feel better, along with it's 7% ABV. Well brewed in my opinion and definitely seek it out. (1,365 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a hazed golden yellow color and a thick soapy white head and tons of lacing. Smells floral from the tons of hops, hints of wheat. Tastes of wheat and tons of bitter hops balanced well with good malt flavor. Mouthfeel is very nice and medium bodied with heavy carbonation. Drinkability is very nice. (304 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Lemon gold pour with 1.5 finger white head. Pretty decent retention for the style and nice rings of lace after each sip.

Earthy straw grass nose. Perhaps even a note of peat. Very farm-like.

Smooth up front, with a note of lemon coming in very soon. Nice shot of zesty lemon at the back of the tongue, but not over powering. More bread than biscuit in the middle, but a strong malt presence.

Very nice feel for the style. Thicker than most.

I really like this one from Abita. Their brand had fallen out of style for me, but this one might bring me back in. Hides the abv shockingly well. (594 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a straw colored yellow into a pilsner glass. Abita's SOS shows lots of carbonation, and a head that just won't quit. The smell is mild hops, and even milder citrus. SOS' taste is bready, and only very mildly hoppy. It's a mellow pilsner that's incredibly easy to drink. Maybe it's because I'm on vacation as I write this review, but if this beer is sending out a message on conservation, I'm all in -- except as it relates to SOS: I want more. (449 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

An interesting looking style... it wasn't until I got home that I read the side of the bottle to go on about being a 'Weizen Pils.' Intriguing, and it's for a good cause.

A: A rather hazy straw colour... not as hazy as a hefeweisse or the like, but it gives it the 'wheat beer' appearance. Head is just shy of being a finger-width tall, stark white, quite creamy, with some packed bubbling. Retention is quite nice and it leaves a load of sticky lace all over the sides of the glass.

S + T: A nice, crisp hoppiness that takes the forefront, but I wouldn't go so far as to outright say it 'dominates' the aroma - or flavour, for that matter. A bit spicy, and rather grassy, especially in the beginning of the pour. The flavour allows more malt notes to come through, whereas the nose is primarily aromatic hopping. When I saw the kinda high ABV on something touted as a pilsener, I was kind of expecting it to possilbly be like an "imperial pils" or something - just big and aggressively hoppy. This is not the case at all, and I am certainly appreciating it more and more as I drink it.

M + D: Medium bodied, with a crisp and snappy carbonation that complements both the aroma and the flavour nicely. Some of the soft peppery notes of the alcohol work nicely with the spiciness in the hops, and a modest warming follows it all down. I'd put it down as a 'refreshing sipper,' and it's certainly a beer I think I will be revisiting a few more times while it is available. (1,475 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance - a light haze to the lemony gold brew. About a finger of white bubbles on top. A little soapy, pretty sticky, leaves little flares of lace all around the glass.

Aroma - Soft, wheaty, lightly floral. A smooth aroma, if that makes any sense, perhaps a bit of honey.

Taste - Soft and wheaty as in the nose. The hops are equally mellow, with pleasant florals and a restrained citrusy edge. The swallow pushes the bitterness a little more, drying out on the finish.

Mouthfeel - smooth, clean and refreshing. Medium body, a muted carbonation level.

Drinkability - A great session beer, reminds me of a Blue Moon-Heineken hybrid. (638 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Pouring it from a 22oz bomber, it was a clear honey/goldenrod color with hazy sunny highlights. It gradually built a 2-finger thick fluffy, pearly white head that slowly, slowly (slowly) fell into a thin blanket of froth that covered the liquid throughout the drink. It left quilts of foamy lacing sticking to the glass that refused to let go and eventually dried in place. Immediately upon pouring, there was quite a bit of visible carbonation, but once the bubbles left the side of the glass, any carbonation became invisible. Quite a beautiful presentation that led the way to a great drink.

There were early wafts of something very herbal and a light cut-grass sweetness followed by a grainy, honey-malt sweetness. I wasn't really expecting anything in particular, but I found the initial sweetness very welcoming after a week's worth of IPAs and hop-filled brews. Closely tailing the malts was a faint yeasty lemon juice bitterness and some lightly spicy hops that gave the nose just enough oomph to keep it from being too clean. All together, the smell was rather simple and none of the aromas overpowered any of the others; they all complimented each other with hearty high-fives and pats on the backs - it was a nice, friendly melting pot of ingredients.

From the nose, I was eager to see how the taste compared, as I've found that usually the taste is much more robust than the smell when it comes to hops - granted, not always, so I'm not jumping to conclusions here. Taking a few sips, I found a spicy bitterness right at the front that was mellowed out by a light cut-grass sweetness that had been rolled with some grainy honey-malt notes. I was surprised by the strength of the light lemon peel and herbal hops, but pleased when they were quickly smoothed out by a final subtle caramel malt that added some body. It carried a medium mouthfeel, thanks to the malts, with a fine, airy carbonation, leaving my mouth much dryer than I would have assumed possible. It wasn't a disagreeable ending, but I was hoping that the clean aftertaste would keep my mouth watering after I swallowed. One thing I found interesting was that through the second half of the bottle, I started snacking on some white chocolate macadamia cookies and man, oh, man did they enhance the sweetness of this beer almost three-fold! I could barely taste the hops by the end and I now know that beer and cookies can accompany each other as long as there are plenty of sweet malts to go around.

