Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
hopdog

2.85/5  rDev -12%

Had this one on tap (pint).

Poured a cloudy golden color with a small head.
Aromas of raspberries with some wheat. Tastes of the same raspberries and wheat. Both on the softer and subtle side. Raspberries on the artificial side.

Notes from 9/19/04

11-14-2008 02:15:04 | More by hopdog
BigBen61

Kentucky

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

Honestly I don't know how to categorize this beer so I'll have to make due the best I can.

I had this on tap at Double Dogs in Bowling Green, KY

The appearance is good, even though I don't know what to compare it to. It was a cloudy golden color with a small white head.

The smell is where I began to be turned off by this beer. It litterally made me think of the color purple when I smelled it. I couldn't put my finger on the type, only that the scent seemed remenescent of berries with a slight hoppy undertone.

The taste was not all that great either. It really tasted like a bland macro, that had a bit of something else most likely fake raspberry or some other fruit (possibly sloeberry by the taste).

The mouthfeel is the only area that garnered points other than appearance in my opinion. This beer was exceptionally smooth with good carbonation and a medium body.

The drinkablility of this beer would have been much higher if not for the "fake purple" taste. I probably won't return to this one any time soon.

11-11-2008 18:02:14 | More by BigBen61
nick76

2.95/5  rDev -9%

Aroma is sour with a slightly fruity smell. Appearance is similar to a cloudy, pink wine cooler. The taste is bitter and has quite a lot of malt but very little raspberry. Somewhat dry finish with some wheat flavor. Overall, It was a letdown. Maybe more fruit flavor would help.

11-11-2008 05:59:27 | More by nick76
cvfish

Louisiana

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

A - This beer poured a pale golden color that was littered in the middle, creating a cloudy center, that produced a foamy white head with a slight pink hue that did not retain or lace the sides of the glass

S - The nose produces a grainy wheat sweetness, along with the raspberry

T - The taste of the beer was dominated by an artificial raspberry sweetness, with some subtle grainy wheat qualities

M - The feel of the body of this beer was light, very watery, with high amount of carbonation

D - This beer would have been a perfect summer beer, but the amount of carbonation packed into this beer did not make it very drinkable to me, and the raspberry taste was more artificial to me than natural

11-10-2008 21:43:46 | More by cvfish
donteatpoop

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

I'll admit it. I ordered this because the name reminded me of Jimi Hendrix, and I love me some Jimi. I wasn't entirely sure I should get it due to my utter hatred for all things raspberry, but I kept thinking about how lately things just don't seem the same. And what the hell, I was acting funny but did not know why, so I got it.

I poured it in the glass they gave me and it was a hazy yellow orange. It smelled of raspberry and tasted much the same; but the raspberry played nicely with the hops and made me hate raspberrys a little less.

It wasn't as sharp with carbonation as I'm used to, especially with wheat beers; but it was decent and I drank through it pretty quickly.

11-01-2008 04:48:51 | More by donteatpoop
johnd513

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%

This beer pours a golden orange color with a fizzy head that quickly disappears. Smell is citrusy with faint raspberries. Tastes of tart rasberries with a dry dry taste in the middle. The mouthfeel is light to medium body. Fruit beers are not my favorite, this one is okay for the style.

10-24-2008 23:41:56 | More by johnd513
RickS95

Indiana

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Kind of a golden color with hints of purple or reddish blue. Tastes like most fruit beers, though instead of sweet, this was more tart and acidic.

Unique in that there was pulp/sediment floating around, though nothing that affects taste or drinkability. If you don't like pulp, don't worry, you won't even notice it.

I'd enjoy another.

10-20-2008 19:46:48 | More by RickS95
MBABJJ

3.63/5  rDev +12%

A - Bubbly and particles floating. It's awesomely effervescent.

S - I can't put my finger on it, but it smells awful. Luckilly there is some raspberry scent to pick it up off the curb.

T - Somehow through the awful smell this beer manages to taste wonderful. The raspberry shines through and goes along with the pleasantly light whitey wheat beer.

M - Particles don't feel in the mouth, but it feels more like a champagne. Probably going to burp a lot with this bev.

D - This is the perfect summer craft brew. Even your gf will enjoy this tasty drink. Above all its drinkable and in the end I would do a sixer any given night combined with some burning trees.

