SOS (Save Our Shore) - Abita Brewing Co.

SOS (Save Our Shore)SOS (Save Our Shore)

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

German Pilsener |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Beerbuddha on 07-21-2010

This Abita Beer is a message in a bottle...a distress signal for the troubled waters of our Gulf Coast. For every bottle sold Abita will donate 75¢ to the rescue and restoration of the environment, industry and individuals fighting to survive this disastrous oil spill. This unfiltered Weizen Pils is made with Pilsner and Wheat malts. It is hopped and dry hopped with Sterling and German Perle hops. It has a brilliant gold color, a sweet malt flavor, and a pleasant bitterness and aroma.
1.84/5  rDev -50.8%

This beer gets a 'B' average; obviously this is testament to the fact that there are completely insane maniacs walking our city streets, including tickers.

A - It looks like Blue Moon or Shock Top, only more piss-yellow.

S - This is some repugnant shit, as my man Jules from Inglewood might say. I would not be surprised to learn that this brew somehow incorporated toxic petrol sludge, fatally stricken seabirds or maybe some other flotsam and jetsam. There is a rancid sweetness, some wet-dog and a mushy pea aroma; to describe any more would be just disgusting.

T - Again, disgusting. The themes of the nose are repeated. Wet-dog, roadkill, and microwaved fish meet triple-hops brewing, the vortex bottle, and the Rockies turning blue.

M - I did feel violated, but I won't press charges, officer.

D - Great gimmick for Abita; I feel like I've really given back to the gulf community by buying this blasphemy of a beer. Maybe if Louisiana can suffer more calamity, Abita could find impetus for more special releases. (1,024 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured into an Erdinger weissbier glass, while listening to LCD Soundsystem. This seems like a fun idea, hope it pans out!

A - Really nice white lacing. Straw gold colored body with chill haze.

S - Dry Hopping really dominates the aroma, but at least does so in a fresh, snappy, lemongrassy way. You ever stuck your nose into a bag of hops? There you go...

T -The malt presence reminds me a bit of a Kolsch, only with some astringent grain presence. The hops again are very powerfull, with plenty of grass and lemon flavors. The finish is minerally, with plenty of hops that for whatever reason do not work for me. They seem astringent and out of balance in a way that seems to take away from the beer, unlike many other well-hopped beers.

D - This seemed like a nice idea that just didn't quite pan out for me. Not so bad I wanted to dump it, but at the same time I won't go for it again... Anyways, I hope my 75 cents can do some good... (943 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a hazy, pale yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, a faint Saaz hop. In the taste, a sweet malt and a small saaz hop, very clean though. A small hop bite and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry saaz/ pilsner hop in the aftertaste. A standard pils, yet a bit sweeter. (288 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.1%

A-very thick head, which lasts about half of the glass, very good lacing. Yellow, with a little bit of cloudiness.

S-mainly german hop aroma, some sweetness from the malt, but very pleasant.

T-wheat malt comes through, as well as the yeast that is still in the beer. Finishes with citrus hops. Very nuetral flavor all around, nothing really sticks out as memorable.

M-wheat gives this a soft mouthfeel, very light. Excellent carbonation, head lasted almost the whole glass.

D-only reason I would buy again is because of the money they are giving to charity. I love a well made pilsner, but I feel the wheat gives it too soft of a flavor, way too nuetral tasting for me. (673 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of rmalinowski4. Served in a tulip.

Pours a very clear golden color with a thin white head. Not much retention but some good spotty lacing and a nice collar on the way down. The nose carries quite a bit of bready malt with an ever-so-slight presence of floral hops. The flavor is mostly bread with a touch of sweetness and grain. Nothing too complex and no real hops. The body is not terribly impressive. Fairly thick and chewy with lower levels of carbonation. Some alcohol and no real hop presence. Not a big fan of this. (540 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -24.1%

It got my attention with the unique graphic and reading the .75cent per bottle donation to gulf coast repairs It was a no brainer pick up. Poured into a sam adams pounder glass it forms a strong and sticky off white head. Tons of lace. Tons of carbonation racing to the surface. Its a lively beer to say the least and good to look at.

Soft and mild malts lend room for a hop snap that never comes. It then goes sweet towards the finish and a lingering grain aftertaste. A german pilsner is a bit of a stretch as the hops never really develop. Tastes more like a polished up macro lager except sweeter and less clean in the finish.

Not for me. Although they NAILED APPEARANCE...ho hum. (687 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I'm usually never a pilsner German pilsner fan per say. I enjoy some Pilsners with a full body thicker feel and better after tastes. This one was decent in its pallet feel and taste. A little dry for my taste but definitely was a great beer for smell and look. Soapy thin head, poured nicely in a pint glass. Wheatley pale gold color. Not a bad one (348 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -20.6%

Picked up a 22oz bottle at Whole Foods for $5. Nice deal for an Abita special brew, or so I thought.

A- Golden yellow with bright white foam, filling up my glass with a two inch head which sank slowly and left a mild lace on the glass.

