Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

Poured into a glass with a pinkish tint, very cloudy (hazy I suppose) but not due to any identifiable yeast. The head is thin with very mild carbonation. Smell is faint, fruity, obvious raspberry. The mouthfeel is horrible, very thin, I wanted it out of my mouth right when it touched my tongue. The taste is fruity but mostly overpowering malty flavor, very little hops. Almost tasted like stale fruity macrobeer. Didn't like it. No sir, not one bit.

baxterbrew, Jun 20, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -14.5%

Ugh fruit beers...maybe we'll be surprised.

Pours a two-finger head that dissipates as quick as it took to pour it. Light rusty color with that unfiltered wheat cloudiness.

I smell wheat and raspberry; an earthy fruitiness gives some hop for the sip to come. Also I found notes of sauteed spinach and seaweed; the earthiness is not so much grassy as it is, well, earthy. Hops must be very light since they barely come through.

It tastes like a standard American Lager had some raspberry syrup added, but not as syrupy as the Sam Adams cherry lambic. The red wheat provides some backbone, but not much. Its yeasty more than hoppy and they could have added a little more wheat to cover up the thin texture of the beer.

Feels like a watered down wheat ale.

I suppose any beer is worth a try, but I don't see myself spending my money on this one anytime soon. Received this sample from a friend.

Really quickly, they should send out some cheaper kegs of this stuff, maybe $75-80 a half-barrel. At a party this stuff would be awsome if it was for a good price and would beat all other kegs priced the same. I don't see too many sparkling reviews for the bottles of this stuff and college chicks could totally get into kegs of this stuff. Just a thought.

tapman, Jun 13, 2007

Pours a slightly pinkish tinge on your standard wheat beer. Nose is strongly raspberry, without much else. Taste is a better mix of raspberry and wheat. Feel is a little thin, but alright. I guess I give it a slight edge because it is uncommon in terms of its raspberry flavor. However, it doesn't really do anything interesting or special with its flavor, so in my mind, it's just average. I guess check out Pynk by Yards, if you want an interesting take on the raspberry flavor.

soupyman10, Jun 03, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -28.3%

A-Cloudy amber, dull 1/4 inch head that settled to a thn coat and collar very quickly. nice lace though

S-Raspberry, not fake but real, suprisingly. Yeast, wheat.

T-Raspberry right up front, followed by a hint of green hops, then yeast and wheat, sour finish.

M-Tingly carbonation with a light to maduim body

D-one is definitly enough

jackorain, Jun 02, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

My twin sister and I both had this on-tap on our recent trip to the Boneyard. the bartender served it to us in chilled pint glasses. I really wish bars would stop doing that! This beer is a sort of pinkish/reddish color. The head is about a finger thick when drawn from the tap. Leaves some decent lacing and a fairly good ring lining the inside of the glass after it settles. The aroma was fruity and wheaty. I could smell some raspberry. The raspberry and wheat are also the dominating flavors. I like raspberry a lot so I was fine with that. Unfortunately there really isn't much else to this beer smell or taste wise. Has a reasonably crisp and full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink in the manner that good beer should be. I wouldn't mind drinking this again, but I do not think I'd go out of my way to track this down either. Worth a try, but I wish there was more character to this beer. It seems to have a lot of potential, but something is missing.

Eric

neenerzig, May 15, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Not purple :( Virtually no head after about 10 seconds (the one finger head dissipates quickly)

S: What smell? A scent that is so faint that it is difficult to know what one is smelling.

T: Not bad, not great. Better than standard keg beers as it is a smooth and light taste, but overall not very eventful.

M: Smooth enough, medium to low carbonation.

