Purple Haze - Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Purple Haze Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

lzepplin01, Jan 02, 2014

dorionray, Jan 01, 2014
2.18/5  rDev -32.9%

I did not like this beer. Was at a New Years Eve concert and the selection was not very good. I think I accidentally was thinking it was Hazed and Infused (not wild about it either). I have been disappointed by Purple Haze before, but this one really disappointed me.

It looked okay. A bit of white head on top of an orange-ish liquid. The plastic cup didn't help, but I don't particularly give a shit about the appearance.

It smelled kind of grainy, but little to anything else. Maybe a hint of citrus. Just blah.

It tasted worse than it smelled. There was some sort of fruity flavor, but it didn't strike me as from hops. There was a wee nip of malty flavor and sweetness, but not much. Whatever, it was borderline gross.

Really thin and watery.

I made a really bad choice ordering this beer. It was the only non BMC tap. Later I saw some bottles that would have been better. Unfortunate that it was my last beer of 2013. I will never, ever subject myself to it again. Yuck.

sprucetip, Jan 01, 2014

DennisDullea, Jan 01, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

Capitals82, Dec 31, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

timmy2b, Dec 31, 2013
3.89/5  rDev +19.7%

it was in 1998 i made a trip to the Breau-Bridge area for 2 weeks vacation, relax, eat lots of seafood, tour the sights, listen to local music and sample any wines or beers made locally, We happened across a place called Mullotte's for the evening which offered local cooking and music ..hard to pass up and we were rewarded. Abita makes their ale for them and bottles it under Mulotte's name well that was a start it was very similar to Turbo Dog in flavor another ale they make and glad we had gotten to quaff a few and listen to the local music.
On the way home we stopped by the brewery off I-10 and got the cooks tour of the brewery, only one there and i'm not a newspaper or magazine writer so the folks have sold me on their beer and they are quite good

this is the Purple Haze we are reviewing tonight

served in a malt glass

appearance -pours a hazy amber-orange with 2-3" head which settles quickly
carbonation appears natural and light lacing on the glass when swirled

nose -fruit ,light malt no hops that we can tell

finish- very light rasberry bite at the end in place of traditional hops like a tart Lambic ale

this goes well with the wheat malt and covers up if any, that often odd aftertaste in many weissbeers

alot of thought and effort went into making this and quite good

we had it with seafood this evening , fitting for a Cajun ale

ale1, Dec 31, 2013

csmalley, Dec 14, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

jonaspb, Dec 14, 2013

Averwo, Dec 14, 2013
Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.