Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
Reviews: 746 | Hads: 2,963
2.54/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance: 1" sudsy head diminishes quickly leaving some lacing. Color is a cloudy golden hue. Aroma: the fruit presence is noticeable and dominates the smell. No detectable hop aroma and just a bit of grass/wheat in the background.
Mouthfeel: watery and somewhat crisp with a semi-dry finish.
Flavor: again the raspberry is the dominate flavor and yields just a little to a sweet malt in the middle and finish with perhaps the slightest hint of hops at the end of the taste.
Overall: decent but not exciting. Not bad, but not great either. (544 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is sort of a deep golden-orange with a violet hue in the recesses. Off the tap, it develops a creamy cap of about half a finger. It is sturdy, standing strong while depositing a mixture of spotting and patching that's itself very creamy.
A mix of tart, sweet and sour, the raspberry is certainly here. It's underneath a grainy malts base. It's kind of a mix of berries and something like green apple, ultimately.
The raspberry flavor is pretty nice, a fairly gentle sweetness not overdone against the tart notes that come off as more natural, backed by malty grains that aren't too grainy, as they are in the nose. A bit of rind and even a hint of some herb-derived spiciness is rounded out by just a hint of leafy bitterness.
It's crisp up front and doesn't fall off too much at the end, though a little. The body is light but verges on being thin, though it avoids that as well. Smoothness is moderate as a touch of dryness sneaks into the finish. (954 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

BBD 01/13/14. Pours a clear light amber with just a touch of purple shading. The bottom of the bottle pour is hazy from pulp. Light head that diminishes in 2 minutes with little lacing. Very light nose of raspberry. Light bodied with some pulp. Normal carbonation level. The weak flavor profile is raspberry, but you have to look for it since there is very little flavor present. The finish has mild effervescence that brings raspberry more forward with a bit of tartness. (472 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm actually pretty embarrassed to admit how much I like Purple Haze.
I understand how many people don't or wouldn't like this beer at all- but it's a good beer for some drinkers.

If you're a beer purist this may or may not be the drink for you; it really doesn't drink like a beer so much as a raspberry-sodapop-wine-beer combination. From the bottle, it's all right- drinkable, pretty good. It smells like raspberries but the taste is disappointing to what you'd expect. Out of curiosity I poured it into a goblet and the raspberry flavors opened up quickly. I probably wouldn't drink it straight from the bottle again. But it's the most wine-like beer I've ever had and that quality is REALLY going to divide people.

Appearance is a pinkish-purpleish-peachish hint. It's a pretty cool shade. It's in an attractive bottle with an attractive purple label. About a one-finger head that disappeared very quickly, as others have noted.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, fizzy. It's pretty refreshing. It's lighter than most beers I drink. I typically much prefer darker, spicier brews. But for this one I make an exception.

Fruit flavors are raspberry (obviously) with lemon zest. It's lightly grainy with little bitterness. Think of it like this- the beer is basically a vehicle for the raspberry. Probably wouldn't drink the beer on its own without it but they do complement each other well.

I only tried this because of my love of Abita, and raspberries. I didn't expect very much when I tried it and was really surprised by how much I like it. In reality, just think about your other preferences. If you don't like fruit beers, raspberries, or the like, you probably wouldn't like this. If you're like me and a raspberry fiend, and like beer, you'd enjoy it. (1,763 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +12.5%

Foamy 1 finger head poured into pint glass from Can

Has a light lager color with no lacing on the glass

Smells like applesauce, don't ask me why, but it does

Taste is slight berry, but I keep getting an overly fizzy tartness with every gulp

I love carbonation, especially in IPA, DIPA's, but this not being an IPA could have had less bubbly

Overall, I have another 23 of these cans to go, and I do enjoy this beer... One of the first Beers that got me into craft/micros. (476 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

Sampled at the brewery in the tasting room before a brewery tour today.

Probably one of the better fruit beers that I've had. You can definitely taste the raspberries and it's a cool purple colour. Interesting and worth a try, but I'm not really big on fruit beers so I probably wouldn't go out of my way for one again. (320 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

This is the perfect beer for lady's who don't like beer. This was one of the first beers I gave my wife. She liked it but now that she has acquired the taste of beer she can't stand it. What makes this beer cool is that it has a fruity essence without a sweet fruit taste. This is a beer I would never drink myself but keep on hand for those inexperienced beer drinkers. (370 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Amber color with a thin head with low retention.
Predominant aroma of raspberries and wheat.
Likewise, flavor of fresh raspberries with herbal and floral hops, pilsner yeast and wheat.
Light body with low carbonation with tiny bubbles and a slightly tart sensation.
If you dig something like a raspberry juice with Pils that may be your beverage choice. Very refreshing. (370 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle was poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Thus beer had a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a hazy orange brew with no vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty laving as the beer was drank.

