Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
Reviews: 747 | Hads: 2,968

I don't have much experience with other fruit beers so I have no basis for comparison.

Being a fan of the Abita brand, and looking for something refreshing during our current heatwave, I opted for this raspberry beer. Upon opening the beer I was impressed by the raspberry aroma. It wasn't overpowering, just enough to let you know it was there.

My next impression was the taste. Since I drank the first one on the way home from the beer shop (I know, I know), I didn't get to look at it first. With the temperature hovering at about 107, in a car with poor air conditioning and windows that are stuck about 3 inches down, I found this to be the most refreshing drink of anything I had ever had. I am a fan of wheat beers, and this did not disappoint. The raspberry flavor was perfect, not too much, not look weak. The tartness added to a crisp mouthfeel that made it the perfect summertime beer.

Once I got home, I poured one in a glass, and was immediately taken by the color. The pale yellow tinged with a "purple haze" was truly unique. The head was on the thin side, but no beer is perfect. (1,099 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +49.5%

The beer looks very interesting. I couldn't wait to try this beer.

The smell gives off a faint scent of Raspberry.

The taste is incredible. It's not too strong of a beer, and starts with a taste of Raspberry. Then the hops balances it nicely finishing with a faint aftertaste of Raspberry that isn't too sugary.

The body of the beer isn't too heavy. If I had to put it somewhere I would say it was leaning more towards a lighter body beer.

Overall I recommend this beer to anyone looking for something different. Most people I have asked say they don't like this beer, but I just tell them they're crazy because I honestly think this is the best beer I've stumbled upon for some time now. (693 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +49.2%

I know this seem bias me rating it as high as I did however, this was an excellent beer to me. It had JUST the right ammount of bitternes and flavor. I don't do very strong beers and thats why I liked this one. It was the perfect balance. I have had it both in bottle and on tap. The best part about the bottle is the actual raspberries floating in t. (351 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%

Not a great head, but an exceptional beer. Goes well with any cajun food and is GREAT on tap. It is a raspberry beer, so don't expect anything traditional. But it is a bit stronger than an average beer and has a great taste. It is not incredibly complex, but as far as raspberry beers, it is the best. But then again, I am from LA, but I would say it goes best w/ crawfish etouffee. Solid w/ LSU football. Order it at the CHIMES in Baton Rouge and relax. Very sentimental beer for me, considering I got my first one when I could drink LEGALLY AT 18. (549 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +45.1%

Doing my part to help bring LA back on it's feet after Katrina...

Interesting pink-ish gold with a very light pink off-white head, lots of suspended sediment, and decent carbonation. Nice fresh raspberry fruit aroma with a touch of wheat underneath. Light tart raspberry flavor (not extract-like at all) with a soft wheat malt character. A little more fruit flavor than the aroma would indicate. Light, crisp, and refreshing.

A very nice fruit beer with no fruit extract characteristics... one of the better fruit beers made in America.

Per Label: "Malt Beverage with Raspberry Added" & "American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration" & "Lager"

Best Before: 12/12 (notched on label); '05' embossed on bottom
Tasted: 09/17/05

($ / 6-pack) (777 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh Purple Hazer how I miss you do. I first had this beer in New Orleans and fell it love with it immediately. I've been searching for it here and there ever since. I found it at the New York New York Hotel in Vegas and once in a while at Cost Plus.

It's very fruity and smooth. It's yummy to drink and leaves you wanting more and more and more (344 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +42%

The best fruit beer I have had....

Color was gold with a slight purple tint

Smell was a very wheat beer smell

Taste was great, huge burst of raspberry flavor up front with a nice wheat beer back end, but overall an amazing berry taste

A very flavorful and drinkable beer (274 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +41.7%

A - Cloudy.. no wait HAZY (ha..ha..) purple color. Small head but with tons of lacing.

S - This beer is listed as a raspberry wheat beer, so huge shocker here that it reeks of raspberries. With first smell, it's raspberries. On second smell, it's raspberries. Need I continue? There's a bit of malt and wheat somewhere hidden in between the raspberry sandwich.

T - Based on the smell I was thinking it would be an overwhelming raspberry taste similar to how Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is when it comes to the cherry taste. Surprisingly, the front of the beer is sweet and malty. But.. shortly after that it gives way to a raspberry taste that absolutely dominates your palate. It's a pleasant raspberry taste though that fulls up your mouth and lingers on your tongue in the aftertaste.

M - Light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Despite the raspberry aftertaste, it's actually a smooth finish.

