Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
Reviews: 746 | Hads: 2,964
1.06/5  rDev -66.8%

11/02/04- Purchased in a drive through liquor store in Tempe, AZ

*reviewed from notes

Appearance- Pours with zero head and zero lacing. I semi-opaque reddish color.

Smell- Shit, I think I got a skunkified batch. (tried again later that year), shit, it still smells pretty much the same. Had a strong skunky wheat smell. Kind of like the Pyramid beers smell like to me, but much worse.

Taste- Damn awful. Either this is skunky or it's not far from being one of the worst beers ever. Maltish-wheat flavor. Very tart and pungent taste. Bad taste that is. Kinda like a raspberry fermentation experiment gone wrong. Drastically wrong.

Mouthfeel- Tons of carbonation. Like a cheap ass raspberry soda with chunk of god knows what swirling around in my mouth. This beer had me wanting to gag. All three of us had it and all of us thought the same thing. My buddy was the only "man" who could finish the whole bottle.

Drinkability- Nope. Stay away. It's unlikely we got two bad batches over a year apart. My number two worst beer. I don't think it will be suplanted any time soon. (1,090 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -65.8%

Let me start out saying this. I've been on beeradvocate for close to 4 years and i've never felt obligated to review a beer. However, this thing they call a beer so disturbed my taste buds i couldn't help it. My girlfriend who will put down bluepaw and milk stout all day said she couldnt even smell it. It tastes like moldy rainwater at best. I would rather have to snort milwakees best. (388 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -63%

Pours a orange pink haze with a white cap that was gone fast. Faint bouquet with wheat, fruity esters, and malty sweetness. Faint raspberry. Flavor was a musty biscuit with a sour citrus and very light raspberry notes. Very fake sweetness flavor that just gave it a very bland empty feeling in the mouth. Watery with med-light carbonation. Finished with a dull dry feeling. I hope I don't have to go through this again. (419 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -61.8%

Appearance: hazy, dark orange yellow, no head, no carb

Smell: wheat, some berry--no really raspberry, but berry--some chemical smell

Taste: very wheaty-- funky lingering chemical raspberry is present at the end

Mouthfeel: very smooth, very light, some sweetness at the very end

Drinkability: If this was a wheat wheat, I may give it higher marks, but the raspberry is very faint...There are way better fruit beers...This was really disappointing..I really do not like the finish and will be passing on this one (514 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -60.5%

Part of Old Chicago's American beer mini-tour.

Arrived with a half-inch of head over a weird pasty-yellowish-white body. There was very little smell. Taste is awful. Unsweetened watermelon Koolaid or something not drinkable comes to mind, I tried but left half the glass on the table. I remember nothing about the mouthfeel.

It was obvious it was some attempt at a sort of fruit beer, but I had no idea this was supposed to be a wheat-raspberry fruit beer until I read through a few these Purple Haze reviews just now. (520 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -59.2%

Hazy gold appearance with a slight rasberry aroma. Very thin in body with a dry finish. I really thought this beer was horrible, maybe I got a bad batch but certainly would not pay money again for this. (202 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -58%

S: The scents smell like hints of peroxide, very offputting. Just not good at all. T

T: Taste just like it smells and thats all there is to say about it

M: None whatsoever, went down like water leaving much to be desired.

OVERALL: Just awful. The same goes for all beers made by abita to me. I've had three types made by Abita, and all got the 2.00 rating.

