Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev -26.2%

For a beer with "purple" in the name, I stupidly expected some purple colour to the brew. Oh well, what a naive assumption to make. This is in fact a light orange-golden colour, with a fine white head that leaves streaky lace. The body is at least hazed, and hold some static carbonation well. All things considered, it's not a bad looking brew. But really, I don't expect any of my other senses to detect "purple".

Nose is fruity, with a sharp raspberry character coming through with a strong level of artificial sweetness. Slight grainy characters poke through as well, which are unwelcome, as they lend an unpleasant savouriness to the aroma. Really, it feels like a grainy, but bland beer with a senseless addition of artificially sweetened fruit characters to it. Hmm...

Taste is... well, it's just empty. Here, the bland, generic base beer comes through with it's mild grain characters, and a slightly adjuncty sweetness. There's still the aroma of berries swirling around, but they add no real flavour—it's more that the haze of the aroma permeates the body of the beer.

Yeah, this is a needless and pointless fruit beer. It doesn't help that it's a very bland and rather unpleasant base beer, but the fruit addition makes it even worse. It feels senseless and cynical. Very unimpressed.

3.38/5  rDev +4%

4oz->Wine Glass

A ~ Pours on the darker side of blonde with not too much head. lacing is almost nonexistent.

S ~ Watered down crystal light & grain. Pink sanitizer.

T ~ Very clean malt flavors. Raspberry syrup. No discerning hop flavors but a touch of bitterness that does not linger. There's a touch of a flavor reminiscent of bathwater. Sweet n' Low is in there.

M ~ Fizzy & Gassy with an odd fruity cloy. Very easy to drink.

D ~ Ehhh...not as bad as I remember it being, but really not one worth getting again & again...or ever again for that matter. An alright fruit beer with no bells, no whistles.

3.08/5  rDev -5.2%

On-tap at the Clark St. Ale House; served in a pint glass.

A: Pours an ugly dirty blonde with tiny cap of foam.

S: Kinda artificial-smelling fruity hints with wheat and corn aromas.

T: Actually not as bad as I thought. Its weak and thin, but the fruit flavour isn't overbearing and there is actually some "beery" flavours in there.

D: I can see myself actually craving this in 100+ degree weather, but right now, I can think of about 100+ beers I would rather be drinking.

Overall: Not the monster people seem to make it out to be, but really not that great either. Its below average for fruit beers, but not particularly offensive. "Meh".

4.08/5  rDev +25.5%

A: Light brown, a little cloudy, with the slightest hint of lavender (not enough to justify the name, but it's there). A full finger of head that lingers longer than most beers in its class.

S: A fairly equal balance of raspberry and malted grain.

T: The raspberry is definitely there, but not as up-front as in the smell -- and that's how I like my fruit beers: beer first, with the fruit essence in the background. Wheat flavor comes through as well.

M: Nicely carbonated, semi-crisp, and refreshing (very easy to drink, I had to deliberately slow myself down).

O: A strong contender among fruit beers, and among the best raspberry beers I've tried.
(I have also had it on tap, and I recall enjoying that even more, but this review is for the bottle version I have at hand.)

3.45/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Red almost pink color. Grapefruit color. Small head, not ,much for lacing.

S: Malty and fruity, (how it should smell I suppose).

M: Very clean and crisp. Great mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. I like alot of carbonation with fruit beers myself.

T: Definately can taste the rasperries, I get a hit of some citrus as well. Not much for hops. A bit of bready malt as well.

O: Good for the style I guess. However, its a bit to much like wine cooler or somthing for me. Refreshing nonetheless.

A-Pours a hazy amber hue. The color is nothing short of glowing. Radiant. Nice white head is bigger than anticipated. It laces very, very well. I love the color here. Impressed by the beer's appearance.

S-Tart raspberry and light wheat. I enjoy the aroma. Not a huge aroma but it is pretty darn enjoyable. Not much in nthe way of hop, but the light malt mixes well with the raspberry and wheat.

T-I wish it would have been a bit more tart/sour. The flavor is quite wheaty. The raspberries are not as delectable as in the nose but still pretty nice. Still does encompass a nice fruity tanginess to it. I enjoy the flavor.

M-Very light with a lot of carbonation. The carbonation is not too aggressive. An easy sipper.

