Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
Murchmac

Purple haze all in my eyes, this beer looks like a hefe in disguise,

Smelling fruity, and I know why, excuse me while i drink this guy.

Will the tongue ever remember the tastes it has tasted in the past, with this bubbly, raspberry,and light taste, it whispers, no, this will be, the last.

If the beer refused to pour, I dont mind, this beer isnt' a 6, or a 9

10-12-2008 03:12:47 | More by Murchmac
Pleepleus

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from stubby brown 12 oz. bottle to a Weizen glass a hazy golden amber (no Purple at all) with a half inch of white foam head with some spotty lacing. Smells of berries and wheat. Has a mild sweet rasberry and wheat flavor, somewhat watery. It is a light and very drinkable beer. I have had this many times before and will continue to. It may not be one of the best "fruit" beers but it is a nice change of pace if you are having a session.

10-06-2008 04:39:55 | More by Pleepleus
supercolter

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance is average, with a straw yellow color, a bit of head and no lacing. Smell is decent with some nice raspberry notes and decent malt backbone. The taste is almost all raspberry, didn't taste like it was meshed really well. The brewer said this could be due to the fact that its mixed in after fermentation. Mouthfeel is medium to light in body. Drinkability is very good.

09-28-2008 03:19:45 | More by supercolter
erikm25

Washington

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Pours a light raspberry hue with crystal pink and golden tangerine highlights. The head is slightly off white and thin with nominal lacing.

S: Raspberry and citrus aromas. Nothing over board and a slight wheat and bread nose is present as well.

T: The taste is not overwhelming but I like it. A blend of malted wheat, grapes, and berries. Grain is noticeable but so is a faint hops. Overall, its fruity and sweet undertone make it refreshing even as it warms to room temperature.

M: Thin but with decent carbonation. It is not overbearing in anyway. Everything in this beer is subtle and respectable.

D: Abita is one of my favorites so this review is not free from bias. I think it is very drinkable and I would always love to have some on hand in the fridge.

09-18-2008 22:45:26 | More by erikm25
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

As a former fan of other adulterants how could I not give this one a whirl? Out of the bottle (in Flagstaff AZ of all places?!) this was light amber with a faded plum/pink hue visible in good light. The nose was tart raspberry and some light malt. The flavors were fruity and sweet but the raspberry lacked definition. It was more general fruit sweetness with wheat beneath that. Not much else though. The mouthfeel was light and a little over-carbonated. I felt like this was a good theory that was poorly executed similar to Long Trail's Blackbeary Wheat.

09-09-2008 20:58:10 | More by thekevlarkid
TheDeuce

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

Abita Purple Haze...

Appearance-light orange to pink color, decent sized head that sits neatly.

Smell-wafts of fruit, raspberries obviously and something else sweet, some alcohol and malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel- Sweet upfront, light flavor, raspberry flavor actually isn't very strong but its there, smooth on the way down and actually finishes fairly sweet.

Drinkability-Refreshing and light, decent fruit beer.

Overall-again, a decent fruit beer, somewhat subdued but refreshing.

09-09-2008 04:46:17 | More by TheDeuce
Buggies

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer poured an amber color with purplish tint when looked at closely (hence the nice I suppose). Also pours with a lot of little floaty yum yums in the glass. Not much head at all. You could smell the raspberry, but it was minimal.

Taste of raspberry was also minimal. This beer reminded me a lot like one of those carbonated fruit flavored waters you can get. I was hoping for a little for on the raspberry, but overall, I kinda dug it.

It was very light and refreshing. I would definately buy the occasional sixer of this.

09-08-2008 00:49:59 | More by Buggies
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

On-tap 9/4/08 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub, in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of berries and other dark fruits, light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is fruity and sweet with flavors of grape, raspberry & blueberry. There's a thin malt character and a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is tart and sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, even among beers of its kind, I wouldn't select this one over most others.

09-05-2008 16:36:38 | More by TheManiacalOne
zerofear13

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

The name and bottle promises much. Poured out a muted, murky, yellow, gold color. Medium head. Smelled of sweet raspberry. Tastes of a tangy malt background with a slight hop finish. The most noticeable attribute of course is the sweet raspberry. It's not often that you hear a beer bottle advertise a certain flavor and then have that flavor so present that it makes you forget it's beer. In my opinion, raspberry flavoring is one thing, but the raspberry was a bit too much in this one. It tasted like I had accidentally poured beer in a Welch's or something.

