The Beast Grand Cru - Avery Brewing Company

Batch 9 (2011): 16.83% ABV
Batch 10 (2012): 16.00% ABV
Batch 11 (2013): 18:00% ABV
Batch 12 (2014): 16.1% ABV

(Beer added by: Crosling on 01-29-2004)
4.9/5  rDev +27.3%

Pours a dark orange-amber with a nice half finger head that sticks around for the entire glass.

Aroma is very heavy with brown sugar sweetness. Brown sugar, dark candied fruits, alcohol. Some oak barrel notes as well

I love the rich flavor...very strong sweet brown sugar, sugared dark fruits like raisins and plums and prunes, and then alcohol. Little to remind you of beer here, but much to say for it as a desert or sipping beer.

Wonderful warming as it settles in and at 14% ABV, one settling in is enough
***
Damn.
I wish it wasn't so, but I just opened another bottle that I was lucky enough to find at a local Bevmo.
March 19th, 2008
This stuff is still incredible and the best desert on the planet.
Well...close anyway and perfect for tonight.

IntriqKen, Jun 16, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

well, friends, what a beautiful beer to look at. This poured a dark, dark reddish amber, and it is absolutely gorgeous. I am reminded of that red-headed asian I once dated… The head sticks around, minimally, at the edges of the glass. Upon drinking the taste is very, very good, though somewhat too sweet. There are dried figs and raisins in here and I am loving that. There is also alcohol, and at nearly fifteen percent, I am surprised it is not overwhelming. I feel it a bit, pleasantly, by the end of the beer, but I do not taste it. This is one great beer of the truly alcohol-heavy beers, though it is missing that hoppy bitter kick that I love. Enjoy this one, friends, just enjoy it at home or with a friend driving you home.

uncle8gil, Jun 16, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- cloudy amber w/ bronze hues, 1/4" off white, thin & bubbly head, little retent, settles to a little ring

S- dried fruit, sweet alcohol

T- dried fruit, molasses, spicy yet sweet alcohol, burn in after, dry burnt unpleasent wood flavor, plenty of unfermented sugars

M- chewy & vicious, fiery, filmy on palate w/ lots of alcoholic burn

D- feels like overkill, too sweet for me, a sipper, bottle best shared between a couple people, not much of a beer, kind of leans toward soemthing else

tonistruth, Jun 02, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Have had this one sitting in the cellar for a while. Decided to crack it open today.

Body is ruby and well carbonated. The head is thick and bubbly and off-white color.

The aroma is incredibly boozy. Enormous malts and grains. Overloaded with dates, raisins, and a splash of candied sugar. Such a big and complex aroma, words just don't do their justice.

Taste is way sweeter than I had expected, despite the 7 different hop strains they used. Strong cherry coated malt presence upfront. Boozy grain with layers of dark ripe vivacious fruit, these fruits cling to every part of the inside of your mouth. Huge viscosity with lasting flavor combinations. A rich molasses flavor protrudes from the middle section. Hops present themselves lightly and in my opinion are only thrown into the mix to provide some balance to this gigantic beer.

Flavor chain and notes - Incredibly sweet dark fruits, cherries, port, sugar bases (candied and brown), molasses, prunes, raisins, deep two-row malt, and finally a lingering sweet finish.

Avery put a lot of work into this beer, it's evident. It's a huge beer that nearly entirely masks the immense ABV, which in itself is an accomplishment. The fact that it does this while maintaining a complex and not overwhelming flavor balance is incredible. This is a world-class sipping brew.

HoustonTX, Apr 22, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Aroma - Holy crap. All winey and lots of cherries and plums and dried apricots and other fruity stuff. (HUGE nose. I could smell it while still pouring.) Stick my nose in there and I get a little alcohol and a molasses malt character too. Very complex and I really like the smell.

Nice ruby colored with a smallish but pretty persistent head. Nice rising carbonation that keeps the head alive. nice ring of foam around the glass with some breakup in the head in the middle.

First hit is really sweet. Like fruit juice with added sugar. Second sip is more of the same. I'm looking for even a hint of hop bitterness to keep it in balance but it's not there. I can't even find a bittering hop in all this malt. On the plus side for the malt is more fruity complexity. It's like an alcoholic tropical punch with lots of cherries and melon flavors. But it's really out of balance. The more sips I have, the more I just get sugar.

