Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +19.6%

Hazy yellow, orange in color. Thick white head with awesome retention and mountains of lacing.

Fruity, berry like aromas. Smooth grain.

Grainy malt with a processed white bread character, extremely smooth. Distinct raspberry and blackberry are the most prominent flavors, yet not overwhelming. Mild honey sweetness. Tart on the finish. Mellow, herbal hops barely break the threshold of taste.

Smooth feel. Medium-bodied and good carbonation. Leaves a sharp crispness at the end. Highly drinkable also.

Not the most interesting beer out there but for what it is, it's not too bad. Smooth, drinkable and refreshing.

3.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

served in standard pint glass.

A - moderately cloudy golden tone with 1/4" white head that quickly settles to a lacy surface coating.

S - markedly fruity (raspberry) -- somewhat lambic-like -- and malty/wheaty

T - not nearly as sweet as the smell suggests, but substantial taste of raspberries. Clear grain/malt taste, mostly from wheat beer base. Short-lived semi-dry finish.

M - light, indeed a bit watery, with good carbonation

O - goes down very easy. Very good hot weather session beer.

{minor revision with new OVERALL rating on 5/7/11)

4.53/5  rDev +39%

The best fruit beer I have had....

Color was gold with a slight purple tint

Smell was a very wheat beer smell

Taste was great, huge burst of raspberry flavor up front with a nice wheat beer back end, but overall an amazing berry taste

A very flavorful and drinkable beer

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a light golden with a small white head that disappeared quickly.

Aroma is berries some light malt. Not much.

Taste is fruity [raspberry, blueberry], malt and sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and cleansing.

Overall, an OK beer. Not great, but drinkable due to the low ABV and the taste is not offensive.

2.59/5  rDev -20.6%

A: poured into a Weißbierglas, the beer has an average cloudy tan body with a great head and lacing.

S: some sweet bread-like malts, but most of the smell is dominated by the raspberry. I can't help but think much of this is artificial as the raspberry smells very sweet... heilige Maria! I hope this is not Smirnoff Ice mixed with beer O_o

T: Flavor is actually rather laid back. The flavors do not present themselves strongly- even the raspberry is weak, more of a slight sweetness really. The Weizen characteristics are poor: no thick body, no bready malts, no fruit flavors (besides the Raspberry) beer tastes more like a crappy lager.

M: like weakly carbonated water.

D: The beer guy told me this was, a popular beer-- he told me to expect quality something like Blue Moon... Its worse... not very drinkable!

D:

3.34/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into wheat beer glass.

A - Pours a 3 finger pillowy head (actually crowned the top of the glass nicely). Very hazy, light tan color with some floating sediment. Almost lavalamp-like in appearence. Slight effervesence.

S - Smell of Raspberries is very very faint but noticeable. All in all just smells very wheaty and malty.

T - Taste is kinda bland to be honest. The taste of Rapsberries tastes rather confectionary but still refreshing. Maltiness leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of the throat though.

M - This beer is super-light bodied so the mouthfeel is rather thin and watery, but not terrible.

D - Drinkability on this beer is EXTREMELY high. I dont think anyone would have a problem drinking this beer, unless of course you don't like raspberries or fruit/vegetable beers in general. But I could slug a few of these down no problem and not feel overwhelmed or full.

Final Thoughts: Would recommend, but would probably not buy again.

1.7/5  rDev -47.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Looked like a typical wheat beer, but it had a strange pink tint to it. Looked a little creepy to be honest. Had a weak, quickly disappearing head.

S: Malt and some raspberry. Very weak.

T: Tastes almost like someone mixed 1/4 wheat beer, 1/4 raspberry malt beverage, and 1/2 water. Extremely disappointing.

M: Little carbonation. Very watery.

D: I suppose I could've rated it higher for this category. The taste is so weak, it couldn't possibly offend you. But why would anyone want to drink something like this?

Ordered at a favorite local restaurant - dining outside on a hot, humid evening. Was looking for something light and refreshing. I felt a little cheated with this one. Tastes like a malt beverage pretending to be a craft beer. Avoid!

3.61/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured with disappearing head. There was a faint pink-purple tint to the hazy beer, and the raspberry flavor was very authentic - it didn't taste like an artificial additive or preservative. The beer had a lightish flavor, and with the subtle fruit flavor, I could see having a few of these.

3.71/5  rDev +13.8%

It actually did pour a slight purple hue but was mostly golden with a half finger of head and left a little sticky lacing on the glass. On the nose I got the raspberry aromas right away along with grain and wheaty bready notes; pretty basic but fruity. Upront the raspberries dominate the palate and also came with grainy and wheat accents like the nose. The brew was light bodied with a low amount of carbonation that had a fruity grainy crisp finish and was quite enjoyable. It drank very good and was really good paired with some southern style BBQ.