S- Sour apple smell, with some typical Pilsner notes. Very interesting vanilla comes through as the beer warms.

T- Sour fruit continues into the taste, a bit metallic and tangy. Some staleness, but the tasty vanilla saves the flavor profile in the end.

M- Alcohol in the mouth and nose, and rather syrupy for a pilsner. I might have pulled this back to a session-beer ABV, but it works if it's kept very cold.

O- I don't plan to buy this one again. I'm glad that $0.75 made it to a good cause, but unless a sour-vanilla pilsner sounds right up your alley or you're a big fan of ABITA already, I'd say skip this for Purple Haze or their standard Amber. (896 characters)

Found this at a dave and busters, only craft bottle they had, probably sitting on the shelf for the past year (there was unadvertised special on the bottle for 4.95) pours a very nice golden color with about an inch and a half of well retaining head that clings to the glass well after every sip. Super neat appearance. Smells of floral, citric and piney hops. Very pungent and nice. Taste is clean and light in body, grainy sweetness up front and nice hop bitterness on the back end.

Nothing special in particular about this beer but a very clean and decent flavored pilsner (which is a tough style to pull off correctly)

Decent for a charity beer. (652 characters)

Pours like a thin honey, in color and appearance; decent head and lacing.

Aromas are of a typical pilsner; malty, pils malts, some hop or yeast spiciness, not totally sure.

The taste is fairly disappointing, but that is just because I realize I hate pilsners in general. This is a clean, bright, strong example of the newish imperial style of this beer, I just can't say this is enjoyable. It tastes like nothing in my opinion, how do people like such bland beer. Anyway, some nice tart notes I guess with some sweetness. Could be dryer if you ask me.

Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than the average pilsner, obviously, but decent I guess.

Overall, eh, I think I've said enough on this one. If you like pilsners, why not sure, give it a try. Amazing designs/artwork on the bottle and it was for a good cause so I'm still glad I bought this. (843 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -19%

Had on-tap at Sunswick 35/35 in Astoria, NY on 5/27/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a pale golden straw color. It has a small white head on it. The head has decent retention, and it leaves behind some specs of lacing on the glass.

S - It smells of mostly of pilsner malts. There is also a decent hop presence and some spices as well.

T - It tastes of pilsner malts up front. There are some spices and lemony citrus flavors present. It is a tad grainy, and there is a sort of unpleasant bitterness in the finish.

M - This has a light to medium body and good carbonation. It goes down pretty easy and is decently refreshing. The finish has a harsh bitterness that I can't get over though. There is also some dryness to it.

O - This has decent drinkability. It goes down fairly easy, and it refreshing. Overall, I thought it was a decent pilsner. It was a little bit underwhelming, and I didn't like the bitter finish. It was worth a try though. (964 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance- This beer poured a nice bright gold color with a nice thin white head.

Smell: Nice malty aroma with hints of lemon and a floral hoppiness.

Taste: Nice sweet maltiness balanced well with the hops. Creates a nice smooth flavor which is accompanied by a nice bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a nice medium carbonation.

Overall: An easy drinking pilsner with a great cause but nothing mind blowing here. Another lackluster brew from Abita. They always seem to get away with mediocrity and it has served them well. 75 cents per bottle is being donated to help from the oil spill which is great. I think the design of the bottle is incredible. More incredible than the product inside the bottle. (727 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18.2%

Sampled at the brewery in the tasting room before a brewery tour today.

A nice pale gold/dark straw yellow in colour. White head is 1/2 inch on the pour and sticks around for awhile, leaving lines of lacing down the sides.

Aroma is pretty standard german pilsner. Biscuity with a grassy and noble hop background.

Flavour is the same as aroma. Biscuity/bready up front before the grassy/noble hops take over in the finish.

Pretty plain and just ok pilsner. Didn't do anything to grab me. Overall I think Abita's ales are better than their lagers, but that's just my opinion. (577 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

Hmm, a "weizen pils", according to the back. Poured into a large chalice, it looks pretty pils-like, with a bright, clear gold color and a modest, though quickly fading head. The aroma is disappointingly faint, with but a hint of malt. Bland, undistinguished flavor, like much of the Abita line-up. Generic malt, with (very) light hops. There's a hint of harsh fusels at the end that drop it from a 3.5 to a 3 for me. (417 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

A - Golden colored beer, pretty clear, with a bit of a white head. Decent bit of stick on the sides.

S - A bit of breadiness and abit of pale pilsner malt and sweetness. Slight bit of hops and more grain.

T - Taste is the same as the nose. It's definitely a straight forward pilsner, light and easy to drink and pretty refreshing. Nothing ground-breaking here, but an enjoyable portrayal of the style.

M - Light, pretty crisp, moderate carbonation.

