Hog Heaven Barley Wine - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Barleywine |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-05-2002

This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficianados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

Repeated pours from a bomber into a La Chouffe tulip.

Pours a see-thru deep reddish amber with massive frothy 3-finger off-white head that settles down a ring and some clumpy islands of foam. Nice thick lacing up at the top where the initial head recedes, but spotty down below.

Unsure of vintage since the bottle isn't dated, but based on the huge hop nose, I'll have to assume it's pretty young. Very much like a piney DIPA with a healthy malt backbone.

Tastes pretty much like a DIPA as well. A bit of sweet citrus up front, but that immediately yields to a big dose of resiny pine. A moderate amount of sweetness allows the hops to shine. A bit of earthy/woodsy qualities toward the swallow. The sweetness dries out at the finish, with some toasted/biscuity flavors and a bit of booze lingering.

Overall impression: Probably a good candidate for cellaring (and I may pick up a few bottles to experiment), but damned tasty in all its hoppy glory right now. My guess is this may be kinda like Bigfoot- great fresh, very nice after a few, but awkward in between. What I love about Avery is that they aren't afraid to throw a few extra hops into the kettle.

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

From a cask at the Avery Tap Room in late January

I had not been to the brewery in about 3 years and decided to make the trip out to Boulder after skiing in Breckenridge. First I had to take the wife to see the millions of prarie dogs that are all over the eastern part of town.

This is by far the best beer I have tasted over the last 12 months.

A-hazy orange juice

S-hop bomb

T-a total hop bomb with a great malt backbone. This one could be a DIPA just as easily as a Barleywine

M-the malts give this a great mouthfeel

D-I had a couple of these and I could have had a couple more without any palate fatigue. I even followed it up with a Dugana and was still impressed with the cask freshness.

OK-now the review of the Hog Heaven in a bomber from 2005

Appearance-truly a ruby dark barleywine with blackened yeast sediment

Smell-wine/sherry

Taste-vinous with a little malt backbone. After tasting this I took an inventory of all the old barleywines I had on hand. i think I need to drink up everything that is more than 2 years old. I don't think I'm a big fan of the wine aspects of older barleywines

Mouthfeel-thin, hot

Drinkability-a little goes a long way

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Avery Hog Heaven purchased at Boo's in Columbus Ga.
appearance: Beauty. Garnet with a full whitish head.
smell: Hop monster. Piney, citrusy.
taste: Lots o hops but bitterness is curbed with a sweet malty finish.
Another wonderful brew from Avery. Is this is Barleywine or a DIPA or some combo

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle poured into my imperial pint glass.

A- Amber / brownish orange in color. Pours a off white sudsy head that's 2'' in thickness. The head slowly descends. There is an abbundance of lacing left on my glass.

S- Sweetness, caramel,citrus, pine and hops. Alcohol is there also but not to overwhelming.

T- I get the caramel and the sweetness right off the bat. Then the citus comes into play. I'm thinking oranges or grapefruit. The hops play off the sweetness in the beer and it provides a pretty good balance. The alcohol is def there but it's not overpowering.

M- Nicely coats my pallet. This brew seems to really stick around after every drink. I get a decent burn from the alcohol, but not in a bad way.

D- I could go for another one for sure. However, I don't think I would do more then two. I would really suggest this one if you haven't given it a shot. Gtreid said he's been aging one for three years. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a clear glass snifter. No freshness date but consumed fresh. Purchased at Market Street Wineshop (Charlottesville, VA) for $7.99.

A: Crisp amber with superb 2-finger foamy beige head with good retention and substantial lacing.

S: Piercing herbal, earthy hops dominates with accents of pine and orange. Maltiness is muted but contributes caramel, butter, and biscuit aromas. Alcohol is pretty strong too.

T: Hoppiness is king with herbal, woody hops with hefty orange flavors playing off a thick maltiness which provide more than token sweetness. Alcohol is strong and provides a berry, fruity quality. Strong, but I think some time in the cellar would bring more malt complexity.

M: Thick coating feel is excellent with good viscosity and predictably low carbonation.

