Christmas Ale 2010 - Abita Brewing Co.

Christmas Ale 2010Christmas Ale 2010

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Christmas Ale (November - December) rounds out our calendar. Generally, this beer is a dark ale, however, the recipe changes each year, offering a unique product crafted with special care. Enjoy your holidays with Abita Christmas Ale.

(Beer added by: tone77 on 11-06-2010)

Chugs13, Dec 28, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -28.6%

12 oz bottlw with a shiny silver label. It has nothign noting what vintage it is, I am assuming 2010.

It pours a clear reddish brown with a foamy off-white head. The head doesn't stick for a huge amount of time and recedes with some decent lacing.

The smell is pretty hoppy for a Christmas beer. It ahs some nice citrus. There is also a papery smell and dark bread.

The flavor is kind of dull, it is a watery brown ale. Nothing exciting about it. Metallic flavor.

crossovert, Dec 29, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

pours a dark mahogany color with a white head that disappears rather quickly. decent lacing however.

the smell upfront is of hops and malty caramel. without tasting it seems rather black ipa-ish.

that association is quickly corrected upon tasting it. It's got bitterness, but almost none of the hoppy/piney/citric flavors of hops. aside from the bitterness the flavor is almost watery and not in a BMC sort of way, just in a very clean sort of way. it's very light with a slight aftertaste.

A little disappointed in this. the smell and taste seems to contradict each other as well as the mouthfeel. I typically expect a bigger body from "Christmas" beers so that through me for a loop and the clean water aspect is also strange.

Blanco, Dec 15, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From winter brew tasting notes (2010): Clear chestnut pour with almost reddish highlights and wispy tan head. Sweet malty aroma with some toastiness. Flavor has hints of cherries, molassis, toffee, and lots of caramel. Nutmeg in the flavor, No real other 'holiday' spices, but that might be because of the age. Interesting that they change the recipe every year. Did not like 2010 at all.

CuriousMonk, Feb 14, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -21.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Mahogany body with a sizeable frothy off-white head and a fair amount of lacing.

Nutty and toasty aromas with a bit of cocoa and light herbal notes Not too strong, but pleasant enough. Flavor is a bit lacking, chiefly due to a metallic/tangy hop flavor that's reminiscent of tea that's been steeped too long. Some char lends a bit of harshness; not particularly smooth-drinking. A single was plenty of this brew.

PDXHops, Mar 19, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -21.3%

I've had many other Abita brews and I like the Turbo Dog pretty well, but this is the first time I've tried the Xmas ale. Poured into a pint glass.

A -The appearance is a deep amber/carmel color. A single fingered creamy tan head that leaves persistent creamy laceing.

S- Smell is not aggressive, but represents with a light grassy hop scent, sweet malt

T - A distinct taste of toast, chocolate malt, and a bitter, high-alpha (?) hop

M - A fuzzy, highly carbonated ale with a lighter body than might appear by its looks.

D - Abita's 2010 Christmas Ale is drinkable, somewhat light for the style, and nothing special. The super bitter taste was a bit off-putting, and I like a hoppy brew!

BurpingtonDC, Nov 30, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -20.4%

The beer pours a amber colored brown with a one finger head. When held up to the light the beer appears a dark red. It smells of malt and a little musky-ness. There is a decent amount of lacing around the glass. The flavor is mainly of malt, a spicy hop character would prove invaluable in this beer. Much too malt sweet with not enough counter balance. Some thing is a bit off, possibly because I am reviewing this Christmas beer in February. The date says it is good until April, although I would not want to have one that far out. There is a decent amount of carbonation but not enough festive flavors to call this a Christmas ale. Since this is classified as a brown ale, I would say that it is alright for that style, definitely not the best.

waterintobeer, Feb 04, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

deonreds, Mar 18, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -16%

Abita Christmas pours a hazy brown, decent sized head and no lace. Bready malt, lightly toasty. Flavor follows the nose, bready, nutty a touch of spice. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Average drinkability, possibly the best beer this miserable brewery produces.

Stinkypuss, Jan 05, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

This brew poured with a one finger off white head that dissipated quickly, leaving no lacing to speak of on the glass. The body is a cloudy chestnut-brown color. On the nose, I got a lot of nuttiness and maltiness going on. It also had another scent, almost an unpleasant sweetness. Hmm, this is odd. On the taste, it’s not what I expected at all. It has some caramel malt and nuttiness, but it’s very watery. Medium carbonation also comes through on the brew. This brew was definitely underflavored, at least for me. The finish had nothing on it. I’m usually a big fan of Abita brews, but this is just not a pleasant brew for me. It’s also not what I would expect out of a Christmas beer. Definitely would not have this one again.

mgironta, Sep 17, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I haven't seen this color before...a nice sandy brown color with a touch of auburn. the head was a little thin, starting about one finger but disappeared quickly. It was a nice frothy tan color. The nose is a spicy, peppery, floral and a touch of malt. It was a bit gritty and tart but a warm herbal flavor. Some fig and dried fruit follows. The mouth feel is only ok. It lacks something but overall a nice easy drinking winter warmer.

claybeer, Feb 10, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Attractive packaging, pours nicely enough. Head on the small, but that's not a big deal to me.

