Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
Reviews: 751 | Hads: 2,990
3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Appears a glowing, hzay orange with a 1 finger white head that escapes after a minute. Tiny bits of lacing are left behind.
Smell is of soapy water with a slight bit of raspberry candy mixed in.
Taste is of gritty, yeasty wheat and a mild raspberry.
Mouthfeel is chewy with a watery finish.
Drinkability is ok. Two of these is more than enough if there's nothing else around.

It's ok, dog.

4.17/5  rDev +30.7%

Served at just above fridge temperature in a pint glass at Firewaters in Hackensack, NJ.

A: Murky, gold color with a wheat beer haze and a rosy pink cast. The head diminishes almost instantly and the lacing isn't very good. Those two points aside, it's a fairly good looking beer.

S: Light, sweet raspberries. That's about it. Not raspberries as in "sticking your nose into a pint of fresh picked" ones, but rather a light raspberry syrup or concentrate. Not overpowering - which is good for a fruit beer (since many of its peers tend to be over the top fruity). No characteristic wheat beer notes to be found here, but this isn't categorized as a wheat beer (although it is).

T: Refreshing and crisp. The raspberry taste is more of a wispy undertone rather than an in-your-face flavor (which is a very good thing). The organic, natural tasting wheatiness comes through in the middle and finish, adding to it's delicious, light-drinking character.

M: The mouthfeel is active without being fizzy; rolling like sea-foam and smooth. Nice!

D: For the summer, this beer is a simple and smooth drinker. Refreshing and crisp in the taste, and well represented in the mouthfeel. One of the better fruit beers on the market.

3.31/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle from BigLove as part ofThe Blue & Gray BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" bright white head above the slightly cloudy golden brew. Head lasts well, and laces excellently for a fruit beer. Aroma is lightly fruity, with a sweet malty, almost adjuncty tinge to it. Taste is light malts with a crisp fruitiness, and a dry finish. Seems like it would be somewhat thirst-quenching. Mouthfeel is smooth, but the drinkability falls off a bit due to the fruitiness perhaps getting old after a bit.

2.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color with a more opaque cloudy purple haze as the name states. Overall this gives it an amber appearance. The head is not greatly impressive. It is white. There is some lacing and a light thin collar.

Smell: Smells like raspberry and a hint of malt which doesn't go well together but I like the raspberry...so I gave it a favorable score.

Taste: very malty. Can't taste raspberry very much in the first taste unless I breathe across the beer in my mouth or as an aftertaste. It gets progressively stronger as I drink. When the raspberry stands out it is pretty good but even the individual glass seems inconsistent in taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body. heavy carbonation. Maybe a little alcoholic. Dry. A bit of spiciness.

Drinkability: It's not that great. Overall it is pretty average. The only thing I particularly like is the smell...and I commented on its problem. I could drink it, but would pick something else if I had the choice again.

Notes: The raspberry flavor is a little to artificial tasting.

3.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Hazy orange color with some raspberry highlights around the edge of the glass. Head starts off good but then sizzles down to a small lace. Probably a result of the acidity raspberry juice added. The aroma is dominated by raspberry tartness and soft grains. The first thing I notice in the taste is a raspberry tartness, but not over done however. Soft grains follow afterwards and a semi-dry finish. Has a light to medium mouthfeel that is a little acidic. I am not a fan of fruit beers but I must say I enjoy Purple Haze. This is because no flavors are over done or come off as fake.

3.16/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a little carbonation and a thin lace of head. Smell is all raspberries and is pleasant but nothing special. Taste is is quite bland and a little disappointing because it's weaker than the smell. It's a a little dry and could be a little sweeter. Mouthfeel is outstanding. It's perfectly carbonated, slightly dry, and you can actually taste the beer before you even swallow it. Drinkability is only a little average because it has great mouthfeel and smell but the taste is a little disappointing.

2.7/5  rDev -15.4%

This beer pours a light orangish color with a weaker fizzy head. Aroma is cereal grainy and a slight fruity undertone but I couldn't describe what fruit it was. I didn't know this was a raspberry beer until about midway through which shows how subdued the raspberry character was. Much more of a wheat beer than a fruit beer. Fruit seems like syrup and a little artificial but not terribly cloying. Lighter bodied and a little fizzy. Finish is moderately acidic and rather forgetable. I could drink about two of these before getting bored and moving on.

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky orange beer with a slight purple tinge.