Huge bodied with a good carbonation level. Lively and bubbly. Big alcohol warmth going down.

Drikability? I'm sure there are people out there who love this but for me it's a struggle. It's so sweet and sugary and with a big alcohol kick that it seems strong just for the sake of being strong. (I'm sure they're proud of the 15+ percent.) But it ends up being a big alcoholic mess.

czechsaaz, Apr 20, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle reads 2005, 14.9% ABV. Not the most appealing looking; deep mahogany with a brief cap that suddenly appears and is gone. What one might expect with this alcohol content.

Nose of plums, dates and alcohol.

Taste is quite surprising, alcohol is well hidden with sweet molasses most evident. A degree of complexity I'm unable to fathom already.

Mouthfeel is full and heavy, not much carbonation.

A definite sipping brew, can't see consuming a lot of these. Worth a try, perhaps the one beer to have when you're only having one.

techdiver, Apr 17, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to oxymoron for this via trade! If I recall correctly, Grand Cru means great growth, denotes the top vineyards in the Burgundy region. In the land of beer I have seen it used to denote a top beer in the brewers lineup. Something special and worthy of notice!

Ok, that sums up how best to approach this beer! This is not a beer for everyone. If you like a strong english barleywine or belgian beer and appreicatea full bodied complex sipping beer then definitely try this one!

A - rich ruddy brown in color. A wisp of carbonation that quickly disspiates to a trace of foam at the quarter of the glass.

S - Yes, it's got alcohol in it! But oh how it swirls around as an intoxicating mix of ripe dark fruits, rich port and dark belgian candi sugars.

T - This one is a sipper without a doubt. Poured into a tulip glass, this one is everything noted in the aroma and more. It's hard to separate out other than to say each sip leaves you wanting another!

M - Thick, viscous, syrupy. Oddly, not cloying which is amazing given how thick this is.

D - Settle down and sip away. This one is not going to be a session beer in any way shape or form.

In the land of big beers I've had stronger and weaker. This one has many of the complex qualities I enjoy in a stronger beer without loosing sight of staying in the realm of drinkable. If I had this in my market I'd put 6-12 in the cellar and enjoy over 10-20 years.

barleywinebrewer, Apr 09, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Yeowzers! This is from a 2005 (I think I can safely clain that this is a:) vintage. 14.9% Intense red/brown color. Ho hum head with minimal lace. The aroma is BIG with very ripe dark fruits like plums, dates, figs, sesame; lot's going on. Flavor is the same but intensified. Shazam! A sipping beer, no question. Long finish, mainly sweet accented with a bit of bitterness and a hint of sour. Great beer.

drpimento, Mar 21, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

2006 bottle.
A- Pours a color that is deceiving in that it looks like an amber ale (aka Boont Amber from Anderson Valley).

S- The aroma comes up and is prune/fig like.

T- The first sip is sweet, really sweet. Raisin and molasses like but very interesting and complex. Early this week I had a DogFish Raisin D' Extra and this is similar in flavor.

M- This might be slightly easier on the tongue than the DFH.

D- Good dessert/night cap beer but I could never have more than one.

ChazMania, Mar 16, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Paid (gasp) $8.49 for a 12 oz. bottle on a whim during a trip to Whole Foods in Ann Arbor. Beautiful presentation - bottle is really really cool with great verbage. Pour is noticeably thick. A dirty red in the glass. No head. Aroma is more complicated than any beer I can think of. Figs, coffee, stinging alcohol, licorice, port, tobacco, dust, walnuts, medicine, grappa. There's plenty more in there - need to send this to the Alstrom Bros and see what they say. No hops - but this could be due also to aging (it's 2 years old now.)

Taste is maple, port, quality bourbon, alcohol heat and sting, Belgian yeast, Belgian candy sugar, molasses, a faint hint of bubblegum, raisins, dark rum. This is very enjoyable. Very sharp, but mellowed with age. This'd be stellar after 5 years. I'll bet it was a tough go when young.

Mouthfeel is low carbonation, high stickyness and heavy. Just like the style.

