Hog Heaven Barley Wine - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Barleywine |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-05-2002

This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficianados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.
4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

I'm not even a particular fan of Barleywines, but I really loved this one... an outstanding sample from Avery, bursting with flavor, richness, and character... Appearance is a very appealing copper-bronze, slightly ruby-red color with decent head that soon dissipated... Smell is unbelievably complex, with a thick, rich aroma bursting with malts, caramel, brown sugar, and sweet candy... Flavor strongly complements the smell, with thick maltiness, vanilla, cinnamon, and caramel notes... incredibly heavy and thick flavor lingers on the tongue, with a good mouthfeel and surprisingly easy drinkability for a hefty 9.2% ABV... malty sweetness cancels out the alcohol and you are left with an all-around outstanding brew... Recommended...

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Amazing beer. Walked into BevMo and was so happy to see some Avery beer I grabbed one of everything they had and two of the Hogs.

A - A amazing dark redish copper color that you can barely see through. No sediment of any sort.

S - Very malty sweet withs nice hop notes, nicely balanced.

T - Nice crisp malty start with a lingering hop finish.

M - Not as thick as I was expecting it to be. Nice light feel for a Barleywine.

D - Awesome!! You can easily drink two of them.

Extremely happy with this purchase. Highly reccomended.

Across the board, this was a good beer. Everything about it screamed "Barleywine" to me. It smelled, looked, tasted, and felt exactly the way I would expect from a barleywine. I'm pleased because I have recently tried several offerings from Avery that have been somewhat disappointing. There was nothing exceptional about this beer. Unfortunately, this review is probably not very helpful if you do not know what I expect from a barleywine. But, if you want to find out, try this beer.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%

This is the second bottle I've had of HOG HEAVEN. No freshness mark of any kind .. just an 07 etching on the bottom of the glass. High in alcohol and hops so I have no worries about this beer going bad.

Appearance - A pretty bronze with red tint .. lots of bubbles and some head that fades too quickily. Lots of sticky laceness already showing up.

Smell - Oh man.. I can sniff this beer all night. The aroma reminds me squeezed orange skin. Hints of fusel alcohol .. maybe some pineapple. I really love this aroma.

Taste - Started out at 55º .. a harsh bitterness not unlike DFH 90 Min IPA .. leaving the tongue a bit dry. Some sweetness underneath that hop punch. Definetly fruity but hasn't developed into something I can recognize.

Going back to smell.... this one is tops. Citrusy hop .. fresh pine trees... and yes more fusel alcohol. Usually this is a negative, but this combination makes me want to sniff even more before taking a gulp.

More Taste - warmed up I get hints of lemon, melon, pineapple ... and finally cherries. These tastes are so noticeable, every gulp is meant to be savored. The bitterness is masked so well, this one almost goes into Double IPA territory. Granted I've only had one barleywine before (Bigfoot) and from what I can remember that was harsh bitterness with not so much sweetness. This is the perfect marriage between DIPA & Barleywine.

Mouthfeel - Warming up this one is so smooth and silky. The carbonation settles down on the bottom 1/3 of the bomber.

Drinkability - well, one bomber is good enough for one day. I'm getting a nice buzz already. To have a second bottle would be to cheapen the experience in my book.

This beer is a great value .. $4.99 for a bomber at the local liquor store. It's not something I would have everyday, but on a cool night like this one, this one fits the bill.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from an Avery 22 oz. bottle as a reddish brown brew with a fluffy light brown head. I bought this about a month ago - there is no freshness or bottled date so I don't know its age. The aroma shows malt sweetness and hoppiness, which carries through to the taste that also includes a degree of spice and carbonation. The alcohol becomes more warming at the finish. I don't feel like I am in heaven, but the warmth and spice is welcome on a cold winter evening.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It poured a orange red caramel color with a small head that fell in a minute. It smelled of strong hops and sweet caramel. the taste was great it had of course a strong hoppy flavor (duh its a barleywine) but it also had some citrus, malt and caramel flavors. The bitterness was pretty strong because of the hops but quickly mellows out in the after taste but it causes a bit of dryness in the mouth during that time. I doubt I could take down two of these in a row but it was good for one bottle.