D - It's a very drinkable beer. If my girlfriend who hates beer thought that, "it's not bad" that should tell you a thing or two. It goes down very easy and it's definitely a beer I would like to have, and enjoy again. (1,120 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, hazy, golden color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Fruity!! Tons of raspberries in the nose, followed by some subtle malt and wheat, giving off some cereal-like notes. I also get some honey-like sweetness and some very subtle hops.

Taste: Wow!! Tons of raspberries and honey, but not at all overly sweet or cloying. Perfectly balanced with some wheat, malt and hops. This is a delicious raspberry beer!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 4.2%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a very, very, good raspberry ale! Great balance between the fruit, some honey-like sweetness, wheat, malt and slightly bitter hops. Delicious! I’m certainly getting a few of these again this coming summer! (1,028 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

This was the first Abita beer I've had and it's still my first love. Sweet, refreshing, and just an all-around tasty brew. It's great out of the bottle but outstanding on tap! (175 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not remotely close to a traditional German Hefeweizen by any means, but great fruity aroma and flavor makes Purple Haze an excellent wheat beer none the less. (158 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm actually pretty embarrassed to admit how much I like Purple Haze.
I understand how many people don't or wouldn't like this beer at all- but it's a good beer for some drinkers.

If you're a beer purist this may or may not be the drink for you; it really doesn't drink like a beer so much as a raspberry-sodapop-wine-beer combination. From the bottle, it's all right- drinkable, pretty good. It smells like raspberries but the taste is disappointing to what you'd expect. Out of curiosity I poured it into a goblet and the raspberry flavors opened up quickly. I probably wouldn't drink it straight from the bottle again. But it's the most wine-like beer I've ever had and that quality is REALLY going to divide people.

Appearance is a pinkish-purpleish-peachish hint. It's a pretty cool shade. It's in an attractive bottle with an attractive purple label. About a one-finger head that disappeared very quickly, as others have noted.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, fizzy. It's pretty refreshing. It's lighter than most beers I drink. I typically much prefer darker, spicier brews. But for this one I make an exception.

Fruit flavors are raspberry (obviously) with lemon zest. It's lightly grainy with little bitterness. Think of it like this- the beer is basically a vehicle for the raspberry. Probably wouldn't drink the beer on its own without it but they do complement each other well.

I only tried this because of my love of Abita, and raspberries. I didn't expect very much when I tried it and was really surprised by how much I like it. In reality, just think about your other preferences. If you don't like fruit beers, raspberries, or the like, you probably wouldn't like this. If you're like me and a raspberry fiend, and like beer, you'd enjoy it. (1,763 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +39.5%

ABV: 4.75%

The first time I had this beer was about a year ago in Gainsville, Florida.
It was amazing. I had tasted nothing better.
A couple months later I had it back home (Baltimore, Maryland) and it was great but definitely no where close to the first time. I guess the distance from the brewery really had an effect on the beer, which is several hundred miles.

Tastes like beer with raspberries.
Not overpowering.
Smooth.
Fresh. (434 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +39.2%

Presentation: Poured into mug

Appearance: Pours a dark golden colour, white head with good lacing

Smell: Strong tart raspberries

Taste: Strong tart raspberries, some malts

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp

Drinkability: Could drink these all day

Overall: not a bad fruit beer, though pales in comparison to Lindemans Framboise (322 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +37.9%

Poured from bottle into tulip.

A: Hazy, purplish/whit/yellow color with a white head. Decent formation, heavy lacing.

S: Berry, berry and, I think, berry.

T: Surprisingly, there is a sweet, wheat malt taste on the front of this beer. But make no mistake, the wonderful blast of berries that your nose told you to expect is well on the way. Raspberries abound on the tongue and in the aftertaste.

M: Very light and round. Plenty of carbonation. A bit of an over-dry finish.

D: This is one of the easiest drinking beers I have ever had.

I have been converted! One of the things that I have always thought is that fruit and beer fight, rather than complement, each other. This beer has proven to me that exactly the opposite can be true. (741 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +37%

I really like this beer.

Purple Haze is nothing too special, but for what it is, this is an exeptional beer. It is perfect drinking when you want a beer with a fruit flavor, but nothing overpowering.

The rasberry flavor is not strong, but it is ever present in the background.

I got hooked on this when I lived in New Orleans. Friends that I have recommended this to have also become hooked, even non-beer lovers. Girls love it, but it is not a girly beer.