D: A really good hoppy American barleywine with a strong but complementary alcohol component that I think will improve with some cellaring time.

2009 Avery Hog Heaven Barleywine
This has lost something without gaining much aside from smoothness and decreased alcohol presence. The hoppiness of this very good fresh hoppy barleywine has predictably faded but retains its herbal, woody character to some degree. The maltiness has not come up to meet the hops deficit in any way -- it is a bit thin and mealy with no real complexity. The alcohol burn has decreased and because of the blandness it is smoother. A year hasn't helped this very good fresh brew at all. I plan to try it fresh, at 6 months down the road, or at 2 years.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle.

Golden red color with a medium off white head on it. Seems like the head has retained itself for a good amount of time. The first scent I pick up is sweet citrus followed by a balanced malt and caramel. It smells quite a bit more hoppy than a typical barley wine. The first thing I taste is the sweetness from the malt and then comes the pine and citrus. I really enjoyed the transition from sweet to bitter in this beer. Just when you think sweet barley wine, you get hit with hops at the end. It's very drinkable and smooth. I'd pick it up again just for the sheer fact that I like the hoppy goodness that you don't usually get with a typical barley wine.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Another label feeling the need to proclaim apparently hitting the 100 IBU benchmark...

This bomber pours a clear dark ruby colour, with two fingers of foamy, creamy ecru head, which leaves spaced webbed lace around the glass as it recedes. It smells strongly of grapefruit and pine hops, and light caramel/toffee malt. The taste is more grapefruit and other bitter citrus, an understated caramel malt, and mild warming alcohol. The carbonation is quite low, the body heavy, oily, slick, and smooth, and it finishes off-dry, the caramel sweetness popping back up to counter the persistent tangy citric bitterness.

An excellent Yankee Barleywine, but that's the hophead in me talking, 100 IBUs FTW! This is very much more akin to a big DIPA, an example of the blurring in practice of the two theoretically distinct styles.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

22 oz bottle.

Appearance: Golden-copper with just the slightest haze. White, puffy head with pretty surprising retention, and thick sticky lace. Looks great in my snifter.

Smell: Sweet, candied citrus hops and big sweet malt. Hops are orange and grapefruit. Caramelly malt. This is this years bottle and is very hop-forward. This is not unlike a DIPA. Not as richly malty as my favorite barleywines, but damn good.

Taste: Again, more like an overly sweet DIPA than a big, malty barleywine. Same general flavors as I smelled. Pretty high bitterness, but its not harsh and is fairly well balanced. Very tasty, but not barleywine-y enough.

Mouthfeel: Big and sticky. Resiny coating. Very nice.

Drinkability: I really like this beer. I think I'll buy another and put some serious age on it. Really tasty, hoppy American BW.

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Caramel orange body sits with an ever so slight haze. The body just glows when held to the light. Moderate pour produced a full three finger eggshell colored head. There is no hurry in the head receding. Gobs of sticky lacing cling to the side of the tulip. Very impressive looking Barleywine.

Bottle does not indicate age though I imagine we are sitting at about a year old but the surrounding stock at the place of purchase. The aroma also indicates this is not a fresh bottle. While the hops are not fresh they are still very aromatic. Strong grapefruit smells dominate the nose. Sweet caramel malt set just behind. The more the beer warms the richer the caramel becomes.

Rich caramel malt and plenty of of it pours across the tongue. Super sweet while stopping just short of syrupy and cloying. Hops still manage to hold up well with age and pack a surprising punch. Pithy citrus and slight piny bite provide a balancing bitterness.

Medium body with low to moderate carbonation. Drinks very smooth with a rather chewy texture. Flavor sticks to the palate and lingers for quite some time.

Very easy to drink and the alcohol is hidden remarkably well. The only draw back I find is the slightly over the top caramel malt. Fresher bottles would probably suit my taste better. None the less this is a very good Barleywine. I would pick this up again though is not the first I would go to.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured a 3 finger head. Very thick lacing left. Very good head retention. A rich chestnut brown color. Very nice color.

