Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros

1.05/5  rDev -67.7%

11/02/04- Purchased in a drive through liquor store in Tempe, AZ

*reviewed from notes

Appearance- Pours with zero head and zero lacing. I semi-opaque reddish color.

Smell- Shit, I think I got a skunkified batch. (tried again later that year), shit, it still smells pretty much the same. Had a strong skunky wheat smell. Kind of like the Pyramid beers smell like to me, but much worse.

Taste- Damn awful. Either this is skunky or it's not far from being one of the worst beers ever. Maltish-wheat flavor. Very tart and pungent taste. Bad taste that is. Kinda like a raspberry fermentation experiment gone wrong. Drastically wrong.

Mouthfeel- Tons of carbonation. Like a cheap ass raspberry soda with chunk of god knows what swirling around in my mouth. This beer had me wanting to gag. All three of us had it and all of us thought the same thing. My buddy was the only "man" who could finish the whole bottle.

Drinkability- Nope. Stay away. It's unlikely we got two bad batches over a year apart. My number two worst beer. I don't think it will be suplanted any time soon.

1.08/5  rDev -66.8%

Let me start out saying this. I've been on beeradvocate for close to 4 years and i've never felt obligated to review a beer. However, this thing they call a beer so disturbed my taste buds i couldn't help it. My girlfriend who will put down bluepaw and milk stout all day said she couldnt even smell it. It tastes like moldy rainwater at best. I would rather have to snort milwakees best.

1.15/5  rDev -64.6%

Pours a orange pink haze with a white cap that was gone fast. Faint bouquet with wheat, fruity esters, and malty sweetness. Faint raspberry. Flavor was a musty biscuit with a sour citrus and very light raspberry notes. Very fake sweetness flavor that just gave it a very bland empty feeling in the mouth. Watery with med-light carbonation. Finished with a dull dry feeling. I hope I don't have to go through this again.

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.