I really enjoyed the SOS pilsner both for its overall drinkability and the warming sensation I started to feel after half the bottle (anything with 7% and higher ABV is perfect for getting those blood vessels closer to the surface of my skin), but I was especially happy to be able to support the Gulf restoration with this little act of drinking. (2,826 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into my Iron Man pint glass.

I get a half an inch fairly dense head that dies down to a cap of foam on top after a few minutes. The body is a pale golden color with the tiniest bit of hazy and tiny bubbles slowly working their way to the top. Really nice lacing left behind.

The nose is floral, fruity with hints of lemon and lager fruitiness, spicy, and a touch of bread in the mix.

Taste starts off with some bread, grain, and mineral. Then come the spicy and floral german hops that also hint at grass and lemon. Grassy and earthy flavors linger. Quite hoppy actually, and a bit more in your face than a typical pils.

The mouthfeel is bright and well carbonated. Zesty, tangy and spicy. A smooth beer with a really crisp bite on the finish.

A pretty darn solid pilsner all around that I could down at least a couple of bottles of (if I were in the mood). Also, a big nod to the charitable aspect of this beer. (924 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

an excellent american twist on a summer helles. this has hints of sweetness and brisk as hell hopping. the abv isn't noticeable at all. and the grain isn't heavy handed as in mineral dominate. golden with 2 fingers of sticky head. nose of dextrin and unfermentable sugars blended with german lager yeast. palate is lemon zesty but doesn't drop off as fast as a pilsner would. mild sweetness. very mild earthiness. lemon pulp hints but still has a significant mineral character that makes it very dry... but more so tannin sticky. this doesn't have a husky lingering quality either. great feel. (593 characters)

From notes 08/26/10

A- Golden yellow, two fingers of head, small and mild bubbles.

S- Faint hops, yeast, not a whole lot happening in the olfactory department.

T/M- Subtle malt backbone, fairly hoppy for a pilsener, smooth and airy.

D- Top-notch for the style, great flavor going on, but hard to describe the taste. Try it if you can find it. (346 characters)

Hazy yellow color. Thick white head that left a lot of lace.
Very fresh, outdoorsy aroma. Citrus/lemon. Some floral hops.
Sweet malt taste. Grapefruit and lemon. A little bit of piney hops.
This was a crisp, refreshing beer.
A good beer for a good cause. (254 characters)

Nice looking bottle. The bomber pours an unfiltered and hazy, but glowing, goldenrod body with a moderately large white head. Retention is good, and there is a lot of patchy and splotchy clumps of lace clingning to the side of the glass.

Nice pilsner aroma of herbal and floral hops, complimented by bready pilsner malt notes and a hint of twangy wheat.

Creamy medium body is well carbonated.

Taste has a snappy herbal/floral hop bitterness that is quickly matched by some sweet breadiness. Some bittery twang from the wheat is more apparent than I'd hoped for. Lemon zest comes on strong in the middle and lasts into the finish. The 7% alcohol is not noticed.

Label notes say this is a weizen pilsner. Don't think I've heard of the term. Anyway, this one is for a good cause and it's pretty well done and certainly very drinkable. Actually, it compares rather favorably to the excellent Lammsbrau Organic Pilsner that finished the session. (945 characters)

Slightly hazed golden hue with a fully formed thick billowing white head. Fine speckled lacing left behind as the head dwindles down. Lemongrass, herbal qualities, very nice light biscuit malt presence...solid pils from Louisiana. Upfront citric, grassy, biscuit malts and a dry yeast finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied even carbonation going on. Drinkability all day effortless beer drinking experience. (403 characters)

22oz. brown bottle with excellent screen printed label. A nice idea for a beer - to raise money for a good cause.

Served cool into a pint glass, Save Our Shore is a pale straw yellow with great clarity. The thin white head is settling quickly but leaves some lace behind.

Aroma is sweet with pale pilsner malts and a little spicey from the German hops.

Flavor is well judged with good balance of flavors. It has a sweet yellow cake flavor with mild tartness in the form of lemons. Spice comes through here with a little pepper and clove.

Mouthfeel is light in body and appropriately carbonated.

Overall a good beer for a good cause. Seek it out!

By the way, any pilsner weighing in at 7% or more is a double in my book. (725 characters)

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear gold, with 2 frothy fingers of eggshell-white head. This retains with a rich looking finger that rings the sides of the glass with sticky lacing. The aroma is grassy and spicy with a touch of damp earth. This is fairly forward with some bright citrus character as well (especially lemon) which mixes with the wheat and bready malts to give off quite the ripe twang of flavors in the nose.

The taste is moderately bitter and spicy in the mouth, with a flavorful bite of earthy citrus. Zesty fruit and the sweetness of the malts give this a bready tanginess that permeates the profile. The finish is dry with lingering notes of citrus peel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy on the edges but then gets much more prickly as it hits the tongue and give this an overall smooth crispness across the palate.

This one just worked for me. The citric flavors of the hops and the bready twang of the wheat and Pils malts combined with that crisp body to make this a flavorful and easy drinking affair. I think that the lemon and wheat in particular gave this a breezy summer feel that I enjoyed. I could see myself sipping on one of these on the beach. This is a worthy beer for a good cause. Pick one up if you see it. (1,268 characters)

SOS (Save Our Shore) from Abita Brewing Co.