1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog - Abita Brewing Co.

25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Strong Ale |  7.00% ABV

Turbodog is the inspiration for this robust dark ale. It is brewed with generous amounts of pale, caramel, and chocolate malts and Willamette hops. Whole natural vanilla beans are added during the aging process.This combination provides a rich body and color with chocolate, vanilla and toffee-like flavor.

(Beer added by: EgadBananas on 09-14-2011)
1.25/5  rDev -66%

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013

bsanrebel, Oct 10, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter.

A:
Pours a cola colored brown with a decent off-white head that recedes down to nothing but leaves nice lacing.

S:
Sweet. Roasted hops.

T:
Very sweet. Very one dimensional. Honestly, the more sips I take the more disgusting this beer gets. There's just no substance here. It tastes like you put a few spoonfuls of sugar into Bud Light.

M:
Decently thick. Feels like carbonated water.

O:
Yuck. This is the best Abita could put out for their 25th Anniversary?

jordanblaskey, Apr 18, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

Pours a HUGE near glass full of pillowy head. Deep brown color with some red notes against the light. A bit of lacing, not as much as expected.

Traditional brown ale with toast, caramel, bread, hints of vanilla, toffee, but this isn't overly intense. I wouldn't mind a bit richer aroma...would really prefer that.

This is really weird stuff. Vanilla is just over powering, we're talking vanilla extra strong at times. The malt or maybe the yeast has a bit of fruity flavors I'm completely confused by this in a brown...or any non fruit beer.

That pillow of head didn't last in the mouth. It hits the middle ground of imperial vs non imperial almost dead middle. A touch of alcohol is present and given the 7% that seems off.

So final verdict...this is hard to explain. Love the bottle work and screen printing...really classy. At 3.99 for a bomber or about 13 a 6 pack equivalent, the price for an anniversary beer seems reasonable. Now I can't recall what turbo dog tastes like...I'm pretty sure I've had, but anyway. The fruity flavors here (I think yeast does this) are way out of line. The vanilla flavor doesn't seem to work either. This beer is way out of line for the style and frankly I didn't enjoy it, and frankly I generally enjoy brown ales.

bobhits, Nov 19, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

JustinMatthew, Sep 12, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours black/brown with a lovely light khaki head.

Nose is grapes and prunes with undertones of root beer that is likely how the vanilla is manifesting itself. More vanilla nose develops as the beer gets air. Nose is very inviting.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery and with little body, if any.

Flavors are dull bitter without character or appeal. Tastes a bit like a lightly burnt black lager. The nose promises - the mouth does not deliver in any respect.

Finish is a dull light pine bitter. No need to try this again.

GRG1313, Oct 16, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

A: pours a deep brown, lets light through. Bone colored head about 1 finger dissipates quickly to a think lacing.

S: malt, a lot of vanilla, not very pleasant.

T: Watery, vanilla, malt. I don't like this at all.

M: a bit of carbonation, medium, not great.

O:I wouldn't buy this again, even at the $5.99 price tag. Big let down.

ediaz, Jul 01, 2012

bertram, Dec 21, 2011

MercenaryChef, Dec 26, 2011

GrindFatherBob, Jan 04, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

P: bomber out of fridge allowed to warm a bit. Served in Cuvee des Jacobins tulip.

A: Deep dark blackish brown with ruby edges in light. Nice tan head, 2 fingers that drops to foamy ring with min lacing.

S: Not a lot here to me. Some faint caramel, maybe breast malt.

T: Again, not the bounty of flavor I'd hoped for. Some caramel sweetness, not much toffee at all. Little pointed dark roast grain. I'm not great at hop recognition but I think I get a little earthy Wilamette spiciness.

M: I love big, sweet bombs with thick moutfeel and this is not one of them. Pretty thin body, more viscosity would have helped make this feel as hefty as I had hoped it would be. Carb level is nice though, helping to tease up a little more caramel flavor.

O: Disappointed mainly. Like I said, I like sweet bombs like Southern Tier makes and this falls way short. Glad I tried it but would not buy again. Also glad the bomber is split with the Mrs. because a full one would bore me by the end.

JRdaSconnie, Jan 31, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - a dark pour, with a sort of diluted claret color against light. A large fluffy mocha head of two fingers. It melts away, leaving a high water mark of lace as well as a few sudsy pockets and slants.

Aroma - has a cereal grain start, some roast and malt coming along with setup, but the cereal element persists. Not as exciting as I'd hoped.

Taste - it's grainy, again with the cereal part of the malt dominating. A hint of vanilla but not enough to include in the name of the beer. I'm disappointed that this beer is coming through with mostly grain and little vanilla. Not much development on the swallow and follow through other than some mild abv heat.

Mouthfeel - I like the smoothness here, the moderate crispness and body are fine.

Drinkability - okay, but a miss for me. Maybe some barreling would have been a good idea for a vanilla brew. You're only 25 once...

brewdlyhooked13, Jan 16, 2012

sparx1100, Jun 07, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Abita Vanilla DoubleDog, bottle bought at The Wine Thief in New Haven, Connecticut, for some five bucks.

Appearance: The DoubleDog goes down with a thick pour, producing two fingers of fluffy, solid head with lotsa bubbles and Pat Steir-like lacing. Looks pretty good.

Smell: Fail. Some sugar, vanilla powder, cheap chocolate. That's about it.

Taste: A little better, with a more pronounced chocolate profile and an alright (but artificial) vanilla finish. Some faint roastiness around, and a milky taste. Reminds me of the milk stout my homebrewing friend gave me.

Mouthfeel: Thin, thin, thin. Did I say THIN? Watery and unimpressive. Two sips and I knew I wouldn't love this.

Overall: Very average indeed. There is a reason why I never drink Abita!! I'm full of a beer I didn't really enjoyed. I call bull on this.

DoubleSimcoe, Oct 10, 2011

Herky21, Mar 13, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured into a snifter from a bomber.

A - Dark ruby brown. Full head that dissipated quite quickly. A little lacing, but not much.

S - Sweet malts. Molasses. I don't get the vanilla much, but it does smell a bit decadent.

T - A bit of sweetness rounds out a light and delicate malt. Toasted almonds, molasses, raisins.

M - Thin. Quite a bit thinner than I would have imagined for the style. Drinkable for the style. Otherwise, it's OK.

D - Imagine Yeti as a lager. Certainly drinkable, but it's nothing special as the $5.00 bomber implied. Meh.

jmunsters, Oct 14, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance- Very dark brown with an amber hue at the bottom of the glass. One finger of tan head. Great looking beer.

Smell- Very pedestrian...almost no scent at all.

Taste- Bitter chocolate and toffee, just as the bottle claims.

Mouthfeel- Great coating, kinda like Guiness, but a bit thinner.

Overall- A drinkable beer...A huge letdown for a 25th anniversary beer. This is a one-time affair for me.

frenchblood21, Dec 27, 2011
25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog from Abita Brewing Co.