Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Purple Haze | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Added by kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Reviews: 771 | Ratings: 3,142
2.5/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overall: Meh...underwhelming across the board. Not much in the way of glass
presentation and smell. Has a bit of a purple tint, without anything discernible
in terms of head or lacing. Slight note of berry in the nose. Underlying tasting
note is tart. Mouthfeel now descript. Not really my cup of tea.

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on draft during the summer. Honestly, the only flavor(s) that stands out is raspberry. It is pretty tasty and I enjoyed it, but it isn't my absolute favorite fruit beer. I would have it again, but I could see myself getting burned out on it quickly.

After having a good experience with Abita Turbo Dog, I tried this one. Unfortunately, I bought a 6-pack of it. It was bad enough having to finish one of these, but having to finish 6 of them was punishment. Beer should taste like BEER. I am definitely NOT a fan of these flavored beers.

3.34/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer is light orange with a purple tint. There is a small lacy head. It smells strongly of raspberries. The taste is bluntly sweet and tastes lightly of raspberries. More sweet than berry tasted actually. There is not an aftertaste. There is a sharp beery taste that strikes the tongue at peak ingestion. The mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly creamy. Overal,, a good beer, especially if you like raspberry.

3.95/5  rDev +23.8%

On tap, Hawkeyes on Taylor.
Slight sweetness and a bit of a banana aftertaste. Having not researched it at all,the raspberry taste wasn't immediately distinguishable. I didn't see much purple, but it's a bar so..
Very easy to drink. Ended up having 3 back to back in less than an hour.
Would absolutely recommend.

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had been avoiding this variety for a while, because I thought that it might be really sweet and grape-like. I was wrong. It has 4.2% ABV and 13 IBUs.

Look-The head is silky smooth almost nitro and is one finger thick. It has good retention and is nicely fluffy and is very white…likely due to the yeast. The lacing is wet, drooping, and frothy. The beer itself is quite hazy with a deep yellow or a light amber orange. I don’t know the SRM off hand.

Smell-It smells mostly of yeast and malts and with an almost imperceptible underlying hop component.

Taste-The malts are very grainy and have an almost hay-like flavor. This malt backbone overwhelms the raspberry and any tiny bit of hops that were used…although this makes sense considering it has only 13 IBUs. The mouthfeel is light-bodied and crisp and smooth.

Overall-It isn’t sweet like I thought it would be and the raspberry and grape are barely noticeable to me. It is much better than I thought, but isn’t the greatest beer I’ve ever had.

3.04/5  rDev -4.7%

It's not purple, it's a golden orange, but you do see the haze. Smells sweet, and not as much raspberry as expected. The rasberry flavor is there, but I smell and taste banana over everything. Not a bad beer, and doesn't taste like anything else that I've tasted, but nothing to get excited about.

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I like this beer more than most people - I like how hazy and tingly it is. The smell is fruity and the taste seems like they took a lager and added synthetic seasoning, but to me it works. This beer tastes like a weird Japanese dance club in the 80s. It's odd and tart and memorable.

3.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours with an eggshell white frothy head that quickly dissipates. Looks golden with a bit of haze to it and lots of streaming champagne like bubbles.

Smell is like a raspberry with the sweet and tart smells.

And the taste is like a raspberry with that same sweet and tart taste. The sweet is not overly strong and neither is the tartness, but it is in there.

Feel is fizzy, watery and refreshing with a crisp snap to the finish.

Overall I see this as a nice refreshing summer beer for those hot days. At 4.2 ABV this one drinks real easy but I think the tartness might set me back to only having a few before calling it quits.

3.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Abita Purple Haze.

Ahh finally back from a small bottle share in which I got to try some new styles of beer. Be live it puts me right at 100 different styles had by now. Anyway, this is a left over from a few nights ago on a budget. Only had one beer out of Abita and it was pretty meh, so I don't have high expectations here. Let's do it.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a dimpled pint glass. Beer pours a deep orange hue with touches of copper and a nice finger and a half of thick, densely packed head that dies down to a thick cap of froth amongst the top of the swill. Carbonation also appears to be about medium. A rather good looking beer thus far. Leaves a fair bit of lacing and stick.

Smell - The raspberry is quite a bit weaker than I was initially expecting. Lots of grains with an almost malt liquor like essence ( think Colt 45 ) with some artificial raspberry tossed into the mix. Minus the alcohol scents. Doesn't smell bad by any means, just not quite what I was expecting.

Taste - Very light flavor profile although the raspberry does turn up a bit here but not by much. The sweetness is quite prevelant and it still retains that malt liquor essence mentioned in the nose. Grains are indistinguishable and the sweetness is almost syrup like.

Feel - The body itself is rather light though there is a high creamy factor due to the fanatic retention of the frothy cap. Flavors take on more of a corn flake nature as it sits around the mouth. Carbonation is rather mild. Swallows easy with just a touch of tartness.