10-17-2008 02:07:06 | More by MBABJJ
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a hazy honey-golden with a decent head. Rich malty aroma has strong overtone of raspberry - and I LOVE raspberries. Flavor is mouth filling, mainly malty with some hops and loads of raspberry taste and some sweetness. Finish is smooth and satisfying. I guess you have to love raspberries to appreciate this one.

Did I mention that I love raspberries?

10-16-2008 00:37:55 | More by Cyberkedi
Murchmac

Purple haze all in my eyes, this beer looks like a hefe in disguise,

Smelling fruity, and I know why, excuse me while i drink this guy.

Will the tongue ever remember the tastes it has tasted in the past, with this bubbly, raspberry,and light taste, it whispers, no, this will be, the last.

If the beer refused to pour, I dont mind, this beer isnt' a 6, or a 9

10-12-2008 03:12:47 | More by Murchmac
Pleepleus

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from stubby brown 12 oz. bottle to a Weizen glass a hazy golden amber (no Purple at all) with a half inch of white foam head with some spotty lacing. Smells of berries and wheat. Has a mild sweet rasberry and wheat flavor, somewhat watery. It is a light and very drinkable beer. I have had this many times before and will continue to. It may not be one of the best "fruit" beers but it is a nice change of pace if you are having a session.

10-06-2008 04:39:55 | More by Pleepleus
supercolter

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance is average, with a straw yellow color, a bit of head and no lacing. Smell is decent with some nice raspberry notes and decent malt backbone. The taste is almost all raspberry, didn't taste like it was meshed really well. The brewer said this could be due to the fact that its mixed in after fermentation. Mouthfeel is medium to light in body. Drinkability is very good.

09-28-2008 03:19:45 | More by supercolter
erikm25

Washington

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Pours a light raspberry hue with crystal pink and golden tangerine highlights. The head is slightly off white and thin with nominal lacing.

S: Raspberry and citrus aromas. Nothing over board and a slight wheat and bread nose is present as well.

T: The taste is not overwhelming but I like it. A blend of malted wheat, grapes, and berries. Grain is noticeable but so is a faint hops. Overall, its fruity and sweet undertone make it refreshing even as it warms to room temperature.

M: Thin but with decent carbonation. It is not overbearing in anyway. Everything in this beer is subtle and respectable.

D: Abita is one of my favorites so this review is not free from bias. I think it is very drinkable and I would always love to have some on hand in the fridge.

09-18-2008 22:45:26 | More by erikm25
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

As a former fan of other adulterants how could I not give this one a whirl? Out of the bottle (in Flagstaff AZ of all places?!) this was light amber with a faded plum/pink hue visible in good light. The nose was tart raspberry and some light malt. The flavors were fruity and sweet but the raspberry lacked definition. It was more general fruit sweetness with wheat beneath that. Not much else though. The mouthfeel was light and a little over-carbonated. I felt like this was a good theory that was poorly executed similar to Long Trail's Blackbeary Wheat.

09-09-2008 20:58:10 | More by thekevlarkid
TheDeuce

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

Abita Purple Haze...

Appearance-light orange to pink color, decent sized head that sits neatly.

Smell-wafts of fruit, raspberries obviously and something else sweet, some alcohol and malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel- Sweet upfront, light flavor, raspberry flavor actually isn't very strong but its there, smooth on the way down and actually finishes fairly sweet.

Drinkability-Refreshing and light, decent fruit beer.

Overall-again, a decent fruit beer, somewhat subdued but refreshing.

09-09-2008 04:46:17 | More by TheDeuce
Buggies

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer poured an amber color with purplish tint when looked at closely (hence the nice I suppose). Also pours with a lot of little floaty yum yums in the glass. Not much head at all. You could smell the raspberry, but it was minimal.

Taste of raspberry was also minimal. This beer reminded me a lot like one of those carbonated fruit flavored waters you can get. I was hoping for a little for on the raspberry, but overall, I kinda dug it.

It was very light and refreshing. I would definately buy the occasional sixer of this.

09-08-2008 00:49:59 | More by Buggies
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

On-tap 9/4/08 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub, in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of berries and other dark fruits, light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is fruity and sweet with flavors of grape, raspberry & blueberry. There's a thin malt character and a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is tart and sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, even among beers of its kind, I wouldn't select this one over most others.