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

big ups to barefootbrewer and his aunt for coming over to my place last night and allowing me to enjoy and review this beer with them.

i drank this beer out of a delirium tremens glass.

this beer poured a light brown color with some orange highlights. the minimal tan head dissipated quickly leaving a few bubbles and little lacing.

this beer smelled like hops and alcohol upon the first whiff. granted, my sniffer was only at about 60% due to a bit of sinus troubles. over time the beer really mellowed and a malty smell was easily detectable.

ok, the side of the bottle said this beer was brewed with two and a half pounds of columbus dry hops. it actually tastes more like a double ipa at first than anywhere close to any of the barley wines i have tried. the initial taste was big on hops and big on alcohol. a bit bitter, but that faded over time and the malty sweetness came out and this became one really tasty, interesting beer.

the mouthfeel of this beer was a bit thin at first, but by the time about half through, it had become quite fluffy and pleasant. i detected a touch of sticky, but not until the end. awesome.

i think this is a great beer. easy to drink. as barefootbrewer said, it would be interesting to lay a couple of these down for a while to see where it goes. i can only see it getting better.

an awesome beer. still say it's more like a double ipa than a barley wine though.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer poured a brown color with an orange tinge. There was a noticeable head that fell within minutes. The aroma is malty and caramel. This is quite hoppy as well, although the hop aroma mellows as the beer warms. The taste is malty and bold - hops are very prominent. The mouthfeel is full and leaves a slickness in the back of the throat. Overall, this is a tasty brew that I'd almost call a cross between a barleywine and DIPA. I think this would be a great beer to lay back in the cellar for a few years.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

first i have to say i love the picture on this bottle...reminds me of pink floyd which i love to listen to while drinking some good beers like this one...

A--a copper/lite chestnut color...almost like the inside of a peanut...golden hues on the edges of the glass....looks pretty..nice lasting head that never quite goes away completely...

S--first smell is of sweet hops...and a hell of a lot of them too...alcohol slightly cuts through but is not at all overwhelming..there is a citrus smell but im not exactly sure which one exactly followed by a piney notes singing cheerfully

T--first reaction was BITTER BITTER BITTER...but quickly recedes into nicely proportioned sweet malts...alcohol is noticeable when it warms but is still not overpowering...citrus and pine again here....grassy aftertaste with alcohol following...think about what it would taste like sitting on a freshly cut lawn drinking a good ipa...

M-- smooth and silky...thats all i can say about that

D-- wow you really start to feel that alcohol after the first half of your bomber and since this is only sold in bombers i'd limit it to 2 maybe 3 whole 22ozs before your done for the night....

i love this beer and i plan on buying outt he only store near me that i know sells it everytime they get some in...maybe i'll leave one or two for some other lucky beer lover ;)

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

After drinking a slew of IPAs I wasn't sure what to get. My server recommend Hog Heaven. Malty, chewy, piney notes with brown sugar overtones. A very nice barley wine with a lighter than usual color. This beer had nice character with an excellent palate finish. Not overly sweet - sort of a cross between a heavy barley wine and an ale. Kind of like dessert!

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Hog Heaven pours a clear dark brown and red with a lot of head of course. The nose is fairly muted with what seems like a mild pineapple skin smell. The flavor is smooth with a fruity edge...maybe raspberry and oranges together....but just a little bit. Overall it is a smooth and even brew with little going against it.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a pint glass on 10/1/07
A: When opened, foam came out of the top. In glass, the beer appears cloudy orange-red with a quickly subsiding head. A layer of foam sticks around.
S: Baked apple crisp, vegetal smell as well.
T: Quite bitter up front, upon closer inspection, I found this beer has 110 IBUs! Amazing! More of a DIPA in my opinion. The hoppiness is not well balanced with the maltiness.
M: Bracingly bitter.
D: Alcohol felt in my head, a little in my mouth at the last sip due to warmth.

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass,

A: A cloudy amber ruby brown with a inch and a half quiet sandy head that buubles down a bit and leaves nice lacing as it goes, it is interesting to see that the head lasts without some kind of carbonation holding it up

S: You could have told me this was a DIPA when you handed it to me and I would have believed you, big greasy piny hops hit the nose, mellon, not bad just not what I was expecting, smells quite fresh as well so bonus points

T/MF: Open like a DIPA as well, but after some time in the mouth the beer begins to distinguish itself. Like I said before it opens much like a DIPA with a strong sticky hit of mellon and pine but as it warms a bit something interesting happens and the beer beings to attach itself to a different part of the tongue, on the first sip it was the back hammering home a tingly bitterness but then it moves off toward the sides and center of the tongue and I'm not going to call it bready because it certainly isnt, but it is a very distictive herbal or floral spicy note that I cannot quite put my finger on, very interesting. After a few sips the tongue is left feeling like sandpaper.

D: I really wasn't expecting this from a barleywine I was expecting something a bit sweeter and barleyier, but really this is a highly drinkable beer nonetheless and very fresh to boot, so I have no complaints here.

Photo of
3.91/5  rDev -1%

22oz. bottle. 100 IBU's.