No head. Zero. Not even a small ring around the perimeter of the glass.

This beer smells like a raspberry tart. It tastes like a raspberry beer and a fairly good one at that. Tons of carbonation with a very thin mouthfeel.

I could have maybe two of these max in one session.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Memphis. The beer is a nice hazy gold with plum highlites and a decent head and lacing.

The smell was of berries, heather and some malt.

I was surprised I liked this beer as much as I did. It managed to be slightly sweet and slightly bitter at the same time. Some subtle berry taste that seemed to go well with the slightly grainy malt taste. No artificial taste like some fruit beers. It was a nice change of pace after an IPA.

Maybe it was the 95 degree heat outside, but I found this one to be a refreshing easy drinker. I would have no problem having one from time-to-time

2.96/5  rDev -7.2%

Light bodied, hazy orangish color with only the faintest hint of pink/purple and a fast disappearing white head.

Aroma is wheaties with a light raspberry tone. Taste is citrusy grain, light malt with a raspberry flavor coming in the middle and lasting into the aftertaste, definitely not overpowering. Starts slightly sweet, ends up slightly dry and crisp with a bit of floral hops and raspberry.

Drinkable, especially ice cold.

3.62/5  rDev +13.5%

There is a light head to begin with which becomes small islands of thin bubbles, very little lacing and hazy golden color. Smells malty and rasberry. There is very nice tartness from the rasberry that leads into a malty sweet finish, real clean. Medium body with a splash of carbonation - it's very refreshing. I wasn't sure what to expect and I find this a pleasureable beer to drink.
Thanx 4da beer Biglove.

3.26/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked this up from "To Your Health" (Coralville) so I could compare a raspberry wheat I recently made to a commerical example. Poured a two finger pure white head over a very cloudy light dirt rust liquid (I stirred the sediment and poured it in). Smells were limited to raspberry with an acrid quality about it. Taste was smooth and sweet. Cool and nicely raspberry. Raspberry started from the get-go and was a gentle presence throughout. Clove was hidden beneath the raspberry. Aside from that all I could get was a watery flavor and maybe some pear on the tongue. Md light mouthfeel and mild to moderate carbonation. This would be easy drinking on a hot summer day. Nothing to get exceited about, just a pleasant beer.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle with the freshness date notched on the back of the label. Blurb about the brewery on the back.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy gold with just a hint of purple to it. Thin head that leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell: Very light raspberry aroma, with some wheat mixed in.

Taste: Nice tart berry flavor without being overly sweet like many fruit beers. Along with the berry is a nice grain flavor.

Overall impression: Thanks to BigLove for the chance to try this one. Nice light summer brew - good berry flavor without being artificially sweet.

3.8/5  rDev +19.1%

One of my friends came over with a new beer tonight after I had already had quite a rough session of my own, including another new beer. This one was a somewhat dark for a wheat, but still looked the part. The smell was of wheaty malts and rasberry, as was the taste. Nothing exceptional, but merely what the name delivers. Decent, but not something I would likely spend a night with.

3.35/5  rDev +5%

a bit odd in appearence. def. hazy though so they got that right. lightly wheaty in the aroma and sure theres the little fruity notes. taste wise...lightly wheaty and lightly fruity, go figure. balanced yes, just not a very flavorful beer. refreshing as all hell and crisp in the mouth finishing with a well carbonated tingly bite. a good beer for what it is.

3.57/5  rDev +11.9%

Did I even get the right draft sent to me? I had no idea this was a raspberry flavored brew until reading this site. It makes sense with the name (which I really like), but nothing reminded me of similar beers of the style. Definitely disappointed, a bit hoppy on the tongue. Paid $3.50 at the Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta.

4.37/5  rDev +37%

I really like this beer.

Purple Haze is nothing too special, but for what it is, this is an exeptional beer. It is perfect drinking when you want a beer with a fruit flavor, but nothing overpowering.

The rasberry flavor is not strong, but it is ever present in the background.

I got hooked on this when I lived in New Orleans. Friends that I have recommended this to have also become hooked, even non-beer lovers. Girls love it, but it is not a girly beer.

Give it a shot.

3.27/5  rDev +2.5%

Has a limpid amber appearance, head quickly faded away. Cloudy. Nose reminds me of Frankenberry cereal, and the taste keeps continues that theme well. Fairly sweet & fruity, but enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. Malt is hidden well, and no hop flavor exists. Medium-light body.

