25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog - Abita Brewing Co.

25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Strong Ale |  7.00% ABV

Turbodog is the inspiration for this robust dark ale. It is brewed with generous amounts of pale, caramel, and chocolate malts and Willamette hops. Whole natural vanilla beans are added during the aging process.This combination provides a rich body and color with chocolate, vanilla and toffee-like flavor.

(Beer added by: EgadBananas on 09-14-2011)
ginemesis

A - Has the color of a dark brown. Head is rather light in color though, and disappeared quickly.
S - Smells of vanilla, chocolate. Roasted scent.
T - Tastes of toffee, vanilla, coffee, a slight bourbon flavor. Quite sweet. Almost tastes like candy
M - Lightly syrupy, heavy. Rather smooth in the finish, though.
O - Was quite good for a small 3oz pour, more might be a bit overboard due to sweetness.

12-01-2011 01:42:34 | More by ginemesis
alwaysanswerb

11-30-2011 09:04:30 | More by alwaysanswerb
negroobserver

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

A... Dark. Same as a standard brown ale. Pours about an inch of cream or cappuccino colored head.

S... Light hoppy scent with a faint vanilla aroma. Nutty. Malty.

T... Malty. Prominent vanilla flavor. Flat in the middle. Sweet near the back end. Finishes with a light lingering bitterness.

M... Smooth texture and body. Sticks to the tongue, so that first sip is important. Let it linger. no hoppy bite.

O... A nice enjoyable beer. Nothing to rave about, but I like it. Wish the vanilla was a bit more subtle, but it doesn't hurt the beer at all.

11-30-2011 04:36:18 | More by negroobserver
Hophead717

Appropriately enough, this is my 25th review!

A bomber poured into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: Very dark, a few shades shy of black with a 1.5 finger head. There's a fair amount of lacing and a bit of the head stays with the beer throughout.

S: Burnt malt and lots of vanilla upfront. I think I detect a touch of cocoa too. Fairly sweet smelling.

T: Burnt malt upfront...almost with hints of coffee that reminds me of a stout. None of the cocoa detected in the nose, and there's not a lot of vanilla flavor actually. As the beer comes to room temperature, the vanilla shines a bit more. Unfortunately, the vanilla seems to be closer to the artificial flavoring rather than the natural extract, which is majorally disappointing. Overall, there's something a little weird going on in the back of the sip. Not too great. I'll give this a low 3.

M: Medium body-maybe a little thin through the finish. Good carbonation.

O: Disappointing overall, but at least this was an affordable anniversary beer.

11-30-2011 03:28:51 | More by Hophead717
Dizbro21

Connecticut

11-30-2011 02:43:29 | More by Dizbro21
Naugros

I haven't been fond of the two or three Abita offerings I've tried, but my brother claims I haven't tried the good ones. One he tells me that is good is TurboDog, so I got this thinking it should be even better. And I have to say that I really enjoyed this beer. Cocoa, vanillin, oak and dark fruits combine nicely in the nose and the taste. The taste comes off with more roast to the cocoa and a creamier flavor...creamy can also be used to describe the body. What's odd about this beer is that aftertaste lingers on the tip of the tongue. It's almost as if you dipped your tongue tip in vanilla extract. Odd yes, but not off-putting.

Based on this I will be giving more chances to Abita and may pick up their holiday brew. Dunno, I'll wait to see what my brother says about it first.

11-30-2011 01:29:04 | More by Naugros
csiewert

Oregon

11-29-2011 19:48:59 | More by csiewert
tigg924

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: 1 inch head, moderate carbonation, dark brown in color, opaque

Smell: roasted malt and cream

Taste: roasted malt at the start, vanilla that comes in the middle and a creaminess at the end

Mouthfeel: sweetish with a slightly bitter backbone, moderate carbonation, medium-light bodied

Overall: I liked this beer. It was more of a clean, fun and playful take for a 25th anniversary beer as opposed to a big high abv bomb. The vanilla really comes out as the beer warms. I would certainly get this again.

11-29-2011 17:21:46 | More by tigg924
Shagtastic

Indiana

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A: Darker than usual for a brown with a little head that actually held for awhile.

S: Lots of vanilla on this and I get traces of nuts in the background.

T: I'm really enjoying the strong vanilla in this one. Usually I'm not a fan of browns but the strong vanilla masks some of the usual faults.

