Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
Vansmack

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

I have to say that if you like blueberry in your beer... this is definitely for you. When you first get the beer, the first thing you realize is the smell. Yummy berries! And I'm not just talking a litle berry... this beer is packed with blue blue blue berries.

When you drink it, you realize that you just from being a man to a little girl. Especially if you enjoyed it. I do have to say that it was an easy drink and I could have probably had another 20 and not even felt like I was drinking a beer.

To recap... if you want to go from being a manly man to being a sissy in a few seconds... THIS IS YOUR BEER!

GOOD NIGHT NOW!

03-14-2008 19:11:49 | More by Vansmack
dippy

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured Fizzy and yellow. Hard pour but the head disappeared quickly.

Smells of raspberry big time. So much so that I can't detect much else.

Tasted like a raspberry. My girlfriend is going to love this. Slightly citrus.

Not much to say about this one. It was light, and refreshing.

Fruit beers aren't really my thing, but this one had the raspberry flavor without the sweetness which was nice.

But since I have had one, I don't feel the need to try it again. Not bad though.

03-13-2008 19:18:40 | More by dippy
zeff80

Missouri

2.17/5  rDev -33%

A - Poured out a golden/yellow color with a small, white, fizzy head. Highly carbonated and it left no lace.

S - It smeled of raspberry and grains.

T - It tasted too sweet. The raspberry flavor was overpowering. The light maltiness did was not well-balanced with the fruity flavor.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light-bodied beer.

D - Too fruity and sweet for my taste.

03-06-2008 02:40:36 | More by zeff80
gmfessen

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

Has a best before labeling system but is not utilized on the bottle. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a very slightly cloudy straw color with no head to speak of. Small amounts of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Smell is underwhelming, slightly of wheat and a hint of raspberries. Taste is only slightly better, skunky lager mixed with fruity raspberries, finishes grainy - decently balanced. The mouthfeel is light with a stagnant carbonation. Overall drinkability is low because I didn't like the beer really at all, making it difficult to drink. Disappointing with such a cool name.

03-06-2008 00:18:12 | More by gmfessen
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Appears a clouded grapefruit like hue with a bright white head forms thick even streaks of lace. This is an old favorite from my early days of beerdom. Aroma contains tart raspberry with acidic sharp wheat and mild yogurt tanginess, not overly sweet like most fruit infused wheat beers these days just natural tart raspberry puree'. Flavor has creamy but tart raspberry sweetness with lingering citrus frit and sharp wheat notes sticking around on the palate. It never gets too cloying with the sweetness, a nice mix of tart and mild creamy raspberry infused yogurt with that classic lactic character. Mouthfeel is creamy with even carbonation slightly sticky with a small amount of residual sugars clinging to the palate, body overall is medium to light textured. Drinkability, a solid refreshing fruit beer that I could dig in moderation in the summer time heat, I will always hold a special spot for this one since I discovered it while living in SoCal after my freshman year of college.

02-23-2008 17:57:04 | More by WVbeergeek
callmemickey

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Golden with a thin head which becomes not existent in a hurry

S: Grainy with hints of raspberry

T: At first the beer is grainy with very faint hopness, but then the raspberry tartness comes through gently...

M: medium-light bodied... smooth...

O: refreshing and gentle... two good things that all fruit beers should try to emulate. otherwise pretty boring

02-20-2008 18:35:46 | More by callmemickey
JamesS

Indiana

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Came to the table with a decent golden coloring (no purple coloring at all), but little head and no lacing. It has a crisp, slightly fruity scent. The same for the taste, but it was hard to detect what kind of fruit was in there. It also had characteristics more like a lager than a wheat beer. It went down smooth, although there was an immense amount of carbonation for a wheat beer. I would never turn one of these down, but I won't buy any more for myself, either.

02-17-2008 14:30:48 | More by JamesS
dsigmon

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

A: not bad here, cloudy hazy amber with big head

S: smells like your typical wheat beer but with a funk bitterness and acidic raspberry

T: initial bread and yeast taste with a raspberry tone. a bitterness (think old budweiser) is apparent which I can't stand

M: light and highly carbonated

D: i choose bush

02-11-2008 21:18:07 | More by dsigmon
beerthulhu

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Poured a nice amber color with dark purple hues with a thin off white head.

S: On the nose as a big strong raspberry flavor, but smelled artifical.

T: The initial flavor was pale malt backbone with a tart artificial berry taste. The flavor was fruity, and tart, and thin and artificial. The beer finished with a raspberry flavor,

M: a tad overpowering at times and is to fizzy from the lively carbonation.

D: Not a good drinkable amber, drank like over-carbonated grape juice. ugghhh!!!