How do you score drinkability with these? Overall it's well done, but no Belgian strong is ever a quaffer.

benmiliron, Mar 13, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance - Muddy brown colored. Zero head and zero lacing occurred while drinking. I attempted to excite the beer to raise a head but alas nothing notable happened.

Smell - The caramel malt and dark fruits overpower pretty much everything else, but the alcohol.

Taste - The dark fruits give it a slight sweetness but the caramel is the major flavor here. There is a little citrus presence but the caramel overpowers it except in the aftertaste, which also has some lingering figs. The alcohol can be tasted but it really isn't all that overpowering, yet.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy. This coats your mouth and doesn't let go.

Drinkability - I have another of these cellared but I don't think I will be revisiting it for some time. The alcohol warms you as you drink and is masked pretty well, but it is a little too syrupy for my tastes.

stereosforgeeks, Mar 10, 2007
3.85/5  rDev 0%

2006 Beast 12 oz'er with a red foil covering the neck adorned with a big ole "A". $7.99 bottle.

pours with a deep vitreaous chestnut hue topped with a pad of beige dense coating head cap.

Nose gives a thick vanilla shake and spice wafer aroma of malt base with plent of dark fruit along the lines of fig raisin and date to really send the schnoz into a tailspin.

First swigs: Thick instant tongue coating of rummy butter pecan vanilla ice cream. Fruit basket of red cherry, orange slices and bitter sizzle of citrus bite. Complexity abounds with plenty of rumination. Turbinado sugar sticks to your lips. As for any true Belgian aspects, this one is too frantic to retain any. More of a hot American Strong in my opinion.

Feel is thick and bold. Rolling around with a syrup sugar, this one takes a shape all its own. Lip smacking thick with a bit of an unbridled runaway awl-kee-hawl booziness that knocks the Beast down a notch...but the Beast won't give up easily.

Last swigs: Avery 2006 Beast is unleashed with a fury of hot cherry syrup & raisins over grain waffles. If you mess with the Beast, you best get ready to wrestle!

Beer is good. Happy BIG BIG beering.

blitheringidiot, Mar 04, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a four finger light brown head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Cloudy amber color. Light carbonation and very heavy bodied. Sweet molasses nose. Sweet molasses flavor dominates, the high ABV is noticeable and warming. 12oz bottle a gift from Vintage Cellars Blacksburg, VA. Label has the ABV at 14.7%.

jdhilt, Feb 23, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured out of the bottle into a tall slender glass. Wow, this stuff pours out like maple syrup...
Cloudy, medium-dark brown, carbonation sticking to the sides of the glass. No head, surprise surprise. This smells a lot like de dolle beer IMO. Rich, bold, strong, rum soaked raisins, dark chocolate, bread, yeast, butterscotch. The taste is interesting. Definitely way too much alcohol to be covered up. The underlying flavor is extremely complex, though. Nutty, sweet, almost an oatmeal like malty taste. The alcohol creates a spike of sweetness around it leaving an almost sour buffer around the alcohol. The finish is super-sweet with a touch of that bready nuttiness again. Lots going on, but still too much alcohol for its own good.

Rudgers73, Feb 23, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -44.2%

Hmmm.
According to the label I'm drinking the 04 version at 18.1%. This stuff pours nice but it really gets weird from there. I can't describe the smell but it's funky and I don't mean that in a good way.
I think I taste soy sauce.There's a definite alcohol burn but I had prepared myself for much worse.
Honestly, I think I bought this because of the huge ABV. Maybe this is for someone, but not me.

phil7568, Feb 19, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours with quite a depth of color, brilliant gold around the edges, medium amber in the middle, and a deep ruby brown in the depths... almost like a tequila sunrise. One finger head has almost no retention, and leaves nothing behind in the glass. Not surprising considering the ABV.

Aroma has some malty notes, but is overwhelmed by alcohol.

The flavor here is much better, hugely malty, with flavors of honey, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla and pears. Pretty sweet from front to back, but only slightly cloying. Searing alcohol burn on the finish is harsh. Mouthfeel is incredibly heavy and thick, like drinking warm honey. You can tell that just by watching the bubbles struggling to surface in the incredibly viscous liquid. Drinkability is relatively low, this is a sipper for sure, especially considering the very prevalent alcohol.