S. Big smells of piney hops combined with blasts of caramel malt. Smell like a barley wine should smell. Some alcohol.

T. Big blast of piney/citrus hops. The caramel malt might just win out over the hops though, to make this a pretty sweet barleywine. Hop bitterness comes out more than individual hop flavors do. More hoppy than some other barleywines which is fine for my tastes.

M. Full bodied. Lingering sweetness. Very smooth barleywine. Not much heat detected on this one.

D. Very drinkable. Avery's big beers tend to taste similar to me, and I am a fan. Hog Heaven is no exception. Not the very best Barleywine, but this is a very good beer.

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer, which is dark amber orange and clear, has a thick off-white foam that leaves lots of lacing.

The smell is full of floral and citric hops, some malty sweetness as well.

Taste is dominated by the hops, lots of fruit and flowers, some sweet dried fruits. The rather high alcohol content is fully covered by the bitterness.

A good carbonation gives a fresh, yet creamy mouth feel.

This beer is truly dominated by hops, much more in the typical american DIPA style than in a barley wine. That does not make it a worse beer! Rather one of the better IMHO ...

3.71/5  rDev -6.1%

Served from a cask into a goblet. The cask was tapped the night before. I ordered some the next day for a late lunch. The bartender did not know whether any beer remained in the cask. She gave the cask a few pulls, and a lot of foam came out. Then she poured me a glass. Perhaps she should have tipped out the first pint.

A - Hazy, reddish shade of orange. Looks like glowing amber when held to the light. Two-finger, off-white head settles to a quarter inch. Very tight, small bubbles. The head left good lacing.

S - Smell is dominated by pine hops. Slight fruity smell.

T - Hoppy bitterness overwhelms the taste. The first taste is actually a strong, sweet, caramel flavor, but it is not balanced with the bitter hops at all. There is also a strong and unexpected saltiness. I am not sure if it is supposed to be there. It is very assertive, as if the beer was diluted with a shot of sea water. I don't mind it. I like salted caramel, and it almost has that effect. Maybe I got a bunch of yeast in the glass?

In any case, the saltiness soon gives way to the overwhelming hops. The bitterness attacks my tongue, leaving it tingly and numb. I don't taste the saltiness much after the first few sips. I think my taste buds are shot from the hops. When I pause for a few minutes to let the bitterness subside, I can taste the grapefruit and orange-rind citrus qualities of the hops.

M - Mouthfeel is buttery, sticky hops, with a boozy, alchool burn. Very little carbonation.

D - I would not recommend this to anyone who does not appreciate hops. This is really more like a DIPA than a barleywine. I still had the tingly, numb feeling on my tongue an hour after I finished the glass. It tastes good, but one is enough because it is so assertive and boozy. For example, after the bartender tasted it, she puckered her face and wiped her lips with the back of her hand. That's the kind of involuntary response it generates.

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%

22 oz bomber poured into9 my new belium goblet during the NFC divisional payoffs jan 17,2010

a almost 2 fingers of head - oragen tinted foamminess. settles quick, with nice modest lacing. This brew has no9 clarity at all but with this super full flavor and 9.5 abv I have no prob with that

s - I have to say this is the bst nose I have EVER found on a brew. more malt to the nose and hops to the palate....IMHO

t: full, perfecxt balance between malt and hops

m: super full just laiek a barley wine should be.

d: the MOST IMPRESSIVE 9.5 does come thru just a bit on the taste. Corbonation is not too heavey at all. hopiness is just enuf to balance the malt. The alcolhol in and of itself, while not direclty affecting the drinkablity, will have me inebriated before I have too too many of these. but that is the one and only limiting factor. Definitley reaching for another.

MANY THANKS TO AVERY on COLORADO for this materpiece.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Reddish amber in appeareance has a typical haziness to it good looking BW. 1 finger dense off white head slowly died down to nice holding ring around glass.

Nose is very sweet malts and fruits with candied sugars sweetness.

Mostly caramel malts and a sweet honey with a huge hoppiness finish. To say the least this beer is great. A nice hoppy taste and mild hop bite to the finish. Actually this BW smells and taste is tremendus.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice carbonation for a BW and decently smooth and very drinkable.