First impressions- very little aroma and a pronounced bitterness. Very little else to remember. Lacks complexity and is rather two-dimensional.

Not what I would expect from a "Christmas" beer, as it lacks the body and spicy notes that I would have expected.

I could drink another, sure. But I won't be rushing out to buy another six pack of these.

I haven't tried their other brews, but this one has left me a little disappointed. Beats the regular commercial brews, though.

rogerharris, Dec 09, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -14%

tone77 wants me to keep him in CANs as he helps to keep my bottle numbers in alignment, so ours is a symbiotic relationship as traders. I am all about Abita anyway, so it is not a challenge or a chore to drink one of their beers. TheChauffeur1 and I actually stopped in at their beer bar headed north and west leaving Nawlins and I had the totally memorable Oysters Abitafeller for lunch. I would like to dedicate this review to all of my Bulldog homies (Jeremy, Adem, Jackie and The Beer Buddha, who I kept missing on my last visit).

From the bottle: "A Christmas gift should be special. Selected especially for you. A great deal of money need not be spent., but a considerable amount of thought should be expended. So, with you in mind, each year at the Abita Brewery we craft a very special Christmas Ale. Every year the recipe changes. Abita Christmas Ale is a perfect gift. It's always the right color and fits nicely in your hand. ... we hope it's just what you wanted."

My aggro pour left me facing a rocky finger-and-a-half of mocha-tan head with medium retention. Color was a deep brownish-red with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Nose had the cocoa-biscuitiness of the style. Yum! if you have ever had a chocolate biscotti, you will understand. Mouthfeel was medium and the chocolate malt just jumped out on the the tongue, but with a noticeable hop bitterness underlying the overall sweetness. Finish was more bitter than sweet and seemed to put it out of balance on the whole. I have had better beers from Abita and I would steer you to one of those and away from this one.

woodychandler, Feb 06, 2011

AWS2111, Jan 06, 2012

JimmytheSaintPSU, Dec 15, 2011

thisladyluck, Dec 31, 2011

noperative, Jul 17, 2014

jenray, Nov 20, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Dark red-brown with light khaki head.
S: Sweet bread, cocoa powder, roasted malt. Just light over all to me, though.
T: Sweet malt, light hops... more sweet malt.
M: Thin, light on the palate, nice carbonation, a little watery.
D: Not bad, just too one dimensional, and I don't like that dimension enough to want this again I think. Still not bad though.

deadliest, Feb 14, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Damian74Shensky, Dec 07, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

spycow, Nov 09, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a clear reddish brown, with a creamy tan head. Smells of freshly split tree nuts, and a bit of darkly toasted bread. Taste is plums up front, with a bunch of dark caramel following. After that its a dry earthy hop finish. A bit watery IMO. Mouthfeel is good, low carbonation. Drinkability is good. A bit hoppier than your average brown ale, though the body on this is very dry, surprisingly so for a Brown ale.

tronester, Jan 25, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

12 ounce bottle, twist off cap, label is all christmas colors, unlike the one show above...just sayin...pours pretty typical looking for for a brown, slightly hazed under next to no head. The highlight here might be the nose, which is fairly robust with notes of dark and nicely roasty malts.

Tastewise things get fairly thin, with just a hint and a half of more dark maltyness, with a metallic note tossed in to boot.

Not much of a finish...not much of a effort here for what supposed to be a festive "Christmas beer"...

Billolick, Jan 27, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours reddish brown in color when held up to the light....and I must say, It looks a little watery. One finger off-white head following a medium aggressive pour. Head has settled to a thin lace (consisting of plenty of big bubbles) rather quickly.

Smells of mild hops and sweet malts as well as something else that I just can't seem to pin point (and I'm not sure that I like it).

Taste is hoppy up front and then is get kind of thin and watered down towards the middle.

Thin mouthfeel with low carbonation.

I could drink several, but I'm not sure I'd want to.

Morey's Bottom Line: Not that I expect a lot from Abita or anything...but this is slightly disappointing. Too thin and water for a winter release of any kind. Easy drinking for someone who isn't into craft beer.

Morey, Dec 25, 2010
Christmas Ale 2010 from Abita Brewing Co.