1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros

MyTBeerDrinker, Dec 29, 2011

JeffONeal, Aug 15, 2014
1.05/5  rDev -67.7%

11/02/04- Purchased in a drive through liquor store in Tempe, AZ

*reviewed from notes

Appearance- Pours with zero head and zero lacing. I semi-opaque reddish color.

Smell- Shit, I think I got a skunkified batch. (tried again later that year), shit, it still smells pretty much the same. Had a strong skunky wheat smell. Kind of like the Pyramid beers smell like to me, but much worse.

Taste- Damn awful. Either this is skunky or it's not far from being one of the worst beers ever. Maltish-wheat flavor. Very tart and pungent taste. Bad taste that is. Kinda like a raspberry fermentation experiment gone wrong. Drastically wrong.

Mouthfeel- Tons of carbonation. Like a cheap ass raspberry soda with chunk of god knows what swirling around in my mouth. This beer had me wanting to gag. All three of us had it and all of us thought the same thing. My buddy was the only "man" who could finish the whole bottle.

Drinkability- Nope. Stay away. It's unlikely we got two bad batches over a year apart. My number two worst beer. I don't think it will be suplanted any time soon.

GClarkage, Nov 03, 2004
1.08/5  rDev -66.8%

Let me start out saying this. I've been on beeradvocate for close to 4 years and i've never felt obligated to review a beer. However, this thing they call a beer so disturbed my taste buds i couldn't help it. My girlfriend who will put down bluepaw and milk stout all day said she couldnt even smell it. It tastes like moldy rainwater at best. I would rather have to snort milwakees best.

travisdiener32, Jul 03, 2012
1.15/5  rDev -64.6%

Pours a orange pink haze with a white cap that was gone fast. Faint bouquet with wheat, fruity esters, and malty sweetness. Faint raspberry. Flavor was a musty biscuit with a sour citrus and very light raspberry notes. Very fake sweetness flavor that just gave it a very bland empty feeling in the mouth. Watery with med-light carbonation. Finished with a dull dry feeling. I hope I don't have to go through this again.

jabocu, Mar 29, 2006
1.2/5  rDev -63.1%

Appearance: hazy, dark orange yellow, no head, no carb

Smell: wheat, some berry--no really raspberry, but berry--some chemical smell

Taste: very wheaty-- funky lingering chemical raspberry is present at the end

Mouthfeel: very smooth, very light, some sweetness at the very end

Drinkability: If this was a wheat wheat, I may give it higher marks, but the raspberry is very faint...There are way better fruit beers...This was really disappointing..I really do not like the finish and will be passing on this one

tigg924, Jan 23, 2009
1.23/5  rDev -62.2%

Part of Old Chicago's American beer mini-tour.

Arrived with a half-inch of head over a weird pasty-yellowish-white body. There was very little smell. Taste is awful. Unsweetened watermelon Koolaid or something not drinkable comes to mind, I tried but left half the glass on the table. I remember nothing about the mouthfeel.

It was obvious it was some attempt at a sort of fruit beer, but I had no idea this was supposed to be a wheat-raspberry fruit beer until I read through a few these Purple Haze reviews just now.

JackieTH, Jul 09, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -61.5%

Hazy gold appearance with a slight rasberry aroma. Very thin in body with a dry finish. I really thought this beer was horrible, maybe I got a bad batch but certainly would not pay money again for this.

Reverand, Oct 26, 2002
1.25/5  rDev -61.5%

TheResidentialOP, May 30, 2012
Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.