The Beast Grand Cru - Avery Brewing Company

Batch 9 (2011): 16.83% ABV
Batch 10 (2012): 16.00% ABV
Batch 11 (2013): 18:00% ABV
Batch 12 (2014): 16.1% ABV

(Beer added by: Crosling on 01-29-2004)

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

I picked up this bottle for aging. Then I picked up another bottle, since I forgot about buying one already. This bottle is dated from 2010 (batch 8). I expect to open my 2011 bottle in three to five years.

This beer smells great. You immediately get the sour before the glass reaches your nose. There is also the pre-requisite dark fruit presence that comes with most Belgian Strong Dark beers. I think I might smell a touch of sour cherry, but I could be imagining it. There is also some tobacco in there.

The flavor is rich and luxurious. You get a ton of alcohol presence in the first sip. This would be perfect in a snifter... you could sip it by a fire. I have seen it paired with a cigar on the New Brew Thursday podcast. You get a ton of dark fruit.

This is a very full bodied beer. I commend Avery for this offering. This is an impressive beer.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 6, 2008 bottling. I enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected based on the reviews I read here. Been sitting on this bottle for years and finally decided to give it a shot. Somewhat one-dimensional; big and sweet, but highly tasty nonetheless. More like an English barleywine than a Belgian-style strong ale.

Dark gold color, small and quickly falling head, minimal lace. Some dark chunky stuff at the bottom of the glass. Aroma of sweet malt, caramel, toffee, dark fruits (raisins, figs, dates), heady alcohol fumes.

Thankfully the boozy heat has been tamed somewhat in the flavor. It’s still there but isn’t tasted too assertively and is more felt in a pleasant warmth as you work your way through the glass. This beer is all about sweet and syrupy malts, dark fruits, brown sugar and caramel. Some spice detectable, but not much in the way of Belgian yeast character and no hops to speak of. Has a port-wine feel and taste.

Moderately thick and heavy in the mouth, syrupy and a little sticky, with modest levels of carbonation. Not something I’d want to drink a whole bottle of, but was perfect for sharing and getting 6 ounces each.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

2009 bottle picked up off the shelf at Marty's a few days ago.

A: Looks fine. Still pours a good head.

S: Smell's extremely sweet, slightly of alcohol. My nose isn't great, but I like what I smell.

T: Sweet and syrupy with a slight tinge of bitterness at the end (very slight...). A lot more tasty than most BSDAs / Quads I've had (along with a lot more sugar). Huge fan.

M: Not noticing much of an alcohol bite, which I kind of miss. I think I would enjoy a fresher, boozier bottle honestly, but most will find this vintage really appealing I think.

O: Fantastic if you like letting the alcohol mellow out a bit. I'm a big fan of Avery's big beers fresh, but this one definitely did it for me too.

The Beast Grand Cru from Avery Brewing Company