2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Ratings: 2,135 | Reviews: 696 | Show All Ratings:
Brenden

3.56/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is sort of a deep golden-orange with a violet hue in the recesses. Off the tap, it develops a creamy cap of about half a finger. It is sturdy, standing strong while depositing a mixture of spotting and patching that's itself very creamy.
A mix of tart, sweet and sour, the raspberry is certainly here. It's underneath a grainy malts base. It's kind of a mix of berries and something like green apple, ultimately.
The raspberry flavor is pretty nice, a fairly gentle sweetness not overdone against the tart notes that come off as more natural, backed by malty grains that aren't too grainy, as they are in the nose. A bit of rind and even a hint of some herb-derived spiciness is rounded out by just a hint of leafy bitterness.
It's crisp up front and doesn't fall off too much at the end, though a little. The body is light but verges on being thin, though it avoids that as well. Smoothness is moderate as a touch of dryness sneaks into the finish.

04-08-2014 19:49:10 | More by Brenden
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.06/5  rDev -5.3%

Sampled at the brewery in the tasting room before a brewery tour today.

Probably one of the better fruit beers that I've had. You can definitely taste the raspberries and it's a cool purple colour. Interesting and worth a try, but I'm not really big on fruit beers so I probably wouldn't go out of my way for one again.

03-28-2014 01:54:54 | More by Noxious26
sprucetip

Alaska

2.18/5  rDev -32.5%

I did not like this beer. Was at a New Years Eve concert and the selection was not very good. I think I accidentally was thinking it was Hazed and Infused (not wild about it either). I have been disappointed by Purple Haze before, but this one really disappointed me.

It looked okay. A bit of white head on top of an orange-ish liquid. The plastic cup didn't help, but I don't particularly give a shit about the appearance.

It smelled kind of grainy, but little to anything else. Maybe a hint of citrus. Just blah.

It tasted worse than it smelled. There was some sort of fruity flavor, but it didn't strike me as from hops. There was a wee nip of malty flavor and sweetness, but not much. Whatever, it was borderline gross.

Really thin and watery.

I made a really bad choice ordering this beer. It was the only non BMC tap. Later I saw some bottles that would have been better. Unfortunate that it was my last beer of 2013. I will never, ever subject myself to it again. Yuck.

01-01-2014 07:46:38 | More by sprucetip
tfin07

Mississippi

4.8/5  rDev +48.6%

I know this seem bias me rating it as high as I did however, this was an excellent beer to me. It had JUST the right ammount of bitternes and flavor. I don't do very strong beers and thats why I liked this one. It was the perfect balance. I have had it both in bottle and on tap. The best part about the bottle is the actual raspberries floating in t.

12-03-2013 19:09:27 | More by tfin07
mcb1987

Georgia

1.33/5  rDev -58.8%

S: The scents smell like hints of peroxide, very offputting. Just not good at all. T

T: Taste just like it smells and thats all there is to say about it

M: None whatsoever, went down like water leaving much to be desired.

OVERALL: Just awful. The same goes for all beers made by abita to me. I've had three types made by Abita, and all got the 2.00 rating.

Serving type: tap

06-16-2013 23:36:09 | More by mcb1987
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had this one on tap for brunch at some big shopping complex outside Dade City, Florida. From notes.

A - Medium golden pour and bright. Mild carbonation. One finger soapy head. Slight lace with a film of retention.

S - Peach, sweet fruits. Very, very mild.

T - Apricots, gentle hop, berries, sweet grain, flavourful but nothing directly up my alley.

M - Mild but good carbonation. Light to medium body. Fruity and short finish.

O/D - Definitely not a standout. Very much a gateway into craft stuff with the obvious fruit addition. Decent, but I probably wouldn't try it again.

05-17-2013 00:45:19 | More by tbeckett
Living816

Northwest Territories (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Loved the color. I've never seen a beer quite like this. Lovely amber, purple, golden. Like a sunset. Yeah, that sounds kind of douchey. Who cares. It really does.