This is a great well rounded BW IMO. Not sure if any 5's but damn close. Not quite Ruffian but its pretty close. I would have either any day.
A definiate pick up if you havent tried yet.

3.08/5  rDev -22%

I am a big fan of the style, so I was excited to try a two-year old bottle... Unfortunately, this beer is just mediocre and a bit unbalanced as well, and nothing can change that.

A - Very deep amber hue, a soapy white head with some lacing, slightly syrupy looking.

S – Smells largely of piney, citric and floral hops, smells like Imperial Red Ale, heavy caramel malt and no real booziness. Not exactly the qualities I look for in the style. No dried fruit, no Cognac, no wood, etc.

T – I opened it and wasn’t crazy about it. Too sweet, carrying on where the smell left off... Corked it. Came back to it the next day. Very nice. Much better mellowed.

M – Syrupy, but smooth. Certainly not ‘hot’. But I kinda like my Barleywine with at least a grain of ‘hotness’.

D – I would not buy this over other Barleywines, such as GD’s Old Ruffian or Anchor’s Old Foghorn

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%

Freakin bottle exploded all overy my girlfriends desk, at least it smells good. Poured out from an exploding bottle a pretty dark brown with a murky appearance. The head forms and retains at about two fingers for a good amount of time. Pretty thick lacing already starts to form at the top of the glass around the creamy head. As the bottle exploded I already started to get hints of a massive sweet malt backbone and huge hops. The malts smell of the amber sort with a sweetness that may be a bit over done. The hops are mostly piney but also somewhat earthy. The malts are certainly the dominant factor in this nose. I would like it to be a tiny bit less sweet though. The strength of the nose is something that brews should follow after. Taste is pretty much the same. Massive amount of amber malt and sweetness. The sweets are the only thing I don't like. If it was toned down, this beer would be world class. The piney and earthy hops help balance out the flavor and add a nice aspect to the beer. There are also some fruity flavors in the taste, fruit peels as well. The flavor is big like a Barleywine and lacks an alcohol bite, at 9.2% that is pretty impresive. Mouthfeel has a pretty thick, creamy body with carbonation that is a bit low but suits the flavor. There is a moderate amount of warming, which is nice in this type of beer. The hops leave a huge coat of flavor on the tongue. Drinkability is alright here. The price is decent, the taste is good but the sweetness starts to take over the beer toward the end of my bomber. Good example of a Barleywine, wouldn't mind trying it on tap some time.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

drank out of a pint glass served out of a bottle

appearance: looks very good, a good foam to the head. the top of the beer is a copper color that fades to amber and opaque in body.

smell: smells very hoppy and that doesn't have much of a distinction from most ipa's ive tasted.

taste: im a fan of a nice hoppy beer and this one delivered. very hoppy in taste and has a nice kick because of the alcohol content.

mouthfeel/drinkability: light in the mouth making it very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The colour is deep amber with a tint of brown; the liquid somewhat hazy. The three finger head sinks slowly, leaving massive amounts of fine lacing.

The smell is hoppy, creamy and bittersweet. It is in fact very hoppy, more like a DIPA than a barley wine. Sweet notes of exotic fruits, fruit candy and brown sugar. Bitter flavours of grapefruits, bitter oranges and green apples. To that, add some mature notes of raisins and butter.

The taste is very balanced, but still - it focuses more on the hops than the malt, thus I categorize it as a DIPA. Bittersweet notes of exotic fruits (green bananas, carambola, unripe peaches) some salty notes of grilled meat and broth that gives hints of salt candies. Some grapefruits and a touch of vanilla. My only objection is the body: It is just a bit too weak for this kind of beer.

The aftertaste is medium bitter with interesting fruity notes, some fresh hops and a touch of vanilla and cream. But the most conspicuous flavour is the salt in the background. Where does that come from? The yeast sediment?

The carbonation is mild with some very small and fresh bubbles. The liquid is smooth and a bit thick.

A grand and hoppy beer. But the salt disturbed me a bit.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance - Amber with lace that settles.

Smell - Malt and sweet fruity hops.

Taste - Thick, with caramel malts, a bit metallic the hops are well balanced with the sweet malt, sweet fruits and some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and thick with some carbonation.