I would have thought that after almost two years, the alcohol would have faded a bit more than this. The others in my cellar will be sitting for quite a while. But, despite the alcohol presence, and relative sweetness of this, and the low scores, I really like this beer. I think it has amazing potential in the cellar, and can be fantastic, given enough time. Also, don't expect this to be a belgian strong dark, it's not. I don't even know what to put this under, perhaps american strong ale... but I think a belgian SDA should be more yeast driven. Just my opinion.

Keep doing what you're doing Avery... I love it!

phisig137, Feb 17, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Mahogany body topped by a very long lasting sand colored head. The head is reinforced by a multitude of tiny carbonation streams. The beer almost sparkles, like a metallic red paint. Aromas are dominated by alcoholic bourbon notes. This stuff s about 1/3 the strength of bourbon, so not a huge surprise I guess. Also some nice dark plum scents. I take a sip and then 'WOW!' man does this stuff have an alcohol burn....sugary sweet as well. I think they forgot the hops on this batch. Is punishing, but I can’t stop sipping it. Definitely a night-cap or dessert type beer. I also think it could use a couple years to mellow a bit. Mouthfeel is thick, but still has enough carbonation to lift the layer of sugar off the tongue. Drinkability - well, not a beer to power through, but still interesting enough to stick with it. Wish I had several more to stash away. Think it will only get better.

aaronh, Feb 17, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

slightly murky medium brown that shows some deep orange against the light. an aggressive pour yields a three-quarter inch, off-white head that retains well and leaves thick webbings of lace.

thickly sweet, caramel and alcohol aroma. notes of liquor-soaked dark fruits, mostly cherries and raisins. reminiscent of sweeter fortified wines, but bordering on medicinal.

rummy-sweet dark fruits dominate the flavor. bordering on cloying, but balanced with a gentle carbonation and a slightly bitter hop presence in the finish. alcohol peeks through slightly, but not as much as you'd think given the 15%. warming, complex, and drinkable until the alcohol wears you down. a seriously well-crafted high gravity beer.

Prufrock, Feb 15, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

This is one sweet, alcoholic beer. Thick, dark brown color. Smells sweet - almost candy sweet. Smells boozy too. Taste is similar. Lots of brown sugar, toffee, some chocolate. Brandy finish, with lots of alcohol burn. Dark fruits, some figs maybe. The flavors in this are good, they just don't really meld together. Mouthfeel is thick, rich and syrupy. Drinkability is low. Way too rich and thick to drink much of. Too much alcohol up front.

This beer could benefit from at least 5 years of aging. Fresh, it is too sweet and way too hot. Although, even in 5 years, this could still be too sweet. At least the alcohol would retreat some. This beer will knock you out. I don't know if I would recommend this - but it is interesting.

rallison, Feb 12, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Perhaps moreso than with any other brewery, my experiences with Avery have been hit or miss - either I enjoy their stuff, or I find it absolutely foul. I have yet to try the Beast in any form. My girlfriend tried it early on at the Stone 10th Anniversary fest and remembers to this day how horrible she found it to be, but my tastes are different, so I won't be convinced until I try it for myself.

At $7.29 for a 12 oz. bottle and 14.6% ABV, I expect this beer to make a statement, be it good or bad.

After entering my Stone IRS tulip glass, this brew's clear deep amber body and creamy off-white head reminded me of some IPA's I've tried recently. Nothing too intimidating here, although the head fought a long and desperate battle to hang on before eventually trickling down to a thick halo encircling a thin lace.

At first, the odor was a surprisingly soothing mix of malt, caramel, toffee, and cherries. However, after a second whiff, I could detect a sharpness to it. This is perhaps the first time I've thought I could actually smell the alcohol itself, and this is coming from someone whose sense of smell is the envy of no one.

High marks for odor despite the intimidation factor.

What have I gotten myself into? This is after drinking a bomber of Delirium Tremens, it's a weeknight, and it's already after midnight. I already have visions of calling in sick tomorrow.

Nonetheless...