Smells like fruit. Cheap fruit. Boones farm fruity. Subtle, sweet. No hops, no malt. Just fruit.

Tastes like fruit. Cheap fruit. Boones farm fruity. Not quite as sweet as it smells. Totally absent of any malt or hop character. Just flaccid, weak, and uninspiring.

Overall a decent pounder beer that would seem to be targeted squarely at drinkers transitioning from Bud Light or Miller Chill. I didn't find it to be very enjoyable, even though I'm not a huge hop head. Just absent in nearly all flavor.

One and done for me.

12-23-2012 04:17:14 | More by Living816
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

as the fruity beers go, i like this one because it doesnt taste artificial or overly sweet. the pour is a tad unnatural, with an odd purple hue to an already cloudy brew. there is about an inch of slowly dissipating white head. the nose is like muddled raspberries, fresh and tart, with the sweetness only coming in the taste. there is a light wheat malt to this as well as some american pale malt, which give it more body than a lot of beers in this style have. the taste shows some hopping toward the finish, which tames what would otherwise be a punishingly sweet conclusion. i like the freshness of the raspberries though, they taste just picked to me, and it makes an excellent summer drink. i see this as an early tee time brew, low alcohol, juicy, and sessionable despite the sugary vibe. great carbonation gives a light and bright mouthfeel, down easy. not my thing in the winter time, but ask me again on a hot golf course around 10:30am sometime this summer and i will have an entirely different opinion. one of the more palatable abita brews ive come across.

12-18-2012 21:49:35 | More by StonedTrippin
mgironta

3.3/5  rDev +2.2%

The brew poured with a two finger white head with an orange, cloudy body. There was no visible carbonation due to the cloudiness. There was a lot of fruit, mostly raspberry, on the nose, which is to be expected. There is some lacing left on the glass. The first sip is a lot of raspberries, but a lot of carbonation. I’ve had this before, and this is not what it tastes like. Something is missing. It almost tastes like raspberry seltzer. There is definitely something wrong with this beer. It’s so watery and weak. This pint is definitely not reflective of the beer itself. Normally, the beer is a nice mouthful of raspberries with a hint of wheat mixed in. It goes down quick and it goes down easy. Not this one. I think perhaps I got a bad pint. Anyways, Abita Purple Haze is an easy session beer with some great flavor. Just don’t try it at Court Jester in Freehold.

09-16-2012 23:13:28 | More by mgironta
travisdiener32

1.08/5  rDev -66.6%

Let me start out saying this. I've been on beeradvocate for close to 4 years and i've never felt obligated to review a beer. However, this thing they call a beer so disturbed my taste buds i couldn't help it. My girlfriend who will put down bluepaw and milk stout all day said she couldnt even smell it. It tastes like moldy rainwater at best. I would rather have to snort milwakees best.

07-03-2012 04:08:08 | More by travisdiener32
BlurryVisi0n

2.8/5  rDev -13.3%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: straight amber, head was thick at first thanks to the bartender. White head rose to maybe a full inch, drifting to ad settling to nothing.

Smell: smells uh a little like candy if you ask me,

Taste: little sour, no its not my first time having this but it's like a sweet sour that is light of the hop taste but sweet and sour.

Mouth: medium but not too sticking.

Overall: I bought a pint just to review it and honestly not worth my time nor yours. It looks good taste maybe alright but I have had much better from Abita not to mention better "fruit" beers. Salud!

05-28-2012 05:59:27 | More by BlurryVisi0n
aprila220

3.83/5  rDev +18.6%

I've had this in a bottle and on tap. I prefer it on tap but not bad either way. It's a crisp, refreshing beer. I don't think that it's overly fruity at all and don't really find that it has a distinct raspberry aroma. It's not at all bitter and on the whole, very enjoyable.

04-16-2012 02:05:40 | More by aprila220
ehammond1

3.05/5  rDev -5.6%

On Tap

Players Sports Bar
San Marcos, CA

Hazy light pink with a very small light pink head that leaves lots of stick down the glass.