M: Love the amount of carbonation on this and alcohol is no issue at all. Very high drinkability

O: I love this brewery so I had to try it when it became available. This was just a fun beer all around and thoroughly enjoyed on a chilly night in Indy

11-29-2011 02:54:54 | More by Shagtastic

RyanBeer13

11-24-2011 14:41:24 | More by RyanBeer13
elNopalero

2.98/5  rDev -19%

Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. This is very vanilla but pretty much one-note about it. Smells like vanilla. Tastes like vanilla. Finishes… yup, vanilla. Well, vanilla extract more than the actual seed pod. Specifically, the cheap kind of extract, thinned with alcohol and water. Mix with a brown ale and I imagine you’d find something akin to this beer. Perhaps vanilla doesn’t play well with beers? Or it’s just my personal tastes preferences? Or maybe I haven’t found the right vanilla-beer combination, because this one just didn’t work for me.

11-23-2011 08:47:45 | More by elNopalero
Namarsha82

11-22-2011 16:26:59 | More by Namarsha82
zaphodchak

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Generous two-finger tan head, good lacing, good retention. Hazy black body.

Smells like faintly sour malt with a trace of vanilla. The vanilla starts to come out as it sits.

Taste is very much like cream soda, or vanilla brown ale. It doesn't beat you over the head with it, and I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't supposed to be a stout (despite the vanilla moniker).

Mouthfeel is unfortunately bright and carby, kinda foamy, like soda. This does no favors for the flavor, and there's a sort of steely tang because of it.

Well, I wasn't sure what to expect. I saw vanilla, so I immediately think stout, but it isn't one, so where do I go from there? It's on the same level as Turbodog, that is to say, decent. It's also crazy cheap for being an anniversary edition and using primo ingredients. That said, I'm probably not going to buy any more, but I may try and age the other bottle I have for a year to see what that may do to it. Few actual complaints, but it's not a real knockout either. Definitely a good deal though, and worth a try.

NB: This improves in all aspects slightly as it warms.

11-22-2011 01:31:32 | More by zaphodchak
brandon911

11-22-2011 01:22:38 | More by brandon911
ummswimmin

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

A friend of mine shared this with me to enjoy while watching my Oregon Ducks beat the Cardinal.

I poured this into a pint glass, and I got a couple fingers of foam. It came out as a dark brown.

This beer has a nutty smell, along with caramel and some roastiness.

I taste some malt and a decent presence of vanilla. There was also some bitterness, but it was not overwhelming. I even got some good cocoa notes from chocolate malts.

Overall, this has a good balance. It was a pretty decent beer; not world changing, but pretty good.

11-22-2011 00:17:40 | More by ummswimmin
Duff27

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

11-20-2011 22:58:37 | More by Duff27
MLasoski

11-20-2011 18:08:02 | More by MLasoski
Bung

3.68/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. Solid brown pour, nice frothy off white head. Retains ok.

Aroma, pretty heavy vanilla with some earthy malt, caramel and chocolate.

Taste, Vanilla and caramel dominate, less malt and chocolate. There are some yeast notes, but the earthy and hop notes one might expect are abscent.

Lighter side of mid bodied, goes down easy enough. Not quite cloying but a bit on the sweet side. Really no alcohol presence to speak of.

Overall maybe a little sweet, but really not bad. Probably the most enjoyable brew I've had from them.

11-20-2011 06:10:12 | More by Bung
BellsFan

11-20-2011 02:14:20 | More by BellsFan
bobhits

Kentucky

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

Pours a HUGE near glass full of pillowy head. Deep brown color with some red notes against the light. A bit of lacing, not as much as expected.

Traditional brown ale with toast, caramel, bread, hints of vanilla, toffee, but this isn't overly intense. I wouldn't mind a bit richer aroma...would really prefer that.

This is really weird stuff. Vanilla is just over powering, we're talking vanilla extra strong at times. The malt or maybe the yeast has a bit of fruity flavors I'm completely confused by this in a brown...or any non fruit beer.

That pillow of head didn't last in the mouth. It hits the middle ground of imperial vs non imperial almost dead middle. A touch of alcohol is present and given the 7% that seems off.

So final verdict...this is hard to explain. Love the bottle work and screen printing...really classy. At 3.99 for a bomber or about 13 a 6 pack equivalent, the price for an anniversary beer seems reasonable. Now I can't recall what turbo dog tastes like...I'm pretty sure I've had, but anyway. The fruity flavors here (I think yeast does this) are way out of line. The vanilla flavor doesn't seem to work either. This beer is way out of line for the style and frankly I didn't enjoy it, and frankly I generally enjoy brown ales.

11-19-2011 16:29:12 | More by bobhits
JupiterJesus

11-19-2011 02:45:00 | More by JupiterJesus
25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog from Abita Brewing Co.