D: Super easy to drink because it has almost no taste but is smooth enough to keep the mouth happy.

smcreator, May 13, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -17.5%

Tried this at a beer tasting. It poured a cloudy amber with a pink hue and a thin head. Smelled and tasted somewhat like bubblegum or berry-flavored hard candy. No lasting finish to speak of - though I’m not sure I wanted one. I would not purchase this beer.

rm0312, May 11, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -49.8%

poured a light hazy pinkish color with a one finger white head and some lacing. weak raspberry smell. no wheat malt, weak raspberry taste, watery mouthfeel with little carbonation. it was like drinking a watered down fruit juice. definitely skip this one if your looking for a raspberry wheat beer.

billybob, May 10, 2007
3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

Ugly pinkish purple color, but with a respectable head. The smell is not terrible, very wheaty. Taste is very subtle with the raspberry. I was a little afraid of this when my friend brought it over, because I don't know of a non-Belgian beer that doesn't butcher fruit beers, so the subtlety of the raspberry was welcome. The mouthfeel is okay, but thin, and this is not a beer I would track down for any reason.

jeffjfindley, May 04, 2007
1.6/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I honestly do not see the appeal behind this beer. I know some people love it by I just don't get it.

Appearance: Cloudy

Smell: Smells like mulch and old newspapers

Taste: Tastes like mulch and old newspapers. I hear that it is supposed to taste like raspberries, but I guess they forgot to put those in the bottle I had

Drinkability: Since I don't really enjoy drinking mulch...

Thoroughly unimpressed with this beer. In all honesty, this beer tastes like newspaper which I have tasted before so trust me on that.

darkcarrington, Apr 09, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -58.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date on back label. Had a light grapefruit color with a small bubbly head that quickly went away. The smell was awful. It had the standard Abita skunk base with a sickly fruity smell on top of it. The taste was even worse. Really don't see the appeal or reason for this "beer". There are several fruit beers that I love but this ain't close to being one of em. (1.5, NA, ML, N)

TexIndy, Mar 27, 2007

12 oz. bottle poured into Das Festhaus pint glass.

A: Light, clouded orange/amber, 2 finger head. No retention but the lacing is not bad.

S: Berry aroma and a sourness, possibly of yeast?

T: Same berries and sourness. Very weak, not much flavor.

M: Slightly thin, decent, constant carbonation bubble flow.

D: Not great, not that bad. Somewhat thirst-quenching quality.

guinnessfan, Mar 05, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

Watered down malt and wheat taste though very pungent. Nasty skunky aftertaste. Mouthfeel was overcarbonated. Wasn't a drinkable beer. I had trouble drinking the entire bottle. It had a value macro-lager rather than a flovored wheat beer taste to it.

PittBeerGirl, Mar 05, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap @ Pizza Plant, Walker Center.

Had this on a whim, and I don't regret it. Wispy head, with a purplish-amber color to it.Slight smell of berries and a tartish-berry taste to it. Simple- not overpowering, light, refreshing, enjoyable. I'll have this again for sure.

kpwill07, Feb 27, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

a: light, hazy orange color, frothy head that dissipates to thin layer quickly
s: berries, berries & nothing else highly noticeable
t: wheat flavor with rasperry overtones
m: too much carbonation & very light body
d: not bad, but smells better than it tastes

belgbeerdrinker, Feb 15, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

Holy smokes, first whiff of this and I thought I had an unblended lambic – funky and musty with a pop of raspberry. The pour was better, hazy peachy amber with a sticky, but thin, white head.

Taste? What Taste? This is a fizzy raspberry soda. Funky and thin, this is a waste of time. One and done with this girly beer.

(sorry gals)

Vancer, Feb 15, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +1.5%

Grapefruit-colored pour into a pint glass. Translucent with lots of bubbles rising to meet a thick layer of white head. Aroma is half raspberry / half metallic. Almost reminds me of a sweet tart. Pungent and acidic.

