SOS (Save Our Shore) - Abita Brewing Co.

SOS (Save Our Shore)SOS (Save Our Shore)

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

German Pilsener |  7.00% ABV

This Abita Beer is a message in a bottle...a distress signal for the troubled waters of our Gulf Coast. For every bottle sold Abita will donate 75¢ to the rescue and restoration of the environment, industry and individuals fighting to survive this disastrous oil spill. This unfiltered Weizen Pils is made with Pilsner and Wheat malts. It is hopped and dry hopped with Sterling and German Perle hops. It has a brilliant gold color, a sweet malt flavor, and a pleasant bitterness and aroma.

(Beer added by: EgadBananas on 07-21-2010)
View: Beers (49) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
RockyTopHeel

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice golden-yellow with a pillowy, pure white head. Aroma has more wheat than I expected, and smells very clean. Taste is clean, with some dryness and a hint of hops. Goes down easy.

I haven't had a good pilsner in a while, and this is a pretty darn good pilsner for a great cause. Softly sweet, clean and enjoyable without a trace of Saaz skunk (not that it would be a bad thing).

Could use a little more hoppy bitterness, but overall a nice beer.

*Read the bottle post-review. Apparently, this is a weizen pils with no Saaz hops. Explains a lot.

11-01-2010 23:53:00 | More by RockyTopHeel
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Got a bomber for $5.99 at Amity Wine & Spirits in New Haven CT. Served cold in a chilled canning jar (I figure that's Louisiana style serving, assuming it ever left the bottle in the first place). (Ok I fess up, honestly I just didn't have a clean pint glass.)

Clear yellow brew gives a big frothy white head, a good 4" in height. The smell is semi-sweet and a bit musty/ earthy at first. After it airs a bit I get notes of soft apricot, some wheat spices, minerals. Mouthfeel is a bit flat, I'd like more carbo here, it lacks the crispness expected of a pils. The taste is heavy on the malt and light on the hop, completely off balance for a pils. Ok, so it's clearly not a pils.

Setting the classification aside, it's really quite a good and highly drinkable brew. Light but malty, got some honey sweetness going on, apricots, faint tropicals (pineapple?), very faint on the hops (very very faint lemony grassy piney mix). Highly highly drinkable and enjoyable.

As an American Lager it would do quite well so I'm torn aboot how to rate it.

It's a good brew, but since I was really in the mood for a skunky pils it has disappointed me to no small extent. Another day, another time, with a different label, this would hit the spot. Grr. THIS IS NOT A PILSNER!

If I had known what it was and had chosen to drink it when I was in the right mood it would be amazing. Misclassifying a beer harms everyone.

THIS IS NOT A PILSNER! Maybe it was made according to a pilsner formula or something, but upon tasting the finished product they should've realized the truth and called it something else.

11-01-2010 02:09:11 | More by BeerNinja007
OlRasputin989

Arkansas

4.33/5  rDev +17%

Poured into pint glass...

A: a hazy straw gold with a thick moussy white head that has alot of retention. leaves thick creamy lacing

S: cracker-like malt aroma with spicy herbal and lemon scented hops.

T: crackery malt with a honeysuckle sweetness followed by spicy, bittering saaz hops that are, again, herbal and carry a lemon peel zest. finishes very clean, somewhat grainy, with some resinous hops

M: medium-full body for style, with crisp mouthfeel thanks to the balance of hops and carbonation. finishes dry and resinous

Overall, this beer should help Abita to raise plenty of donations for the Gulf. It has everything I love about German Pils...Clean malt character, tasty saaz hops, crisp mouthfeel, and great drinkability. Can't beat the price either(4.90 and bomber).

10-31-2010 22:02:39 | More by OlRasputin989
isualum12

Idaho

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

poured out of a 22 oz bottle. pours very light in color like a classic golden light pilsner. Almost no head poured on my glass.

Smell- fruity in smell a hint of hop in it.

Taste- Hop and pils flavor hits the tip of your tounge right from the start. That is the largest flavor out of this beer which turns out to be a good thing. There is a very slight aftertaste but it is not that strong.

In the mouth the carbonization does come through. This might be the weakest part of this beer.

i was surprised to find this beer for sale here in Boise Idaho. i bought it about 3 weeks ago and I saw it on the shelf still last week.