02-09-2008 02:06:43 | More by beerthulhu
Wilceaser

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle at cellar temperatures.
Color is average for a wheat beer, head was pale amber. Smell was very fruity.
Taste and smell was was a little too fruity, but the beer still managed to be a refreshing.
Mouth feel was a little thin.
It should be noted that the label lists it as a malt beverage, niot a beer so... I think for what it is it's not too bad.
I could see this drink being good for a real hot day, Light and tasty, or maybe as an after dinner beer.

02-05-2008 19:44:46 | More by Wilceaser
fank2788

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Sampled on tap at The Spot in Bethel, CT
very cloudy yellow in the glass with little to no head the smell is light fruit i guess raspberry but it reminds me of sam adams cherry wheat also, a bit of light grain in the smell as well. Taste is fairly sharp, it starts like an average american wheat beer but then comes the fake fruit which stays pretty one dimensional and average at best. Mouthfeel is decent light and effervesent but the fruit flavoring leaves a slick sweetness that is a bit unpleasant. Decently drinkable, not very challenging and not too sweet that it is cloying, but it is tough to drink when you have better options.

01-31-2008 00:29:23 | More by fank2788
oscplayr25

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +25%

A- Great looking beer when poured into a glass. Has a great wheat coloring and look but has a slight tint to it from the raspberries.

S- Smell was ok. It deffinetly smells like a wheat beer but you cant get so much of the raspberry smell in with it.

T- A normal wheat beer with a raspberry taste coming at the end of the drink. Unlike most beers its a wheat beer with raspberry flavoring not a raspberry beer with wheat.

M- It carbonates like most beer. It does not leave a lingering taste on the mouth.

D- I can drink this beer all day long. It is one of my favorite fruit beers and up there with my wheats. I believe the closer you get to louisianna and the brewery the better the beer gets. Do a six pack its a great beer.

01-25-2008 03:02:36 | More by oscplayr25
bboven

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

Great look to it. Minimal head that keeps coming and leaves good bits of lacing. Moderately hazy with a few chunks floating around. Dark yellow body, right on for a wheat.

Smell is a bit more like a hefeweizen with a bit of punky fruit in it rather than a crisp, sourish American wheat. Leaves a bit to be desired.

Taste starts out decent, you can tell it's not fruit extract. But then it finishes with a plainly awful lavender-scented wax flavor and aftertaste.

Really drying for a wheat, a little over-carbonated and you can tell that it's force carbonation. This level of carbonation would be a lot more palatable in a bottle conditioned wheat, but trying to replicate it is not really good for this beer.

I'd pass on this one. There are much better fruit wheat beers out there. Believe me.

01-25-2008 01:37:28 | More by bboven
Halcyondays

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow, with a small white head not expected in a wheat beer.

S: Raspberry juice and wheat malt as I expected.

T: Very good, it starts off light with the wheat in the forefront, the raspberry really doesn't begin to appear until the 3rd sip or so, but it's not artificial, it tastes like real raspberry juice, which is nice to see in a fruit beer.

M: Crisp and biting with a full carbonation which belies its pallid appearance, refreshing.

D: One of the better wheat/fruit beers out there, not a taste sensation, but it would make a excellent summer beer on a 90 degree day.

01-22-2008 02:57:26 | More by Halcyondays
JDV

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

Cloudy pinkish, pink lemonade like pour with a bright bleached white head that doesn’t last. Smell is a bit wheaty, and mostly raspberry as expected with a touch of a metallic smell that lasted after the head faded. Taste is mostly raspberry and a bit of wheat in the finish, but its slight. I didn’t like this as much as I remember liking it when all I drank was bud light and hard ciders. Its an ok beginner beer I’d say, as my girlfriend liked it, and so did I when I hadn’t tried or gotten used to many of the different styles or bolder flavors that I really enjoy now.

01-15-2008 22:04:14 | More by JDV
nrpellegrini

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev +38%

ABV: 4.75%

The first time I had this beer was about a year ago in Gainsville, Florida.
It was amazing. I had tasted nothing better.
A couple months later I had it back home (Baltimore, Maryland) and it was great but definitely no where close to the first time. I guess the distance from the brewery really had an effect on the beer, which is several hundred miles.

Tastes like beer with raspberries.
Not overpowering.
Smooth.
Fresh.

01-15-2008 20:33:57 | More by nrpellegrini
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev -9%

Heather Bidwell, again, thank you.

Appearance - Pale orange hazy body. The head is white, almost tan and starts at one eighth of an inch and fades evenly to a subtle whisp of white bubbles at the surface.

Smell - As I pour the brew the sweet wheat aroma fills the air. There is certainly a raspberry scent present.

Taste - Whoa. Not a very complex wheat beer. In my experience most are not. This one has a sweet raspberry taste that really sets it apart from other wheat brews.

Mouthfeel - The texture is coarse and even a bit uncomfortable.