Overall - It isn't all that shabby. Not as flavorful as I was expecting. More of a BMC style beer with a touch of raspberry added to it. Easily quaffable and inexpensive. Wouldn't buy it again buy would have no problem drinking this. As always, try it out and come to your own conclusions..

4.03/5  rDev +26.3%

I ordered it with a meal on a whim and I enjoyed a lot. I've since had it bottled and on tap now and both were very good. Tap was obviously better and for me at least this one has to be cold to work. Really cold. I brought a six pack home and it had time to lose just a bit of chill and that actually made a difference to me on this one. I went back later and had one that I'd let get truly cold again and it was what I'd originally expected. It's got the beautiful "purple haze" look and it has a very clean smell with just a bit of the raspberry in it. It tastes like a fairly typical wheat beer until the raspberries kick in during the aftertaste which I found kind of sweet and refreshing. I think it's definitely worth giving a try! It's become my go-to beer when available to go along with really spicy foods.

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It has the hazy look to go with the name perfectly. There's not much smell at all. It has an aftertaste of raspberries but it's not an overwhelming flavor which i was afraid of when i bought it, so i was pleasantly surprised.

3.24/5  rDev +1.6%

Nice cloudy haze in a light orangy golden beer. This beer has a nice citrusy and fruity flavor and aroma from the raspberries it is brewed with. Fruit is just right, not too overwhelming. Little head retention, no lacing.

All I can say is if you don't like raspberries, I'd avoid this. It tasted like raspberry juice, if there was such a thing! Was also very "wheat" tasting. Will not try again.

2.97/5  rDev -6.9%

This one is just not very good. It has potential, but I feel like they just threw in some artificial flavoring. It tastes like cough syrup and was just not very enjoyable.

2.29/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Smells like Eggs? A little weird. Small headCreamy head. Rasberry, Blackbarry. WheatxSlowly Settling in to the beer, getting better, but not great.

1.53/5  rDev -52%

Abita purple haze , good amount of smoke after popping the top with a slight head. Has a wheat like smell with a raspberry hint. Meadium body easy to drink but very watery over carbonated and just not a very good weak ass raspberry flavor. Maybe some teenage girl might like it and that's a very unlikely might. D-

3.34/5  rDev +4.7%

L - poured into a pint glass, lovely golden brown color with a bit of haze. 1 finger heard that dissipates pretty quickly

S - Maybe a bit of raspberry, but mainly a lot of malt

T - Even less raspberry in the taste, a lot of malt, with just hint of hops and raspberry tartness at the end

F - A lot lighter than I expected when seeing the haze and reading about the puree added at bottling

2.72/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12-oz bottle into craft glass

A - 3 fingers of white foam with a slight tint of pink over a cloudy golden body with a tint of purple and tons of visible carbonation and floating sediment

S - tart berry smell, weak

T - tart raspberry and grain

M - sticky light body, medium carbonation

O - unimpressed

4.3/5  rDev +34.8%

I really enjoyed this beer. I'm hesitant with fruit/vegetable beers because most of them just taste horrible, but I decided to give this one a shot. Turns out I'm extremely glad I did, purple haze is super refreshing. Unlike some other fruit beers I've tasted that are overwhelmingly fruity this one had just a subtle raspberry taste which I enjoyed. Definitely a great beer for the summer that I plan to buy again.

3.84/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Opaque color. Color of grapefruit juice. Pinkish-orange. Not much head or lacing. Stringent acidic smell. Carriers over into flavor of beer. I actually don't get much raspberry. Still some good flavor. Almost a mix odd ringing juice with a wine cooler with a beer.

2.93/5  rDev -8.2%

I'm not a fan of this brew. It's got a nice color, hazy dark wheat ale but it's a bit lacking in overall flavor - I prefer something like Founders Rubaeus here. Not bad, but not one I seek out.

3.32/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Third from my Abita party pack. Pours a "hazy" wheat color into a pint glass with a very thick white head which quickly recedes. Aroma strongly consists of raspberries, also detect a blueberry note althought not advertised. Taste has hints of raspberry, wheat, and very slight hop with little or no malty taste. Not what I'd call a pilsner but nice and fruity. Over all decent but lacking too much of the beer standards in flavor and aroma to surpass that. If you like this try Wild Blue, another fruity beer which does better what thos one tries to.

3.38/5  rDev +6%

Overall not a bad beer, definitely has the raspberry taste, but a slight bitterness after, and has a slight purple tinge to it visually. Definitely a summer beer, as it is very light, almost too light. I would definitely drink it again.

3.35/5  rDev +5%

This American wheat ale has raspberries added to it after it is brewed and filtered. It pours to a fairly brief large white head on a cloudy pale amber body that has purple off-tints. Raspberry dominates a slightly sweet nose; it dominates the palate as well, manifesting as bitter fruit notes that obscure a light wheat backbone. The finish is fairly crisp with a hint of raspberry that fades to a briefly lingering bitter fruit note. Thanks to the raspberry puree, the mouthfeel is bigger than one would expect for a wheat beer. (12 oz bottle, 67 days before best-by date)

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.