Serving type: tap (378 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -56.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date on back label. Had a light grapefruit color with a small bubbly head that quickly went away. The smell was awful. It had the standard Abita skunk base with a sickly fruity smell on top of it. The taste was even worse. Really don't see the appeal or reason for this "beer". There are several fruit beers that I love but this ain't close to being one of em. (1.5, NA, ML, N) (418 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -55.8%

A: Cloudy light brown, with sediments floating around. Forms a decent 1 finger head that dissipates very quickly.
S: Grassy, grainy, artificial raspberry smell. Honestly, it smells weird, in a bad way.
T: Wheat with a very weird raspberry taste.
M: Light bodied with very light carbonation.
D: I know I've mentioned it a couple times already, but the taste is weird! It's definitely not my cup of beer in any shape or form. (424 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -54.9%

(review from August 9, 2008, bottle)

From a 12 oz. bottle
D- / 1.8
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | drink: 1
rDev: -65.6%

A. Poured semi hazy into a pint glass. A bit of head and some lacing. Not bad looking.

S. Synthetic raspberry extract. Some wheat. Not appetizing.

T. Awful. Bitter raspberry actually more like Shitberry.

M. Left mouth dry. Real dry.

D. One was more than enough.

Reviewed on: 07-09-2008 01:24:28

Also, recently had the "honor" of trying this beer again on tap.

Still sucks.

If you really must have a raspberry brew try Celis Raspberry or a Raspberry lambic. (622 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -53.6%

Pours out a hazy mix between an orange and a pink. Tiny, thin bubbles make for a very brief head. Smells like 99% of Abita beers I've had: grainy, and overly sweet, almost like a malt liquor sans the high abv. Taste starts of with a sharp wheat twang, but things go downhill soon after. I know it says they use raspberry puree in this, but, really, it tastes so fake. Like raspberry Kool-Aid thrown in the mix (i.e., it's as if a kid made it). Leaves a nauseating grainy macro lager finish mixed with Sweet'N Low. Mouthfeel is flat and almost syrupy. It's very difficult finidng any inspiration to drink this.

I've never been impressed with any Abita beer, save the Restoration Ale, but this is the worst offering from them I have ever tasted. Seriously, what the fuck? (772 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -53.6%

This sounded so good after braving the sweltering heat of Hephaestus's forge (aka, the Stone sourfest).

Sadly, this is a piteous, mewling wreck of a beer.

Pours a very, very pale yellow with a white sudsy foam head. Mmm... can't wait to smell that raspberry ... chemical ... stuff, that they shoved into this. No wheat in nose, but tons of awfully fake smelling fruit.

Flavor is undrinkably bad. This is wretched. Sickly, chemically sweet raspberry, what feels like kool aid dumped in here, little to no wheat (I though there'd be a pucker).

What was I thinking. Drain pour. (579 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -51.1%

A: Hazy straw colored with a spritzy head. Minimal amounts of lacing.

S: Slight tartness from the raspberries, but it is fake and uninspired.

T: Remarkably similar to store brand raspberry seltzer water. The finish is extremely dry, leaving only a chemical astringency.

M: Extremely thin.

D: Avoid. (302 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -51.1%

Poured into a glass with a pinkish tint, very cloudy (hazy I suppose) but not due to any identifiable yeast. The head is thin with very mild carbonation. Smell is faint, fruity, obvious raspberry. The mouthfeel is horrible, very thin, I wanted it out of my mouth right when it touched my tongue. The taste is fruity but mostly overpowering malty flavor, very little hops. Almost tasted like stale fruity macrobeer. Didn't like it. No sir, not one bit. (451 characters)

Feb 6, 2009
cloudy orange. 2 finger head. smells like malt liquor, like a 40 oz. taste, the same except with raspberry syrup added. has an unpleasant twang. i believe i will pass on this one in the future. i dont believe i would even take one for free. well not if there was any other option available that is. (311 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -50.2%

Watered down malt and wheat taste though very pungent. Nasty skunky aftertaste. Mouthfeel was overcarbonated. Wasn't a drinkable beer. I had trouble drinking the entire bottle. It had a value macro-lager rather than a flovored wheat beer taste to it. (250 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I honestly do not see the appeal behind this beer. I know some people love it by I just don't get it.

Appearance: Cloudy

Smell: Smells like mulch and old newspapers

Taste: Tastes like mulch and old newspapers. I hear that it is supposed to taste like raspberries, but I guess they forgot to put those in the bottle I had

Drinkability: Since I don't really enjoy drinking mulch...

