Christmas Ale 2011 - Abita Brewing Co.

Christmas Ale 2011Christmas Ale 2011

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 11-06-2011

Christmas Ale (November - December) rounds out our calendar. Generally, this beer is a dark ale, however, the recipe changes each year, offering a unique product crafted with special care. Enjoy your holidays with Abita Christmas Ale.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.27/5  rDev +33%

Today is my Christmas in July! I am emptying out my backlog of bottles and this just surfaced in the inventory. Cheers!

From the bottle: "Each year at the Abita Brewery we craft a special dark ale for the holiday season. Each year the recipe changes so that Abita Christmas Ale is always the perfect gift."

My pour achieved a finger of fizzing tawny head that quickly fizzed its way out of existence. Color was a deep reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled minty, wintergreen with a hint of chocolate. I was put in mind of a Girl Scouts Thin Mint or a Peppermint Patty. Nice. Mouthfeel was medium and it really tasted like a liquid G. S. Thin Mint! Man, I was digging that. Finish was semi-dry and again, the Thin Mint comparison held up. Happy Christmas in July! (778 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +37.4%

A: The color of this beer is dark brown with hints of red, similar to a stained rosewood table. Unfortunately there is no real head on this at all. Despite the opacity of its color, there is no haze or turbidity. No lacing to speak of.

S: Wow, I really get a punch in the face with hops. I know that this style is very open to interpretation, but it is clear that they've taken the AIPA approach on this one! I pick up very strong resinous and pine-like hops. It literally smells like a fresh bag of opened hops, and I don't think I can make it any clearer than that. I don't pick up any spice, which I'm still on the fence about. I know that Christmas ales usually have spice additives.

T: I get a very earthy flavor from this. It has a kind of oak flavor, backed by the very strong hop flavor of pine and resin. It tastes almost exactly as it smells. There is considerable bitterness, but it is not overwhelming. It's nearly perfect.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty good. I think that it could be carbonated a bit more. It has a very solid presence in the mouth, but it doesn't really dance like I feel it should.

O: Overall I thought this was a very good beer. If you're looking for something with holiday spice, this is not it. To me this is more of a "winter warmer" which is perfect for the holidays. IPA fans will be thrilled. I am definitely satisfied with this beer. (1,374 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Christmas Ale 2011 from Abita Brewing Co.