Smell: Bready wheat malts, sweet raspberry, and a little yeastiness. Not really much else going on.

Taste: Wheaty sweet raspberries and then everything fizzles out. A little bitterness in the rear.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, refreshing, medium to full bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: This could be a nice summer drink. Not for me, but good to try out. Enjoyable brew and easy to drink. (627 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -10.3%

Purple Haze pours a darker reddish color with not much head. There is an aroma with a pale wheat note, and a strange sweetness. The taste is much the same, pale wheat undertones, with a weird strange out of place sweetness from the raspberries. Awkward flavors, and rather too fizzy. Overall its light, fizzy, and way to sweet, and the flavors don't mix that well. (364 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours out a hazy, yellow color with a slight almost pinkish tint. Head retreats to a lasting lace.

S - Fruit and cooked grains.

T - Definite raspberry flavor with malt undertones.

M - Very tangy on the tongue with a sweet finish.

O - For what it is it's a decent beer. I could see drinking these on a hot summer day while working outside. (380 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +25.1%

Appearance - Pink and amber it's kind of a hard color to pin down. Very little head disappated quickly.

Smell - Fairly strong smell of wheat and raspberries.

Taste - Refreshingly light wheat beer with a raspberry after taste. Not particularly tart, which I would prefer, but that may draw other people in. You can taste the pilsner malts in the finish and they are quite good.

Mouth feel - Very light and drinkable. Crisp, finishes clean. Highly carbonated.

Overall - Tasty beer, I taste a lot more of the wheat with a subtle taste of raspberry than it seems a lot of the other reviewers do. This beer would be good on a warm summer day.

Serving type: bottle poured into goblet (683 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

interesting. don't think i'd have another, but i'm glad i gave it a shot.

color - hard to pin down what color this this, a bit like a hefe, with a tinge of pink, but seems a bit murky. hazey. smell is pretty good on the raspberries, seems natural, not something artificial dreamed up by a chemist :)

taste is mild raspberries over lager, a bit too mild for my tastes, but nothing really wrong, imo. mouthfeel is a bit confusing to me, i think i'd like a bit more crispness to enhance the berries. berries come out a bit more as it warms.

worth a try, if only to say you've had something with such an apt name from the 60s. (627 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Good clarity with a purple tint. Head quickly disappears and leaves no lace.

S - Raspberries, tart, yeast, bread grain.

T - Sweet yet tart raspberries, yeast, crackers, bread. Easy drinking - nice carbonation on the mouthfeel.

O - This would be nice enjoyed on a warm summer day - Easy to slam back and the alcohol would make it session able. (349 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -20.4%

Bought from Central Market in a Pick 6.
Poured from bottle into a pint glass.
(Review from notes)

A - Pink grapefruit, small white head, cloudy.

S - Tart raspberry.

T - Raspberry juice.

M - Fizzy like a spritzer with a tart aftertaste.

Summary - To me, this is not a beer. Maybe a raspberry cider or something? It's just got this weird feeling to it, and it's so fizzy. I suppose it isn't a bad drink, but for me, it is a bad beer. I was hoping for a lot more depth than an alcoholic raspberry spritzer. (508 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -30.7%

I did not like this beer. Was at a New Years Eve concert and the selection was not very good. I think I accidentally was thinking it was Hazed and Infused (not wild about it either). I have been disappointed by Purple Haze before, but this one really disappointed me.

It looked okay. A bit of white head on top of an orange-ish liquid. The plastic cup didn't help, but I don't particularly give a shit about the appearance.

It smelled kind of grainy, but little to anything else. Maybe a hint of citrus. Just blah.

It tasted worse than it smelled. There was some sort of fruity flavor, but it didn't strike me as from hops. There was a wee nip of malty flavor and sweetness, but not much. Whatever, it was borderline gross.

Really thin and watery.