O/D-The whole 'Purple Haze' thing turned me off from this beer. But once i found out it was a raspberry beer I needed to try it. I enjoyed it quite a lot. It was $8 at my local store. I enjoyed it more and more with each sip. Catches some flak but I am a fan. Love those raspberries. Not as good as Blackbeary Wheat by Longtrail however.

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

#115. I haven't reviewed much by Abita Brewing Company, but this seems to be their most popular commonly available beer in the Atlanta area, available at most retailers in lieu of harder-to-find Turbodog or Jockamo IPA. I first had this several years ago when beer was young for me, and I am going to see how it has held up now that I have gained some experience and developed somewhat of an improved beer drinker's palate.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a tumbler pint glass. I don't have any Abita brand glassware, so another glass is going to have to do for this beer.

Served at a recommended 40 degrees Fahrenheit (as-per-BA's recommendation).

(Appearance) A vigorous pour generates a pretty thin 1-finger depth head but of a decent caliber frothy off-white consistency. Retention isn't great and this clears to light to spotty surface cover within a minute of the pour. Lacing is light but there. Appearance is a hazy medium golden amber tone. Not much in regards to raspberry-colored tones to be found. Carbonation appears lively. There's no chance of seeing through this glass; hazy is an appropriate term for the title of this beer. All-in-all a nice appearance but lacking in terms of head size and retention, we're not off to a terrible start. 3

(Smell) Some light pilsner tones with equally subtle wheat malt. Hop aroma is hard to find in the aroma, but there is a lingering tartness that I would have to assume originates from the raspberry aspect of the brew. Potency is medium on my expectancy scale. Not a bad balance and certainly tempting overall. 3.5

(Taste) Bitter and tangy start followed through with some sweat wheat malt tones rounded out by a subtle citrusy and fruity tart finish. Here is where the raspberry is most noticeable, coming through noticeably in the finish. It's a pretty nice balance of flavor and nothing is overwhelming in terms of taste. I am actually pleased that the fruit flavor isn't kicking my teeth out in this beer, but is rather a subtle complement to the flavor. Ultimately it's in a trans-dimensional rift of sorts between full-on wheat beer and full-on fruit beer, unable to decide where to go. I think that the fruit tones, though milder than I was used to were spot on for the most part. In terms of fruit-based wheat beers this is one of the better picks. 4

(Mouthfeel) Slightly foamy and slightly crisp. There's hardly any unpleasant alcohol flavors to detect and the occasional tongue tingle may just be coming from the minor tart finish of the brew. Carbonation is about as high as I'd want it to go for this beer. In the end it turns out fine. 3.5

(Overall) I can't say I'm at all disappointed by this beer. It happens to have a very good malt and tart bitter balance and the flavor is subtle enough to be on the good side of beer enthusiasts and beginners alike. A lot of people are going to be disappointed that this doesn't taste like drinking a bottle of raspberry jam, but I find the subtleness of flavors to be a largely successful venture ultimately. I liked it before, I like it now. 3.5

Abita Brewing Co.'s
Abita Purple Haze
B (3.7)

2.73/5  rDev -16%

I don't get this beer. I tasted ZERO raspberry on this beer at all.
It has a cheap bitter aftertaste and it taste like something out of a college friendly pub.

It does not smell like raspberry (maybe i got a dud?) but has a smell kind of faint of sweet/fruity mixed with some college beer it has a thick foam which fades after 2 seconds.

When it first hits your mouth, not too bad, but I dont see the sweetness/fruitiness people talk about or the raspberry they so shamefully promote.

Its drinkable if its Really cold even though cheap bitter aftertaste it is not too strong.

i expected some fruitiness, raspberry or sweetness feel to it, and i just did not get it at all.

pros: name and cool bottle design
cons: dont have space for all, but the fact i will pass it by next time.

Pours a reddish-purple with 1/4" of head that quickly fades to nothing. Smells primarily of raspberries, but little else of note. Taste is sweet and tart; raspberries predominantly with very mild malt and hops coming through. Mouthfeel is crisp and light; rather thin.

Too thin and one dimensional; definitely not for me.

3.73/5  rDev +14.8%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass 25/8/11

A cloudy orange like a wheat beer but with a short lived thumbs width of pinkish foam that leaves no lace

S smells like raspberry jam, cereal and honey

T as it smells but just a little weaker, the raspberry tastes a little unreal

M thick for the color and anymore bubbles and this would be foam opposed to the creamy feel I get

O although I'm inside looking out I could see this going well with the sauna outside they call Miami

call me a sissy but I could drink a few of these while the heat is on

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Abita Beer's Raspberry infused Purple Haze.