[Edit] After rereading my review and realizing how uselessly massive it is, I've wiped out a lot of the original text from this point forward and am trimming it down to this:

Imagine the experience of taking down a spoonful of cherry cough syrup. If you're like me, it's all you can do to keep yourself from gagging. First you're hit with that cloyingly sweet artificial cherry flavor. Then the medicine kicks in and shocks your body with its horrendous potency. And the whole thing is thick and syrupy and coats your mouth and leaves behind a sweet medicine aftertaste that takes way too long to go away.

Subtract the medicine and replace it with a huge, burning alcohol presence. Add carbonation. Sneak in a pinch of caramel. That's more or less what drinking the Beast was like for me. Without the medicine, it doesn't make me wince the way cough syrup does, but the alcohol and the sweetness are both extreme and continuously battle for supremacy, making consumption a highly memorable experience that may not be worth repeating.

I wonder what aging would do. Hopefully it would make the alcohol quality less intense, but would that simply bring the sweetness to the forefront? I may have to find out...

instrumentality, Feb 08, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

I feel bad that I'm not giving this beer a better rating, but it was simply a case of "too much of a good thing." Dark brown with no head - had to look closely to make sure it was carbonated. Sweet, with a first impression of maple syrup that deepened into molasses, brown sugar, raisin and prune. That is a lot to pack in there. The abv was not too harsh, but no question about the alcohol being there. Finished a sweet as the start, with some hops bitterness struggling to reach through. As good as all this sounds, it was just too dense and powerful to enjoy for more than a few sips.

Brent, Feb 05, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Almost no head and no amount of excitation will raise it more than a thin layer. Cloudy brown brew with visible small bubbles everywhere in the brew. A slight yellow tint. Tiny patches of these bubbles cling to the side.

S - Dark fruits, caramel malt, biscuits and alcohol. At higher temperatures alcohol is the only thing you can smell.

T - Slightly sweet with a strong caramel malt and fig flavor. A touch of orange as well. The aftertaste is a dull, dark fruity bitterness with a touch of citrus and a bit of lingering sweetness. A bit of alcohol, a lot more as it warms. Flavor is very good.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, the alcohol is way to strong for it to be very refreshing, although it is superficially. It is almost to the point of burning when it goes down at times. Worst area here.

D - Not that bad. It is waaaay too strong. It is always strange when you are hammered after one 12 oz beer. It is is tasty and goes down pretty easily though. I would say this is an old ale over a Belgian strong though. I will probably try this yearly from now on. Note: I cellared this one for about six months before consumption.

mrasskicktastic, Feb 04, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

poured from a 12 oz, into a Small tulip glass. Got moderate head over a dark amber body. Smells very sweet, a little spicy, and of grainy malt. Tastes sweet. Very sweet. A little of that grainy malt, and maybe they hid some hops in there. Did I mention it's really sweet? 'Cause it's really sweet. Oh the alcohol comes through after some of your sweet taste buds have died off. It's really heavy on the tongue - not like you'd expect from a Stout, but syrupy Sweet. It has a huge sweet finish cut short by a bite of alcohol , then lingering sweetness. This is really good stuff, but too thick, sweet, and strong to have more than one.

jordanmills, Jan 29, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Holy crap, popped open a bottle and looked at the abv – 14.9 ! Well, let’s see what we have here;

Hmm, mahogany brown pour, minimal (of course) tan head and lacing. Big fruity and bourbon aroma, but the quaff was just top notch. Sweet, malty, port wine, bourbon, and fruits (mainly figs) all squished into this brew. Slick and oily, but still the high alcohol comes in and cleans out the palate. The drawback? Still just too much sweetness in this.

Only a 12 ounce bottle, I’d luv to have more of these down the road. And I will, as I look forward to the next release

Vancer, Jan 28, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -13%

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a clear amber with a plum hue. The beige head recedes quickly, leaving some spotty lacing.

The smell is filled with yeast, sweet malt, and fruit--dates, figs, currants, plum, and raisin. The flavor is also very sweet and sugary, and the alcohol is right there flaming up the ribcage.

This beer is light bodied, but the sugar content renders it quite syrupy. With the alcohol burn and syrupy body, this one ain't all that drinkable. Overall it's not awful for a Grand Cru, but lacks the complexity and bouyant nature of say, the Rodenbach Grand Cru. It's not the best Avery has to offer.

Osiris9588, Jan 20, 2007