2.4/5  rDev -26.4%

consumed 08-06-2009, 12oz bottle into pint glass.

appearance: pours a light golden color with a decent size head.

smell: the raspberry smell was quickly noticed. Very overwhelming at first. After a few tries, I managed to also pick up some grain notes.

taste: the raspberry taste wasn't as strong as I expected but is still very much present. gives you a tart like finish with some grain. other than that, pretty watery stuff.

mouthfeel: very watered down with pretty much no after taste.

drinkability: almost like drinking a fruit drink that has been watered down. its easy to put down, but ehh.

3.44/5  rDev +5.5%

I've had this both from the bottle and on tap, I'll review the one I had on tap.

A creamy gold, hazy color. Almost no head and only a little bit of lacing.

Sweet raspberry smell with a hint of grain.

Smooth mouthfeel, faint fruity taste with not a whole lot of hops, expected from a fruit beer.

Overall, I enjoy this beer. It's not my favorite, but I enjoy it every once in awhile.

3.01/5  rDev -7.7%

Abita Purple Haze pours a light, light, hazed whitish yellow. A very small head is present but seems to be hanging out for a long time. The nose on this beer is huge! it almost smells like Welch's juice. The first sip is like biting into a raspberry filled jelly doughnut. The wheat is present only on the finish by scratching the back of my tongue. The beer is extremely easy to drink. It's not too sweet but seems more like something to have with breakfast. If breakfast is too early for you (on your days off of course) maybe with some cheese cake topped with fresh raspberries after dinner. I'm was going to rate this beer a solid B- but it seemed to become flat as I continued to drink it. So my rating is a middle of the road C

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Hazy gold beer that has some carbonation bubbles with a medium head that lingers for the drink. Smell is rich in rasberry, not much else. The taste is like fruit juice. It's definitely rasberry heavy, pretty smooth, little carbonation bite. Light bodied with light carbonation. It's a light beer that tastes like a fruit drink. It's not bad but just not for me.

3.21/5  rDev -1.5%

Well, we know where they get haze from, it is hazy, but I have no idea about the purple part of the name. Instead, the color of this beer is peach. It almost looks like peach nectar. I swear there was a head on this beer when I poured it. I put it down, looked at my keyboard, looked back at the beer and the head had vanished!

You can smell the raspberries. Maybe it might my description of the color that's playing the Jedi mind trick with me, but I swear I smell peaches as well. There's also a bit of biscuit behind it all. I imagine this is what a peach melba smells like.

This doesn't taste as nearly good as it smells. The fruit flavors you get on the nose are seriously muted on the tongue. What a jip! Yeah, there's some raspberry on the palate and yeah you get some biscuity malt on the tongue and yeah, there's even a slight citrus bite in the wash. But it's all so blah and flat. What a shame.

I almost have no will left to continue reviewing the rest of the aspects of this beer, but I will persevere. The mouthfeel exhibits a slight carbonation and the body would benefit from a little more.

This has so much promise and just fell flat on its face on the first sip. Many friends have warned me that Abita brews unremarkable beers and I have now experienced it for myself.

2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

Let me first address the label. Has anybody else noticed that with that with the exception of the Abita logo, nowhere on the front does it say "beer". It's called a "Raspberry Wheat Brew", and described as a "malt beverage with raspberries added". Ironically, I didn't notice this until after I tried it and was immediately skeptical upon whether or not this could actually be considered "beer", hence I looked at the label. I've noticed on older labels it does say "beer". For all intensive purposes, this doesnt fit my category for beer, and my review reflects that.

Appearance was good, a slightly ruby'd-peach color "haze" if you will with a descent head and lace. The smell was of a sticky-sweet raspberry, with wheat undertones- pretty predictable. The taste was no more adventurous and it was a little too sweet for my liking, though you should expect that from a fruit beer I guess. Nonetheless the sweetness taste a little artificial, and thats what I didn't like.

Overall, not a bad drink to get ppl interested in craft beers, but as far as I'm concerned, this is not beer.

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Well since I'm from Louisiana I have to show a little bit of favoritism. Pours cloudy orange with a 1.5 to 2 finger head that dissipates at a leisurely pace. If you smell the beer before you try it the first thing you will notice before you bring the rim of the glass up to your nose is the raspberry aroma of the beer. But at first sip the taste is not quite as obvious as the smell. This beer does have a fruity raspberry taste but not enough to rule out that you're still drinking a beer. It has mild hoppyness and mild carbonation. A good beer for a hot Louisiana summer.

4.77/5  rDev +46.3%

The beer looks very interesting. I couldn't wait to try this beer.