10-31-2010 20:59:44 | More by isualum12
GilGarp

Colorado

22oz. brown bottle with excellent screen printed label. A nice idea for a beer - to raise money for a good cause.

Served cool into a pint glass, Save Our Shore is a pale straw yellow with great clarity. The thin white head is settling quickly but leaves some lace behind.

Aroma is sweet with pale pilsner malts and a little spicey from the German hops.

Flavor is well judged with good balance of flavors. It has a sweet yellow cake flavor with mild tartness in the form of lemons. Spice comes through here with a little pepper and clove.

Mouthfeel is light in body and appropriately carbonated.

Overall a good beer for a good cause. Seek it out!

By the way, any pilsner weighing in at 7% or more is a double in my book.

10-31-2010 03:41:13 | More by GilGarp
BMoney575

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 10-30-10

Pours a very clear golden yellow color, with a nice white head that settles to a thin layer. Lacing clings to the sides with big bubbles.

Smell is very subtle, a little soapy, with very light citrus hops and bready malt.

Taste is sharp, sweet malt right up front, followed by very soapy hops. The hops are only slightly bitter, and add more sweetness than balance. It does grow on you though.

Mouthfeel is good, thicker than I expected, and suits the flavors well.

Drinkability is good, but the bready malt does start to wear a little thin.

Overall, a well made beer, and worth trying.

10-30-2010 22:32:31 | More by BMoney575
peacebone116

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured my bomber, which I picked up at the Poor House Bistro in San Jose, into a pilsner glass at home.

A: Hazy (most likely due to wheat malt) golden hay color with lasting head and good lacing at leg. Carbonation climbs up continuously (small effervescent bubbles) from the bottom of the narrow glass.

N: Blueberry and pine on the nose; not overwhelming, but I do detect a slight touch of peach.

T/M: Butter blueberry sweetness followed by a touch of cornbread. Texture is oily and thick (not chewy) but is well balanced by the carbonation. No dirty aftertaste, as often happens with hoppy pils, but a light touch of alfalfa and blueberry linger in my mouth. Beer goes down so well on this 90-deg October day. Smoother than most pils that feature less abv.

Normally not much of a Pils fan (as I see many of the reviewers have stated), so I really tried to review this beer within its style.

With that in mind, I have to say it is a pretty good beer for a good cause.

10-29-2010 23:18:42 | More by peacebone116
jzeilinger

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours vibrant golden yellow color with a massive billowing four fingered head to start which eventually dies down to a thin bubbly layer across the top. I poured this into a tall, narrow German Pilsner glass which probably added to the massive head. Carbonation is moderate.

S - The aroma is mostly crisp floral and lemons with a faint background malt and some spices. This sounds a little crazy, but I am detecting a little bit of alcohol in the nose - as boozy as a pilsner can get which is typically not very much.

T - Floral notes and lemon zest are the dominating tastes with some mild wheat malt underneath. Also getting some clove spicing. Overall, the taste combination is a little odd with the tart/sweet mix for a Pilsner but I like the way it works on the palette. There's also a mild citrus hopping that lingers on the tongue for awhile after the sip.

M - Much smoother on the tongue than I expected as the carbonation doesn't show up anywhere with the "carbonation pricklies" that I've experienced with many pilsners. Light medium body.

D - Very high. I'm not a huge consumer of pilsner beers but this one goes down exceptionally well and above all, the proceeds go to a worthwhile cause which doesn't make the beer taste better, but definitely makes me feel better, along with it's 7% ABV. Well brewed in my opinion and definitely seek it out.

10-26-2010 20:35:52 | More by jzeilinger
Brent

Kentucky

While my impresson of this beer may be skewed to the favorable, as the selection of beers available in the Bourbon Street area is a bit monotonous, I have to think that the low reviews of the beer must be bad bottles, because of the three I had during my visit, all were consistently "not-bad." A welcome dose of hops, with a distinct wheat background character. Lively and reasonably smooth, it was the highlight of my NOLA beer-drinking experience.

10-25-2010 14:11:36 | More by Brent
ktrillionaire

1.85/5  rDev -50%

This beer gets a 'B' average; obviously this is testament to the fact that there are completely insane maniacs walking our city streets, including tickers.