Thoroughly unimpressed with this beer. In all honesty, this beer tastes like newspaper which I have tasted before so trust me on that. (529 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

honestly this beer smelled horrible. like somebody got sick. had two already and both were the same so it wasn't just an off beer. it pours a pale lavender color almost no head. taste is fruit and berries at first then malt and clove and that artificial banana type flavor you get in some wheats, which I like, but the combination of that with the berries makes it almost undrinkable for me. I'll finish the six but will never think about buying this again. (457 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -48.3%

poured a light hazy pinkish color with a one finger white head and some lacing. weak raspberry smell. no wheat malt, weak raspberry taste, watery mouthfeel with little carbonation. it was like drinking a watered down fruit juice. definitely skip this one if your looking for a raspberry wheat beer. (298 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -46.7%

A weird pinkish color makes me seriously wonder if I'm drinking grapefruit juice. I understand this is a "raspberry wheat beer" but this just looks like something a kid threw together. Not much to smell here, but maybe that's the bar atmosphere (not that I'm complaining, I love the Flying Saucer). The taste was similar to the smell, just nothing there. I could get a very slight yeasty front followed up and finished with a very tart sweetness that pains the stomach. The mouthfeel was very thin which made this easy to drink, but doesn't make it very drinkable. The fire sale has screwed me again. (600 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -46.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Looked like a typical wheat beer, but it had a strange pink tint to it. Looked a little creepy to be honest. Had a weak, quickly disappearing head.

S: Malt and some raspberry. Very weak.

T: Tastes almost like someone mixed 1/4 wheat beer, 1/4 raspberry malt beverage, and 1/2 water. Extremely disappointing.

M: Little carbonation. Very watery.

D: I suppose I could've rated it higher for this category. The taste is so weak, it couldn't possibly offend you. But why would anyone want to drink something like this?

Ordered at a favorite local restaurant - dining outside on a hot, humid evening. Was looking for something light and refreshing. I felt a little cheated with this one. Tastes like a malt beverage pretending to be a craft beer. Avoid! (802 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -45.8%

Was suprised by this beer. Or should I say, lack of this beer. Took a whiff after I opened the bottle, was expecting to smell something of raspberries, but all I could smell was straw. The taste was bland, and the carbonation minimal. Not a very good wheat brew, much less a wheat brew with fruit flavor. Not worth having again. (328 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

White fluffy two fingers head. Clear yellow with a bit of a darker tint.

Smell is a bit off-putting, it’s got a lager smell but a bit wacky. Don’t know how to describe it.

Taste is like a spoiled lager. Slightly tart, watery.

It’s just a disappointment. Yuck. (271 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -44.8%

Is this really beer? Jesus christ. This poured a weird orange/pink lemonade color. Dirty hazy scum piss water with a white fizzy head. The smell is of skunked beer. Thats all. Like if you leave a few drops of beer in the bottle overnight and smell it the next day that is what this smells like. Shit. The taste is weak wheat with a hint of ass raspberry. Moderate mouthfeel. Not very drinkable. I truely do not understand the purpose of this beer, i am kind of hoping this is a messed up batch. To quote GCLARKAGE "Like a cheap ass raspberry soda with chunk of god knows what swirling around in my mouth. "
I can't say it any better than that.

I can't believe i wasted 15 bucks on their party pack. So far full of dissapointments. And halfway through last nights i ended up with a migrane. I blame it on the brew. (817 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -44.2%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a purple/pinkish tint to it. White head that had no retention and lace. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the purple/pink color.

S- Very sweet and raspberries.

T- Taste was pure raspberry and a little tiny bland wheat finish. Maybe like watered down raspberry ice tea.

M- Light and watery.

D- I have no idea why I revisited this one. I'll pass on this one. Seems like more of a wine cooler than a beer. (449 characters)

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.