The smell gives off a faint scent of Raspberry.

The taste is incredible. It's not too strong of a beer, and starts with a taste of Raspberry. Then the hops balances it nicely finishing with a faint aftertaste of Raspberry that isn't too sugary.

The body of the beer isn't too heavy. If I had to put it somewhere I would say it was leaning more towards a lighter body beer.

Overall I recommend this beer to anyone looking for something different. Most people I have asked say they don't like this beer, but I just tell them they're crazy because I honestly think this is the best beer I've stumbled upon for some time now.

3.59/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours hazy golden with a large head with slow dissapation.
S- Smell is pretty one-dimensional with raspberry being the only real smell, with just a faint hint of wheat.
T- Taste is far more balanced. It starts with tart raspberry and then evens out with grain flavors and just a hint of yeast balancing everything. low, but appropriate, hop profile.
M- Crisp upfront, finishes a little smoother.
D- It's not a bad beer. For a fruit beer, it's actually pretty good. I enjoyed.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 500ml Weihenstephaner World Cup glass.

Appearance: Hazy golden-orange color with a large white head that dissipates slowly and doesn't leave much lace behind.

Smell: Wheat and yeast, with lots of raspberry.

Taste: Begins with a raspberry flavor, finishing with a wheaty flavor that reveals even more raspberry. For a fruit-infused beer, this one has just enough balance to not be too fruity.

Mouthfeel: Light body with balanced carbonation and a very refreshing finish.

Drinkability: I don't really understand why this beer is reviewed so badly- I don't think it's THAT bad. This isn't something I would go for all the time, but I'd be willing to have it again. If nothing else, this would make for a great refresher to have in the fridge.

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

about 40 degree F into a weissen glass
A- cloudy peach. 1 finger of head that disappears quickly.

S- faint raspberry, nothing else.

T- crisp and acidic with a hint of the raspberry flavor.

M- feels like soda pop

D- real easy to drink but nothing special to make it a repeat

2.63/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a shaker pint.

Appearance- Hazy straw gold with a one finger white head that fades very quickly. Lots of bubbles rising to the top. No lacing remaining.

Smell- Floral and fruity up front and nothin much else going on here. Underwhelming is a good word for it I think.

Taste- Well it definitely tastes like raspberries. A little biscuit flavor on the aftertaste. Simple and to the point. No hop presence whatsoever.

Mouthfeel- Too highly carbonated if you ask me. I like my wheat beers peppery but not soda-like and thats what this one is.

Drinkability- This is the beer's only real redeeming quality if you ask me. It's light and refreshing which is a very good combo on a Texas summer day.

Overall- Probably not something I'll buy again. Just goes to further reinforce my dislike of fruit beers. I can see how the BMC crowd might enjoy this one, but its not for me.

Mmmm this was good. A nice floral aroma, a pretty golden pour, and a lovely raspberry taste. And real raspberries, not some imitation added ingredient.

It almost came off as a pale ale with the nice wheat taste, but it all worked together very nicely. I'm definitely adding this one to my faves.

4.07/5  rDev +24.8%

Presentation: Pint glass at the Flying Saucer.

A: Hazy, golden with a faded plum hue. A creamy thin lace sits on top.

S: Tart raspberry with grains.

T&M: Crisp up front to a heavy tartish raspberry flavor that mellows somewhat. Some grainy undertones go from middle to end and hop bitterness is minimal.

Probably better on tap because this one was good and I've remembered drinking some of these that have not been memorable to say the least.

2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a hazy grapefruit like color with a one finger frothy head which gives way to nothing with no lacing. The aroma is of raspberries with a slight floral note, there is really nothing else to smell. The smell is inviting though. The taste is of tart raspberries but it is kinda weak and very subtle. It could stand to be a little more present. There is a hint of a wheat backbone. The carbonation is lighter. The drinkability is okay. There is nothing to dislike but i cant say there is anything to make me want more.

3.27/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer caught my attention because of the name and the pretty cool, retro-looking packaging. Also, I'm all for supporting Louisiana Breweries.

The appearance is a slightly red, or grapefruit color with a medium haze. The head was very light and diminished quite quickly.

The nose on this beer is pretty nice regarding the fruit as raspberry definitely comes through. However, that is all that I picked up as the malt backbone is virtually non-existent.

The taste is light and slightly flabby. I know it's tough to have malt character when producing a fruit beer, but I was definitely hoping for a little more. Their is no bite and the acidity from the fruit is overwhelming. Having one of these is fine, but after that, the acidity can get to you.

Overall, I'm not sure I would pick this up again, but I know some people that may love it. It's certainly drinkable, and would not refuse it when offered one, but not what I'm personally looking for.

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.