Wheat - Abita Brewing Co.

WheatWheat

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Wheat (May – September) German brewers discovered centuries ago that the addition of wheat produces a distinctively light, refreshing beer. Unlike traditional German wheat beers produced by other breweries, Abita Wheat is a lager, not an ale, and contains a generous amount of wheat which produces a clean, simple flavor.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-10-2002)
Reviews by DavidRose:

DavidRose, Dec 05, 2012

SmellsofMahagony, Apr 12, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +19.9%

Presentation: 12 oz brown short with a freshness date marked on back.

Appearance: Clear pale golden with a wispy white lace.

Smell: Clean aroma of malt sweetness and a little spicy hop.

Taste: The spicy hop bitterness and flavour rides the tail of the crisp carbonation and grain. Then the malt sweetness and soft wheat flavour kicks in with still more lingering spicy hop flavour. The after taste cleans up with some fading grain and hop.

Notes: This is an awesome American Wheat! It is fermented with a German lager yeast which contributes to this brew being so clean. A better summer seasonal than those lemon zested wheat brews, one of the top picks for a summer time brew.

Jason, Apr 10, 2002

Appearance: 1/3 head, moderate carbonation, gold in color, clear

Smell: grain, adjunct, light wheat

Taste: grain, adjunct, light wheat--has a little bit of their Restoration Pale Ale taste

Mouthfeel: sweet with slight bitterness, medium carbonation, light bodied

Overall: In a bizarre world, I have been seeking this beer out for a while and am happy to have found it. This is a sessionable adjunct lager that reminds me of a combination between their gold and restoration pale ale. I could have several of these especially on a warmer day. If I was not grading to style, this would be closer to a 3.5. However, I would turn to this over the BMCs and other adjunct lagers of the world. Of all of Abita's beers, I would not seek this out, but I would not pass on it either.

tigg924, Dec 26, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours golden yellow, somewhat hazy, but relativly clear for a wheat beer. White head dissipates quickly.Smells grainy, and I smell wheat. Maybe a little hops. No yeast aroma as a wheat beer normally would have. Taste matches aroma with a nice hop bite in the finish. Very crisp and clean, I suppose that comes from them using a lager yeast. Mouthfeel is pretty thin, I guess I could drink a few of these, but I don't think I'd want to. Wish this had a little more of everything, aroma, flavor, mothfeel...

Dizzy, Aug 02, 2006

WVbeergeek, Mar 22, 2014

LXIXME, May 04, 2014

ste5venla, Jun 20, 2013

JamesStreet, May 10, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz bottle into pint glass.
A: The white head pours with an eruption and holds a nice head, body is a bit on the light lemon, yellow side and missing the needed haze for a perfect representation for this style.
S: A bit on the back burner, but these flavors are all there for this APW. A nice nose of clove and banana, with hints of summertime citrus.
T/M: A short mouthfeel of a clean, German style Hefe. Just as the nose suggests, a clean, clove and banana notes, with a hint of wheat. Still sitting on the back burner, these subtle flavors do represent a good rendition of the style.
D: Good brew, maybe the best of the Abita brew I have had thus far. I still do think that I would seek another APW out than this, but none the less a quality brew.

GDBEERMAN, Aug 20, 2010

fiedler84, Jan 09, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +19%

A: Light golden color. Not much of a head. Head develops but goes away quickly.

S: Mild aroma of malt and wheat. Plenty of citrus.

T: Crisp, Wheaty. Mild flavor of hops with a wheat and citrus finish that is subtle but very pleasant and noticeable.

M: Very clean.

D: Goes down easy and is easy on the stomach. I could drink this all day if I had to.

I've had better wheat beers but this is a solid choice from a solid brewery.

Prideinnola, Jul 19, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +18.4%

Quick review - almost a light beer, very sessionable, excellent summer option.

I had a keg of this for a party and a boil (CO2 driven - no handpump/oxygen), along with the Abita Doppelbock. Even pouring it my way (the hard way), the head is medium to light (an inch if you really try). The head dissipates rather quickly, leaving a thin layer of foam stuck to the sides of the glass. The beer is just on the god side of yellow.

Smelling it, I get full on wheaty, grainy smell. It's a fresh smell. I can smell no hop in this beer (that's not a problem to me, just a clarification).

The taste is very light. It comes across extremely sessionable. I wish it was a little heavier, but that's probably not what Abita is going for as this is their summer seasonal. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for the flavor, but still at about a medium on my scale with no fizziness.

As I stated, I had this beer for a party and a boil along with a keg of Abita Doppelbock. I picked this up because I think it's a good beer, it is one of my fiancé's favorites, and there's no way in hell I was going with B/M/C light. This was my light alternative. My step-dad who takes the silver bullet intravenously was drinking this beer. My uncle whose taste buds somehow started hating yeast a few years back was drinking this. Obviously it was a hit with some.

TeeCee, May 27, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Poured a light hazed golden yellow color...almost a light apple juice color. Half finger white head shows no retention and dies quickly. No lacing at all.