Drinkability - Very easy to drink considering that it is a barley wine.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

2005 version drinking on 12/12/2009. Just had the 08 on tap time to try the 05.

Pop the cap of and the sweet aroma begins as it is poured in to my Maudite snifter. A good 1 finger head hangs around then settles to just cover the top. Aroma is plums, dark cherries and hops.

The first sip is surprisingly mellow. The hop bite has really settled after a few years. The caramel flavor is strong along with an almost bittersweet dark chocolate. There is just a slight hop tingle that never really gets very strong with just a hint of bitterness. Drinks smooth as silk and leaves a mild caramel taste in your mouth. This is very easy to drink and has hardly any reminder of the alcohol which each sip.

I think maybe 2 or 3 years is best for this one as it seems to have lost a lot of its character. Still really enjoyed it and glad to have a chance to try it.

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

As soon as i cracked it open i smelled the hops.

A - Poured like motor oil, thick and creamy. A dark orange/amber with some reddish hues. Slight quarter inch off whit head that recedes quickly leaving some sticky lace. I could smell the oily resin of hops as I poured it.

S - As state before this beer has an intense nose. Sweet malty and alcoholic esters are immediately present as well as some nice oily and piney hops. Very intense. Extra sweet grapefruit citrus character.

T - Sweet caramel malt, with some strong prune and raisin profiles. Sweet and intense. Hop bitterness is present and you can tell there are tons of hops in the brew. Very complex array of flavors.

M - Creamy, low CO2.

D - Low. Not my fave style, definitely needs some getting used to.

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

Another in my quest to sample the entire Avery line. Just 'cause they are all lined up in the cooler at my favorite store.

Poured into a tumbler it produced a half inch tan head that leaves ample lacing. The appearance is brown and cloudy. The aroma is of malt with a little floral hop. The taste is malty and sweet with moderate bitterness. There is a mild alcohol heat and the alcohol blends well with the taste. The feel is medium bodied with a clean finish. It's a very enjoyable ale.

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured a hazy amber copper color with a large fluffy amber head

Smelled very strongly of sweet malt, sweet citrus hops, grapefruit, caramel

Taste is caramel, heavy malt sweetness, metallic flavor seems to really come out of this one. I see it more and more with different barleywines, but this one has it too. Perhaps over bittering caused it to become metallic flavored. Seems to be a slight medicinal flavor as well. Had been hoping for a standby barleywine, this is pretty good, its just not great IMO

Drinkability due to the metallic flavor was lowered, but not a bad BW - As the beer warms, some of the metal fades, making it more drinkable

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from bottle into snifter glass.

Color is clear copper with minimal head.

Smell is sweet and hoppy. Hops have a floral smell. It also has a bit of a fruit smell. This beer has a very strong aroma to say the least.

Mouthfeel is medium-thick and carbonation is low (partially due to letting it sit in the snifter for a few minutes)

The taste is a lot different than the smell. It is definitely bitter with a robust hop flavor. The up-front taste is breadlike but not particularly interesting. The aftertaste has a good bite of hops and alcohol, but also leaves some sweetness lingering.

Overall it is a good sipping beer, especially on a cold day like today, but it's not as interesting as some other barleywines I've had. It is really not far from being a double IPA (which is not a bad thing).

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A-deep reddish brown in color, very thick and almost hazy not letting a lot of light through, with a thick two fingers of slightly brownish white head that lingers for some time and leaves a nice lacing on the glass

S-big nose of sweet caramel malts with a piney hop backbone to round off the aroma

T-the taste follows the nose, it has a big caramel malt taste first that is slowly followed by a little bit of pine and just a touch of citrus with some bitterness at the finish that is partnered with more malty sweetness. the flavors are pretty big and are relatively well balanced

M-it is relatively crisp and a little syrupy in texture. it shows the alcohol towards the end and has a fair to low amount of carbonation that hits the back of the throat towards the end

D-this is relatively well balanced but shows a lot of alcohol and brings a little bite that takes away from the overall drinkability

Hog Heaven Barley Wine from Avery Brewing Company