09-02-2008 19:52:28 | More by zerofear13
glid02

Georgia

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Got this on-tap at Fontaine's in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy gold color with what I think are purplish tints. The lighting where I was eating wasn't that great so I could be wrong. One-finger white head recedes into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. Lacing isn't very sticky.

Smells like a very sweet raspberry bush, and I really have to strain to get anything other than the fruit smells.

Tastes the same as it smells. All raspberries, or rather sweet raspberry extract, no hop flavor at all, and a touch of wheat beer flavor at the end.

Mouthfeel is decent. The thickness is alright, but I think the carbonation is a bit too heavy. It's not far removed from drinking a fruity soft drink.

I had a hard time finishing this beer. I can't kill it too much because the food I was eating didn't lend itself all that well to the beer, but it was just too sweet.

Overall I can't see myself buying this again, I would probably turn one down if offered, but that's just me. It is what it is, expect lots of fruit.

08-29-2008 18:11:55 | More by glid02
clayrock81

Poured a golden body with some purplish tints, hence the name. Not very impressive. Miniscule head that died quickly but left lace patches. A quasi-sweet, I'm assuming from wheat twang, smell mixed in with a very fruity smell (more like tropical fruits than citric ones you'd find in a hefe). Light bodied, to me, it is a tad watery and slick but does pack a fruit punch power. Unfortunately, it felt like I was drinking punch and I couldn't really taste any hops or malt and it didn't feel like a beer. I prefer my "fruit" beers be beery. My non-beer drinking wife liked it, so I guess that's there demographic (non beer drinkers, not just my wife).

08-28-2008 19:33:54 | More by clayrock81
mwa423

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a very dark golden with a small head which quickly dies down to a lacing. I'm not sure what the hype about the purple hues, I can't see any in my glass.

Has a very strong fruit smell with a slight bit of wheat at the end of a taste.

Taste is only ok, plenty of fruit, short on the actual beer flavor. The fruit flavor also tastes slightly artificial.

Palate is a bit thin, it seems a bit watery but it goes down smoothly enough.

Overall, this isn't a bad bet for somebody who doesn't particularly care for beer flavor but doesn't mind fruit. However, I have had far superior fruit beers.

08-27-2008 23:34:31 | More by mwa423
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a golden/orange with very little head. Smell is nice, citrus/berries/grain and more berries. Tastes basically like a wheat beer with artificial berry flavoring added, just too much flavoring. Better on tap when I had it before. Still not even close to my top.

08-27-2008 23:07:33 | More by mtstatebeer
nrbw23

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a purple/pinkish tint to it. White head that had no retention and lace. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the purple/pink color.

S- Very sweet and raspberries.

T- Taste was pure raspberry and a little tiny bland wheat finish. Maybe like watered down raspberry ice tea.

M- Light and watery.

D- I have no idea why I revisited this one. I'll pass on this one. Seems like more of a wine cooler than a beer.

08-26-2008 22:45:37 | More by nrbw23
happygnome

3.53/5  rDev +9%

a: pours a dark golden color with deffinate purple hues, produces about a half inch of head that dissapears quickly leaving a little lacing
s: raspberry sweet aroma crisp
t: raspberry sweet malty
m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is a decent beer, but i dont think ill buy it again

08-22-2008 02:42:38 | More by happygnome
rdub

3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Hmm. I had high hopes for this one. One of the most expensive sixers on the block. The purple hue was pretty cool. Not much else. Tasted like a typical wheat with a tiny tiny bit of raspberry flavor. Nice and drinkable but not quite worth what I paid for it.

08-19-2008 22:53:26 | More by rdub
dsa7783

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Single, twelve-ounce bottle copped from Total Wine and More in West Orange for $1.49...
Pours a ruddy, medium-to-dark copper hue with a minmial head that left a minor amount of lacing around the edge of the serving glass that quickly receded...
Faint, unassertive raspberry and wheat-laden aroma...
Taste, likewise, was mild, wholly unassertive, yet still crisp, clean, and refreshing...
All-in-all, not the best depiction of the style I've come across...
A little too watered down and unassertive to me...

08-12-2008 00:22:56 | More by dsa7783
GoodKnight1220

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

Smells of malt, alcohol, and yeast.