S- Light wheat notes in the front. Tons of cereal grainy scents...sweet alcohol in the backing. Some light earthy hops in the backing as well.

T- Grassy hops come into play first with some grainy cereal bill showing through. The middle has light bready malts that hint for a second. The wheat comes through in the end but only for a second and in a very light tone. The cereal grains and light hops dominate most of the flavor profile.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high for the style but not the beer. This beer has a ton of cereal grains left on the palate with a stale grassy hops in the aftertaste with a touch of alcohol. Flavors are crisp and clean. No alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer is drinkable but not to the style I think. This reminds me of a slightly better adjunct lager more so than a wheat beer. Abita is a hit and miss with me. I could have no problem drinking a sixer of this as the ABV is low but wouldn't want to.

alleykatking, Sep 30, 2010

corrrance, Feb 22, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Pours out a clear golden with some lively carbonation rising up the glass and a thin ring of settled white head. Nose is really faint and light. Some soft malts and spicy hops are present. Taste, again, is rather tame, but is certainly stronger than the smell. Light, crackery wheat mixes with pale malts and some grassy, earthy hops. I wish the flavors would be slightly stronger, but I really like the idea of a wheat lager. Reminds me of a tame pilsner that is lightened up with some wheat. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing with tingling bubbles. This is nice on a hot and muggy day in Louisiana.

goochpunch, Aug 18, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -11.7%

I had the Abita Wheat served from the tap and poured into a goblet at Deanie's Seafood in the French Quarter. It was served too cold. The appearance is light golden with a thin white head. There's almost no smell, just a hint of yeast. It tastes of wheat & yeast. Mouthfeel is fairly crisp, but it's a little watery. This is a so-so beer that is refreshing but needs to be served at an appropriate temperature.

theghost3, Jun 12, 2008

BeerFMAndy, Aug 17, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Pale straw color and perfect clarity, as usual with Abita. Head was 3 fingers (thanks to an inverted pour into a hefe glass), bright white and left tons of lace behind

Plenty of bready malts, some musk, light sweetness. It's crisp smelling for sure.

Bready, sweet malts, very light hops. Maybe a hint of yeast spice. Overall a bit on the lighter side.

Nice crisp clean bubbly feel to it, goes does easy and smooth, nicely lighter in body. Rather refreshing on a hot day.

This doesn't wow in any way, and it's pretty run of the mill, but damn if it isn't hella refreshing on a hot day while fishing.

EgadBananas, Jun 05, 2011

Snowrs, Mar 31, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Abita Wheat drops in the glass with an odd dull yellow. It is surprisingly clear for a wheat beer but still just an ordinary yellow. The head was there, I turned around to throw the bottle away, when I looked back it was gone...huh? The nose is very soft and subtle with just barely a hint of bread. I would call this wheat beer the wonder bread of wheat beers. Everyone likes it but it doesn't compete with Grandma's homemade Sunday loaves. The taste is just plain and kind of boring but it's really, really easy to drink and goes with anything.

claybeer, Aug 13, 2010

Abita Wheat has a medium, white head, which quickly dissipates, and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is low to moderate. The aroma is of bread, with a sharp hop note. I found the taste to be very bready, but the hops balanced it out, and were stronger and more bitter than expected. This beer has lots of body. Mouth-feel is medium, and Abita Wheat finishes refreshing, light, and mild, but not dull. I really liked this and found it better than I expected and better than many other wheat beers I have sampled.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Sep 11, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Deep yellow, amazing carbonation streams. Which are a sight to behold in themselves. Quite impressive, thick and constantly flowing, and moving fast, real fast. Small head, yet decent retention.

S - Wheat and light malt.

T - Light malt and wheat blend together in perfect fashion. Not complex, just refreshing and well balanced. Finishes dry and crisp.

An excellent summer quencher, and one of the better wheat beers I've tried in a while.

HoustonTX, Jul 31, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Translucent yellow-orange, not much carbonation or head, clears up as it warms until you can see through it.

S-Bland, boring, some wheat. Some skunkiness.

T-Wheat, tad bit of grass, not bitterness, not much in the way of flavor either.

M-Light, not carbonation at all, watery to boot.

O-Not sure why I picked up a bottle of this. It was worth the try, although I'm starting to doubt why I ever try an Abita beer.

rlee1390, Oct 27, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -4.2%

A BotMC selection.

This isn't a bad beer, but it doesn't have anything that stands out. The bottle description indicates "light and refreshing lager" and "the perfect brew for escaping the summer heat". Is it a great beer? No. But is it a light and refreshing summer beer? Yes.

A: Golden yellow. Holds a slight head. Nearly clear, a hint of cloudiness.

S: Weak, slightly citrus.

T: A bit sharp, somewhat acidic. Mild citrus. Overall a fairly weak tasting beer.

M: Light and carbonated.

D: Have to give it great marks here. They have hit the mark on an easy drinking summer beer.

So, my rating on this one is rather low, but I think they achieved what they were aiming for. I'd say it's a great beer for drinking while mowing the lawn.

FishMan123, Oct 18, 2010
Wheat from Abita Brewing Co.