I made a really bad choice ordering this beer. It was the only non BMC tap. Later I saw some bottles that would have been better. Unfortunate that it was my last beer of 2013. I will never, ever subject myself to it again. Yuck. (984 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

it was in 1998 i made a trip to the Breau-Bridge area for 2 weeks vacation, relax, eat lots of seafood, tour the sights, listen to local music and sample any wines or beers made locally, We happened across a place called Mullotte's for the evening which offered local cooking and music ..hard to pass up and we were rewarded. Abita makes their ale for them and bottles it under Mulotte's name well that was a start it was very similar to Turbo Dog in flavor another ale they make and glad we had gotten to quaff a few and listen to the local music.
On the way home we stopped by the brewery off I-10 and got the cooks tour of the brewery, only one there and i'm not a newspaper or magazine writer so the folks have sold me on their beer and they are quite good

this is the Purple Haze we are reviewing tonight

served in a malt glass

appearance -pours a hazy amber-orange with 2-3" head which settles quickly
carbonation appears natural and light lacing on the glass when swirled

nose -fruit ,light malt no hops that we can tell

finish- very light rasberry bite at the end in place of traditional hops like a tart Lambic ale

this goes well with the wheat malt and covers up if any, that often odd aftertaste in many weissbeers

alot of thought and effort went into making this and quite good

we had it with seafood this evening , fitting for a Cajun ale (1,365 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +30.4%

Abita Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with fresh raspberries added during secondary fermentation. Subtle coloration, fruity aroma and tartly sweet taste. Some may not care for unfiltered beers, but most would enjoy this anyway as it is still crisp and cleansing. (280 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Peachy color, pink, cloudy, small white head

Smell- Strong raspberry scent, very strong

Taste- Light wheat flavor, subtle raspberry finish

Mouth feel- Light, crisp, light carbonation

Over all - light, easy drinking beer with a light fruit flavor. (265 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +49.2%

I know this seem bias me rating it as high as I did however, this was an excellent beer to me. It had JUST the right ammount of bitternes and flavor. I don't do very strong beers and thats why I liked this one. It was the perfect balance. I have had it both in bottle and on tap. The best part about the bottle is the actual raspberries floating in t. (351 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Overall Not a Bad Fruit Beer @ all,however not a GR8 One either,has a nice smooth,easy drinkability and they slide right down,but just not enough flavor,you know you are drinking a fruit beer 4sure,but it just doesn't quite make the cut ,and falls just a bit short for me,I Like it as a whole...but for almost 10 bucks a 6er,I Can buy much better Fruit Beers for a lot less,if perhaps it was 6~7 bucks a 6er,I would think about buying it again, because Ice Cold on a really Hot day this a is decent really refreshing beer,and the low ABV [4.2] mixed with the lightness of this Brew makes it a gr8 summer time session Beer,it won't fill you up or hammer you into oblivion when it's hot a hell out,maybe this beer is just really priced extra high in my Area [OC Maryland],and thats too bad,because as I said I would buy it again if it was priced a bit less,but it just is not worth 10 bucks a 6er~cheers and Peace to all:) (920 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A-Cloudy yellow orange, not much carbonation one finger head that doesn't last.

S-Skunked almost, very bad wheat/straw notes, no raspberries at all.

T-Like the nose, very bland. Some straw wheat, nut not much. Tad bit of grass and really faint raspberries.

M-Lighter, some carbonation and watery.

O-A poorly executed fruit beer, the only plus side is that nothing was artificial tasting. (391 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours hazy amber with a hint of purple/red and no head.

Faint fruity smell, but unlike the seasonal strawberry, of an indeterminate berry type.

Taste was akin to the strawberry but with a less pleasant, slightly weaker, and less identifiable flavor.

Mouthfeel was was ok and soda poppish. (291 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 1.25

I have seen this beer numerous time and was always curious what it tasted like. It has a great aroma with the subtle smell of blackbeary. I personally wouldn't get again because the taste is bland. It's not that it has a bad taste just doesn't have much of a taste at all. (272 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -25.4%

Once opened you get a light sweet fruity aroma, nothing really impressive.

Taste: taste is that of a really watered down beer, very drinkable, but you really could not tell that raspberries were used. Slight bitterness when it hits the tongue then fades instantly.

Feel: It feels very light in the mouth, minimal carbonation, once again almost water like.

Look: really don't care about this part because even if something looks good, does not mean it tastes good, but for the curious mind... It is a clear pale gold with a slight, ever so slight purple hue,

Overall, nothing to write home to mom about. (606 characters)

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.