Taste is small on the raspberry/fruity notes; it's wheaty and a bit watered-down. Feels light and not as bubbly as the appearance lets on. No aftertaste, yet very refreshing. As for the drinkability, it has little to no complexity, but it's incredibly easy to drink (in bulk, too, if need be).

wagenvolks, Feb 14, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +22.5%

This poured to a a plum color with a light, lacy body. The little head that it had disappeared quickly. It appeared thin and watery and a bit muddy. There is a hint of tartness and the raspberry flavor is not overwhelming, but subtle. It has nice flavor. It seems to get better with subsequent sips. I wouldn't a lot of these in one session, but the beer is a nice change of pace.

DrinkbythePond, Feb 12, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug. A nice, light amber color with a pinkish head whihc was quite interesting. Okay retention; not too fast but not slow. A very nice, raspberry jam-like smell that was quite appealing and intriguing. The first taste was a little rough on the palette at first (probably due to the tartness of the reaspberries) but settles down to a nice, raspberry tasting brew that it just pleasant and easy-going. Mouthfeel was okay; maybe a little on the thin side, not much to really brag about. The beer, however, is very smooth going down and is pleasant to drink. The fact that it's a raspberry beer makes it a very fun and interesting beer. Haven't had too many fruit/vegetable beers, but this one is quite nice and enjoyable.

maddogruss, Feb 11, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a light golden color, with a tiny shade of pink. A good head with a nice lacing to follow. A light haze, very light, maybe protein haze, but it is hard to distinguish.
Aroma of muddy hops, and slight lemon. I could not for the life of me hint a whiff of raspberry.
Tastes of a very light, lager almost beer. Hard to say that this is a real wheat beer. The raspberry comes through in the mouth, but not very much at all. A light hoppy bitterness to follow. I would prefer it to have just a tad more raspberry to help highlight the fact that this is a wheat beer. A little to filtered as well for wheat. Will make a great summer beer.

sauron681, Feb 11, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -26.2%

This brew is decently carbonated and promotes a wet frothy head that sticks around for a bit and leaves behind a little lacing to the end. The body is only slightly hazy and has a slight purple tint to it. This gives off a very syrupy and slight raspberry aroma. I can detect characters of the yeast too. This brew tastes very watery. I can't really detect the raspberry flavor, except for in the aftertaste. This brew is a bit too wet for my taste, too wet.

TheSarge, Feb 06, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

One of several beers that I got from my brother-in-law, when they had to move. Its funny, because I bought this in a 6 pak a few years ago, during my Miller Lite days, and didnt like it, so I gave it to him. He ended up not drinking it, and now its back to me, which I'm glad, since my taste in beer has radically changed since then. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a light pink/purple color, forming a very slight head, that left very little lacing on the glass. The aroma is all raspberry. If there's anything else there, its covered up. The flavor is very much the same, being dominated by the raspberries, but maybe with a hint of hops in the back. The mouthfeel is light and smooth. Overall, this is a very tasty beer, but not one that I could drink more than one or two of at a time.

beeragent, Feb 05, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Not the typical beer I drink but I thought what the hell. Pour was nothing special. Body was golden with a reddish hue but nothing to make the drinker do a double take. No lacing.

Nose is filled with artificial raspberry. Yeah I know the label implied real raspberries but it sure doesn't smell like it. Nor does it taste like it. Instead it's like guzzling a shot of blue raspberry flavoring at Apu's Quiky Mart.

Even though the mouth is ok I'm in no rush to buy this again.

TheBungyo, Feb 03, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

appearance: creamy orange color, a bit hazy with a small frothy head

smell: malty with a bit of hop

taste: a hint of rasperry flavoring. I this is not a terrible beer, but rather run of the mill for a fruit beer comparred to Magic Hat 9.

Mouthfeel: smooth, generally what you would expect with a wheat beer.

Dirnakbility: good, a decent session beer if you would like.

UDbeernut, Jan 20, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

interesting beer
a: thin head, opique pinkish orange in color...can't see through it...hazy man..
s: fruity....razzberry..but not sweet..
t: razzy...but not sweet...hoppy..maltish..nice with pizza
m: average
d: not bad...not great..just nice.
would get this one again...with food...not a solo beer

harpo111, Jan 12, 2007
Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.