~ I wouldn't classify this beer as a session brew or a one and done. I don't think it's a dessert beer or a breakfast beer either. If you're going to have one, have one around lunchtime. Just like I did. I don't see anymore Purple Haze in my future, unless it's rolled up in paper.

01-12-2008 20:50:52 | More by cdkrenz
BDIMike

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

The appearance is cloudy yellow, head is slight and doesn't stay for long.
I don't smell much of anything at all. A little bit of wheat and barely any raspberry.
The taste is very wheaty. Basically, that is it, a tiny bit of raspberry.
Mouthfeel is nice. Could be a little heartier.
Drinkability is nice.

01-05-2008 23:57:52 | More by BDIMike
mattster

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Opened 12 fl oz bottle (bb 05/06/08) and poured into Nonic glass.

Formed nice 1" foamy head atop brew Sort of on the lighter side as I expected more of a darker brew. Really nice smells of - figure this - RASPBERRY. Taste is not what I expected. I was expecting an overly sweet Raspberry brew, but sweetness is more subtle and the it focuses on the tartness of the fruit. Finishes rather dry.

I was impressed by the taste, beer is pretty drinkable, but I'm not sure I'd want more than one or two in an evening as it is pretty fruity.

01-04-2008 10:17:40 | More by mattster
colebenoit

British Columbia (Canada)

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

I picked this bottle up in Hattiesburg, Mississippi on a trip recently and thought I'd give it a try. According to the back its a wheat lager which I thought was interesting.

Pours with a big head that is quite promptly gone with no lacing...kind of disapointing for a wheat beer. Color is pretty pale with a hint of reddish tones.

This beer smells decently and its probably its best feature. It has a a nice hit of fresh raspberry and malt, however there is an odd metallic undertone to the aroma that I'm not too fond of.

The taste on this beer is extremely lacking and its probably one of the worst beers I've had in some time. I normally enjoy fruit beers and understand their role in the beer world but this beer doesn't even live up to those standards. Its extremely watery with zero body and the raspberry tastes very fake. I'm actually having a hard time finishing this one and I certainly won't be buying it again.

01-02-2008 04:14:34 | More by colebenoit
RblWthACoz

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

Nose is extremely metallic with a grain edge to it. Flavor is actually pretty smooth with the fruit. Robust wheat body with a smooth and seemingly natural berry influence. Feel has a real strong large bubble hitting the tongue and a pretty standard liquid feel. Overall pretty drinkable. I will say that it is oddly earthy and robust and delivers a not so foo-foo-ey fruit beer experience. May not be the most beautiful example of the style, but it is surely interesting.

12-31-2007 07:06:23 | More by RblWthACoz
bigremy

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured nice from the bottle, with good color to it. The aroma of raspberries wasn't very strong in my opinion, but overall the smell was good. The body was in the light to medium range, and I found it to be fairly crisp and refreshing. The raspberry flavor was present, but not overly strong which I liked since it didn't overpower the rest of the tastes. In the overall, I think its a good fruit infused wheat that I would definitely drink again.

12-30-2007 06:02:11 | More by bigremy
tdawgydog

2.95/5  rDev -9%

I only recently started enjoying "fruity" beers. UFO's Raspberry Hefeweizen being one of my favorites so I thought I would give Purple Haze a shot. It pours nicely but the head was quick to dissipate. There is only a small hint of raspberry in the beer which was disappointing to me. There also isn't much body to the beer. I would certainly drink this beer again, but there are many others that I would choose before I came back to this one.

12-20-2007 23:55:47 | More by tdawgydog
windigo32

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

I've liked this one since a friend introduced me to it when I turned 21 but have been finding beers I'd much rather drink instead.

A: Pours a cloudy yellow, head is slight and doesn't stay for long.

S: Slightest hint of raspberry is present. There's a slight yeast smell as well.

T: The raspberry is barely tasteable. There is a noticeable taste of yeast.

M: The mouthfeel is good, if slightly watery. There isn't a whole lot of carbonation, but you wouldn't expect this beer to have much.

D: Drinkability is very good. It goes down easy and goes down smooth.

It's a good beer to have on a warm summer day, but not something to sit and drink one after the other.

12-06-2007 05:17:50 | More by windigo32
BBM

3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow with a bubbly white head that doesn't stick around long. Some lacing around the glass. The aroma is a bit sweet and medicinal, with a distinct bread-like quality.

The flavor is not as bad as I feared. There's no harsh syrup taste, little medicinal flavor, and the wheat flavor gives it a nice balance. It's still a little too soda-like for me, and I have had better fruit beers, but I have also certainly had worse. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy, as expected. As Mr Burns would say "I know what I hate... and I don't hate this." On the contrary; it was actually a decent surprise. Worth a try if you're into fruit beers.

11-15-2007 14:21:03 | More by BBM
Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.