Clear, deep amber color. Medium sized, light tan, creamy head. Lively looking liquid (say that 3 times fast). Good legs & lacing.

Aroma was fruity, citrus and cherries, and herbal. Some earthiness. Surprisingly mild overall.

Taste was very big - big hops supported by a strong malt backbone. Surprisingly balanced. Alcohol well hidden. Sweetness comes across as cherries, oranges and some caramel. Hops were citrus in quality. Overall, more bitter than sweet. Nice, lingering, aspirin-like bitterness.

Medium+ body. Medium - carbonation. More sweet than dry. Alcohol warming hits quickly.

Very drinkable, scarily so for ABV. Probably the hoppiest barleywine I've ever had, are we sure this isn't a DIPA? I liked it a lot, a barleywine for hopheads.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured in a straight southern english pint, thank you jasonjlewis for your most generous trade!

Pours deep orange with a incredible head, just poping the cap my nose was hit with delicious hops!! Aroma of american grown hops and a sweet caramely malt, very intense smell, I could dip my nose in the glass all night. Taste is very hop oriented with a sweet malt background to help it out. Very bitter but incredibly well balanced. A little more viscosity than usual in the mouthfell, I'd guess final gravity might be on the high side, but I'm digin' it.

I need a recipe like this, its freaking good beer.

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Cloudy orange, maybe a bit toward brown, including ruby and home-made caramel colors. The head is decent and enduring.

Smell: Milk chocolate first hits me. Then I get a whiff of steely black cherries and raisins. There's a bit of alcohol in there. Then the hops come out. At first, it is a bit of citrus aroma, followed by other spicy hops, with piney scents, too. Cascade grapefruit aroma emerges as the beer warms.

Taste: Hops forward, middle, and back. Alcohol is a steady, but unobtrusive visitor for the entire process. I get hints of DMS throughout - maybe it is a misinterpretation of some hops combination? The hops early on have citrus, which thins it out a bit. I associate this with a Magnum bittering/Cascade flavor and aroma combination, and it fits in great here. I get a flavor of the medium dark roast malts, like Crystal 60. It's great - the alcohol is well masked by the absurd hops, which somehow manage to stand out among the rest of the Barley Wine style of flavors. This is balanced - actually perhaps a bit towards the hops side. I thought that was impossible. Very impressive.

Mouthfeel: It sticks around, no doubt about that. There are lots of hops and a bit of booze that make it last in your mouth. Of course, a Barley Wine should stick to everything it touches, but that can at times get to be a bit much. It is thin for a Barley Wine, but heavy for average beer - a combination that pairs with the flavor very well.

Drinkability: Awesome. This is an IPA Barley Wine. It is excellent and heavenly for enjoyable sipping. At the same time, it goes down easy, so you could mistakenly drink it fast. I only wish it came in 12-oz bottles so I could more precisely dose myself with this nectar. I did nibble on some Clawson Blue Stilton at times in this beer, which was nice, but it also held its own without the cheese.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

22oz bottle purchased for $5.99 on 12-2-7 at Orenco New Seasons.

Pours amberish-orange with a cream colored head that stands tall and dissipates very slowly, leaving webs of sticky lacing in its wake.

The aroma is huge with citrus hop character such as tangerine and lime. The malt struggles to fight past this tremendous hop presence, but does reveal itself in the taste. But make no mistake about it, this beer is all about the hops. There is a faint candy-like sweetness that helps to balance out the pronounced bitterness, but the highlight of this beer is the citrus character. It'll be interesting to see how well this does with a bit of age behind it.

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured on-tap at Vintage, this interesting Barley Wine shines a bright amber copper with some golden highlights. The light beige head is thick, frothy and holds well. Nice lace results.

The aroma is hoppy with sweet fruit; citrus, apricot, and cherry. Malty with just a hint of a floral note. Appetizing and pronounced.

Nice and bitter; dry but still floral hoppiness. Some sweet citrus and good depth and additional light malt. Clean but heavy. Really big hops, especially for the style. The booze is present but not overpowering.

Heavy in texture with a velvety smoothness. Some good warmth, characteristic of the style. Very nice. Flavorful and complex.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

22oz. Bottle was a gift. Thanks!

Poured into Snifter. Nice dark brown almost chocolate color. Amazing Bubbles and good 3/4 inch head that dies down to light lacy layer over top of brew. Somewhat hazy.

Very nice aroma. Not like hogs, hopefully like Heaven. I get hints of copper, dark fruit and barley. Suddenly, I want breakfast.