The aroma is of wheat and mild raspberry. Nothing special, but nothing off-putting.

The flavor is similar to the aroma. A low level of bitterness, wheat and simple grain, and mild raspberry. I think they hit what they were striving for, they just weren't shooting very high.

Thin to medium bodied with high carbonation.

An average, fruity, wheat beer.

04-03-2012 04:24:07 | More by ehammond1
VncentLIFE

2.93/5  rDev -9.3%

On tap at Carolina Ale House in Durham. I thought Id give it another try after the horrendous bottle a whole ago. Pour is slightly darker than usual. Smell has raspberries everywhere. Thats all I get. One-sided, but not the worst thing ever.

Initially, the taste was amazing. Sweet raspberries are upfront, but then they fade to the dirty flavors that Ive come to hate with American Wheat Pale Ales. Its almost like BL, Bud Heavy, and MGD. It does so well, then it loses it when those awful flavors come through. Wish they didnt have it, because it would be in the realm of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, good in context.

03-23-2012 21:21:57 | More by VncentLIFE
CRockwell

Rhode Island

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

One of the few raspberry beers where the fruit does not overwhelm the beer, Purple Haze uses the fruit as an accent to a clean, crisp lager. Perfect for outdoor drinking on a warm spring/mild summer day.

A - An orange-tinted golden hue. Beautiful when held up to the light--almost glows.

S - You can hardly smell the raspberry. The beer just emits a mild, clean aroma.

T - Very clean. The raspberries come through on your tongue, but not overwhelming like most of the other fruit beers out there trying to use this fruit. Very tasty.

03-14-2012 13:40:08 | More by CRockwell
david18

2.78/5  rDev -13.9%

I had a sixteen ounce pour of this at the Amsterdam Ale House on Manhattan's Upper West Side. It was part of an Abita promotion that featured a number of other beers as well. I didn't love this but I have had it a number of times.

Appearance was a light gold with maybe a tinge of purple.

Aroma was like a combination of pale ale characteristics with the rasberry.

Flavor was the same. I'm not a big fan of fruit beers so I didn't love this.

A pretty solid beer if you like this sort of thing but be warned that it is pretty fruity.

03-12-2012 19:27:12 | More by david18
Jamesthebrit

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

A: Hazy light brown. I wasn't really seeing any purple but....
S: Smelled light with a hint of wheat there.
T: Bubbly, light, smooth, oaty, wheaty. I didn't taste the raspberry but it didn't hurt this beer. It was a little on the light side but had a good flavor still.
M: Sat very nicely. Bubbly and playful and left a lingering wheat flavor. Was a little on the watery side.

Overall this is a pretty good beer. It could go for a little more hops or so as it tasted a little watery but the wheat really stood out in this beer.

02-19-2012 16:39:51 | More by Jamesthebrit
thecheapies

2.25/5  rDev -30.3%

I can't get a good feel on color because it's in a semi-tinted Purple Haze pint glass. Looks burnt amber on top, purple at the bottom. PS: I have to drink three of these to win the glass (at the Circle Inn in Crafton, PA).

Smells like wheat grain and raspberry-scented perfume. Tinny and flowery. Far from incredible. Weak and unassuming.

Grainy and grassy. Weird raspberry ester pulling through. Not candied, not entirely fake, just muted tones of watery raspberry with some crispness, some metallic off-flavors, and implied freshness. Extremely one-note. Wheaty tang, some grassy hop, not much of anything else. I hate that my girlfriend likes this brew.

Mouthfeel is watery, but clean. Slightly over-carbonated. Not much for consistency.

This is not that bearable. I'm on my second, and struggling. I WILL win this glass, but at a price. Somebody pour me a Yuengling, please.

02-16-2012 04:17:46 | More by thecheapies
JohnnyChicago

3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

On-tap at the Clark St. Ale House; served in a pint glass.

A: Pours an ugly dirty blonde with tiny cap of foam.

S: Kinda artificial-smelling fruity hints with wheat and corn aromas.