Taste is yeasty and has the slightest hint of berries, not very impressed taste like a over marketed cheap American light beer.

Good Carbonation and mouthfeel.

Could drink this no problem, but not really what I was expecting.

08-10-2008 23:52:58 | More by GoodKnight1220
Brianmerrilyn

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured at Skibbo's in the Bronx, I have seen this around for about ten years but after telling my wife that the beer was from Nah Orlins, and after her enjoyment, and observatioins, I gave it a go again for Abita.

A-Does justice to it's namesake, light purple with vast 2+ fingers white froth and sticky lacing. As it settles, somewhat cloudy.

S - Mild but alluring fruit and yeasty aroma. Don't expect this beer to over power you in the raspberry, very subdued and rather nice.

T-Again, a subdues wheat with the rasberry gently knocking against the yeast. The wheat then recedes and you get a painful spicyness, perhaps some malts to boot, yet overall the taste fades into a watery mix.

M-At first, chewy and rich, good carbonation after clearing off your foam mustache. Very light and refreshing but weakening and turning watery.

D-A light and refreshing brew that is not going to catch your attention to much. A good way to introduce women to beer or sweet tooths in general. Nothing special but glad I took a revist to one of the beers I drank during my Beast days.

08-07-2008 02:13:22 | More by Brianmerrilyn
scottbrew4u

2.95/5  rDev -9%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with decent white head. Head settles nicely but not vanished.

S: Smell of wheat, tart cherries, raspberries faint, slight sourness like lambic. Hops are faint herbal.

T: Sour cherry/raspberry with mellow malt presence and a slight wheat bite. Watery in flavor.

M: Thin body and carbonation is smooth.

D: It goes down easy but has some issues with the flavor profile.

08-07-2008 02:11:35 | More by scottbrew4u
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Golden and a bit hazy, with a creamy head that lingers for a moment.

S: Hints of grain, citrus/orange, and raspberry.

T: Orange and raspberry flavors are present but not overwhelming or cloying. Finishes a bit grainy and with a light touch of hops for balance.

M: Pretty nice mouthfeel, fairly crisp and clean.

D: I'm conflicted about this one. On one hand, the fruit flavors were not overdone or cloyingly sweet as in some other beers, which was definitely refreshing. Still, there wasn't much about Purple Haze that screamed "drink me" - it was a nice flavor and a good change of pace beer, but not something I'd really drink more than one or two of if there were other choices available.

08-02-2008 19:54:45 | More by Clydesdale
Bsobotik

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Nice hefe appearance, a quasi-murky light brown, very thin head that leaves a nice thin ring for the duration

S - Sweet and can definitely pick up on the raspberries

T - Good fine carbonation, the raspberry taste picks up in the middle with a smooth finish

M - Smooth with no hiccups, maybe a little boring

D - A tasty treat but not really my type

Serving - Bottle to glass

07-31-2008 01:45:55 | More by Bsobotik
ibashmuck

Wisconsin

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a medium foamy head on a cloudy, clumpy golden body. I was a bit amazed at how thick it appeared, with the bottom of bottle sediment (yeast?) literally suspended in the brew. The raspberry smell was obvious, but not overpowering. A hint of staleness and hop bitterness in there as well. Taste starts out raspberry, shifts to wheatiness, then back to raspberry to finish. Again, raspberry not overpowering, but, in fact, a bit watered down. Didn't feel nearly as thick as it looked. I'm going to have to give this another go, just to see if that thickness is consistent.

07-27-2008 13:50:58 | More by ibashmuck
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a slight pinkish tint to it and a very thin white head.

Smell: Delicate wheat scent with a distant aroma of raspberries. Pretty straight-forward.

Taste: Sweetish wheat malt merges with a taste of tart, fruity raspberries. A couple drop of orange juice. Slight grainy hint. Drying, spritzy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: Fine enough for a fruity flavored beer if that's your thing.

07-21-2008 23:24:08 | More by ChainGangGuy
nem2006

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Is a golden/pink orange and hazy beer with a bubbly white head that fades fast.

It has a citrus (orange) smell with strong raspberries also.

The first sip was a little bland so I let it warm a little bit. The combination of raspberry and citrus of a wheat beer was a little much for me. Fairly smooth.

Overall a smooth beer, but the combination of raspberry and orange was not quite a combination I really enjoyed.

07-15-2008 02:23:19 | More by nem2006
Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.