Give it a shot. (484 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +37%

The color of grapefruit and the taste of raspberries. This beer is fruity, but not to the point of overwhelming the other ingredients. Other than the color, I didn't notice the pulpiness. The hops are only slightly bitter, which is good for this beer. Not too bad for a fruit beer. (285 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of my absolute favorite session beers. Light malt, slightly sweet with a hint of fruit, balanced flavor, great on a hot summer day or with almost any meal. (160 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was very surprised with this one! Usually I don't go for flavored beers because they tend to be very sugary. However, this one seems to have that perfect balance! Its amber colored with a white foamy head and looks great. My first smell I assumed it was going to be very sugary because it seemed very sweet and had light raspberry tones. Luckily I was proven wrong! Its light to medium bodied and has a great fruity feel finishing with strong notes of malts and wheat. Its well balanced and layered wonderfully! (513 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +33.9%

ABITA PURPLE HAZE

This is my first review on here, so I'm giving it a shot.

Appearance: This one had an orangey color to it, which, despite its opacity (a quality I rather enjoy, actually), gave it a summery appearance, inviting me to taste.

Smell: Light, sweet, wheaty, raspberry undertones.

Taste: Definite taste of raspberry, but not overwhelming; balanced out by the light, wheat taste that followed. Not sweet, but not bitter like raspberries. The aftertaste left the want for more raspberry flavor which, upon tasting, invited the desire for wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: Light and thin, but not lacking in body. Carbonated to my liking.

Drinkability: I first sampled this beer and tried it later on based on the sample. It was very easy to drink as it was not too heavy and had a good flavor. Then again, this kind of beer is right up my alley. (856 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My husband bought me this and I was like UHHHH Thanks I guess grape beer! Well he told me it was raspberry which I love and was still thinking gross sweet syrupy. Nope I was wrong. It was a light raspberry taste, great for summer. Very drinkable. Drank a bunch and now I need more! (281 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +33.2%

A: Pours a straw yellow with a faint but discernible tinge of maroon. There is initially a half finger head, however, it dies down into a thin sheen of foam; minimal lacing.

S: Smells like fresh raspberries with wheat; however, nothing funky.

T: Another well done fruit beer. There are two components to the taste. The first is the solid wheat backing. The wheat is refreshing and light bodied. The second component of the taste is the raspberry. This component doesn't compete with the first but instead compliments it and creates a solid complexity. The raspberry is not artificial tasting but fresh.

M: Light bodied, smooth, and clean.

O: The best fruit beer I have had hands down and at a price that can't be beat. (722 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +32.3%

A light, very drinkable but flavorful beer. Nose is raspberries with some biscuity malt. Very clean lager taste, w the raspberries offering a not-at-all overpowering tartness; faint bit of spiciness from the hops. The beer is a little sweet, balanced mostly by the raspberry tartness. For what it is - a relatively light American lager - I can't think of many other beers I'd prefer to drink when that's what I'm looking for. It's real raspberries, not some nasty flavoring, and it's executed extremely well. If it weren't for the price, I'd buy this a lot more often as a solid session beer (591 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +30.7%

Served at just above fridge temperature in a pint glass at Firewaters in Hackensack, NJ.

A: Murky, gold color with a wheat beer haze and a rosy pink cast. The head diminishes almost instantly and the lacing isn't very good. Those two points aside, it's a fairly good looking beer.

S: Light, sweet raspberries. That's about it. Not raspberries as in "sticking your nose into a pint of fresh picked" ones, but rather a light raspberry syrup or concentrate. Not overpowering - which is good for a fruit beer (since many of its peers tend to be over the top fruity). No characteristic wheat beer notes to be found here, but this isn't categorized as a wheat beer (although it is).

T: Refreshing and crisp. The raspberry taste is more of a wispy undertone rather than an in-your-face flavor (which is a very good thing). The organic, natural tasting wheatiness comes through in the middle and finish, adding to it's delicious, light-drinking character.

M: The mouthfeel is active without being fizzy; rolling like sea-foam and smooth. Nice!

D: For the summer, this beer is a simple and smooth drinker. Refreshing and crisp in the taste, and well represented in the mouthfeel. One of the better fruit beers on the market. (1,231 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +30.4%

Abita Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with fresh raspberries added during secondary fermentation. Subtle coloration, fruity aroma and tartly sweet taste. Some may not care for unfiltered beers, but most would enjoy this anyway as it is still crisp and cleansing. (280 characters)

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.