A - It looks like Blue Moon or Shock Top, only more piss-yellow.

S - This is some repugnant shit, as my man Jules from Inglewood might say. I would not be surprised to learn that this brew somehow incorporated toxic petrol sludge, fatally stricken seabirds or maybe some other flotsam and jetsam. There is a rancid sweetness, some wet-dog and a mushy pea aroma; to describe any more would be just disgusting.

T - Again, disgusting. The themes of the nose are repeated. Wet-dog, roadkill, and microwaved fish meet triple-hops brewing, the vortex bottle, and the Rockies turning blue.

M - I did feel violated, but I won't press charges, officer.

D - Great gimmick for Abita; I feel like I've really given back to the gulf community by buying this blasphemy of a beer. Maybe if Louisiana can suffer more calamity, Abita could find impetus for more special releases.

10-25-2010 05:31:04 | More by ktrillionaire
bort11

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle poured into a Hennepin tulip. There is a great looking white head. Great height, dense and sticky. Spidery lace circle the glass, with even stair-stepping at each sip. The color is a hazy golden yellow. A lot of that haze must be coming from the wheat malt.

The smell has a floral quality, with a lemony zest. Very bright aromas. The taste has more of that wheat citrus flavors. The carbonation is smooth though not as crisp as other Pilsners. It is a little oily and slick.

I don't know that I've had a Pilsner made with wheat, or if I have never this pronounced. Traditionalist may balk, but it does work out.

10-24-2010 14:51:16 | More by bort11
MoreThanWine

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured a huge head which dissipated to 1". Hazy tan in color. Sweet malt and slightly bitter touch of hops. Really very easy drinking and quite enjoyable.

And the best part about this beer is the charitable aspect. I thorougly respect their initiative to help restore the coast from damage from the BP oil spill. Frankly they could have brewed a cheaper product and people still would have bought it for the causes, but instead they really made a decent quality Pilsner which I would be happy to drink most anytime - and plan to again.

10-24-2010 11:19:36 | More by MoreThanWine
Brad007

Vermont

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked this up after reading about the premise behind it coast(supporting restoration of the Gulf Coast.

Pours a light yellow color with a one-finger head into my glass. A refreshing change of color for me.

Aroma is full of sweet, grainy malt, combining the characteristics of pilsner malt and weizen malt (obviously in the slight hint of clove present).

Taste is sweet and crisp with more of an emphasis on the former. Perhaps a slight hint of clove. Otherwise, it tastes a bit odd for what it is.

Mouthfeel is odd as well, perhaps resembling a liquid wheat pizza crust. Just hard to describe.

Not bad at all. I don't think that the wheat malt and pils malt seem to agree with each other here. A mixed bag of flavor.

10-24-2010 03:32:34 | More by Brad007
meeekyh

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Abita is not among my usual brewers. I have nothing against them just no specific knowledge. I found a pilsner at my favorite LQ and knowing the taste the beer manager has I am sure it will be better than average. Also I was forced to buy their last Prima Pils in the form of three singles, so I wanted more pils.

I am being a bit silly and employing my newly acquired half-yard glass for this review. I am not sure the common wisdom regarding the practice but as I intend to overfill it some I expect it will reveal plenty about the nose and color and head.

The beer pours a light golden yellow with substantial head that is quite white in color. It took two pours to empty the 22oz contents into my glass, a testament to the carbonation and height of the head. The clarity of the beer is quite remarkable in that it is labeled as unfiltered but is very clear even though I upended the bottle. On to the real business of reviewing, or at least the fun part ;-) Before I continue I must mention that the lacing is mountainous.

Nice citrus in the nose. Slightly floral and subtle with sweet wheat malts up front. A bit of pepper and a hint of bubblegum-yeast lie deeper in the mix. Neither very aggressive but both present lending to the complexity but not overwhelming the balance. This is really good pils.

Taste is sweet with a good tart edge and a real likeness to green apple, not tangy like Prima but more so than Summerfest. The wheat malt is again noticeable in an interesting way. I typically avoid wheat beer but the ratio here must be low enough no just allow the complexities come through and not result in over-sweetness that I associate with wheat beer.

Mouthfeel is just a bit oily but light and with plenty of welcome carbonation. The finish is dry and the aftertaste is slightly sweet grain. and a bitter bite around the edges.