O - Average beer, but that doesn't make it hard to drink or unenjoyable. Nothing I'd buy, but you could do worse. (566 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

n. Wheat beer, hint of hops, lots of grassy and citrus notes. Rather sweet overall from the pilsner malt.

a. Murky yellow (hint of orange) with a good head, leaves a nice lacing, and tones of bubbles coming up. Very much what you'd expect. Served in as close as I had to a pilsner glass.

t. First note is to serve this warmer than right out of the ridge...a summer beer it may be, but the flavors aren't coming out clearly.

A somewhat earthy, grainy, almost zesta crackers (unsalted) start. Finishing with a sweet malt flavor back with some spice and a touch bit of an alcohol bite. Hops don't seem to be coming out for me as much as others I saying or I'm just not noting them correctly for the style. They are there but very much subdued. I'd like a touch more to somewhat match the spicy finish.

d. A nice summer session type beer, and why not session for this worthy cause? And for once I feel like charity part isn't just a marketing ploy (or maybe I just feel for the gulf after the last few years). See comments below about abv.

m. The spices are a touch rough I suppose, but nothing that would stop me from drinking a few. Could use a hint more carbonation, but somewhat as expected for the style.

OK i just saw this is 7% so session beer it shouldn't be. There's a touch of alcohol in the flavor but it does a pretty good job of acting like an american attempt at a german summer beer that I'd put at 5%.

This is a solid offering all and all. A hair above average for an american pilsner and why not enjoy when it's for a good cause? (1,554 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -15.5%

Look Nice orangish yellow color with very little head and no retention

Smell Some biscuit/bread notes slight hints of banana and floral hops

Taste Similar to the smell with all the flavors up front and no back end to this beer at all. The beer overall was a tad bit on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel Medium body with light carbonation and slightly dry on the finish

Overall Decent pilsner and very drinkable if you are a fan of pilsners which i'm not I would give it a try (471 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -15.5%

For my taste, a pilsner is already enough of a light-bodied beer. Abita's added wheat to make what they call a Weizen Pils. Maybe only the addition of rice could have elevated the already gossamer mouthfeel of this brew. Drinkability gets a little higher score.
The hops are nice and refreshing, a little pineapple juice and grassy aroma and flavor. But they're not enough to save this beer from being average. (410 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

A- Pours a light yellow body with a small white head.

S- Simple clean grainy/grassy smell with a little malts.

T- Has some sweet citrus fruit like taste with a good pine bitter ending. It is a good buy though, it's $4 and the proceeds go to help clean up the shores so you have to give them props for that.

Food Pairing- Fish or shrimp, maybe a shrimp poboy to be more exact. (379 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - Very pale, golden in color. Poured a thick, foamy white head. Slight haze to it from the wheat.

S - Clear aroma of a pilsener. Not a strong aroma, but a distinct one. Some citrus and spicy notes.

T - Soft malts and a little sweet. Not too dry from what I was expecting from a pilsener. Slighty spicy notes from the perle hops. Had the characters of a wheat beer without being too strong. No alcohol taste present. Didn't even realize it was 7% until I looked it up.

M - Soft and not too dry. Good carbonation. No warming feeling from the higher than average ABV%.

D - Heavier than I was expecting. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, but this one was a good balance with the lighter pilsener profile. The ABV strength was very deceptive. (789 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Oxidized gold color. Sweet smell and sweet amd smooth taste. Mild hoppiness in the flavor and aroma. Ive had better pilsners and
I can get a better one for the same price. Still a solid brew but I will probably stock tomy favorite pilsners. (245 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light, clear yellow gold with nice fizzy head reducing to decent lacing bubbly around all sides of the glass. Aroma is both malty and hoppy with the malt winning the battle. Moderate carbonation. Taste is more malt sweetness than hops but they are both there and living in harmony. Ever so slight alcohol burn. Beer seems to have lost a little of its boldness, though. I am drinking it just 8 days before the best by date. Overall, decent pilsener, nothing incredible... (478 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -12.8%

Hazy yellow colored beer with a tall and thick white colored head.

Smells soapy and herbal. Cracker malt aroma and some grapefruit in the scent. I can smell noble hop in this but it isn't the only hop in here.

Starts out Sweet with a bitter finish. NW style hop with a distinct grapefruit flavor. Distinct wheat malt flavor. Somewhere between American Wheat Beer and a Pilsener, this doesn't neatly fit in a standard category.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Interesting beer and a charity beer for the Louisiana oil spill. No need to stock up on this one. (546 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -12.8%

I bought this because I like to support a good cause. Nice gold color, big head, this is my first Abita beer. Smells like a lager for sure but the taste is thick and malty. Easy to drink but a little strong to be drinking more than one at time. Interesting and now I'd like to try Andygator. (291 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, brownish-yellow in color, hazy, high carbonation

Smell: grass and honey

Taste: bread, grass, and some floral hops. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, light bodied, nice combination of sweet and bitter

Overall: An ok pilsner but nothing I would reach for again. I would sooner get their golden ale. A little less alcohol heat would make me want this more though. (414 characters)

SOS (Save Our Shore) from Abita Brewing Co.