T: Actually not as bad as I thought. Its weak and thin, but the fruit flavour isn't overbearing and there is actually some "beery" flavours in there.

D: I can see myself actually craving this in 100+ degree weather, but right now, I can think of about 100+ beers I would rather be drinking.

Overall: Not the monster people seem to make it out to be, but really not that great either. Its below average for fruit beers, but not particularly offensive. "Meh".

10-09-2011 20:45:50 | More by JohnnyChicago
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.68/5  rDev -17%

From draft on 8/26/11: Abita Purple Haze has a thick, slightly pink head, and a pink, hazy, fruit punch appearance. The aroma is of faint bread, grape soda, and some other things I can’t describe. The taste is of watered-down grape Kool-Aid. Hop bitterness is nil. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Abita Purple Haze finishes wet and dull. I don’t like it. It’s too watery.

RJT

08-27-2011 17:38:13 | More by RonaldTheriot
olimpia84

3.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Had this on tap. This beer as a dark and cloudy orangish-amber color, very small head. As with most fruit/vegetable beers the smell is one of the attracting points and this beer doesn't disappoint: you can definitely tell a rich raspberry aroma. The smell translates smoothly into the taste as well with a predominant raspberry flavor combined with wheat. Mid to high carbonation which bothered me a little in the mouthfeel department.

Overall, this is a pretty solid beer, highly recommended for those looking for a strong fruit taste.

08-20-2011 00:17:17 | More by olimpia84
Northsider

3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on tap.

Fruit beer? I must say, I really did enjoy this one! This turned out to be me wife's favorite beer, period. Dark amber color, small white head. Smell isn't really there, almost like the nothingness of a American Macro. You can really taste the raspberry in this one! Low abv makes it great to drink for a long time.

Honestly, not a bad beer! Certainly not my favorite, but thumbs up.

08-19-2011 01:15:48 | More by Northsider
HopHead84

1.85/5  rDev -42.7%

8/9/2011

On tap at High Dive. A raspberry lager.

A: Looks like hazy bubbly grapefruit juice with a small white head.

S: Watered down raspberry juice, like 9 parts mineral water and 1 part raspberry juice. There's a little grain.

T: The taste reminds me of grainy mineral water with a splash of sugary raspberry juice. It's pretty bad. There's some corn and grain as well.

M: Lower light body with a sticky, spritzy mouthfeel and high carbonation.

Overall: Not very good, as beer goes.

08-09-2011 21:43:09 | More by HopHead84
JackieTH

1.23/5  rDev -61.9%

Part of Old Chicago's American beer mini-tour.

Arrived with a half-inch of head over a weird pasty-yellowish-white body. There was very little smell. Taste is awful. Unsweetened watermelon Koolaid or something not drinkable comes to mind, I tried but left half the glass on the table. I remember nothing about the mouthfeel.

It was obvious it was some attempt at a sort of fruit beer, but I had no idea this was supposed to be a wheat-raspberry fruit beer until I read through a few these Purple Haze reviews just now.

07-09-2011 20:22:04 | More by JackieTH
Brittmb29

3.53/5  rDev +9.3%

On-tap at World of Beer Coconut Creek, FL

Usually can't drink more than one fruity beer so when i saw this on tap and wanted my last beer i order this:

A- golden w/ haze but with a pinkish/red tinge, served in a pint.

S- unimpressive, no wheat beer aroma only slight smell of fruity sweet raspberry.

T- smooth balanced taste, wheat beer flavor w/ some grainy hints of corn. raspberry comes through mid sip, slightly sweet but not overbearing cut by slight tart and then alcohol. very good beer to serve as a vessel for raspberry, wheat beer aspect doesn't shine thru as much.

M- light body, not watery. no sweet clinging aftertaste and good carbonation.

D- while i could probably drink a couple of these in a night (or afternoon) I wouldn't go for this beer back to back. It's a bit too sweet for me to drink as a session beer but a nice end, or start to the night.

06-03-2011 14:32:49 | More by Brittmb29
Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.