The first time I had this beer I was seven or eight deep at a brewfest. I loved it then but was not sure exactly why.

Today I'm drinking Purple Haze out of a bottle. The pour--though vigorous--made something of a soda-like head, light and airy and completely gone in a matter of seconds, leaving no lace whatsoever. Pleasantly though, the head, while it lasted, did give off the very raspberry tart aroma this brew offers.

Taking my first sip (again), it becomes abundantly clear why I would have liked this beer when I was drunk. This beer is light and fruity with a little bit of an alcohol bite (more of a nip really). This beer is super easy to drink and that's probably its biggest selling point. As far as complexity is concerned, however, this brew just doesn't have it.

This beer is not really beer at all as it isn't brewed with raspberries (and even that defies most people purity standards) so it's not something I'd normally even try; but I did enjoy the refreshing element it has and the pleasant, somewhat dry sweetness so I really have no regrets. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys malt beverages that aren't sickeningly sweet and still have some semblance of being a beer.

The skinny is like this:

A: Pale, somewhat hazy light gold, yellow color. What head it gets dies almost immediately and leave no lace.
S: The smell is probably this brew's best feature--sweet, dry with a little tartness.
T: This brew is certainly more in the realm of a malt beverage, but it is a refreshing beverage none the less.
M: Light, carbonated, with a little bit of a residue (not the right word but I'm still learning the finesse of a great beer vocabulary).
O: This brew is certainly not of great craft beer caliber but is a fun drink and a pleasant experience, though not for the beer aficionado expecting a premium, complex, craft beer.

4.13/5  rDev +27.1%

The color fits the name "purple haze" a nice hazy raspberry color. It's a nice crisp beer with a sligght sweet/tart flavor. It is not overly sweet or "artificial" tasting. It's a great lighter beer that fits in well with the hot/humid Louisiana climate!

2.68/5  rDev -17.5%

From draft on 8/26/11: Abita Purple Haze has a thick, slightly pink head, and a pink, hazy, fruit punch appearance. The aroma is of faint bread, grape soda, and some other things I can’t describe. The taste is of watered-down grape Kool-Aid. Hop bitterness is nil. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Abita Purple Haze finishes wet and dull. I don’t like it. It’s too watery.

RJT

2.48/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottle sampled at SF International Beer Fest, review dated 5/1/2009.

Cloudy yellow color with a purple tint.

Aroma of wheat and raspberry.

Flavor is more of the same with fake raspberry..

Rather watery, not much to it.

Nice name though. I like the concept, but it was not one of my favorites.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%

Had this on tap. This beer as a dark and cloudy orangish-amber color, very small head. As with most fruit/vegetable beers the smell is one of the attracting points and this beer doesn't disappoint: you can definitely tell a rich raspberry aroma. The smell translates smoothly into the taste as well with a predominant raspberry flavor combined with wheat. Mid to high carbonation which bothered me a little in the mouthfeel department.

Overall, this is a pretty solid beer, highly recommended for those looking for a strong fruit taste.

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

I had this on tap.

Fruit beer? I must say, I really did enjoy this one! This turned out to be me wife's favorite beer, period. Dark amber color, small white head. Smell isn't really there, almost like the nothingness of a American Macro. You can really taste the raspberry in this one! Low abv makes it great to drink for a long time.

Honestly, not a bad beer! Certainly not my favorite, but thumbs up.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap a few years ago and didn't review it at that time. I remember it being better on tap.
The color is amber, with almost no head.
Smell has the smallest amount of raspberry and is mostly the basic American wheat beer smell.
The raspberry doesn't really come through as a flavor but does a tart bite to the otherwise same old American wheat ale taste.
Creamy feel low on the carbonation.
This is a beer my fruit beer loving wife enjoys, as for me it is okay.

3.25/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Hazy. Golden hues with bronze and amber. Bright white head that subsides quickly to ring about the glass. Nice lacing persists.

Smell - Light grains and Raspberries!

Taste - Light. Very little hop presence. Not much raspberry either compared to the bouquet. The raspberry really shows up on the nose and in the aftertaste. Which is not unpleasant but does linger a bit.