Drinkability is high especially in light of the decent price.

I am glad to have found this beer. It is really well done and though I am still more likely to pick up Prima if it is a choice between the two, this is a good beer with great complexity and a cause. I would even say for depth it beats Prima, I am just partial to the tartness and bite of that particular Victory Pilsner.

Slainte!

10-23-2010 02:25:28 | More by meeekyh
merlin48

Kentucky

Nice looking bottle. The bomber pours an unfiltered and hazy, but glowing, goldenrod body with a moderately large white head. Retention is good, and there is a lot of patchy and splotchy clumps of lace clingning to the side of the glass.

Nice pilsner aroma of herbal and floral hops, complimented by bready pilsner malt notes and a hint of twangy wheat.

Creamy medium body is well carbonated.

Taste has a snappy herbal/floral hop bitterness that is quickly matched by some sweet breadiness. Some bittery twang from the wheat is more apparent than I'd hoped for. Lemon zest comes on strong in the middle and lasts into the finish. The 7% alcohol is not noticed.

Label notes say this is a weizen pilsner. Don't think I've heard of the term. Anyway, this one is for a good cause and it's pretty well done and certainly very drinkable. Actually, it compares rather favorably to the excellent Lammsbrau Organic Pilsner that finished the session.

10-22-2010 22:42:40 | More by merlin48
Hojaminbag

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

SOS pours a golden colored bodied with a light tan head that is impressive in size and leaves some decent lacing on my glass as it recedes.

The aroma has grain, pale malts, and an herbal hop character; a hint of lemongrass from the hops also.

SOS is maltier than I expected, especially after the aroma. A pale, grainy flavor mixes with a sharp wheat twang. A hint of fruitiness is in the background. Herbal hops balance the beer. Although they take a back seat to the malt, they do provide bitterness and an earthy, grassy flavor. I think I would like this beer to be a little more aggressively hopped. Also, with the big malt bill and and high ABV, this is more like a helles bock than a pilsner, but it isn't bad at all the way it is.

The body is pretty full, but I guess that comes from the big malt bill.

SOS is a decent beer, especially if you like big, malty lagers.

10-22-2010 19:41:02 | More by Hojaminbag
104bob

This pilsner pours a nice head with plenty of lacing.

The nose has a lot of malt. Not getting much hops.

High carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

Malty up front but finishes clean with a hint of hop bitterness.

It's a shame this is only a special release and doesn't come in 12 oz bottles. I could see this being a good "anytime" beer.

10-21-2010 05:35:27 | More by 104bob
JayQue

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

This isn't like any pilsener I've tasted, but it is a nice drink. Pours a hazy gold with a nice sized white head and minimal lacing. Smell is malty with some wheat bitterness. Big flavor: malty with some wheat bitterness and some mild hoppiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Great balance between malt and hops. Alcohol not noticible but adds to the richness of this beer.

Drinkability is good. This is an interesting beer, rich tasting and creamy with a nice dollop of hops at the end.

10-19-2010 01:58:23 | More by JayQue
mountdew1

New Hampshire

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a golden amber with a slightly off white head. Head was 1 finger, didn't last long, but left amounts of lacing on the top and a bit of clinging to the sides. Aroma was slightly hoppy and citrusy. A touch of both lemon and orange citrus. Taste was prominently hops, slightly piney towards the end. As it warmed up, citrus could also be tasted. Felt thin and watery in the mouth, not at all carbonated. Fairly easy to drink, could go down well during the warm months.

10-18-2010 23:02:57 | More by mountdew1
AdamBear

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

if you're a fan of the type, this is something interesting to try!

A-light cloudy gold, a lot of white head

S-a lot citrusy hops! smells great!

T-hmmm this is a fairly complex beer, which is surprising coming from Abita. a bit hoppy but more citrusy. a good bitter finish

M-medium to low carbonation, slightly watery finish

D-becomes less complex but stays very refreshing

10-18-2010 04:49:34 | More by AdamBear
Docer

Washington

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Found a bottle of this at Whole Foods up here in east Vancouver, WA... go figure!

- Pours a beautiful slightly cloudy straw yellow with a slow rising creamy white head... leaves a massive ring with lace, and a nice thin pillow top.