Taste is probably one of the best barley wines I've had. Not so bitter that it drinks slow. A good balance of sweetness that made it quite palatable.. Taste buds kind of off tonight, but in general, a good is earned after some lesser barleywines earlier in the week. Actually, I tried to streach this one out over a movie, and it just didn't happen. It was that good. The 9.2% is not detectable, but I know its there.

Right now, I wish I had a good steak to go with this brew. Maybe some spicy fajitas would be a good choice because of the slight yet present sweetness. I did try a tad of well aged sharp cheddar, but I think it was to late into the beer to have a noticable effect.

I have had Avery selections before, and this makes me wonder why I don't try them more often.

Thank you much to the friend who turned me on to this brew.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Apperance: Brown/amber color with a great initial head and good retention.

Smell: Caramel malts and pale malts that are undertones to a strong cascade hoppiness.

Taste: caramel and pale malt sweetness followed by a nice cascade hop bitterness to balance. Nice huge sweetness from the malts and the hop bitterness is a nice compliment to the sweetness. Crazy sweetness and bitterness. Nice.

Nice carbonation and the oils from the hops aren't overbearing on the palate.

A good barleywine. One I will definetly try again.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A wicked looking barley wine that I could see next too Trent Reznor in an old NIN video. Ruby highlights, bright and clean amber with a large thick head that fades into some trace lacing but hold up very well considering the ABV.

One of those that from the nose I'm wondering is this a DIPA or a Barley wine? The thick toffee and caramel malt notes mixed with the fig and dates helps the realization of a BW. Very floral citrusy hops are juicy in the nose.

Good body, not overly big but no slouch. Alcohol shows through in the mouth with a bit of a straight whiskey feel to it. Defintely a sipper. The fig and tofee in this really help keep the hops at bay yet the hops overpower this young BW. This will age wonderfully and I'd much enjoy a year old bottle. A golden raisin quality with slight mollasses. Not hugely complex but sometimes they don't need to be.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

22oz foil capped bottle into my Brewer's Art goblet.

Pours a hazy (that eventually clears out) medium dark amber with a medium sized off-white head that eventually settled down and left some great lacing. Aroma is straight up the nose thick with the huge grainy sweetness of caramel. Another deep whiff unveils fresh piney hots and some alcohol in the background.

Taste is a hugely smooth yet chewey malt background of caramel and oats. That is outset nicely by an extremely intense hop blast of citrus and resin. Bitterness lasts well into the finish and helps smooth out some rather noticable heat causing both to linger prominently on the palatte. Mouthfeel is moderately thick and viscous with a moderate alcohol presence that I think adds to it's beefy nature.

This is a great example of a big American Barleywine. A large and flavorful malt background balanced nicely by a equally huge hop profile and it isn't afraid to wear a little alcohol on it's sleave. A steady sipper for sure, that's quick to consume and one that I'm quite glad to have enjoyed.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

When poured, the color was of a hazy medium amber with a reddish hue that pourd medium thick. The smell of roasted malts and hops filled the nose, also a hint of candy was evident. The taste was of a well balance of bitter and sweetness. The flavor was of roasted malts, hops, caramel and some sort of fruit. Can't put my hands on it, but it could be figs of a nature. Overall, the balance of sweetness and bitterness didn't over power the flavors. Another winner from Avery Brewing!

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Had this at Z Cucina with Adam Avery. It was an evening of pairing delicious food with two beers at each course. Great food, and great beer!

On this beer, Adam explained that they started making this over ten years ago which was before the double IPA style really came into popularity. He admitted that today this beer could be lumped into the double IPA. Another cool background story.

This one pours a copper color with a thick, and foamy off white head. Some lacing is left behind on the glass. Smell is piney hops, grape, thick malt. It definitely smells strong like a barleywine. The first sip reminds me of a barleywine, but the finish is not as strong. Reminds me of a Double IPA in the finish, and the mouth feeling. Not as harsh as a barleywine and almost as smooth as some double IPA's.

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%

P: 1 Pint 6 oz. Brown Bottle 9.2% by Volume with no date stamp.

A: slightly thick darl amber with a touch of red Robust three fingers of foam that quieted to a cover and huge lacing.

S: Delicious rich tones of caramel and brown sugar, raisins and figs. Deep and full smells that fill the nose. I could smell this one all night.

T: Starts with a hint of sour and bitter on the tongue and then blooms into a slightly sweet malt and smooth grainy finish that the mouth is trying to decipher long after it’s gone.

M: This is a great sipper so that needs to be savored. While it is huge in taste for all of the mouth, I find it a refreshing and complex as it changes notes as it warms

D: I like it a lot and will have again. A great way to end the day or after a great dinner. Damn, now I need to go out and by a smoking jacket, a dog and a fireplace!

Hog Heaven Barley Wine from Avery Brewing Company