Mouthfeel - Solid carbonation. Smooth light to medium bodied beer.

Overall - Not a bad beer but not a particularly good one. Let's call it an average beer with a great name.

1.85/5  rDev -43.1%

8/9/2011

On tap at High Dive. A raspberry lager.

A: Looks like hazy bubbly grapefruit juice with a small white head.

S: Watered down raspberry juice, like 9 parts mineral water and 1 part raspberry juice. There's a little grain.

T: The taste reminds me of grainy mineral water with a splash of sugary raspberry juice. It's pretty bad. There's some corn and grain as well.

M: Lower light body with a sticky, spritzy mouthfeel and high carbonation.

Overall: Not very good, as beer goes.

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

As I've said before, I'm normally hesitant to try beers with added fruit flavors; I far prefer to have those flavors occur naturally as a result of the malt. But when a trusted source recommended this one, I decided to give it a shot. And from the first crack of the lid, it was obvious that I wasn't dealing with the average raspberry wheat beer. The smell on this one is full of raspberries, yes, with all their sugary tartness, but while that scent is strong, it's not overpowering, and mixes fairly well with the underlying wheat beer.

On the tongue, much the same happens: the raspberries are obvious, but don't overpower the beverage. Yes, the first taste that comes across is raspberry, and the last taste to linger in the aftertaste is raspberry. But 1) this is *real* raspberry flavor, full and reminiscent of hot summer months--not some comes-from-a-test-tube substitute, and 2) the berry flavors still allow the wheat beer below them to surface and give a wave--and were it without the added flavors, it would still be a decent wheat beer.

I'm not completely sold on this one, mind you, but I'm willing to admit that it wasn't anywhere near as cloyingly, nastily awful as I was expecting, and in fact would go over fairly well with some vanilla ice cream. Beer float, anyone?

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Orangy/Amber color with just a thin cap of head that fades quickly to a ring.

Aroma: A surprisingly strong malt, almost burnt aroma that kind of has a rotting fruit smell mixed in. There's just a hint of berry floating around in the background.

Taste: Initially pretty thin, then some flavor builds as it sits on the tongue. Strong raspberry flavor, with a hint of bitterness towards the finish, which is pretty fast and clean.

The Rest: A decent fruit beer that is pretty light and crisp with a body on the thin side of medium. The aroma, however, is a bit off-putting which lowers the overall rating of this beer.

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A:Poured into ping glass.Slightly amber and golden in color with short-lived white head leaving behing slight lacing.
S: Fruity, raspberry
T: Sweet, fruity with plenty of raspberry flavor but mysteriously not overpowering.
M: Moderate carbonation, light-medium bodied. Sweet but not sticky.
D: Very unique taste in a beer that I have enjoyed several times and would drink again.

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

From notes. 12 ounce bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A- Dark golden/murky amber in color, small white head with little retention. Lots of bubbles which indicates that is very carbonated.

S- Faint raspberry aroma, wheat and some seltzer water.

T- This was very bland. Like the smell, there was a faint raspberry flavor, some wheat, but not much going on. It tasted like a strong fruit flavored seltzer water. Perhaps like a crystal light with some body to it.

M- Very light and thin. Super carbonated, which kind of made it nice to drink for some reason.

O- I was disappointed with this beer, not what I expected. It was just too bland. Great for a session beer and very easy to drink. This will not be a regular for me and I won't be buying this again anytime soon. Maybe for a back yard summer party where I'm gonna be drinking for several hours.

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Poured into my Zero Gravity pilsner glass, a slightly cloudy golden yellow, with a definite pink-purplish tint, and a small off-white head. Nose of grains, wheat, and coexisting citrus zest and raspberry. Light wheat beer profile on the taste buds, with a raspberry sweetness that's just strong enough to overtake everything else that might be present. Light mouthfeel, and quite drinkable on a relaxing summer day.

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

I drank this from a pint glass...

The beer is a murky dark yellow/ amber color with a fluffy white head, the beer and head had a very light lavender tint, it left a lot of lacing too. The aroma is faint with wheat bread and just a hint of raspberry. It tastes a little bland to be honest but I did pick up mostly wheat, with a slight tartness of raspberry with a bready finish. The beer is light, fully carbonated and has a dry finish. This is just a little above your average wheat beer with a little twist to it, a slight twist but still a twist.

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.