I admit to not being a fan of non-lambic fruit beers, but this one is slightly better than most I've tried.

2.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Received as a part of the Confederate BIF from BigLove, this beer came is a brown 12 oz. bottle with a psychedelic label. The beer looked cloudy, and fizzy. The head was foamy and left some average lace. The aroma did not emphasize fruit, but instead this smelled more like a yeasty wheat ale with some sour mash. The taste was light with raspberry flavor coming through in a very subtle way. Unfortunately the malt base backing the fruit was very bland and flavorless, which was all the more surprising since the body was not too thin. Hardly any hop presence. I had seen this beer for a while on the shelves and had been avoiding it, since I am not a big fan of fruit beers. This one is not awful, but it won’t change my opinion about the style.

2.65/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer is OK, Sorry ladies but this is a chick's beer. It was recommended to me by a chick and it doesn't do it for me.

It pours kind of a pinky raspberry. (purple?) Not much head to speak of.

It smells and tastes like raspberries. It is too sweet for my taste.
The beer lacked body and it was a bit light for my taste.

I will stick to the Abita Amber, which I think is quite nice.

2.87/5  rDev -10%

Aroma: Almost no aroma to speak of, there is a faint raspberry aroma if you can get in close. The aroma might improve if this beer had been served in a glass more appropriate to the style.

Appearance: A lovely golden tan with a very faint purple color around the edge, which is even more visible during the pour. A careful pour didn't produce any significant head.

Taste: This beer had a faint wheat taste that was most noticeable at the start. A pleasant citrus and raspberry flavor assert themselves in the middle and finish.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer that is smooth with a light crispness.

Overall I was hoping for more from this beer. The promise of a wheat beer combined with raspberries made me look forward to trying it, and the appearance certainly hinted at that. The taste fell a little short. It had a nice raspberry flavor to it, but was lacking in wheat-beer character.

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

I admit, I was drawn to it because my favorite color is purple, my favorite beers are wheats, and my favorite fruit is raspberry. However, this beer fell far short of my expectations.

It was pretty to look at. It had a lovely amber color that was ever so slightly tinged with purple. The effect was almost iridescent. It was quite opaque, as one would expect. The scent was quite slight, and I had to inhale deeply to detect any smell at all. What I did get was feint raspberry.

The taste was quite weak. There was a slight raspberry front that fades in and out through out the beer’s trip across the tongue. A nutty hop finish hits strongly at the end, and a sleight hop taste is present throughout. Although very effervescent, the beer is on the thin side. All in all, a rather hum drum experience.

2.89/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance – This one is a hazy light orange in color with a nice, white head.

Smell – The light American grain is kind of wheatlike. There’s a very faint tart raspberry aroma here as well.

Taste – The grain is a little rough around the edges and leaves a harsh aftertaste, but I enjoyed the raspberry flavor. It didn’t have that overzealous sweetness to it like a lot of flavored beers. It was very tart and authentic, like fresh-picked berries (like black berries, almost).

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied beer had a slightly tart finish.

Drinkability – This wasn’t really that bad of a drinker. It delivered on what it promised, that’s for sure.

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Caramel color and poured up very cloudy with lots of sedement. Big frothy head faded fast. Bland aroma that doesn't really go with flavor. Malty taste quickly gives away to rasberry flavor. I wasn't really impressed with this beer. I was more intrigued by the name. Perhaps it would be better with Jimmy. Probably wouldn't recomend it.

1.96/5  rDev -38.6%

I usually try to be open minded about new beers I try, trying to find positive qualities even in styles I don't particularly care for. But I find it hard to say much positive about this particular brew. I actually thought I received the wrong beer when it arrived at my table, seeing a slightly cloudy liquid, looking like a light pilsner in color (it was dark bar, so they may have been some orange, but certainly nothing purple), and with hardly any head. I gave it a smell just to be sure, and did notice the rasperry. Feeling a bit relieved, I tasted... and tasted again, and was baffled. It tasted as if someone added a small amount of rasperry syrup to a flat Bud Light (a definite corn or rice flavor). I realized before ordering that I wasn't about to receive a fine Belgian lambic. But fruit flavor added to weak-tasting beer just doesn't leave me with anything positive to say.

After reading some positive reviews by others, I'm wondering if I just drank a skunked beer. Maybe I'll pick up a fresh bottle and give it one more try...

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.