- Nice bitter hop, some citrus notes, lemon zest, a bready and banana-like Bavarian yeast aroma... light honey grain...

- A sweet and light creamy Bavarian styled pilsner.. touch of honey and bready grain, honey, sugars... smooth banana and citrus zest... very well blended... touch of piney resinous hops..

- Medium to creamy light... rather zesty watering flare with a slightly sticky, syrupy approach... almost an all-in-one as far as the feel goes... slightly chewy towards the end.

- Overall this is very well balanced, but not full of too many robust flavors. It is rather light, and masks its strength very well. Certainly one to drink again, and I bet is nice on tap. Nice that .75c of each bottle goes towards the environmental effort of the spill in the gulf.

10-17-2010 03:46:25 | More by Docer
BeanBone

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: A lightly cloudy, lemony-gold body capped by two fingers of white head that fade slowly and leave great patchy lacing.

Aroma: Light, grassy hops over a sweet cereal-grain malt body. A little light at first, but as it warms the intensity perks and there's even a whiff of booze to be found on occasion.

Flavor: Grassy, lightly citric, and gently bitter hops over a sweet and grainy light malt backbone. There's some nice golden fruit swirling around in there somewhere, too. The alcohol is masked perfectly. Everything is balanced nicely. Grassy, slightly astringent hops and husky grains in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and just a little creamy with medium carbonation and a slightly drying finish. Just a hint of warmth as it warms.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, especially given the moderately-high alcohol content.

Verdict: At the end of the day, S.O.S. is a simple, but enjoyable brew that should be palatable for craft newbies and veterans alike (perfect given its role). At first, I wasn't quite convinced, but by the end of the bottle I was ready for another.

10-17-2010 00:05:22 | More by BeanBone
zeff80

Missouri

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Poured out a clear, golden-yellow color with a bubbly, three-finger, khaki colored head of foam. It was a long-lasting head that left traces of soapy lace.

S - It smelled strongly of cut grass. There were nice aromas of grains and some floral notes.

T - Good flavor of grains and caramel. There is is nice spicy hop bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied pilsener with a dry finish.

D - This is a very good Pils and it doesn't hurt that it goes to a good cause.

10-15-2010 22:20:25 | More by zeff80
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a four finger thick, light tan colored head that leaves some nice lacing as it slowly subsides. The beer is a copper / gold color that shows a hazed, straw-gold hue when held up to the light. The nose smells of sweet grain and faint lemon-like hops. A deep draught of the aroma yields some faint graininess and some hay-like notes, but this is surprisingly muted for a beer of this strength. The most dominant notes in the nose are a light herbal / spicy character that comes from a mix of the hops and grain.

Sweet up front, with a corresponding palate fullness (though not more than I would expect from a beer of this strength), quickly though a nice bitterness coats the tongue to balance the up front sweetness. The bitterness lingers into a long finish, but a sweet graininess is never far behind. The mix of hops and malt remind me of herbal-honey flavors. The malt character is almost the most dominant note here; it also contributes flavors of dried grassy grain, and some pale-whole-wheat crackers. There is a touch of a tin-like flavor to the finish somehow and this seems to be wrapped up in the herbal hop character that flavors this beer.

This is not nearly as aggressively hoppy as it could be; with the Pilsner moniker on the label I expected a more hop leaning beer. This beer has an ample malt backbone, and the subtler hop character makes this more of a hoppy Heller-bock to me. It is actually a bit simplistic in both the hop and grain department in the end though. Still this is not bad and worth a try and the cause is certainly a good thing.

10-15-2010 01:56:01 | More by Gueuzedude
mstyne

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

Bomber from Beverage Mart, NY 66.

Pour just slightly darker than a yellow fizzy brew. I am not afraid!

A wonderful frothy head, not unlike one might find on the shore itself (after the BP cleanup crew comes through, one would assume). Lots of carbonation. Head lingers, good lacing.

Sweet, hoppy, floral. Smells nice.

Hop flavor is present but not overpowering. Kind of wish I was having this brew on a warm summer afternoon and not a cold rainy mid-atlantic night.

Happy to help send a few pennies LA's way via a tasty beer. Well done, Abita.

10-15-2010 00:08:54 | More by mstyne
SOS (Save Our Shore) from Abita Brewing Co.