09-05-2008 16:36:38 | More by TheManiacalOne
zerofear13

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

The name and bottle promises much. Poured out a muted, murky, yellow, gold color. Medium head. Smelled of sweet raspberry. Tastes of a tangy malt background with a slight hop finish. The most noticeable attribute of course is the sweet raspberry. It's not often that you hear a beer bottle advertise a certain flavor and then have that flavor so present that it makes you forget it's beer. In my opinion, raspberry flavoring is one thing, but the raspberry was a bit too much in this one. It tasted like I had accidentally poured beer in a Welch's or something.

09-02-2008 19:52:28 | More by zerofear13
glid02

Georgia

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Got this on-tap at Fontaine's in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy gold color with what I think are purplish tints. The lighting where I was eating wasn't that great so I could be wrong. One-finger white head recedes into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. Lacing isn't very sticky.

Smells like a very sweet raspberry bush, and I really have to strain to get anything other than the fruit smells.

Tastes the same as it smells. All raspberries, or rather sweet raspberry extract, no hop flavor at all, and a touch of wheat beer flavor at the end.

Mouthfeel is decent. The thickness is alright, but I think the carbonation is a bit too heavy. It's not far removed from drinking a fruity soft drink.

I had a hard time finishing this beer. I can't kill it too much because the food I was eating didn't lend itself all that well to the beer, but it was just too sweet.

Overall I can't see myself buying this again, I would probably turn one down if offered, but that's just me. It is what it is, expect lots of fruit.

08-29-2008 18:11:55 | More by glid02
clayrock81

Poured a golden body with some purplish tints, hence the name. Not very impressive. Miniscule head that died quickly but left lace patches. A quasi-sweet, I'm assuming from wheat twang, smell mixed in with a very fruity smell (more like tropical fruits than citric ones you'd find in a hefe). Light bodied, to me, it is a tad watery and slick but does pack a fruit punch power. Unfortunately, it felt like I was drinking punch and I couldn't really taste any hops or malt and it didn't feel like a beer. I prefer my "fruit" beers be beery. My non-beer drinking wife liked it, so I guess that's there demographic (non beer drinkers, not just my wife).

08-28-2008 19:33:54 | More by clayrock81
mwa423

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a very dark golden with a small head which quickly dies down to a lacing. I'm not sure what the hype about the purple hues, I can't see any in my glass.

Has a very strong fruit smell with a slight bit of wheat at the end of a taste.

Taste is only ok, plenty of fruit, short on the actual beer flavor. The fruit flavor also tastes slightly artificial.

Palate is a bit thin, it seems a bit watery but it goes down smoothly enough.

Overall, this isn't a bad bet for somebody who doesn't particularly care for beer flavor but doesn't mind fruit. However, I have had far superior fruit beers.

08-27-2008 23:34:31 | More by mwa423
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a golden/orange with very little head. Smell is nice, citrus/berries/grain and more berries. Tastes basically like a wheat beer with artificial berry flavoring added, just too much flavoring. Better on tap when I had it before. Still not even close to my top.

08-27-2008 23:07:33 | More by mtstatebeer
nrbw23

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a purple/pinkish tint to it. White head that had no retention and lace. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the purple/pink color.

S- Very sweet and raspberries.

T- Taste was pure raspberry and a little tiny bland wheat finish. Maybe like watered down raspberry ice tea.

M- Light and watery.

D- I have no idea why I revisited this one. I'll pass on this one. Seems like more of a wine cooler than a beer.

08-26-2008 22:45:37 | More by nrbw23
happygnome

3.53/5  rDev +9%

a: pours a dark golden color with deffinate purple hues, produces about a half inch of head that dissapears quickly leaving a little lacing
s: raspberry sweet aroma crisp
t: raspberry sweet malty
m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is a decent beer, but i dont think ill buy it again

08-22-2008 02:42:38 | More by happygnome
rdub

3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Hmm. I had high hopes for this one. One of the most expensive sixers on the block. The purple hue was pretty cool. Not much else. Tasted like a typical wheat with a tiny tiny bit of raspberry flavor. Nice and drinkable but not quite worth what I paid for it.

08-19-2008 22:53:26 | More by rdub
Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.