1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hog Heaven Barley Wine - Avery Brewing Company

Hog Heaven Barley WineHog Heaven Barley Wine

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Barleywine |  9.20% ABV

This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficianados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-05-2002)
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

madman45, Mar 13, 2012

DTown, Mar 11, 2012

Jstark5150, Mar 11, 2012

Jsmitty1967, Mar 10, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Hog Heaven - i took one look at the bottle and new I had to give this one a shot tonight. Even better, this is my very first barelywine style beer.

Appearance - Oh my, the angels sang and the bud light jumped off a shelf and committed suicide. A beautiful, simply beautiful orange/amber hazy goodness is all I see besides a neat looking heavy whipped cream head

Smell - This is smell is of pure barely. You can almost smell your way back to where the hops grew out of the ground.

Taste - The first hit is a bitter/sweet double punch. The after taste is what knocked it down a bit for me, almost too alcohol taste that reminds me of a minute or two after a shot. Still, a great complex taste of hops, oak, and maybe some honey?

Mouthfeel - Only if the head lasted longer! If it would just stick around for a minute or two more it would really benefit this beer.

Overall - for my first barelywine, I am impressed. Not the greatest beer to rule them all, but still a front runner for it's style

TownDunkel, Mar 09, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

-Appearance 4.0: Very little head at all and what head there was disappeared completely within a few minutes of being "unleashed." Color is a beautiful deep amber; very cloudy beer, which I like.

-Smell 4.5: Oh, if only every beer was dry-hopped. Amazing bouquet. I smell barley and hops and the way they mingle together is just wonderful. Avery should make a "scratch and sniff" sticker for Hog Heaven.

-Taste 4.0: Front is sour and slightly sweet, middle is all caramel barley and the ending is a hop-fight: hops punching your taste-buds here, there and the other. I taste some Simcoe in here, I am pretty sure. Finish is somewhat abbreviated, but the taste of another hop not present in the ending is worth it.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Carbonation is subdued, which works to a certain extent, but I would have preferred a little bit more "oomph" in this department. Mouthfeel is also dry in the finish, which is somewhat distracting.

-Overall 4.0: This beer should have been called, "Hop Heaven." My overall impression was that I was drinking an octane-revved IPA. Not that that's a bad thing, I just didn't get any of the tasting notes that one would normally find in a barley wine. For fans of IPAs, and I am one, you will really enjoy this beer. Fans of barley wines might, also.

BeerDocT, Mar 05, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

First of style.

Pours a completely transparent copper/mahogany with a one finger head - leaves good lacing.

Hops dominate the aroma, some malts tho muted.

Taste is a new experience for this palate. Light floral hops dominate. however, malt is noticeable, grapefruit in moderation, and the finish is dry. A hint of caramel. Go figure, easier typed than brewed I suspect.

Mouthfeel spot on for style.

Overall, a really sippable brew. The hops don't kill the subtle flavours. I prefer the English malt-driven stlye, but this is a great subsitute. Lighter, more delicate flavours.

heygeebee, Mar 02, 2012

EgadBananas, Mar 01, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

[poured into a generic beer glass]

I: I was looking for a bold hoppy beer I haven't tried before and this guy recommended, that I give this a try. Lets hope this fixes my hop salivation.

B: [9.2 ABV. 1. Pint 6 Fl. Oz] I've never been particularly drawn to the labels on Avery's brews and this is no different. I'm happy that it has a good amount of information. Ingredients, "Rocky Mountain Water, Malted Barley, Hops, and Yeast". Well who knows, maybe I'll end up putting this on my shelf.

A: Transparent copper body with a semi-creamy head (medium/fast dissipation), and good lacing.

S: Smells of hops, creamy sweet malt, and citrus(pineapple or orange).

T: Sweet malt, citrus pineapple/grapefruit, beautiful (big) hop presence, spicy caramel, and warming alcohol. Good balance, every flavor is out in the open.

M: Smooth/creamy slick finish, medium bodied, low/medium carbonation, and boozy alcohol presence.

O: Oh god this was exactly what I needed. Not only did this fix my craving for hops, but it's really balanced. Every flavor is easily identifiable, and upfront. With each sip, I think I'm beginning to understand why they call it hog heaven. If you are looking for a beer with bold hops, but is very balanced, by all means my friend pick this up. Some beers have a lot of hops, but are drowned out, some have the hops as the star of the show, and very rarely every flavor is the star of the show, and this is "Hog Heaven". Cheers Cheer Cheers!!! My friends enjoy.

MEsoJD, Mar 01, 2012

CrazyOtto623, Feb 25, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

sneth019, Feb 22, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -10.4%

Bomber into a pint glass. Pretty sure this bottle is at least an 09, possibly older.

Super creamy 1-2cm tan head, excellent retention. Amber/brown body, doesn't look cloudy but can't see through. Great lacing.

Aroma is pungent; can smell this from a few feet away. Faded hop aroma, lots of sweetness.

Slight leathery, decent balance between bitterness and sweetness. Some oxidation notes. Long lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, with a light alcohol bite.

Overall this is a good beer, seemingly lacking in complexity and overall enjoyment despite its amazing appearance and alluring smell.

zachary80, Feb 22, 2012

mechanicalprints, Feb 21, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

A – A reddish amber color, somewhat hazy and pours with a decent head that is short-lived.

S- A subtly hoppy aroma dominates, with sweet notes as well.

T – Delicious, citrus hop flavors come through with a smooth and sweet caramel finish.

M – Very smooth and modestly carbonated.

O – I tasted the 2010 vintage of this on tap during a Barleywine festival, and it was one of my favorites. The delicious hoppy and sweet flavor really set it apart from some of the fruitier barleywines.

CraftVA, Feb 20, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is copper with a finger of head that had practically no retention, but left some nice lacing. There is a fresh hop nose which is a pleasant surprise for a barley wine. Some sweet malt hits upfront and then it is followed by a potent hop finish. Not quite true to style, but rebellious in a way that I like very much!

57md, Feb 19, 2012